- - - - -

PlayStation Classic DEALS THREAD (Currently $20 @ Target)

#121 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14566 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:04 AM

Wow, pepsiman got banned quick this time. Pretty sad that he comes back every 6 months like clockwork.

#122 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7220 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:08 AM

The PlayStation Classic is still on sale for $20 at Best Buy, but I grabbed another one at Target tonight for $20 in-store.  I've been buying them as gifts and already given one to my stepdad for his birthday, so this one was my seventh.  But I still don't own as many PlayStation Classics as this guy does.

https://www.reddit.c...ttle_overboard/

#123 Sonic Boom  

Sonic Boom

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:32 PM

Stores around me are starting to have low to no quantities now. I guess $19.99 was the magic price.

#124 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5469 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:39 PM

Is this a permanent price drop or just a sale price?

#125 scottman   The ORIGINAL smiley blank face. CAGiversary!   3656 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

scottman

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:54 PM

Is this a permanent price drop or just a sale price?

I think it's more like a going out of business sale.

But like others said, target, bestbuy, walmart have no or very little stock in stores.  Once the remaining online options deplete, I would guess a few sellers who didn't discount might still have it up for $60, but won't see $20 again unless there is more stock.  If bestbuy and target raise their price back up with stock left, any future drop to $20 again would probably sell out quickly.

Never got around to hacking NES/SNES, but with this you can put so many systems (or just PS1) on one nice replica with swappable drive very easily (assuming a compatible drive formatted correctly and  $3 OTG cable to avoid burning out port 2).  At $40 all in, worth it.

#126 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   314 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:59 PM

Targets around me still have stock after a long time at $19.99. This is going to vary by area but I have been surprised at how little people want this thing even now.

#127 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1775 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:41 PM

I've seen this movie before. It was the PSTV years before, and the Virtual Boy years before that. A game company takes a big swing with a product like this, it fails, and they quietly sweep their mistake under the rug and move on to something else. They're going to try to put as much distance between themselves and the Playstation Classic as possible.

At least we benefit from their attempt to save face. The PS Classic is ridiculously powerful for a mini console... there's tablet hardware in there, and 1GB of RAM. By contrast, the Super NES Classic has 256MB, and the PSTV had 512MB. Once hacked, the PS Classic can run Dreamcast games. They don't always run well, but at the price point you wouldn't expect them to run at all. As far as I'm concerned, Sony can keep failing magnificently if I get to pick at the corpse afterward.

#128 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7220 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:02 PM

I've seen this movie before. It was the PSTV years before, and the Virtual Boy years before that. A game company takes a big swing with a product like this, it fails, and they quietly sweep their mistake under the rug and move on to something else. They're going to try to put as much distance between themselves and the Playstation Classic as possible.

At least we benefit from their attempt to save face. The PS Classic is ridiculously powerful for a mini console... there's tablet hardware in there, and 1GB of RAM. By contrast, the Super NES Classic has 256MB, and the PSTV had 512MB. Once hacked, the PS Classic can run Dreamcast games. They don't always run well, but at the price point you wouldn't expect them to run at all. As far as I'm concerned, Sony can keep failing magnificently if I get to pick at the corpse afterward.

ArugulaZ, I think that you and I are the CAG champions of this device.  I was satisfied with paying $29.99 for it once I figured it out.  In any case, I spent hours trying out PSone games last night.  I think that Chocobo's Dungeon 2 and Monster Rancher Battle Card Game Episode II were my favorites.  And playing WWF Smackdown took me back to the days when The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin didn't annoy me.

#129 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1775 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:29 PM

I do recommend it with reservations. This system should have been terrific out of the box, and it could have been, if more care had been put into it. Instead, Sony made a lot of puzzling mistakes that soured the experience, especially at the original retail price.

People don't buy these mini consoles as DIY projects... there's the Raspberry Pi for that. Having said that, the PS Classic is more powerful than a Pi, costs less, and takes less work to turn into a decent game system. "Less work" doesn't mean "no work," but I'm willing to put in the effort to make this live up to its full potential.

#130 Shiftygism   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   538 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:59 PM

ArugulaZ, I think that you and I are the CAG champions of this device.  I was satisfied with paying $29.99 for it once I figured it out.  In any case, I spent hours trying out PSone games last night.  I think that Chocobo's Dungeon 2 and Monster Rancher Battle Card Game Episode II were my favorites.  And playing WWF Smackdown took me back to the days when The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin didn't annoy me.

Heads up, Retroarch appears to run No Mercy just fine on the PS Classic, remapping a DS4 is a little annoying though.

#131 Bivensra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1074 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:42 AM

Do you have link that you used? I modded Classics and Retrocade but considering paying for Classic mods.

Depends on what you already have and what your time is worth. You'll need to get the ROMs you want to play yourself. If you already have all of them, you can just hack it yourself in a few mins. For me, it was worth it to pay $50 for someone else to do the work. The 128GB USB stick they gave me was a quality $20 one so I paid $30 to not spend all of my time downloading everything. That was worth it to me.

#132 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2932 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2019 - 01:27 AM

Once hacked, the PS Classic can run Dreamcast games. They don't always run well, but at the price point you wouldn't expect them to run at all.

Ok that got my attention. I looked into the DC side and for some games it’s playable. I have two nes classics, an snes classic, a retropi setup, but I’m curious enough that I just went ahead and grabbed two of these which qualified for free shipping (no bb nearby or target for that matter). Should be fun to play around with this and that is part of what I enjoy in the hobby.

#133 sublime90   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1182 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

sublime90

Posted 28 July 2019 - 02:02 AM

bought mine for $20. got it, opened it up and looked at it...said cool and put it back in the box for the collection 

#134 Taijipanda  

Taijipanda

Posted 28 July 2019 - 02:49 AM

I wonder how many people that claim they have the USB incompatibility issue, just have their files improperly structured.

Between multiple tutorial videos saying something like "extract to its own folder" while showing the files listed in one titled with the latest version of the program I almost ended up ordering a new thumbdrive until one last video showed the proper setup.

By any chance would you have the link to that specific tutorial? I had grabbed one to be a cheap mod project and would find the info useful. Thanks for the heads up regarding this. 

#135 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7220 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

bought mine for $20. got it, opened it up and looked at it...said cool and put it back in the box for the collection 

I do that with 90% of the video game related items that I purchase.

In other news, the PlayStation Classic is now sold out at every Target within 100 miles of me.  Coincidence?  Or did I just buy them all?  :shock:

#136 wildthing2022000   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   181 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

wildthing2022000

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:20 PM

By any chance would you have the link to that specific tutorial? I had grabbed one to be a cheap mod project and would find the info useful. Thanks for the heads up regarding this. 

https://modmyclassic.com/bleemsync/

I just used that to mod mine, comes with YT video as well

#137 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:11 PM

Do you have link that you used? I modded Classics and Retrocade but considering paying for Classic mods.

Bought it off a guy on eBay. 128GB stick with 200+ games. They're all over ebay. I paid $50 + $4 shipping

This is the one I got. He accepted my best offer. Was sent a nice Sandisk one thats super tiny

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/254203881427

#138 Dr0p   Chief Red Thunder CAGiversary!   1490 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:38 PM

hack your own system. don't pay other people.

need help, ask.

#139 kobeisgod   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   806 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

kobeisgod

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:54 PM

What a great deal for $20 given the capabilities :)

#140 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25125 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:40 PM

Couldn't pass this up yesterday for $20, as my local Best Buy had this; the last one.

Worth it for the controllers alone, TBH - this mini-console w/ 20 games before hacking is gravy on top. To be able to mod this, when I get around to it, will be just even more gravy on top.

#141 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7220 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:50 PM

Couldn't pass this up yesterday for $20, as my local Best Buy had this; the last one.

Worth it for the controllers alone, TBH - this mini-console w/ 20 games before hacking is gravy on top. To be able to mod this, when I get around to it, will be just even more gravy on top.

If MysterD bought one of these, it's officially OK for me to own one now.  I can hold my head up high again.

#142 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25125 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:15 PM

If MysterD bought one of these, it's officially OK for me to own one now.  I can hold my head up high again.

Ironically enough, this (PlayStation Classic) is my first console since my last console (which was the PlayStation original).

It's been around 20 years, since I've had a "new" console.

Feels like I've gone full circle here...or something.

#143 BryanDGAF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1166 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:50 PM

Ironically enough, this (PlayStation Classic) is my first console since my last console (which was the PlayStation original).

It's been around 20 years, since I've had a "new" console.

Feels like I've gone full circle here...or something.

old geezer in da house! represent the OG. Keep on keepin on. 

#144 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25125 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:08 AM

old geezer in da house! represent the OG. Keep on keepin on. 

My first console was actually the Atari 7800.

Then 8-but Nintendo.

Then Sega Genesis.

PS1 was the last I've owned, until the PS Classic.

I've been doing PC gaming since 1995. Ain't stopped ever doing the PC gaming thing.

#145 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2727 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:59 AM

My first console was actually the Atari 7800.

Then 8-but Nintendo.

Then Sega Genesis.

PS1 was the last I've owned, until the PS Classic.

I've been doing PC gaming since 1995. Ain't stopped ever doing the PC gaming thing.

I know that's just an error (and it would still need an extra "t"), but this made me laugh :)

#146 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   2037 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:22 AM

Keep it sealed guys. PSC will be $200+ a few years later. Look at the PS TV.

#147 Sonic Boom  

Sonic Boom

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:56 PM

Keep it sealed guys. PSC will be $200+ a few years later. Look at the PS TV.

Knowing Walmart, they will still have some in the back room years from now and then bring it out, like they do with their PS2 games.

#148 mrclutch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4363 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:57 PM

Ordered Saturday night after Tyrok said his store sold out after having a mountain of thiem. $20 is pretty cool. I may or may not mod but nostalgia alone is worth $20.

#149 kemosahbe  

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:45 PM

Not sure how valuable these will be down the road but it's worth noting that every Best Buy and Target near Chicago is sold out now

sXs5OVO.png

#150 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2932 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

Not sure how valuable these will be down the road but it's worth noting that every Best Buy and Target near Chicago is sold out now

sXs5OVO.png

I had the same message when I ordered my pair of them (I'm in the South).   Getting store pickup wouldn't have worked for me anyways since the nearest store is a near two hour round trip.