10TB External Drive; Seagate; 199.99; Amazon

10TB Easystore is 180$ at bestbuy right now...  often it goes down to 160$

and if these Seagate are SMR drives, they are really not that great for a lot of writing.  Fine for cold storage i suppose

*personally i would never buy one of these Seagates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need a good deal.on an 8 TB. I bought a 10 TB Easy store a while back for my PS4,not realizing it only supports up to 8. So I hooked that up to my XB1.

For what it's worth.. I've used hundreds of HD's over the past 25+ years.. Home, business, gaming, surveillance setups, backups etc.

I've had exactly 2 completely failed HD's. (unable to save any data from them)

1 WD.

1 Seagate.

Stay away from the 3TB drives from pretty much everyone, for some reason there are issues with them. (Just saw that Toshiba and Seagate had the biggest 3TB failures)

If you want to read actual numbers, backblaze is very open about pretty much all aspects of their business, including HD failure rates in their servers

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

I think they use the HD's a little more than pretty much anyone here would.. and these are in constant use and the trend they are showing is that all drives are getting less and less failures. The Toshiba 5TB drives seem to be the best overall, 0 failures in almost 2 years.

106k drives going 24/7 and a total AFR of 1.68% (total since 2013)

IMO buy what is on sale. Seagate, HGST,  and WD are all good, Toshiba looks to be better on some sizes and about the same with the other 2 with others.

In the end, buy what you want, don't worry about the "failure" rate cause they are all damn near the same. There *may* be certain models/capacities from time to time that turn out to be below the average. 

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back