CAGcast #608: Stadia Pros

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang play the Google Stadia Game, talk new releases, Apex Legends Shadowfall, Activision China controversy, and oh so much more!

Download (1 hr 20 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

Today's show is brought to you by UNTUCKit!
Go to UNTUCKit.com and use code CAGCAST at checkout to save 20% on your first order.

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Armand Van Helden - You Don't Know Me (Original Mix) (1998)
Outro - Where's the Beef

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Check out the CAGcast on YouTube for clips and complete episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can relate to Wombat's movie choice, especially this close to Halloween. I love Tremors. It's just dark enough to entice young horror fans, without getting too gory or offensive. Just some high-quality B-move shlock. Perfect fare for a younger monster-movie fan during October.

Inspired by your sponsor read, I did a thing for y'all. Feel free to share.

UtTj4qF.png

It's strange listening to Shipwreck gradually succumb to complete apathy. I get a bit of apprehension to give credence to just about any "gamer rage" as it pertains to most topics. Especially as it seems to be an almost daily deluge on the most insignificant of grievances. 

The topic as it pertains to Hong Kong and China and Blizzard, however, is pretty clear cut. I can't, even at my most cynical take, come up with a reason not to be concerned. Still, Ship can't be bothered to care even when juxtaposed with the NBA and Lebrons' multiple gaffs that expose the controversy further. 

Either he is apathetic or he is willfully ignorant. 

Both are depressing.

It's really impressive how shipwreck can not have an opinion on a human rights issue. Good job not giving a shit about other humans.

Yeah, Shipwreck is pretty clearly a sociopath. There's only so many times a tiger can show its stripes before it removes all doubt.

Unrelated, it caught me just right and I laughed a LOT at the notion of Wombat sitting down with his son to watch Porky's.

Ship was probably not fully informed with LeBron's actions. Although Ship might have a point that LeBron may or may not have been fully aware of the situation, LBJ later pushed Adam Silver for Daryl Morey's punishment. LeBron has a very clear pro-China voice at this point since it affects his wallet. He's willing to sacrifice the millions of Hong Kong lives to make his billions.

It's strange listening to Shipwreck gradually succumb to complete apathy. I get a bit of apprehension to give credence to just about any "gamer rage" as it pertains to most topics. Especially as it seems to be an almost daily deluge on the most insignificant of grievances.

The topic as it pertains to Hong Kong and China and Blizzard, however, is pretty clear cut. I can't, even at my most cynical take, come up with a reason not to be concerned. Still, Ship can't be bothered to care even when juxtaposed with the NBA and Lebrons' multiple gaffs that expose the controversy further.

Either he is apathetic or he is willfully ignorant.

Both are depressing.
I logged in to ask what Wombat was talking about with "Planet Scape" but am not surprised to see these types of comments against Shipwreck.

Are you sure it's 'clear cut'? How much do you know about Hong Kong, China and their histories? How many people who are Pro-Hong Kong in gaming circles right now can even point out Hong Kong on a map? Hong Kong people are asking for 5 demands, how many people here even know what the 5 demands are without googling? But they're perfectly willing to condemn all of China without doing some research first.

I'm not trying to debate who is right or wrong. All I'm saying it's not as simple and clear cut as some people make it out to be. There's not a lot of room for a nuanced understanding or debate on gaming message boards right now. It's either you're pro-Hong Kong or you're morally corrupt. That's a pretty narrow way of looking at something, especially since most gamers have almost no background on the topic.

Wombat talking about communism vs democracy is also emblematic of the lack of understanding most Americans have about political, social and economic systems outside of America.

Re: 5 Demands from Hong Kong here you go:
• Withdrawal of the extradition bill
• An independent inquiry into police conduct
• Amnesty for arrested protesters, dozens of whom are facing as many as 10 years in prison on a colonial-era rioting charge
• A halt to characterizing the protests as “riots”
• Restart stalled electoral reforms, including direct elections for the city’s leader.

Wow, sounds likes they’re asking for far too much from China who is basically supposed to stay out of their shit until 2047
Unless you’re anti-democracy, it does seem pretty clear cut.

Cub Scout camping:

Having tents already on-site really depends on where the camping trip is occurring.
If the pack/den is organizing their own activity at a local park or campground, the likelihood of provided tents is low, unless your unit chooses to purchase and maintain gear or has a relationship with a friendly Troop/Crew/Ship that is willing to loan them.
If the pack/den is going to a Council campground where they would normally have summer camp, there is a decent chance of having those tents/cabins/whatever, or at least common area covered structures of some kind where you could sleep without worry of rain.

As for purchasing gear, getting a 4-person Ozark Trail tent for $40 at Walmart is fine to get started. No point in buying anything high end unless your Scout has a passion for it - you just need a place to sleep, and your car is walking distance if things go sideways.

Keep in mind that Cub Scout camping is a family activity, so you may also want to explore if anyone else in your family wants to participate regularly. Note that a "four person" tent means exactly that, four people tightly against each other in a Tetris formation of some kind. Most adults wouldn't be comfortable with more than two people in a tent that size, especially with gear.

Also, Cub Scout camping is generally considered "trunk camping", which means you can bring things that wouldn't make sense at the higher levels. Think inflatable mattresses, cots, portable fans, tables, rugs, etc. (Does NOT include portable heaters, microwaves, or air conditioners.)

Source: I've been a Scouting leader for 14+ years, and almost that long as a youth (including a few years camping in and around Suffolk County Council).

I logged in to ask what Wombat was talking about with "Planet Scape" but am not surprised to see these types of comments against Shipwreck.

Are you sure it's 'clear cut'? How much do you know about Hong Kong, China and their histories? How many people who are Pro-Hong Kong in gaming circles right now can even point out Hong Kong on a map? Hong Kong people are asking for 5 demands, how many people here even know what the 5 demands are without googling? But they're perfectly willing to condemn all of China without doing some research first.

I'm not trying to debate who is right or wrong. All I'm saying it's not as simple and clear cut as some people make it out to be. There's not a lot of room for a nuanced understanding or debate on gaming message boards right now. It's either you're pro-Hong Kong or you're morally corrupt. That's a pretty narrow way of looking at something, especially since most gamers have almost no background on the topic.

Wombat talking about communism vs democracy is also emblematic of the lack of understanding most Americans have about political, social and economic systems outside of America.
I don't speak for everyone, but I can safely say that I made MY comment based on MY research of what's happening in China, HK, Blizzard and the NBA. I can appreciate nuance if some is offered, which you did not, except to call into question my general intelligence. I would be open to hearing why you think China is in any way a victim. Also, when I refer to "China", I'm referring to the government not the people at large.

Great show. Loved the stadia game and how it reflected that no one knows anything about that doa platform.

Hope you're doing better wombat.

A question that everyone wants you guys to answer is that if the three of you made a human centipede who would be front, middle, and back? Halloween seems like the perfect time for you to finally weigh in on this important topic.

bread's done
Back