New Monthly $5 Dollar Cert for Power Up Rewards Pro

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Please delete if this is irrelevant but I was at GameStop today picking up my Pokemon Switch Lite and learned a $15 Power Up membership now comes with a monthly 5 dollar cert that works on anything in the store. The cert expires monthly and while the manager in the store said it was live ( I got a 5 dollar cert for signing up immediately) I saw on the site it doesn't start until Jan 2020. $60 for $15 seems like a desent deal though with just a few limitations. Here's the details for those interested.

https://www.gamestop.com/poweruprewards/

Interesting.  It looks like enrolling with a digital subscription to GameInformer would knock $5 off the yearly cost.

Interesting. It looks like enrolling with a digital subscription to GameInformer would knock $5 off the yearly cost.
It'll only knock $5 off the cost because the new cost for physical is going to be $19.99

I was talking about this with a GS staff earlier today.

The $5 a month though is the real benefit. Hot damn!

Last edited by a moderator:
They informed me of the same thing too. He said something about if you renew it before Spring 2020, you can double dip and they'll give the 5 dollar cert on your receipt and still receive that month's 5 dollar cert if I got that correctly. I was good til Feburary but I guess I'll reup when I go pick up Pokemon next week

It’s worth noting that the 10% preowned discount is going away with this new program. I’m not sure why it still shows on the info page, but everywhere else I’ve read that the discount is being dropped.

It’s worth noting that the 10% preowned discount is going away with this new program. I’m not sure why it still shows on the info page, but everywhere else I’ve read that the discount is being dropped.
I was told that the 10% goes away this spring. I guess this will overlap for a little bit

ec54551c71.jpg

Was in a Gamestop today, from what the clerk told me:

January 2020 the 10% discount is gone. 

But he said they already have been told they are having a new price adjustment in January which may mean that all members get the 10% off used and not just Pro. (or gone completely) January is also when the $5 monthly certs start.

The $5 cert is in store only, can't be used online. But he said order online for store pickup.. return/rebuy with the code.

The $5 code you get for signing up does not work on sale items, I tried.

Compare the website

https://www.gamestop.com/poweruprewards/

To the details in the flyer, Used discount gone. (Clerk said they just got the flyers)

[attachment=33127:IMG_6007.jpg]    

This had been a thing here for probably half a year at least. I've been forgetting to use it though -_-
No it hasn't?

Unless that's something from Elite, since I wasn't part of the Elite phase, as I stopped buying from GS for a couple years.

But just signed up for new membership a few months back, and I can tell you it's not something that is typical as far as the $5 certs are concerned.

The only other thing I can think of is that you have your points on auto-issue $5 a month, which is a separate issue. When I renewed my membership, they failed to tell me about that until after that first month, and apparently they just have that specific setting auto-chosen for you when you get a Pro membership, but don't tell you that you need to turn it off. If that's the case, you may want to check your point history to make sure that hasn't been happening to you...assuming this isn't an Elite thing I'm not aware of.

No it hasn't?

Unless that's something from Elite, since I wasn't part of the Elite phase, as I stopped buying from GS for a couple years.

But just signed up for new membership a few months back, and I can tell you it's not something that is typical as far as the $5 certs are concerned.

The only other thing I can think of is that you have your points on auto-issue $5 a month, which is a separate issue. When I renewed my membership, they failed to tell me about that until after that first month, and apparently they just have that specific setting auto-chosen for you when you get a Pro membership, but don't tell you that you need to turn it off. If that's the case, you may want to check your point history to make sure that hasn't been happening to you...assuming this isn't an Elite thing I'm not aware of.
It's been in test markets up until now.

No it hasn't?

Test markets

I got this a couple weeks ago at my store. Tried to use the $5 on a $5 GS gift card in store, but it wouldn't take. Gotta find something by the 31st to use mine on.

Prices for used are not going to drop to match the previous pur discount. Test markets are saying to expect 5-7 percent drop.
I'm thinking hot new pre owned games 52.99 or so

So if it true that the $5 cert. can be use be on anything, then most likely going to use it either toys or clothes that are cheap. Hopefully, there won't be a restriction on these cert like only can be use over product of $15 or more

Does anyone know where I can view this credit? I find their website extremely confusing.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Can you put the credit on a preorder prior to it coming out or does it have to be something you're actually buying that day?

I was going to wait until January 1st to re-up on my Pro, but I will do it on December 31st just to see if this happens.  To be honest, other than flipping games, I don't do a lot of transactions at GameStop anymore.  But maybe this will get me into the store at least once a month.

So if it true that the $5 cert. Can be use be on anything, then most likely going to use it either toys or cloth that are cheap. Hopefully, there won't be a restriction on these cert like only can be use over product of $15 or more
Can't be used on pre-owned, which kills any ambition I had of picking up cheap last-gen games for my collection.

Trade credit yes, PUR certs no (from my past experience).
Figured as much. So I'd have to use that month's gift card towards a preorder coming out that month upon pickup.

Curious since Tokyo Mirage Sessions is coming out and will be my next new release.

You're better off not going to GS at all and picking them up $10 off at walmart lol
If you can find them at your local Walmart. 2 Mom & PoP Video game stores near me buy them all on release.

They got fed up paying their local distributor $48 per $60 new game, in bulk, getting stuck with some unsellables at that price (and quantity required to buy). $50 at Walmart is convenient, sellable for $60 in their store, yet purchasable in smaller, controllable quantities.

I know this because I hang out with some of their employees. Fun folk, similar interests.

On release week I see the Walmart case display, and the game(s) I want is/are always empty. No surprise. I chuckle.

If you can find them at your local Walmart. 2 Mom & PoP Video game stores near me buy them all on release.

They got fed up paying their local distributor $48 per $60 new game, in bulk, getting stuck with some unsellables at that price. $50 at Walmart is convenient, sellable for $60 in their store, yet purchasable in smaller, controllable quantities.

I know this because I hang out with some of their employees. Fun folk, similar interests.

On release week I see the Walmart case display, and the game(s) I want is/are always empty. No surprise.
I saw the same thing happen at a Best Buy back when the Playstation One was a hot seller. A lady from the local game store came into Best Buy and bought about 10 Playstations to sell at her store. Now they have rules that say no resellers allowed.

If you don't have trade credit at Gamestop, then just go to Walmart or Target, like others have mentioned.
Depends on the game too. Big release? Sure. But do I really expect them to get a ton of stock on something like Tokyo Mirage Sessions? Not really.

I saw the same thing happen at a Best Buy back when the Playstation One was a hot seller. A lady from the local game store came into Best Buy and bought about 10 Playstations to sell at her store. Now they have rules that say no resellers allowed.
Walmart / Best Buy / Target has no real way to know who is a reseller. Even GameStop, for that matter. They can evaluate based on consistent behavior -- but what if it gets spread out, across multiple people.

They can impose limits to prevent reselling, sure.

Think employees, friends, family members.. favorable patrons willing to be bribed to do the dirty work.. anyone with a stake in the deal(s).

So for those of you that renewed Pro membership with an active membership, what could you spend the first $5 cert on the receipt on? I saw it wasnt usable on pre-owned until spring 2020 and didn't work on a GS GC, but are gaming gift cards allowed ($5 eshop?) or just full priced non-sale merch or new games?  :oldman:

So for those of you that renewed Pro membership with an active membership, what could you spend the first $5 cert on the receipt on? I saw it wasnt usable on pre-owned until spring 2020 and didn't work on a GS GC, but are gaming gift cards allowed ($5 eshop?) or just full priced non-sale merch or new games? :oldman:
I bought a $10 eShop card as they said that was the lowest value I could get (had to be a physical eShop card).

So for those of you that renewed Pro membership with an active membership, what could you spend the first $5 cert on the receipt on? I saw it wasnt usable on pre-owned until spring 2020 and didn't work on a GS GC, but are gaming gift cards allowed ($5 eshop?) or just full priced non-sale merch or new games? :oldman:
Eshop card didn’t work but PSN card did. Weird. Not sure about other POS cards but would love to know for next month.

Thanks, I'm a little bummed if we can't use it on clearance items (like, why not?) I could use some more gaming christmas stuff... I was probably going to re-up for another year tomorrow to get the instant +$5 and see what I can get!  :beer:

This has been the standard for new Pro memberships or renewals since the Nov. Pro Days sale. The $5 off monthly certificates are taking the place of the 10% off used games and accessories. Also no more B2G1F on used coupons with signup or renewal.

The 10% off used discount is still active but is supposed to end around when Q4 ends in March.

Eshop card didn’t work but PSN card did. Weird. Not sure about other POS cards but would love to know for next month.
IF the monthly $5 rewards certificates continue to work on PSN cards, you could use it for those and build up enough credit to pay for your yearly subscription ($60 sub when not on sale for only $20). If it is just physical cards I think the lowest you can get is $10 so I guess that isn;t quite as good. If you can get the kind that is a code on a receipt....it's pure win for that kind of thing (pure loss for no 10% discount on preowned games, though).

Looks like you cant just come in anymore and get $5 xbox card, had to get $15 instead, but still 33% off isnt bad.

I have enough points for a 10 dollars reward certificate, but I'm thinking of waiting a few days to get the 5 dollar "free" one and get a 10 dollar one, combine them and get some cheap "new" Switch game.  I hope that works...

The only reason I signed up for another year is that the 10% discount on my B2G2 purchase made it so it was only $3 more to re-up on Pro. I figure I can get at least $3 in value during the next year. For this first $5 cert that expires tomorrow I just bought a pack of Pokémon cards for my daughter’s birthday.

bread's done
Back