CAGcast #612: Heat!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Xbox X019 news, Doctor Sleep, The Mandalorian, new releases and so much more!

Download (1 hr 11 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

Today's show is brought to you by Harrys!
Go to HARRYS.COM/CAG to claim your special offer!

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Riton x Oliver Heldens - Turn Me On ft. Vula
Outro - NFS Ass Heat

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Check out the CAGcast on YouTube for clips and complete episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another great episode. Wombat wearing insane shoes, Cheapy farting, Shipwreck pricing out weird Disney mini game collections. 

Also Shipwreck's "HEAT!" had me laughing so hard. 

It took a long time, but my copy of 'Even the Stiffest People Can do the Splits' finally showed up at my library.  Did Cheapy ever get through the full four weeks?  Did it work?  By Christmas I want to surprise my family by doing the splits in front of them and announce that this accomplishment is my one and only holiday gift to them all.  

Then I'll break out Pokemon shield, but it'll be funny (to me) for a second or two.

Awesome of Wombat to drop the Sheila E reference.  Now listen guys, I will pay good money to have Wombat and Cheapy do a version of Erotic City.  Make it happen.

I'm the type of Nintendo gamer that refuses to say anything effusive about their games. As Shipwreck describes them, I find "whelming" and a bit plus. Being a fanatic doesn't get me Good Place points.

Looks like the only reason EA didn’t give us a trial for Jedi Fallen Order was because they suck. Game takes about 20 hours to finish, and its averaging low 80’s on metacritic. Nice try though guys!

I am with Wombat on telling people about the podcast. Hell, if I had done over 600 episodes of a successful ANYTHING I would be telling everybody. I can understand Cheapy only wanting to talk about it to gamers if (pretty much) asked, but that’s his choice.

Besides, I’m sure Wombat is not starting conversations like: “Hi! I am Wombat and I co-host a video game podcast. How are you?”

Well guys I have been listening to your show since episode #8. Don't ask me why. And this is my first comment.

Thought I would give you another take on the EA Access thing re: Jedi Fallen Order. It does not necessarily mean that they did not have confidence in the game. (It has decent reviews.) Somewhere at EA HQ there was a Power Point presentation comparing Fallen Order sales numbers if avail on EA Access or not avail on EA Access. My suspicion is that it was more important for them to drive sales of the game vs. please EA Access subscribers or drive new subscriptions. They probably expect (rightfully) that the average consumer will buy the game simply b/c there is "Star Wars" in the title. The Star Wars license is no doubt very expensive. Maybe they want to show strong sales numbers to Disney because their license is expiring soon. If they made the deal in the Lucas days you know for a fact that the Disney guys are seeing dollar signs.

Anyway that's my take. No idea if it is true but you guys know that calculations like this are par for the course at the big publishers.

Keep up the good work on the show and more songs from Ship and Wombat plz. 

Cheapy was right on in his take on "the mandalorian" and star wars movies and games. Patton oswalt says it best

https://youtu.be/LDCjIjsZp_Y . 

Keep up the great show guys !

cheapy, kind of ironic since you work from home, saying you drive so much that racing games don't appeal anymore. what is all the driving ? has it changed due to your new house, your son's activities ? what gives ? just curious. 

I loved Dr Sleep as well, its an outstanding movie that really is its own thing, while set in the world of The Shining. Its not even a horror movie in the traditional sense, its more like a supernatural thriller that does a GREAT job of making you feel uncomfortable and uneasy. I think the reason they didnt go with "The Shining 2" was to really drive home the fact that this is its own thing and not a haunted house-o-thon, though there is a lot of Shining fanservice in the final act. 

In you enjoyed Dr Sleep you really should check out The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix, Cheapy, its by the same director, Mike Flanagan, and features a similar style of horror, where the horrors and traumas of the past are often more terrifying than the supernatural things that haunt the main characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
It took a long time, but my copy of 'Even the Stiffest People Can do the Splits' finally showed up at my library. Did Cheapy ever get through the full four weeks? Did it work? By Christmas I want to surprise my family by doing the splits in front of them and announce that this accomplishment is my one and only holiday gift to them all.

Then I'll break out Pokemon shield, but it'll be funny (to me) for a second or two.
it did not

I am of the same opinion as Cheapy that everything Star Wars has sucked with the exception of the original trilogy. 

That being said, The Mandalorian is fuckin great! No more shitty wasted dialogue. The vibe is like an old spaghetti western serial, except there's a giant budget.

It also helps the episodes are only a half hour. 

I recommend this to anyone.

I feel the disappointment in cheapy that crew expressed in not watching The Mandalorian. With gaming news being as sparse as its been lately, this was one of the biggest media thing to happen with the arrival of disney plus. the show is only 30 min and disney plus comes with a free 7 day trial. who doesn't have a half hour to watch tv with their son lol?!

I kinda get where cheapy is coming from, in why does he need to rush to see it. the thing is that if he doesn't rush to see it, the higher likelihood that show will get spoiled for him. hopefully he'll catch up for next wks show

Maybe one of the CagCast guys could at least give Fallen Order a try? I’m hearing and reading lots of great things. I mean, I know it’s tough when you’re sucked into a proofreading “game” but still.

New low for CAGcast, audible wet fart.

New low for me, rewinding to listen to wet fart.

Looking forward to hearing Wombat's camping ghost story someday.

Great show as always. Wanted to voice my support for Cheapy in his thoughts on Nintendo- he's 1000% spot on. Speak ill of a non Nintendo franchise, nobody blinks an eye, say you don't care for Super Smash or Breath of the Wild, you better be ready to throw down.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy their games, but I feel like critics automatically start with a score of 8 before they play a second of the game just because it's Nintendo and go up from there. 

Keep up the great work guys!

Cheapy, the mix you did at the end of this episode is one of the best ones you’ve done so far. I was literally laughing out loud at work when Shipwreck’s “heat” and your fart were thrown into the mixtape. Keep up the great work guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long time listener here, and over this time i know how great you guys are at articulating how much you dread something, and your experiences in everyday life, like cheapy with the best buy story when the fire alarm is going off, or any one of wombat's commute stories. So here it goes,

It would be great if we could hear some feedback from you guys after you each play 6-8hrs of Death Stranding. I think it would be GOLD! I'd even watch a stream of it in it's entirety! Start a patreon for it if you have to! I don't think a opportunity comes up often where you have a game like death stranding with the production quality and hype turn into something like it is, which is really a package delivery game with balance mechanics and "likes" (strand system) :)

A few weeks ago, you guys were talking about what could be done to "save Gamestop". I had an idea that might allow them to pivot to a different model.

"Funcoland"

Bringing back their old store name from 90's and creating a retro/nostalgia hub. Consumers are wanting products that they grew up with or thanks to streaming, are discovering entertainment for the first time. Having a store dedicated to that focus will allow them to continue to focus on selling merchandise and not focused on the videogame preorder/used game market exclusively.

The new direction will allow them to continue to sell videogames but would be a retro base, from Playstation and before. These items can be collected and sold at a markup similar to their used games for current consoles but will create a revolving inventory base. Casual gamers will pay the premium on classics to play their favorite games again.

In addition, the focus will also have a collection on retro entertaining, including movies, TV and music. Funko has been a huge partner with Gamestop and this will allow them to showcase these brands in retail. There are plenty of opportunities as these retail spaces are in major retail such as Walmart, Target, and more. 

Thoughts?

bread's done
Back