*DEAD* (Bare Drive) Seagate FireCuda Gaming 2TB Performance SSHD – 2.5 Inch SATA 6GB/s $59.99 Amazon.com

I purchased this last week to replace the one that comes with PS4 Death Stranding.
This is 2.5 inch so it would work perfectly on any PS4 or Laptop. Care to comment on the performance? I haven't used a SSD in my PS4 before and I was thinking about upgrading to this one actually.

This is 2.5 inch so it would work perfectly on any PS4 or Laptop. Care to comment on the performance? I haven't used a SSD in my PS4 before and I was thinking about upgrading to this one actually.
This is an SSHD, so it's got a 2TB 7200RPM HDD paired with an 8GB NAND SSD that will store your most used files for faster access. So it's double the storage at a higher RPM (usually PS4 Pros have 5400RPM drives). Great investment.

I bought one of these last year for my laptop, and it's worked well so far. Textures load in a little slower than my main SSD, but the space and budget pricing make up for it.

This isn’t an SSD, it’s a hybrid drive; 8 GB of NAND flash that basically works like a gigantic cache on a normal HDD, coupled with a 2TB 5400 RPM HDD. The supposed advantage of an SSHD over a normal HDD is firmware that theoretically keeps the data you use most in the NAND flash drive, giving you speeds sort of approaching SSD level on that; everything else’ll be pretty typical 5400 RPM HDD speeds (though it’ll adapt over time as the data you access most changes). I’m a little nervous about Seagate’s reputation, though some people say their stuff is more reliable than it used to be, and SSHDs are probably a bit more prone to failure in general since they’ve got two different elements that can fail instead of just one; but 2TB SSDs are stupidly expensive, and bare 2.5 inch 2TB HDDs are practically unicorns, so I hesitantly picked one up, myself. Haven’t taken it out of the bag, yet, so I have no anecdotal evidence to offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an SSHD, so it's got a 2TB 7200RPM HDD paired with an 8GB NAND SSD that will store your most used files for faster access. So it's double the storage at a higher RPM (usually PS4 Pros have 5400RPM drives). Great investment.

I bought one of these last year for my laptop, and it's worked well so far. Textures load in a little slower than my main SSD, but the space and budget pricing make up for it.
Actually the 2.5” FireCudas are only 5400 RPM, it’s the 3.5” ones that are 7200.

I have both the 2.5" and the 3.5" in different systems. (2.5" in both my PS4 and an older MacBook, 3.5" in my old iMac)

These run great, at first you will not notice much of a difference though. Like what Souffrir said, it learns over time about what to prioritize in the SSD portion.

There have been numerous tests of these in PS4's that you can read about the performance gains over a standard HDD. True that a SSD is faster.. but price is key here.

http://startreplay.com/features/ps4-hdd-test-hdd-v-hybrid-v-ssd-fallout-4-gta-v-doom/

3 year old article showing the difference between the 3 options one would have for the PS4. Stock, SSHD, and full on SSD. 

I have both the 2.5" and the 3.5" in different systems. (2.5" in both my PS4 and an older MacBook, 3.5" in my old BigMac)

These run great, at first you will not notice much of a difference though. Like what Souffrir said, it learns over time about what to prioritize in the SSD portion.

There has gotta been numerous tests of these in PS4's that you can read about the performance gains over a standard HDD. True that a STD is faster.. but price is key here.

http://startreplay.com/features/ps4-hdd-test-hdd-v-hybrid-v-ssd-fallout-4-gta-v-doom/
3 year old article showing the difference between the 3 options one would have for the PS4. Stock, SSHD, and full on SSD.
That's an impressively written article for a 3 year old. Wokka wokka I'll be here all week. Please tip your server.

I bought this last year. It didn’t seem to make a difference at all with my PS4. If you reload a level a lot it will gradually get faster, but I preferred paying $25 for a 240 SSD, which loads everything fast. Using my old HD as a backup.

Out of curiosity will this work in a PS3?  I know that 1.5 TB is the maximum. 

I'm just a little surprised I haven't stumbled upon a 1.5 TB hybrid hard drive or a solid state yet.

Out of curiosity will this work in a PS3? I know that 1.5 TB is the maximum.

I'm just a little surprised I haven't stumbled upon a 1.5 TB hybrid hard drive or a solid state yet.
1.5TB drives of any kind are even rarer than 2.5” 2TB bare HDDs these days. I think those were phased out when higher capacity SSDs started becoming a thing, since most people would probably just opt for the cheaper 1TB SSDs, or go all in on luxury 2TB (or higher) SSDs, and high capacity HDDs (and hybrids) are so cheap these days it doesn’t make sense to have a middle ground between 1 and 2TB.

I've seen several threads on Reddit and other forums about this drive failing in PS4's.  Data corruption, can't rebuild the database, etc.  I've been leary of the Firecuda hybrid drives.  Others have obviously had success with them though.

For just a little more cash, you can get a 1TB SSD. It won't go at its full potential speed in a PS4, but at least it won't spontaneously fail like these drives and actually solve some stuttering issues in a few games (Nier comes to mind). There are some improvements in loading screen reductions as well, but nothing to write home about.

tldr; consider getting a similar priced SSD instead of this "gaming" hybrid drive.

I was looking at building a computer earlier this year and the price was $59.99 then as well.

Bought one of these in Feb 2017 for $105, price really dropped in those 2.5 years.

Beware that it's a noisy little beast. So avoid it if that bothers you as much as it does for me. But it might just be something that happens as the drive gets old; I don't remember whether it was like that in the beginning.

I have two 2TB 3.5 Firecudas in my PC and a 2.5 Firecuda in an external enclosure. All three have been working fine for a few years. These have been out for a while now and so 60 bucks for the 2.5 is a decent price.

Working in technology and from my personal experiences, I've had HD failures from Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi, etc. Any popular brand will have their issues. In my field it's not if a hard drive will fail, it's when. Even more so with traditional spinning disk hard drives.

I’d grab one of these if ps5 wasn’t coming within a year. Also my 8tb external is already full and have plenty of space left in my 2tb hdd. Let’s see how much space we get in next gen consoles at launch

I have two 2TB 3.5 Firecudas in my PC and a 2.5 Firecuda in an external enclosure. All three have been working fine for a few years. These have been out for a while now and so 60 bucks for the 2.5 is a decent price.

Working in technology and from my personal experiences, I've had HD failures from Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi, etc. Any popular brand will have their issues. In my field it's not if a hard drive will fail, it's when. Even more so with traditional spinning disk hard drives.
While that is true. My problem with seagate is much more pronounced. Everyone of the 6 seagates I have owned in the last 6 years has failed. Only one of my 7 WD drives has.

While that is true. My problem with seagate is much more pronounced. Everyone of the 6 seagates I have owned in the last 6 years has failed. Only one of my 7 WD drives has.
It's all relative. In my case I've had a few dozen Seagate Barracudas and Firecudas over the last Decade and a half. Out of those I only had one 1.5TB Barracuda fail on me. I've also has as many Western Digital Drives. Raptors (remember those), Blacks, and Blues. I've had one Raptor and two Blacks fail on me.

There's always the possibility of receiving a bad batch of drives whether hardware failure, damage during shipping, or environmental induced failures such as bumping the drive while it's writing or reading data. No hard drive company is immune.

At work our SAN, servers, and the majority of the our workstations have Western Digital Drives and we encounter hardware failure frequently. Doesn't mean Western Digital is bad we just have a larger volume of drives that will inevitably fail due to normal use.

i have about 10 wd drives ranging from 500gb to 8tb over the years since 2005. none have failed me so far.

i purchased my first seagate 8tb external drive and it failed within a week. i swore off seagate since.

Wow these talks scared me before I bought my first internal and external hard drives. Luckily none have failed me so far. Now I don’t even wanna buy anymore if they fail that much lol

bread's done
Back