* * * * - 8 votes

XBL Deals - DwG: AC: Odyssey, A Plague Tale, Puyo Puyo Champions, more | Square Enix | GwG: Shantae: HGH, Batman: TEW; Sonic Gen

#7621 Zantra  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 02:27 PM

The only new GamePass game that I know of is No Man's Sky.

#7622 PatFortenbaugh   ALL GLORY TO THE GAME PASS CAGiversary!   1045 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

PatFortenbaugh

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:05 PM

Yo to all the winners of this weeks contest I’ll get ya something to you soon. The old lady gave me the boot last night didn’t have time / money to buy anything

#7623 HektiK   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   322 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:33 PM

Yo to all the winners of this weeks contest I’ll get ya something to you soon. The old lady gave me the boot last night didn’t have time / money to buy anything

I'm sorry to hear that Pat.

#7624 deszaras   Wait...what? CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

deszaras

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:45 PM

Anyone play far cry 4? I heard it was better than 5 but I’m not sure.

I liked Far Cry 4 but it wasn’t as good as 5 or 3. I’d definitely recommend it though.

#7625 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11685 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:49 PM

I think people under estimate how much digital revenue has changed this gen and will likely grow even more next gen.

It would grow even more this gen if Microsoft got some better weekly deals! I hardly buy anything lately with gamepass and these lackluster deals.

#7626 jrc84  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 04:07 PM

I wish more people would understand how digital games and the push for digital only one day is very anti consumer. Don't get me wrong, I do buy digital games sometimes if it's the best price available or if the physical edition is rare or something but it pains me to do so because I know I don't actually own anything but a license to use the game and I can't trade it or sell it if I feel like it. I think most people here understand that but if you go into a general gaming chat a lot of them just pay full price and don't even consider ownership or pricing or anything.

"a lot of them just pay full price and don't even consider ownership or pricing or anything"

Dude...teach me.

#7627 Deuteros  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 05:01 PM

I understand Microsoft's reasons but I was really set on selling the bundled digital copy of Cyberpunk 2077 and buying a physical copy for the steelbook and other 'feelies'.

And yes, I'm acutely aware of how uncyberpunk-like it would be to forfeit digital in favour of physical.

#7628 elitewillie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2990 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

elitewillie

Posted 09 June 2020 - 05:08 PM

I understand Microsoft's reasons but I was really set on selling the bundled digital copy of Cyberpunk 2077 and buying a physical copy for the steelbook and other 'feelies'.

And yes, I'm acutely aware of how uncyberpunk-like it would be to forfeit digital in favour of physical.

I was looking to buy a copy from a bundle since I'm all digital and usually get some good deals on bundled games.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

#7629 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   3083 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 09 June 2020 - 05:16 PM

I think people under estimate how much digital revenue has changed this gen and will likely grow even more next gen.

It would grow even more this gen if Microsoft got some better weekly deals! I hardly buy anything lately with gamepass and these lackluster deals.

The conversation about 'ownership' and digital licensing feels similar to when Xbox rolled out BC and I heard a lot of folks say they didn't care because "they bought the console to play new games." Just looking at the condition of used games, the way people throw out cases and have disc or cart only games (I will never, ever understand this) to the way Gamestop normalized trading in games for a fraction of their value, it's not surprising folks who don't collect games see it more as disposable entertainment. Steam has also made digital licensing wayyy more palatable, I doubt we'd be seeing this on consoles if not for the PC shift to almost all-digital.

My cousin buys the new CoD every year and plays with his friends. He started buying them digital because it's more convenient and once the new one comes out, he never revisits the previous titles. Sports games are like this too. 

#7630 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   4252 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

My shift to digital has largely been due to Bing points and convenience. I still buy all my Nintendo games on cartridges because they hold value and Nintendo digital licenses suck and they have a history of shutting down old Nintendo digital stores. Microsoft has shown that they want to carry old games forward and they have bing which combined with sales has made me gather a large collection for free or largely discounted. I don’t think I have bought a physical Xbox one game since Best Buy’s Gamers Club went away.

The disc drives in both my Xbox One consoles died. I got a new Xbox One X but my fatty original disc drive won’t read discs anymore so it’s basically an Xbox One All Digital Edition now. If a store starts selling discs for $48 again with $10 gift certs then I’ll buy more discs. I have no loyalty to discs or digital, I just go with what’s convenient and/or cheap.

#7631 CaseX   CAG addict CAGiversary!   2144 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:06 PM

My cousin buys the new CoD every year and plays with his friends. He started buying them digital because it's more convenient and once the new one comes out, he never revisits the previous titles. Sports games are like this too. 

This is exactly why I do buy physical for those types of games.  If I know I won't play it after a few months or after a year, I can at least trade it in (no matter how miniscule the trade-in value) for some $ rather than have something that is now worthless.

The only times I go digital is if it's a title that I play continuously (like Rocket League, Rainbow 6).  For me digital or physical depends on how much I think I'd like the game and how much I'd play it.  Anything that is short term, I go physical so I can at least extract some value back by trading it in.

#7632 justoneuncle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   227 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

justoneuncle

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:43 PM

The push for digital only is anti-consumer because it is anti-choice. I almost exclusively buy physical copies. I own almost 40% of the physical library. My purchases would significantly decline in an all-digital future. Obviously, some people almost exclusively buy digital copies. That's their prerogative. Both sides win when both options are available.

#7633 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11410 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:55 PM

This is exactly why I do buy physical for those types of games.  If I know I won't play it after a few months or after a year, I can at least trade it in (no matter how miniscule the trade-in value) for some $ rather than have something that is now worthless.

This is where I am.

1. I don't play games one at a time. I'm always drifting between a bunch of different games at once.

2. I have one Xbox in a communal area that I play with the kids, and another in my "man cave." :)

For those reasons, it is SUCH a boon to buy games digitally and not have to worry about which disc is in which Xbox. I only buy physical discs now when I think it might be something I'll want to sell after finishing and never want to revisit. And when I do decide to keep a game I find myself "converting" disc games to digital when there's a good sale price on XBLM. My physical library is shrinking and my digital library is growing. And I love it.

#7634 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   4252 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:30 PM

Even my movie collection is turning digital, I rarely buy movies anymore. The world is so full of movies, music, video games, you barely have time to consume just the stuff you like. If I had everything I liked physically for movies, video games and music it would take up many sets of shelves. I just don’t have the space for it now that I have kids. If I’m in the mood to watch or play something, it’s pretty easy to find a service that has it or a way to buy it digitally. New content is constantly coming out, I just hope in the future Nintendo and Sony take a Microsoft approach and start protecting these older game’s and making them easier to access today. I was showing my family Rampage and Tapper on the capcom Collection recently. I just hope these old games find space on modern servers to make it so we can access them for years to come, without having to devote rooms to storing old systems and cartridges.

#7635 LoganDX   Five by Five, B CAGiversary!   1884 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:34 PM

Not that it's important in the grand conspiracy but as someone who games but has some pretty crippling physical shit, I've had to switch to digital. Between the physical toll it takes just maintaining a physical library, because the digital naysayers NEVER bring that up like ever, then there's doing a lot into going about your day normally let alone if you want to get into messing around with finding a different game (or movie) in your physical library if your're in a shit ton of pain.

I have gone from approximately 2,000 physical discs spread across games and tv\movie media as my health and another situation unfolded to maybe 75. I have little regret, my health simply can not afford the luxury of that vast collection. Digital however has given me the ability to keep going on, especially right now as I look at yet another surgery coming up.

I love the look and feel of the physical media but the convenience of digital for people like me and many, many more should not be discounted

#7636 gunstar808   Capitalism, Ho! CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:03 PM

Haunted Castle is really something.... something bad

That's what I started with. Had no idea it was so rough. Ended up switching to the other games, then finished Haunted Castle.

I enjoyed Scramble the most.

#7637 phat_tonyca   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   193 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

phat_tonyca

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:12 PM

There is an offer if you purchase a movie you can get Sonic Mania for free.

https://www.microsof...tv/MMTV-offer-5

#7638 braiiins   Braiiins CAGiversary!   1202 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:18 PM

I mostly do digital for space reasoning. Between all consoles I probably have nearly 1000 games. Even if 30% are digital only titles I don't have the space for that many physical games. I have like 50 physical games and will pick them up every once in a while but unless it's a newer game, any price difference or credit received from a trade in isn't really worth my time unless I'm doing it in bulk which would take too long to save up that many played games. Like Donken, the only games I go out of my way to get physically are first party Nintendo since they hold their value the most. 

I'm no more concerned with losing access to a digital game than I am with a physical game with how many games have online elements these days. I own Battleborn physically but won't be able to access that in 7 months as far as I can tell.

#7639 even13flow   Founder of GamerNation CAGiversary!   702 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:20 PM

There is an offer if you purchase a movie you can get Sonic Mania for free.

https://www.microsof...tv/MMTV-offer-5

Sonic Mania always runs $10 including now. Without me doing any work cause I'm lazy is there any cheap movies that are eligible?

#7640 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   11161 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:33 PM

Sonic Mania always runs $10 including now. Without me doing any work cause I'm lazy is there any cheap movies that are eligible?

Here is the master list of eligible movies.

https://www.microsof..._gamerflicksale

#7641 Burning Karma   A tempest must be just that CAGiversary!   962 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Burning Karma

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:42 PM

I just finished Life is Strange 2 (thanks Game Pass).  It's not as good as the the original or Before the Storm, but I still enjoyed it.  One thing I will say is that it's very timely, given that it features racism as a recurring theme and (spoiler for an event that happens very early in episode 1):

Spoiler

It has almost no connection to the original two games other than a quick reference to Arcadia Bay and the return of one character from the originals late in the game (who only has a minor role in LiS2).

PS: When you finish playing episode 1 it will prompt you to download "The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit" for free before proceeding to episode 2.  I definitely recommend doing this as it ties directly into the story.

I started it recently and have almost finished it (halfway through Ep 5) and the scene in your spoiler almost made me want to stop before really getting started. Not that it's political or anything but now more than ever, I've been leaning on video games to escape the real world. I also agree with you that it's not as good as the original or BtS but it basically had no chance of being so for me.

#7642 phat_tonyca   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   193 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

phat_tonyca

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:54 PM

If UHD and Movies Anywhere is your thing, $5 could get you Warcraft or Jupiter Ascending.

Both terrible.

If HD and Movies anywhere
- Scott Pilgrim
- Mortal Kombat
- Street Fighter
- Hardcore Henry
- Animatrix
- The Wizard

They are better options if you want to spend a little more.

#7643 HektiK   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   322 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:05 PM

Tempted by Mortal Kombat and a free Sonic for 5 bucks.  

#7644 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   11161 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:34 PM

Today was a big day in the world of Destiny.

New season (Season of Arrivals) trailers:

Spoiler

New fall expansion (Beyond Light) trailers:

Spoiler

Also, Bungie revealed what they call the Destiny Content Vault, which means older lesser played content from D2 would cycle out for a time and then be brought back in.  Also, D1 CONTENT IN D2 (more MAXIMUM HYPE):

https://www.bungie.n...tail/News/49189

Once they post the Reveal video I'll link it here.

EDIT - The pre-order link is live:

https://www.microsof...on/9n1t00m5w5xn

#7645 Zantra  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:48 PM

If I'm understanding this deal right, I can just rent a movie for $1.99 and get Sonic Mania for free? Because, it seems like the rental movies are included in the offer, as far as I can tell.

#7646 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   4252 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:50 PM

If I'm understanding this deal right, I can just rent a movie for $1.99 and get Sonic Mania for free? Because, it seems like the rental movies are included in the offer, as far as I can tell.

“ Rentals not eligible.” right in the middle of the terms

https://www.microsof...xn6sffmqnb2kh00

#7647 phat_tonyca   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   193 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

phat_tonyca

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:51 PM

They are not.

Rentals not eligible. After purchase, customer will receive a redemption code

#7648 Zantra  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:56 PM

Ah lame. I wonder why they listed them in the deal then. If you look at the page that he posted, it has a section for video game based movie rentals at the bottom.

#7649 Gideon68   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2711 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2020 - 11:11 PM

I would have gotten The Last Starfighter if it was cheaper. 

#7650 phat_tonyca   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   193 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

phat_tonyca

Posted 09 June 2020 - 11:20 PM

Ah lame. I wonder why they listed them in the deal then. If you look at the page that he posted, it has a section for video game based movie rentals at the bottom.

They are sneaky with these things. I am sure two weeks from now I'll be speaking about it with their support team. It's like with summer sale where they show 360 games but they are not included in the $40