NEOGEO Mini International, 3.5" LCD Screen $44.99 Newegg.com

Got one from Amazon. Anyone have and mod one? Looking to add only more neo geo games if I bother. I prefer real copies but there's no way in hell I can afford neo geo so this is my only way to own the library lol.

even at $30...i’m still left wanting a tv focused neo geo mini that can be modded for the full library instead of this.

Caught this over on SD.  For $30 on Amazon... done.  Perfect price for this.   If only the controllers were cheap too, but I can deal with this being just a single player experience.

I've read that the best way to play is with the small screen, tethered to a power supply, because who the hell knows, with the separate controllers, instead of the one that is part of the system.

I'm still a little salty because I thought the price wouldn't drop, and paid $75 for it

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid $63 with two extra controllers included in January on a lightning deal. I still haven't opened it. I guess that is alright because it was bundled with the controllers.

I plan to just play mine on it's screen. Not sure I'll bother even hacking it since the default game list is so good.
That's where I'm at too. For $30 I'm fine with this being a fun little toy instead of a serious gaming device.

I plan to just play mine on it's screen. Not sure I'll bother even hacking it since the default game list is so good.
That's where I'm at too. For $30 I'm fine with this being a fun little toy instead of a serious gaming device.
It's true that the games look best on the mini, 3.5" screen. Unfortunately, as an older gamer, I just can't see very well on that screen. I'm hoping that they will release this collection with upgraded HD graphic for the consoles, PS4 especially.

I'm hoping that they will release this collection with upgraded HD graphic for the consoles, PS4 especially.
No kidding. That game list would be an absolute steal at $30. I just don't want dedicated hardware for it, especially if the TV hookup is subpar.

$30 is an absolute no brainer for this thing. Those ones at Walmart that have one game on them sometimes almost cost this much.

Glad I had the self control to let this deal pass.  With the ongoing COVID-19 situation and the personnel issues going on at my job, I'm still working, but I really didn't need to drop the money on one of these in case the bottom falls out. 

So I spent the day yesterday fixing a Retrogame RS-97 handheld that had arrived broken from Amazon Warehouse last year, and I got my Neo-Geo games working on that instead after adding the most recent custom firmware.  I had been putting that project off for months.  But self-control is sometimes its own reward.  I took the entire system apart, added a new SD card with the firmware, and now the damn thing works like a dream.

But congratulations to everyone who got the deal.  Please let us know how what your experience was like with the system once it arrives.

Glad I had the self control to let this deal pass. With the ongoing COVID-19 situation and the personnel issues going on at my job, I'm still working, but I really didn't need to drop the money on one of these in case the bottom falls out.
I feel you and then some, as I would have grabbed something like this without a second thought in past times, but not so much currently. I had no problem using this in portable mode only, but I can run the entire NG library on several devices, so why buy one more that is bigger than the rest, and offers no real benefits over my other options. It looks cool, and that's probably what would have drawn me in during my weaker times, but not anymore.

And of course with the covid-19 running wild, I'm trying to limit non-essential purchases, as to not tie up factory or delivery personal with shit I probably won't ever touch anyways. For sure a sweet deal, and even with the systems know short comings, you can't beat a price like that.

Thankfully my job has been secure through this pandemic (people need their utilities) and I have plenty of savings as I've been financially responsible for years.  So, it was an easy purchase.  Keep in mind I don't collect mini arcade machines so I don't have an issue with having too many... and this will have a nice home on my breakfast bar so anyone walking by can turn it on and play a game.

With covid-19 stuff going on, I think it goes both ways about non-essential purchases.  Yeah maybe it ties up a delivery person and the warehouse has to pack another box, but it's keeping warehouse workers and shipping  personnel employed.  Amazon has pushed non-essentials to ship less frequently anyway, so it's not keeping anyone from getting their essential items... so no need to feel any guilt over this.

Is it possible to use controllers other than the official pads? I've heard the new Neo Geo pads are lousy quality and lack clicky control sticks. Any other options/hacks etc?

And of course with the covid-19 running wild, I'm trying to limit non-essential purchases, as to not tie up factory or delivery personal with shit I probably won't ever touch anyways.
How do you know the reason they were being so heavily discounted wasn't to free up warehouse space they needed to store incoming shipments of essential items? In that case, your inaction is actually hurting the supply chain by failing to do your part to help unclog it.

Worry not though, I helped pick up your slack by buying two. Even though I too have the entire library on many devices, I felt the need to do my part to help keep the supply chaining moving to ensure critical items aren't rotting away on a loading dock somewhere, exposed to the elements because there's no where to put them.

How do you know the reason they were being so heavily discounted wasn't to free up warehouse space they needed to store incoming shipments of essential items? In that case, your inaction is actually hurting the supply chain by failing to do your part to help unclog it.

Worry not though, I helped pick up your slack by buying two. Even though I too have the entire library on many devices, I felt the need to do my part to help keep the supply chaining moving to ensure critical items aren't rotting away on a loading dock somewhere, exposed to the elements because there's no where to put them.
I picked up 2 meself!

I thought the US version WAS the international version.

Anyway, heck yeah I bought this. I'm not gonna pretend that it was some valiant sacrifice for the sake of the economy or store shelves or whatever... it's that I love me some Neo-Geo, and I remember just how expensive all this crap was in the 1990s. You wanna know how much a European copy of Kizuna Encounter costs? Last I checked, $50,000. You could buy out a whole warehouse full of these little arcade cabs for that price!

Even at their original retail prices, everything the Neo-Geo Mini includes would have cost you $8600 in the 1990s. At thirty dollars, that's a savings of 99.6%! I call that the sale of the century.

I thought the US version WAS the international version.
It is the International Edition. The Japan one is different, but that one is ours. They also have three other models based on Samurai Showdown, each based on a different character, and a couple special editions. I think those have a different game list from the Japan one and the International one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently I was wrong I thought the US version was red and blue I guess thats the Japanese version.....I have the international and wish i had the Japanese version I think it just looks better. 

For some stupid reason, even though the unit mimics the AVS, the games themselves are console versions, meaning limited credits. There is the option of saving your progress and restarting at the same level with full credits, but this feature is broken. Once you save once, you cannot overwrite your file. It gives you the option to, and says it did, but the next time you start, it will load the old save.

For some stupid reason, even though the unit mimics the AVS, the games themselves are console versions, meaning limited credits. There is the option of saving your progress and restarting at the same level with full credits, but this feature is broken. Once you save once, you cannot overwrite your file. It gives you the option to, and says it did, but the next time you start, it will load the old save.
Is there somewhere we can see these broken save states? I knew they used the AES versions of the games for this thing and I'm fine with that, but I hadn't heard about the saving thing and that would be a bummer.

Thankfully my job has been secure through this pandemic (people need their utilities) and I have plenty of savings as I've been financially responsible for years. So, it was an easy purchase. Keep in mind I don't collect mini arcade machines so I don't have an issue with having too many... and this will have a nice home on my breakfast bar so anyone walking by can turn it on and play a game.

With covid-19 stuff going on, I think it goes both ways about non-essential purchases. Yeah maybe it ties up a delivery person and the warehouse has to pack another box, but it's keeping warehouse workers and shipping personnel employed. Amazon has pushed non-essentials to ship less frequently anyway, so it's not keeping anyone from getting their essential items... so no need to feel any guilt over this.
Thanks for the dissertation.

TLDR; you bought one.

Is there somewhere we can see these broken save states? I knew they used the AES versions of the games for this thing and I'm fine with that, but I hadn't heard about the saving thing and that would be a bummer.
This appears to be fake news. I just tested this out and everything works perfectly (i.e., overwritten save states load correctly).

This appears to be fake news. I just tested this out and everything works perfectly (i.e., overwritten save states load correctly).
Thanks for checking that out. There's no way I'd make it through those Metal Slug games without functional save states!

bread's done
Back