* - - - - 1 votes

Sinking city ps4 and x1 $9.99 at GameStop

#31 Yata no Kagami   Banned Banned   59 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

Yata no Kagami

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:52 AM

I was afraid this was gonna be another Call of Cthulhu.

I'm playing it and enjoying the hell out of the game, some of the controls are kinda squirrelly at first to get used to, but so far graphics are great the references are good even the subtle ones, and I'm enjoying the story.

If you've played Silent Hill 1 and 2, how similar is this to them?

#32 wanggoesinataco  

wanggoesinataco

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

The Gamestop App has a working preowned link to The Sinking City.  I know you won't get the 4/20 deal but at least you can order a preowned copy of it.

#33 Yata no Kagami   Banned Banned   59 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

Yata no Kagami

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:20 PM

Hey guys, I can't access the store locator for either system. It says Not Available Online and won't let me even see which stores have it in stock. I haven't shopped at Gamestop in years. Is that a regular thing now? Disabling the stock checker?

#34 letskissthesky   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   587 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

letskissthesky

Posted 02 February 2020 - 04:10 PM

I picked this up yesterday in the 4 for $20 along with trine 4, and indivisible (Xbox one) and bladestorm nightmare. Also got a sealed copy of metal wolf chaos for $5 after coupons. Gamestop still has some deals.

#35 MR_E   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1953 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:06 AM

Hey guys, I can't access the store locator for either system. It says Not Available Online and won't let me even see which stores have it in stock. I haven't shopped at Gamestop in years. Is that a regular thing now? Disabling the stock checker?

Yeah.  I've seen them do it with other sales.  Not sure if it's just to get people physically into the stores or to prevent people from price matching at other stores, but it's annoying.  You can always try calling your local store to see if they have copies.  Personally, I just went to an out-of-the-way Gamestop and managed to get the last copy in all its gutted, stickered glory.

#36 strikeanywhere  

strikeanywhere

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:35 PM

Use the app.  It will work.

#37 blackid  

blackid

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:14 PM

ordered one

#38 strikeanywhere  

strikeanywhere

Posted 05 February 2020 - 06:31 PM

If you've played Silent Hill 1 and 2, how similar is this to them?

It isn't similar at all.  There are significantly less enemies and you are safe as you roam around the city.

You essentially travel from one crime scene to another, fight a few monsters and search for clues.  Sometimes you need to visit one of the information hubs (police station, hospital, newspaper) to research clues as well.

The atmosphere is good and the story seems to be strong enough one third of the way in, but I have only seen 3 or 4 types of enemies so far and the game flow, as I have seen a lot of reviewers note, stays very similar through each case.

Also, the city streets are very uninteresting.  The same four or five character models shuffle around doing the same sorts of things over and over.  Most buildings are inaccessible and there really just isn't a whole lot going on for what is apparently considered an "open world" game.

Oh, and the motorboat controls are unpleasant.  Unfortunately you need to use it quite a bit.

The detectiv-ing parts are still the best aspect even if they are pretty straightforward, as well as the creepy ambience (especially for a Lovecraft fan).

Definitely worth 9 or 10 dollars for an amalgamation of ps1-era survival horror and LA Noirey (etc) detective work.

#39 blackid  

blackid

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:41 PM

What's the big deal about this game, is it that good?

Agree, same question with youo.png

#40 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   13141 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:22 PM

The big deal is mainly the price - everyone else seems to charge $50 or so for it.  Also, it seems to be a decent adventure game.