Slay the Spire (PS4/Xbox One) $7.99 New, $6.99 Used @ Gamestop

an amazing game.  initially got it on pc as bundle fodder

have since purchased several new copies for :switch: to support the developer.  They've recently expanded the game for free with a new character.  This update isn't available yet on console last time i checked though.

Might grab it on ps4 just to do the trophy thing.

I feel like this is one of those games that is much better suited as a digital purchases instead of physical

This is the single best item/deal you can use your March $5 voucher on. $2.99+tax out the door.

For those curious:the deck-building aspect is nothing like traditional pre-game build style. It's a more similar feeling to when you're at Sam's Club walking around and you happen upon a free samples table: you choose which flavor/item you'd like out of 2-3 available. Then a few aisles down you find another samples table and choose another one of those choices.

What a steal, I've put over 100 hours into this game and still haven't completed the 20 ascensions for 1 character let alone all 4.  I do agree that digital is better for this though, it's a good "take a break" from other games game.  Fire it up for a quick run, then go back to something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this on my Switch and it's a pretty good port. They still haven't released the 4th character, so I put my runs on hold till this happens. There is some balance changes all over too and some really good potions, when before they were usually throwaway or early game. I'd recommend waiting for the changes. I also agree this is one of those games is best being digital, as it's one of the better pick up and play games there is.

Hmm. Would be nice, but the closest GameStop to me that has it is a hour’s drive away. Then again, I will be in that area next week anyway...how long does GameStop usually hold store pickup items?

And alternatively, does Best Buy price match GameStop?

This is the single best item/deal you can use your March $5 voucher on. $2.99+tax out the door.
$5 March voucher? What is this voucher that you speak of?

I'm angry because I bought this new a few days ago for $7.99. I was hoping the pre-owned copy was also on sale so I could get 4/20 but it pre-owned wasn't on sale at the time.

I played it on PC then Switch. I think the PC controls are much better. I have more than once accidentally done something I can't reverse on a controller, which alone could spell the end of a run.

But it's a very good game regardless.

Hmm. Would be nice, but the closest GameStop to me that has it is a hour’s drive away. Then again, I will be in that area next week anyway...how long does GameStop usually hold store pickup items?

And alternatively, does Best Buy price match GameStop?

$5 March voucher? What is this voucher that you speak of?
The $5 coupon pro members get every month.

The $5 coupon pro members get every month.
Huh? I've been a pro member for years I think, and I don't recall ever getting a 5 dollar coupon a month.

The closet thing I'm seeing is in the rewards center, where you have to spend points to get coupons, but that's not free. OK, looked it up, seems it's something that started just in the last couple months, still I've not sure I've ever gotten one, is it sent in email?

Huh? I've been a pro member for years I think, and I don't recall ever getting a 5 dollar coupon a month.

The closet thing I'm seeing is in the rewards center, where you have to spend points to get coupons, but that's not free. OK, looked it up, seems it's something that started just in the last couple months, still I've not sure I've ever gotten one, is it sent in email?
It started in January. It isn't a coupon though. It should appear as an active offer when you log into the Rewards Center on Gamestop.com. Also, you can ask an associate to apply the $5 off when you go into the store. But I believe it only works on new items, not used items. I used mine to get $5 off of a $10 PlayStation Network in store this past Thursday. So you could apply it toward a new copy of Slay the Spire.

It started in January. It isn't a coupon though. It should appear as an active offer when you log into the Rewards Center on Gamestop.com. Also, you can ask an associate to apply the $5 off when you go into the store. But I believe it only works on new items, not used items. I used mine to get $5 off of a $10 PlayStation Network in store this past Thursday. So you could apply it toward a new copy of Slay the Spire.
Only thing I'm seeing in the Rewards Center is the coupons you have to spend rewards points on. Is this only for new members?

I do want to buy a new copy of this game, but I'm not spending 5-6 bucks on shipping, no stores nearby have it, so online shipping is my only option here.

Oh wait, there it is, where do I enter the code? Oh I see, I can only use it in store not on their website, so it's useless to me. Guess Gamestop lost another sale then.

Only thing I'm seeing in the Rewards Center is the coupons you have to spend rewards points on. Is this only for new members?

I do want to buy a new copy of this game, but I'm not spending 5-6 bucks on shipping, no stores nearby have it, so online shipping is my only option here.

Oh wait, there it is, where do I enter the code? Oh I see, I can only use it in store not on their website, so it's useless to me. Guess Gamestop lost another sale then.
I assume that it was GameStop's new incentive to get more people into the store. But it's not a complete waste even if they don't have the game near you. Just use it on something else before the end of the month. It works on new items including gaming gift cards in-store, so I've used it on Nintendo e-Shop and PlayStation Network cards. And trust me, I'm not a fan of GameStop, but I am a fan of saving money.

I assume that it was GameStop's new incentive to get more people into the store. But it's not a complete waste even if they don't have the game near you. Just use it on something else before the end of the month. It works on new items including gaming gift cards in-store, so I've used it on Nintendo e-Shop and PlayStation Network cards. And trust me, I'm not a fan of GameStop, but I am a fan of saving money.
Yeah, pretty much the same, not really a Gamestop fan. I pretty much only buy games from Amazon, Ebay and Gamefly and such now. I'm only a Pro member because I wanted to sub to Gameinformer to support them, but since Gamestop laid off most of GI's staff a couple months ago now, their online content has really slowed to a drip.

I think the end is in sight for both Gamestop, and Gameinformer sadly.

an amazing game, great share
o.png

No new copies anywhere nearby, so I ordered a "New" copy from the site. I was thinking, maybe THIS time it'll actually be brand new, still in shrinkwrap game - untouched and unmolested by filthy GS hands. Nope. Got a copy with the case in some manner of plastic sleeve over the entire thing. Hasn't seen that one before, and I guess it's better than that stupid sticker slapped on the side to "seal" it.

Oh well - just another round of "what will I get in this order" from GS....

No new copies anywhere nearby, so I ordered a "New" copy from the site. I was thinking, maybe THIS time it'll actually be brand new, still in shrinkwrap game - untouched and unmolested by filthy GS hands. Nope. Got a copy with the case in some manner of plastic sleeve over the entire thing. Hasn't seen that one before, and I guess it's better than that stupid sticker slapped on the side to "seal" it.

... Just wow.

Yup. Happened to me too when I ordered Bubsy paws on fire LE. I ended up price matching with Best Buy, which I dont know why I didnt do that in the first place.

As of typing this, I see Best Buy has the game as well. I'm going to try price matching like I did with Bubsy and see what happens.

Yup. Happened to me too when I ordered Bubsy paws on fire LE. I ended up price matching with Best Buy, which I dont know why I didnt do that in the first place.

As of typing this, I see Best Buy has the game as well. I'm going to try price matching like I did with Bubsy and see what happens.
This.

I had no trouble price matching with BestBuy a couple of days ago. However, at that time, there were still more stores around that likely had it in stock...which is less likely this far into the sale.

Best Buy wouldn't pricematch for me. GameStop isn't in their specific register list anymore. I don't want a physical copy badly enough to deal with the hassle of having a manager come verify stuff, but they've matched GS before, so that was an unwelcome surprise.

Pm went through at BB. I got denied for sinking city a couple weeks ago though

I doubt there will be any still-sealed copies at any Gamestop. This is the type of game that gets one copy sent to each store,so it'll be open display all the way.

Also: GS online/app inventory has been straight broken these past few weeks. I was looking for Wonderful 101 on WiiU: in-store their system showed (correctly) inventory at 2 of my local stores, but at the same time online it shows none.

Best Buy wouldn't pricematch for me. GameStop isn't in their specific register list anymore. I don't want a physical copy badly enough to deal with the hassle of having a manager come verify stuff, but they've matched GS before, so that was an unwelcome surprise.

They have to price match since nationally Gamestop is considered a 'local competitor'.

They have to price match since nationally Gamestop is considered a 'local competitor'.
See, that's what I'd have said. But they had Target, Amazon, Walmart, etc in the list...and not GameStop. So the register jockey said 'nope' and I didn't have the spoons to fight her on it.

See, that's what I'd have said. But they had Target, Amazon, Walmart, etc in the list...and not GameStop. So the register jockey said 'nope' and I didn't have the spoons to fight her on it.
FWIW, my price match was done online through chat - no problems (done in less than 5 minutes, with store pickup selected).

Went to BB to PM and they said they don't PM GS. I said they did it before and called a manager. Manager said do it as long as it is sold my GS. Got my game.

bread's done
Back