- - - - -

CAGcast #634: How Wombat Really Got His Name

#1 CheapyD   Head Cheap Ass Administrators   18000 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2020 - 03:39 PM

The gang reminisce about their formative years, talk surprise birthday dropins, watch this recommendations, Inside Xbox Event, Rainbow Six Grand Larceny, and oh so much more! Listen to learn how to win a Lenovo Prize Pack!

Download (1 hr 25 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

This episode is sponsored by Mack Weldon
For 20% off your first order, visit mackweldon.com and enter promo code CAGCAST.

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Tom Budin - Sugar's Delight
Outro - Astrocade TV commercial (1982)

RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Check out the CAGcast on YouTube for clips, complete episodes, and more!

#2 bickle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   840 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2020 - 05:06 PM

The Mack Weldon Sunday pants are my quarantine uniform.

You guys might like Code 8 on Netflix, starting Robbie Amell from Upload and his brother, Arrow

I can’t remember if you talked about this, but Journey to the Savage Planet was a lot of fun and is now on Game Pass. Come to think of it, Game Pass has been a quarantine mvp

#3 AriesDog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   784 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

AriesDog

Posted 08 May 2020 - 05:29 PM

Now I'm wondering if Shipwreck ever saw Mockingbird Lane, that NBC modern update of the Munsters with Jerry O'Connell as Herman and Eddy Izzard as Grandpa.

#4 AriesDog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   784 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

AriesDog

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

I didn't take away that the Medium preview has an abortion. It looked to me like she lost her baby, which I inferred was her connection to the afterlife.

#5 sasan1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   24 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:56 PM

Love the show, and great advise on ping pong balls!!!!

#6 Docsamson   Old School CAGiversary!   552 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:12 PM

Yikes! Love those memories backing up that frats will possibly kill you with the hazing! #WombatComa

#7 Beleraform  

Beleraform

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:55 PM

I am excited about the chance to listen to those really early episodes. I want to compare what it sounded like back in the day. I teach high school, and I have students as old as this podcast. OMG I'm old.

#8 SgtMcBadass   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

SgtMcBadass

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:25 PM

Congrats on the 15 years! Its been great to hear your opinions and recommendations over the years. I really want to hear what Cheapy thinks of the Oculus Quest, wait to play Superhot VR until you can get your hands on one. 

Keep up the good work guys, cheers to 15 more years!

Hook it up with that prize pack ;)

#9 cgpartlow  

cgpartlow

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:46 PM

Another great podcast! I enjoyed hearing the origin story of Wombat's name.

As far the Inside Xbox stuff goes, I feel like had they said it was just another episode of Inside Xbox spotlighting games that will also be coming to Series X the whole thing would have gone over a lot better because for an Inside Xbox show it was pretty good and a lot of the games looked interesting. If you go back and watch those trailers in 4K without the stream compression they actually look pretty good. Especially the quick shots of "The Medium" which is a next gen only exclusive to Series X or as Ship called it, the "abortion" game. I agree with the previous poster though I am pretty sure she lost the baby near full term (her belly was pretty big) based on the trailer and didn't get an abortion. Apparently it has some quick world switching utilizing the SSD which is not possible with current gen hard drive speeds.

#10 sohcahtoa guy   Boop beep. CAGiversary!   337 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

sohcahtoa guy

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:04 AM

Oh man, I laughed a little too loud at "pink ranger, yellow ranger". Thanks for the great podcast, as always!

#11 Bunches100   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Bunches100

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:01 AM

Was rampart the word you were looking for Cheapy?

#12 detectiveconan16   Delicious! CAGiversary!   7173 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:37 AM

It was very interesting to hear Wombat's college experiences and it was wild! I didn't join a frat or any club for that matter in college, I just went straight home when the clock hit 5:00PM.  We got the origin story of how Wombat got his name, and we can finally listen to the oldest episodes of the CAGCast in an easy format so we can learn the origin of how CheapyD started using the nickname in common vernacular.

#13 thefarrm   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

thefarrm

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:17 AM

I always thought Wombat sounded like a fraternity nickname!

#14 koruwa   Aw yiss CAGiversary!   499 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:19 AM

Definitely appreciated hearing Wombat's origin story! 

Ping Pong question for Cheapy, What grip do you use? Penhold or Shakehand? 

#15 willc23   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   409 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:19 PM

Hell Week discussion had me going back. Running theme was whether we had ever seen the bottom of a brother’s feet. No one had. Soon we found out why. They brought us pledges to the back garage and scattered a 5 gallon bucket of broken glass on the floor and told us that we would have to walk over it to progress to the next stage of Hell Week and led us out. They then blindfolded me and brought me back to the starting point. They started the 3-2-1 countdown and gave me a push right before 1, thus starting a freak out run over about 5 yards of Doritos. Started a week of hellacious mind games. Good times.

Reliving that traumatic event for a Lenovo prize package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 juxtaposed11  

juxtaposed11

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:15 PM

After hearing what Cheapy and crew played in college (NHLPA Hockey 1993), as well as Wombat (GoldenEye), I need to hear what Shipwreck played, aside from real human basketball. Tony Hawk, Madden, Blitz, and NBA Live?

#17 C.A. Fuzzy Nutz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   51 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

C.A. Fuzzy Nutz

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:12 PM

I thought Wombats call out for the question from the PC gamer was straight comedy...Wombat giving no fucks and calling it like he see's it  :razz:

#18 Yogart   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   11 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2020 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for getting us access to full CAGcast catalogue! I have many hours to fill working from home and this is perfect 👌

#19 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   4506 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:20 PM

I’m with you guys on the Xbox press conference. I was glad my kids were downstairs watching tv when I was watching it upstairs. Yakuza and Ass Creed were the only two things I’ll actually play. It kind of felt like they needed to get these out of the way. Still fun to see what’s coming and more exciting then the usual Xbox monthly show.

I’m with Wombat on that PC vs Xbox Series X question. If you have a $2,000 pc attached to a 4K tv, then why are you bothering looking at consoles. I work a lot of hours every week and have 3 kids, I don’t want to build a PC and have to mess with settings and sit at a desk for longer. I want to plug in my Series X and play my Assassins Creed Valhalla when it comes out.

#20 shipwreck   CAG Reviews Editor Super Moderators   7581 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:28 PM

After hearing what Cheapy and crew played in college (NHLPA Hockey 1993), as well as Wombat (GoldenEye), I need to hear what Shipwreck played, aside from real human basketball. Tony Hawk, Madden, Blitz, and NBA Live?

Swap in GameDay for Madden and 2K for NBA Live.

#21 blueArcana   Congratulations CAGiversary!   1126 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

blueArcana

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:33 PM

GI Joe can have robot suits

3RmJ.gif

#22 Curufinwe   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1091 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:36 PM

I loved the part at 3:55 where Cheapy asked a question, Wombat answered it, and then Cheapy said “you don’t have to explain it to me”.

#23 Masker13   League Legend CAGiversary!   360 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:24 PM

Loved hearing about the crew's fraternity days, always good getting some background on the geniuses behind the CAGcast.

#24 JubeiDar   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   43 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

JubeiDar

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:35 AM

Colteastwood on YouTube has the inside xbox series x trailers in succession in 4k60. But I don't think Next-gen improvements will be visible for about 1-2 years, honestly like most console generations.

#25 guju900   flash CAGiversary!   76 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2020 - 12:01 PM

Another great CAG Cast is in the ether of the RSS feed!
All around great episode with discussions of years past and seeing the formative years of Cheapy.

I’m glad to see that all of you have stayed the same and true to yourself over the years, really great to know Cheapy couldn’t get laid and Wombat was always a Wombat, it just took college to figure it out!

What’s missing is shipwreck stories! We need more of those!

More questions!
Why does Wombat always say breads done?
How did you both meet?
Why doesn’t Shipwreck do his postcast anymore?
Which one of you have wanted to quick the show before?
How does it feel to have done this for 15 years?

Special thanks to Mr. Cheapy for thinking of the audience and making improvements to RSS feed and much more for the 15 year anniversary. I’ve been listening since you started, when I was in middle school!

#26 guju900   flash CAGiversary!   76 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2020 - 12:01 PM

Another great CAG Cast is in the ether of the RSS feed!
All around great episode with discussions of years past and seeing the formative years of Cheapy.

I’m glad to see that all of you have stayed the same and true to yourself over the years, really great to know Cheapy couldn’t get laid and Wombat was always a Wombat, it just took college to figure it out!

What’s missing is shipwreck stories! We need more of those!

More questions!
Why does Wombat always say breads done?
How did you both meet?
Why doesn’t Shipwreck do his postcast anymore?
Which one of you have wanted to quick the show before?
How does it feel to have done this for 15 years?

Special thanks to Mr. Cheapy for thinking of the audience and making improvements to RSS feed and much more for the 15 year anniversary. I’ve been listening since you started, when I was in middle school!

#27 Lord Jezo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   144 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2020 - 12:06 PM

Show feedback swag comment!

For the 15th show, how about in addition to the memories from the episodes what about "What was your life like 15 years ago?" question to both all of you and the listeners to see how much has changed in the decade and a half that we all have been listening?  I bet most people will have some very major differences between 2005 and today.

#28 tresyn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   116 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2020 - 04:03 PM

I am looking forward to the 15th anniversary show. I think a cool segment could be “Shipwreck’s Retro Rearview” in which you look back at hot new titles from previous episodes and see how your opinions have aged.

#29 YellowSnowPal   Crazy! CAGiversary!   929 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

YellowSnowPal

Posted 10 May 2020 - 04:45 PM

Love listening to the old episodes to reminisce. Forgot how Wombat started complaining day one. He did get the poor protest script, but was a great sign of the comedy gold that was to come. Thanks guys for the memories.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#30 skubish   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   923 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:44 PM

Great show.
You might want to resample the podcasts in lower bitrate mono to help people streaming over cellular.