CAGcast #634: How Wombat Really Got His Name

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang reminisce about their formative years, talk surprise birthday dropins, watch this recommendations, Inside Xbox Event, Rainbow Six Grand Larceny, and oh so much more! Listen to learn how to win a Lenovo Prize Pack!

Download (1 hr 25 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

This episode is sponsored by Mack Weldon
For 20% off your first order, visit mackweldon.com and enter promo code CAGCAST.

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Tom Budin - Sugar's Delight
Outro - Astrocade TV commercial (1982)
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog

Facebook
Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Check out the CAGcast on YouTube for clips, complete episodes, and more!

The Mack Weldon Sunday pants are my quarantine uniform.

You guys might like Code 8 on Netflix, starting Robbie Amell from Upload and his brother, Arrow

I can’t remember if you talked about this, but Journey to the Savage Planet was a lot of fun and is now on Game Pass. Come to think of it, Game Pass has been a quarantine mvp

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm wondering if Shipwreck ever saw Mockingbird Lane, that NBC modern update of the Munsters with Jerry O'Connell as Herman and Eddy Izzard as Grandpa.

I didn't take away that the Medium preview has an abortion. It looked to me like she lost her baby, which I inferred was her connection to the afterlife.

I am excited about the chance to listen to those really early episodes. I want to compare what it sounded like back in the day. I teach high school, and I have students as old as this podcast. OMG I'm old.

Congrats on the 15 years! Its been great to hear your opinions and recommendations over the years. I really want to hear what Cheapy thinks of the Oculus Quest, wait to play Superhot VR until you can get your hands on one. 

Keep up the good work guys, cheers to 15 more years!

Hook it up with that prize pack ;)

Another great podcast! I enjoyed hearing the origin story of Wombat's name.

As far the Inside Xbox stuff goes, I feel like had they said it was just another episode of Inside Xbox spotlighting games that will also be coming to Series X the whole thing would have gone over a lot better because for an Inside Xbox show it was pretty good and a lot of the games looked interesting. If you go back and watch those trailers in 4K without the stream compression they actually look pretty good. Especially the quick shots of "The Medium" which is a next gen only exclusive to Series X or as Ship called it, the "abortion" game. I agree with the previous poster though I am pretty sure she lost the baby near full term (her belly was pretty big) based on the trailer and didn't get an abortion. Apparently it has some quick world switching utilizing the SSD which is not possible with current gen hard drive speeds.

Oh man, I laughed a little too loud at "pink ranger, yellow ranger". Thanks for the great podcast, as always!

It was very interesting to hear Wombat's college experiences and it was wild! I didn't join a frat or any club for that matter in college, I just went straight home when the clock hit 5:00PM.  We got the origin story of how Wombat got his name, and we can finally listen to the oldest episodes of the CAGCast in an easy format so we can learn the origin of how CheapyD started using the nickname in common vernacular.

Definitely appreciated hearing Wombat's origin story! 

Ping Pong question for Cheapy, What grip do you use? Penhold or Shakehand? 

Hell Week discussion had me going back. Running theme was whether we had ever seen the bottom of a brother’s feet. No one had. Soon we found out why. They brought us pledges to the back garage and scattered a 5 gallon bucket of broken glass on the floor and told us that we would have to walk over it to progress to the next stage of Hell Week and led us out. They then blindfolded me and brought me back to the starting point. They started the 3-2-1 countdown and gave me a push right before 1, thus starting a freak out run over about 5 yards of Doritos. [emoji2957]Started a week of hellacious mind games. Good times.

Reliving that traumatic event for a Lenovo prize package. [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After hearing what Cheapy and crew played in college (NHLPA Hockey 1993), as well as Wombat (GoldenEye), I need to hear what Shipwreck played, aside from real human basketball. Tony Hawk, Madden, Blitz, and NBA Live?

I thought Wombats call out for the question from the PC gamer was straight comedy...Wombat giving no fucks and calling it like he see's it  :razz:

Thanks for getting us access to full CAGcast catalogue! I have many hours to fill working from home and this is perfect 👌

I’m with you guys on the Xbox press conference. I was glad my kids were downstairs watching tv when I was watching it upstairs. Yakuza and Ass Creed were the only two things I’ll actually play. It kind of felt like they needed to get these out of the way. Still fun to see what’s coming and more exciting then the usual Xbox monthly show.

I’m with Wombat on that PC vs Xbox Series X question. If you have a $2,000 pc attached to a 4K tv, then why are you bothering looking at consoles. I work a lot of hours every week and have 3 kids, I don’t want to build a PC and have to mess with settings and sit at a desk for longer. I want to plug in my Series X and play my Assassins Creed Valhalla when it comes out.

After hearing what Cheapy and crew played in college (NHLPA Hockey 1993), as well as Wombat (GoldenEye), I need to hear what Shipwreck played, aside from real human basketball. Tony Hawk, Madden, Blitz, and NBA Live?
Swap in GameDay for Madden and 2K for NBA Live.

GI Joe can have robot suits

3RmJ.gif

I loved the part at 3:55 where Cheapy asked a question, Wombat answered it, and then Cheapy said “you don’t have to explain it to me”.

Loved hearing about the crew's fraternity days, always good getting some background on the geniuses behind the CAGcast.

Colteastwood on YouTube has the inside xbox series x trailers in succession in 4k60. But I don't think Next-gen improvements will be visible for about 1-2 years, honestly like most console generations.

Another great CAG Cast is in the ether of the RSS feed!
All around great episode with discussions of years past and seeing the formative years of Cheapy.

I’m glad to see that all of you have stayed the same and true to yourself over the years, really great to know Cheapy couldn’t get laid and Wombat was always a Wombat, it just took college to figure it out!

What’s missing is shipwreck stories! We need more of those!

More questions!
Why does Wombat always say breads done?
How did you both meet?
Why doesn’t Shipwreck do his postcast anymore?
Which one of you have wanted to quick the show before?
How does it feel to have done this for 15 years?

Special thanks to Mr. Cheapy for thinking of the audience and making improvements to RSS feed and much more for the 15 year anniversary. I’ve been listening since you started, when I was in middle school!

Another great CAG Cast is in the ether of the RSS feed!
All around great episode with discussions of years past and seeing the formative years of Cheapy.

I’m glad to see that all of you have stayed the same and true to yourself over the years, really great to know Cheapy couldn’t get laid and Wombat was always a Wombat, it just took college to figure it out!

What’s missing is shipwreck stories! We need more of those!

More questions!
Why does Wombat always say breads done?
How did you both meet?
Why doesn’t Shipwreck do his postcast anymore?
Which one of you have wanted to quick the show before?
How does it feel to have done this for 15 years?

Special thanks to Mr. Cheapy for thinking of the audience and making improvements to RSS feed and much more for the 15 year anniversary. I’ve been listening since you started, when I was in middle school!

Show feedback swag comment!

For the 15th show, how about in addition to the memories from the episodes what about "What was your life like 15 years ago?" question to both all of you and the listeners to see how much has changed in the decade and a half that we all have been listening?  I bet most people will have some very major differences between 2005 and today.

I am looking forward to the 15th anniversary show. I think a cool segment could be “Shipwreck’s Retro Rearview” in which you look back at hot new titles from previous episodes and see how your opinions have aged.

Love listening to the old episodes to reminisce. Forgot how Wombat started complaining day one. He did get the poor protest script, but was a great sign of the comedy gold that was to come. Thanks guys for the memories.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hey guys!

Had to make a new account because I lost my old login info, but I've been listening to the show for over 10 years.  I even used to wear my CAG "live strong" bracelet to high school everyday.  It was funny to hear you guys talk about your college days with "VHS and chill." Anyway thanks for the years of laughs and here's to 15 more! :)  

Hasn't Wombat shared the origin story of his nickname before on the show? Or do he and I just share a psychic connection?

Great show, as usual, though Cheapy was in a weird mood, lots of rape talk and coming down hard on Ship for being totally reasonable and responsible during the pandemic.

Congrats on making 15 years!

Maybe bring on members from the start? I joined year 2 I think, in 2016.

BTW for trivia night.
What episode of CAGcast did Shipwreck make his first (brief) appearance?

Answer: Episode 10.

thanks for the show guys. how about a dedicated segment where you mention free/ heavily discounted games and a hot take if you have one.  keep up the good work, looking forward to another 15 years !!

I was really excited to hear about a new Big Titty Anime Ladies game! Then I thought it unwise to research it. I’m too old to have that in my search history.

Great show guys!

i don't know to what extent he was joking, but Cheapy sounds like a f'ing imbecile encouraging people to take fewer precautions in stores.

Please keep in mind that ours is a nation where people drink bleach because an orange moron said so.

Great show as always. I love Snake-Eyes as much as the next GI Joe fanboy, but even I doubt he would survive against all four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Regarding the castle feature, I was thinking of the word "parapet."  I would not mind winning a free mouse, as the Lenovo MSU1111 mouse that was bundled with my older computer several years ago went berserk not too long ago. I replaced it with the mouse (which I still had in the packaging: Lenovo SM50L21560) that came with my newer computer. Unfortunately, every time I move it, it emits a high pitch sound, which can be very annoying.

P.S. The outro song is not the Astrocade commercial, but a remix of that "I Wonder What's Inside Your Butthole" song that caught attention online.

Hi guys!

As always, I love the show and it's definitely one of the highlights of my week, especially in these times.

I've heard you all praise your Mack Weldon Ace Sweatpants time and time again on the CAGcast, so I decided to take a look at them for myself. With us being in quarantine for the foreseeable future, I thought splurging on a nice pair of sweatpants would be something worth investigating.

I guess the question I have for you guys is, have you actually bought a pair of those pants (or their underwear, I suppose) yourselves? Even with the CAGcast coupon code, one pair of sweatpants is still $60+ and I don't think I've ever spent that much on any pair of pants for myself, let alone sweatpants. That's a lot of scratch to drop on a single pair of lounging pants...

It's hard to ignore how much you guys love them though, so I'm seriously considering it.

Do they really provide $60 worth of comfort!?

Thanks guys!

Keep up the great work on the show!

Wombat, you mentioned a few episodes ago you started to play the division 2. Have you played any more of this game at all and what are your thoughts.

I don't know if it's specifically what Cheapy is looking for, but I've listened to every single episode up until about 6 months ago twice. And then all the new ones since then once. I'm a UPS driver and sometimes I run out of content pretty quick and I don't listen to too many other podcasts or radio shows. I did this the first time so I could learn the show, see its evolution, find when Shipwreck joined permanently, and for the stories. The second time, I did it to distract me from the ongoing divorce I was going though. It really gave historical context and value, learning about the games, the consoles, your opinions and what you thought of other people's opinions. I've bought older games because of this and taken advantage of deals from Thorbahn on newer deals. The anticipation of seeing when Wombat would FINALLY get to go to E3 to now how it's not as interesting to him. I was happy for him we he got his PS3 birthday present. Oh and Cheapy and Ship really, really hurt his feelings a couple times, especially after E3 one time when they teased him about his dining etiquette and when Cheapy forgot Sabrina's middle name after she was born. And whatever happened to the guy who stripped in Cheapy's apartment in Japan and then ran the streets and got arrested? The pizza truck guy. Cheapy said he had an update on that but had to wait till after his move back to New York. Anyway, it took a few months even though the first hundred episodes or so can be deceivingly short and give you confidence that you can finish it faster. Here's the link I used:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/cagcastfull

I've tried listening to other gaming podcasts, but I'm such a casual player, that a lot of what those other shows say can go over my head or just plain bore me with tech data or specs and jargon that I just don't care about. I hope they keep up the good work, and I'll continue to listen and encourage others, as well.

I loved hearing your Frat stories. I ended up pledging two different fraternities before just forgetting the whole  thing. 

The first time I pledged the guy who was supposed to be my pledge father/guide/whatever started selling cocaine and dropped out of school, so I never completed the requirements. 

Next semester I changed schools and eventually started helping with a startup like frat, and everyone there really thought I knew what I was doing. I knew I didn't so I guessed if they thought I didn't maybe I could do alright. Then I failed out because of a concussion. Apparently I was misled by movies and you can't get into a frat if you legit fail out of school. 

The guys I knew from fraternities were a perfect reflection of the rest of campus. Some great guys, some jerks, and the rest relatively unremarkable. With the exception of frat guys generally being better connected to what was going on in school and having networking advantages. 

Anyway - enter me into the contest if it isn't too late! 

bread's done
Back