* * * * - 4 votes

Nintendo 2DS XL System w/ Mario Kart 7 Pre-installed, Black & Turquoise $99.99 @Walmart

#271 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1158 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:49 PM

For 3DS all I found was Disney's Magical World which I hadn't heard of. I took a look and it seems to involve a lot of reading, so I'm guessing it's either bad or good depending on where your kids might be at for reading :)

The Xbox 360/One game is called DisneyLand adventures and it has the worst loading times of any game I've ever played (it's worse than Battlefront II on Xbone). The game itself is fine and cute but every minor interaction runs the risk of throwing you into a loading screen purgatory.

#272 jrc84  

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:58 PM

Pulled the trigger on the red/white 2DS refurb from Nintendo. $58 after tax and shipping so blah for shipping.

Anyone have a solid game recommendations for preschoolers? I imagine there is a lot of crap out there and I likely won't fair well just rolling the dice on every Disney princess game I find.

#273 kwick7   CAG Lurking Veteran CAGiversary!   587 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:15 PM

Pulled the trigger on the red/white 2DS refurb from Nintendo. $58 after tax and shipping so blah for shipping.

Anyone have a solid game recommendations for preschoolers? I imagine there is a lot of crap out there and I likely won't fair well just rolling the dice on every Disney princess game I find.

- Definitely Animal Crossing: new horizons. You’d have to help out with some reading to get them started, then they get to run around and have fun
- Mario Kart 7
- Super Mario 64 DS (if you can find it cheap)
- LEGO City Undercover
- Disney Art Academy (maybe)

#274 jrc84  

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:32 PM

For 3DS all I found was Disney's Magical World which I hadn't heard of. I took a look and it seems to involve a lot of reading, so I'm guessing it's either bad or good depending on where your kids might be at for reading :)

The Xbox 360/One game is called DisneyLand adventures and it has the worst loading times of any game I've ever played (it's worse than Battlefront II on Xbone). The game itself is fine and cute but every minor interaction runs the risk of throwing you into a loading screen purgatory.

Disneyland Adventures on XB1 is painful for loading. The game is pretty lackluster but she loves it, so it wouldn't be too bad if loading was not horrendous. Not that I know what I'm talking about but the load times don't even make sense, it doesn't seem to be some graphical masterpiece and there is like zero AI in the park. I assume it pushed out with the big "D" branding for young kids so nobody cared how it played.

#275 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1158 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:54 PM

Disneyland Adventures on XB1 is painful for loading. The game is pretty lackluster but she loves it, so it wouldn't be too bad if loading was not horrendous. Not that I know what I'm talking about but the load times don't even make sense, it doesn't seem to be some graphical masterpiece and there is like zero AI in the park. I assume it pushed out with the big "D" branding for young kids so nobody cared how it played.

The best thing about the game is the ability to "walk around" a nice recreation of Disneyland. What they did with the rides to turn them into games was interesting, but most of them are no fun to play.

I even tried it on my external SSD and it didn't help that much. There's something really wrong with this game. My guess is that they didn't have streaming loading in the engine, so every time you enter the park it's loading all of the models at full resolution and maybe low-res textures for the entire park. Then when you enter a ride or other interaction it's dumping all of those assets and reloading everything for that ride. It's so painful. Load times on the Disney Infinity games were pretty crazy, too.

I'm sorry that all of Disney Interactive got the axe, especially since an optimized version of this game and Pixar rush would be AMAZING in VR, BUT if the Disney Interactive team did make VR porrs, I'm sure I'd be tossing my cookies within a minute due to constant re-projection.

#276 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2950 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:08 PM

The best thing about the game is the ability to "walk around" a nice recreation of Disneyland. What they did with the rides to turn them into games was interesting, but most of them are no fun to play.

I even tried it on my external SSD and it didn't help that much. There's something really wrong with this game. My guess is that they didn't have streaming loading in the engine, so every time you enter the park it's loading all of the models at full resolution and maybe low-res textures for the entire park. Then when you enter a ride or other interaction it's dumping all of those assets and reloading everything for that ride. It's so painful. Load times on the Disney Infinity games were pretty crazy, too.

I'm sorry that all of Disney Interactive got the axe, especially since an optimized version of this game and Pixar rush would be AMAZING in VR, BUT if the Disney Interactive team did make VR porrs, I'm sure I'd be tossing my cookies within a minute due to constant re-projection.

Ah, the Kinect. That thing is going to be cherished down the road. Just you see. Too bad it never had a chance on Xbox One. At least some very interesting software made it to the 360.

#277 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1158 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:14 PM

Hey, I still use my Kinect One almost every day ... On Zoom meetings thanks to the USB adapter. :(

#278 wampler13   That's just ,like, your opinion, man! CAGiversary!   761 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:54 AM

Back in stock!

#279 CritcalJ   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   145 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

CritcalJ

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:01 PM

Back in stock.

Just got ps1 Diablo working after some fiddling.

#280 Meepo  

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:46 AM

I talked to one of the electronics workers at wal-mart and they said they've been getting consistent nearly weekly shipments of New 2DS XL and Switch hardware for the past two months. Was sparse before that apparently.

#281 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7622 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:12 PM

Well, round two of JC repair/replacement is coming to a close, so back to report on the turnaround for this order, as the first one took 18 days from start to finish. Well, this time, 16 days seems to be the turnaround, as I contacted "N" on the morning of the 21st(July), and the set is due to arrive back tomorrow. 

So after the the first contact, they responded in about 24 hours with the shipping label and return instructions, which was 1-2 days faster than the first time around. Now this time, once it arrived to the repair location, it took them over 9 days to actually "take it in" to their system, which was much faster the last time. But then the actual repair or replacement time was shorter, as within a day or so, they were on the way back.

Same as before I lost 1 day in shipping it back, as they sent the label early one morning, and I didn't ship it back until the next day, so it may have made 15 days if I had. Haven't receive these back yet, so can't report on quality, but the first time they were packaged well and both seemed to be "new" and not refurbished or fixed condition. Overall, no real issues, outside of the fact this needed to be done at all, so thumbs up on customer service, and HUGE thumbs down for "N" not addressing the core issues of this problem years after the fact!

#282 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3308 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:46 PM

Well, round two of JC repair/replacement...

You probably meant to hit the eshop thread and saw "Nintendo" and posted this here instead.  Still a good update.

#283 adam81  

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:59 PM

I bought a few of these but I'd still like a 3D one. Were the 3DS XL's ever officially discontinued?

Since I never owned a DS I'm trying to buy a library of games from the last 16 years haha. I used to work retail around 2005-07 and I'm kicking myself that I never bought the Castlevania DS games and myriad other DS games that were cheap.  Atleast new 3DS games are easy to get with reasonable prices.

#284 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7622 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:38 PM

You probably meant to hit the eshop thread and saw "Nintendo" and posted this here instead.  Still a good update.

I sure did, thanks for the catch, as that's what I get for posting early in the AM half asleep. LOL

#285 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10212 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2020 - 11:33 PM

I bought a few of these but I'd still like a 3D one. Were the 3DS XL's ever officially discontinued?

Since I never owned a DS I'm trying to buy a library of games from the last 16 years haha. I used to work retail around 2005-07 and I'm kicking myself that I never bought the Castlevania DS games and myriad other DS games that were cheap. Atleast new 3DS games are easy to get with reasonable prices.

There are a few games that go for astronomical prices on the secondary market, really surprised how much some sell for.

#286 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15731 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 11 September 2020 - 11:20 PM

Been checking site for a while - guess these are officially dried up.

#287 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2950 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:22 AM

Yup, at least from Walmart being the seller.

#288 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7948 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2020 - 06:38 AM

As much as I hate to say it (and hate shopping in a Walmart store), you might have better luck in store.

#289 BeyondKnight   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   486 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

BeyondKnight

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

I got 2 of them when Walmart had them in stock