* * * * - 4 votes

Nintendo 2DS XL System w/ Mario Kart 7 Pre-installed, Black & Turquoise $99.99 @Walmart

#31 DaShaka   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2077 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:49 PM

I'm too paranoid to order used DS/3DS games with the amount of fakes circulating out there.

Is it obvious? Or are the fakes basically the same thing, just counterfeit? Ordered a bunch recently and have no idea what to look for...

#32 Shiftygism   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   577 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:07 PM

Is it obvious? Or are the fakes basically the same thing, just counterfeit? Ordered a bunch recently and have no idea what to look for...

Counterfeit. A good way to tell, unless they've stepped up their game is to see if the serial number on the back of the cart matches the one on the label. DS counterfeiting is so widespread I've just acquired ways to play remaining titles on my want list. No reason to give Gamestop and folks on ebay money for something like that.

#33 Zantra  

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:58 PM

Mine showed up today after ordering it only three days ago. That is some super fast shipping compared to what I am used to with Target taking a week or more, sometimes. I'm just happy to have a way to play my 3DS and DS games again. My 3DS broke right before my birthday this year.

#34 ChuckyDJ   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   270 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:40 PM

oos

#35 wampler13   That's just ,like, your opinion, man! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2020 - 11:00 PM

oos

They've been in and out of stock for a few weeks. Keep checking. Follow Wario64 on the twitter. He posts when they come back in stock.

#36 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1040 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:04 AM

Counterfeit. A good way to tell, unless they've stepped up their game is to see if the serial number on the back of the cart matches the one on the label. DS counterfeiting is so widespread I've just acquired ways to play remaining titles on my want list. No reason to give Gamestop and folks on ebay money for something like that.

I can't find any reports of counterfeit 3DS games, though I did find one claim to have bought non-working 3DS games that were fake.

I don't think GameStop is the one to blame in the case of working knock offs, it's on whomever scammed them.

When they sell non-working games surely that is 100% their fault though. It's absurd that they don't test the games they buy.

#37 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3426 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:56 AM

Was just able to get one, keep checking. It said 1 left in stock on the page.

Anyone that's gotten one able to tell me what firmware comes installed on these?

#38 Zantra  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:00 AM

Does anybody know if transferring over my old 3DS system to this new one is going to erase the free digital copy of Mario Kart 7 on the 2DS XL? I'm a little worried about that happening. And, after watching a video on youtube, it also seems like the process of transferring your old console, depending on how many games that you have, can take hours.

#39 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3426 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:03 AM

Does anybody know if transferring over my old 3DS system to this new one is going to erase the free digital copy of Mario Kart 7 on the 2DS XL? I'm a little worried about that happening. And, after watching a video on youtube, it also seems like the process of transferring your old console, depending on how many games that you have, can take hours.

The license for Mario Kart 7, or any preinstalled game, is linked to the console serial number until you link an NNID, which transfers the game to that NNID. If you transfer to that system, then you can download the game from the eShop for free after the transfer, and it will be linked to the NNID that you transferred to the system. They have it set up this way just for this situation, since they sell so many bundled systems.

Transfers do take awhile.

#40 Zantra  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 03:29 AM

The license for Mario Kart 7, or any preinstalled game, is linked to the console serial number until you link an NNID, which transfers the game to that NNID. If you transfer to that system, then you can download the game from the eShop for free after the transfer, and it will be linked to the NNID that you transferred to the system. They have it set up this way just for this situation, since they sell so many bundled systems.

Thanks for the info.

#41 Zantra  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:09 AM

Mario Kart 7 takes up the whole memory card practically, and Animal Crossing New Leaf won't even fit on it. So, I recommend picking up a cheap 32gb micro sd card for it. (Apparently that's the largest size that the 2DS XL officially supports, though I have heard of other people finding a way to get it to support bigger cards.)

#42 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7842 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:00 PM

Mario Kart 7 takes up the whole memory card practically, and Animal Crossing New Leaf won't even fit on it. So, I recommend picking up a cheap 32gb micro sd card for it. (Apparently that's the largest size that the 2DS XL officially supports, though I have heard of other people finding a way to get it to support bigger cards.)

Yup.  And if people aren't planning to jailbreak these systems, the system transfer takes a long-ass time to complete.  Fortunately, I happened to have a 32 gb Sandisk micro SD card here already, but it's going to take the rest of the day to move my games over from my original 3DS.  I had no interest in jailbreaking since I have five Chinese consoles and a bunch of Android devices for emulators already.

#43 Zantra  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:23 PM

Yup.  And if people aren't planning to jailbreak these systems, the system transfer takes a long-ass time to complete.  Fortunately, I happened to have a 32 gb Sandisk micro SD card here already, but it's going to take the rest of the day to move my games over from my original 3DS.  I had no interest in jailbreaking since I have five Chinese consoles and a bunch of Android devices for emulators already.

It wouldn't let me transfer my games, because the card is so small, and even picking the second option, which was supposed to be the "fast" option. It took two 1/2 hours for the transfer to finish. But, the results were amazing. It had my background, and everything that my original console had. Including the history of my steps, and games that I had played. I am going to have to get used to not being able to adjust the screen brightness, or turn off the Wifi without going into the settings. Also, having to open that weird flap to put games in. It felt like it was going to snap off when I opened it the first time. It probably will snap off eventually. I'll probably use my original 3DS stylus on the 2DS, just because I'm more used to it, than the weird crayon looking one that leaves a big gaping hole in the 2DS when you use it.

#44 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7842 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 04:05 PM

Yup!  It worked.  Thanks for the advice!

#45 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7842 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 04:45 PM

FYI, if you also own a Wii U, you might already own some cross-buy games that are only compatible with the new 2DS or new 3DS systems.

I can finally download and play Pirate Pop, and I had forgotten that I owned it.

#46 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5440 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 07 June 2020 - 05:59 PM

Just got the last one online for pick up at my local WM.  Total impulse purchase.  I have spent way too much on games over the past three months.  DARN YOU STIMULUS CHECK AND QUARANTINE BOREDOM!!!  :D/

#47 toodarkpark   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   23 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

toodarkpark

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:54 PM

Grabbed this 6/4, now showing a 6/11 delivery date after it shipped.

I really only want this for some of the MegaTen and Etrian Odyssey games I missed by never having a DS.

Anyone have any other JRPG suggestions that may never make its way to another console?

#48 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7842 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:06 PM

Anyone have any other JRPG suggestions that may never make its way to another console?

Traditional Turn-Based JRPG Dungeon Crawlers Action RPG Strategy RPG Other RPGs

#49 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1040 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:10 PM

Damn Jose... That's a reply! Since you're being so generous with your knowledge, are there any good top down rogue-lites of the 3DS out there?

For perspective I love Shattered Pixel Dungeon (on Android) and Streets of Rogue.

Thanks

#50 DaShaka   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2077 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:33 PM

Wow, thanks Jose!

#51 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7842 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:43 PM

Damn Jose... That's a reply! Since you're being so generous with your knowledge, are there any good top down rogue-lites of the 3DS out there?

For perspective I love Shattered Pixel Dungeon (on Android) and Streets of Rogue.

Thanks

Wow, thanks Jose!

I'm the man when it comes to copying and pasting!  LOL!  :mrgreen:

And my personal favorite top down rogue-lites are Alchemic Dungeons, Bit Dungeons Plus, and Quest of Dungeons.  Highly recommended.

#52 toodarkpark   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   23 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

toodarkpark

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, holy crap thanks. That should keep mu busy for the next decade. Ive been able to grab SMT IV: Apocalypse and SMT: Strange Journey Redux as, somehow, the two last physical games at my Target.

#53 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7842 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, holy crap thanks. That should keep mu busy for the next decade. Ive been able to grab SMT IV: Apocalypse and SMT: Strange Journey Redux as, somehow, the two last physical games at my Target.

The 3DS has one of the better RPG libraries.  But some of those games are starting to get a bit pricey.  The Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon games are hard to find new or used for good prices.  And I've never seen any of the downloads go on sale on the eShop.

#54 RiPPn  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:49 PM

Got 2 of these to replace my kids standard 2DSs.  They are old enough now I trust them with the hinge.  Going to put them in the closet and give them as a stocking stuffer.

#55 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7842 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:42 PM

Got 2 of these to replace my kids standard 2DSs.  They are old enough now I trust them with the hinge.  Going to put them in the closet and give them as a stocking stuffer.

If that's what you give your kids as a stocking stuffer, can you adopt me?

#56 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   999 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

ordered one for in store pickup last night got an email today telling me its on back order. went to the store anyways to pick up some stuff walked by the video game section and they had one in the glass case. how ever the box was a bit beaten up and one side looked as if someone had opened it up so I will just wait till they get more in store 

#57 Emperor Lars XVIII  

Emperor Lars XVIII

Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:48 PM

Mine showed up today after ordering it only three days ago. That is some super fast shipping compared to what I am used to with Target taking a week or more, sometimes.

Ordered Friday, received today (Monday)! Been awhile since I’ve used my 3DS XL, but the 2DSXL box seems smaller. Too bad I will never know what this one is like since it will sit on my shelf unopened and dusty. 🤣

#58 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3426 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:50 PM

Ordered Friday, received today (Monday)! Been awhile since I’ve used my 3DS XL, but the 2DSXL box seems smaller. Too bad I will never know what this one is like since it will sit on my shelf unopened and dusty. 🤣

I of course accepted the fifty cent discount for longer shipping during checkout. Too much of a cheap ass I guess. Didn't need it right away so wasn't to concerned about when it got here.

#59 Zantra  

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:54 PM

I of course accepted the fifty cent discount for longer shipping during checkout. Too much of a cheap ass I guess. Didn't need it right away so wasn't to concerned about when it got here.

They didn't give me that option, from what I could tell. It just cost money for the faster shipping options and I choose the option that said "free".

#60 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7842 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:58 PM

ordered one for in store pickup last night got an email today telling me its on back order. went to the store anyways to pick up some stuff walked by the video game section and they had one in the glass case. how ever the box was a bit beaten up and one side looked as if someone had opened it up so I will just wait till they get more in store 

The 2DS XL boxes aren't taped shut by Nintendo.  So if you see a box without a seal on it, they're supposed to look like that.  But the Switch boxes aren't taped shut either.