* * * * - 4 votes

Nintendo 2DS XL System w/ Mario Kart 7 Pre-installed, Black & Turquoise $99.99 @Walmart

#181 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:33 PM

Actually, VITA were expensive when Sony first announced they they were discontinued. But, now that the people that bought them all up realized that people won't buy them for $400 or $500, some models of the console on Amazon have dropped down to a little over $100.

Really? For a hundred bucks that's definitely a better system than this

#182 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5447 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:00 PM

No offense but comparing a used $100 vita to a brand new 2DS XL is a bit of a stretch. Lowest price for a vita is $150 at the moment, sure they can drop down to sub $100 but what condition will they be in? The Vita library is ok, but it pales in comparison to the 3DS. Most of the best Vita games have been ported to other systems, whereas most 3DS titles have not because of the touch screen / dual screen set up.

Sure the 2DS isn’t the most luxurious way to experience the 3DS library, but for $100 you’re getting a system that can literally be hacked to include just about anything and everything you could want on the console. Vitas are also hackable, but you’re limited by a proprietary memory card system vs a standard (cheap) micro SD option for the 3DS.

Bottom line, this is a steal for what is possible, whereas the vita has some significant shortcomings. I would only recommend a vita if there’s an exclusive you’re dying to play. The screen is better, but compared to a Switch, the Vita is simply a nice ‘historic‘ system rather than a must-have imo.

#183 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

No offense but comparing a used $100 vita to a brand new 2DS XL is a bit of a stretch. Lowest price for a vita is $150 at the moment, sure they can drop down to sub $100 but what condition will they be in? The Vita library is ok, but it pales in comparison to the 3DS. Most of the best Vita games have been ported to other systems, whereas most 3DS titles have not because of the touch screen / dual screen set up.

Sure the 2DS isn’t the most luxurious way to experience the 3DS library, but for $100 you’re getting a system that can literally be hacked to include just about anything and everything you could want on the console. Vitas are also hackable, but you’re limited by a proprietary memory card system vs a standard (cheap) micro SD option for the 3DS.

Bottom line, this is a steal for what is possible, whereas the vita has some significant shortcomings. I would only recommend a vita if there’s an exclusive you’re dying to play. The screen is better, but compared to a Switch, the Vita is simply a nice ‘historic‘ system rather than a must-have imo.

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess you're right the Vita can't emulate 3DS games. However can't it emulate a ton of other stuff still like the PSP Library?

#184 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   2022 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:31 PM

In fairness, micro SD adapters do exist for hacked Vitas now.

#185 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1156 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:50 PM

No need to argue. Just buy both :-P

#186 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5447 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess you're right the Vita can't emulate 3DS games. However can't it emulate a ton of other stuff still like the PSP Library?

It can, which adds value. The Vita is a solid system, but the back touch panel can easily get scratched to hell, which is why I would be weary of a $100 price point for it. But yes, with a Vita you get solid emulation for PSP, PS1 and most third and fourth gen systems. With 3DS you get GB, GBC, GBA, DS, very limited PS1 and then most third and fourth gen systems (NES/Super NES/Genesis/etc). I think there's also some arcade emulation and one-off systems like NeoGeo Pocket or something, plus RetroArch support.

This is actually a decent break down with some pros and cons - https://versus.com/e...vs-sony-vita-3g

If you had asked me 5 years ago, I would have been the Vita all the way. It's a beautiful, high quality piece of tech that was heavily underutilized and abandoned by Sony. But if you're comparing a potentially grungy Vita to a brand new 2DS XL in 2020, I think you'll get more value at a lower price point picking up the 2DS. Here's the thing - $99 for the system, $20 or less for a 32 GB micro SD card and a trip to certain boards on Reddit and you've pretty much unlocked the entire 3DS library. The Vita is a bit more complicated ... and the hack is a bit more involved. Plus, if you're buying a used Vita, there used to be models that couldn't be hacked bc of system updates. I think they may have finally cracked it, but 3DS/2DS is fully cracked and buying this $99 model will guarantee you can hack it for emulators, etc. Just my two cents, I'll be quiet now ;-).

#187 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3844 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:15 PM

It can, which adds value. The Vita is a solid system, but the back touch panel can easily get scratched to hell, which is why I would be weary of a $100 price point for it. But yes, with a Vita you get solid emulation for PSP, PS1 and most third and fourth gen systems. With 3DS you get GB, GBC, GBA, DS, very limited PS1 and then most third and fourth gen systems (NES/Super NES/Genesis/etc). I think there's also some arcade emulation and one-off systems like NeoGeo Pocket or something, plus RetroArch support.

This is actually a decent break down with some pros and cons - https://versus.com/e...vs-sony-vita-3g

If you had asked me 5 years ago, I would have been the Vita all the way. It's a beautiful, high quality piece of tech that was heavily underutilized and abandoned by Sony. But if you're comparing a potentially grungy Vita to a brand new 2DS XL in 2020, I think you'll get more value at a lower price point picking up the 2DS. Here's the thing - $99 for the system, $20 or less for a 32 GB micro SD card and a trip to certain boards on Reddit and you've pretty much unlocked the entire 3DS library. The Vita is a bit more complicated ... and the hack is a bit more involved. Plus, if you're buying a used Vita, there used to be models that couldn't be hacked bc of system updates. I think they may have finally cracked it, but 3DS/2DS is fully cracked and buying this $99 model will guarantee you can hack it for emulators, etc. Just my two cents, I'll be quiet now ;-).

Agreed. A new vita for $150 would be a better buy imo than a used vita for $100 or a new 2DS XL at $100.

I have hacked the OG Xbox, Wii, Wii U, and now a PS Vita 1000 series... and the Vita was definitely the biggest PITA out of all those to hack. This is all the stuff I sunk into it, to get the full experience, and probably a whole day to get the hacks to work. 

PS Vita: $99.99 (Gamestop)

SD2Vita: $5.95 (Amazon)

PS Vita 16gb Memory Card: $16.95 (Amazon)

L2/R2 Grips: $22.37 (Ebay)

Sandisk 128gb MicroSD Card: $14.99 (Gamestop)

Total: $160.25  

The vita I have is grundgy, and I feel kind of annoyed sinking so much time into it because of the condition (I'm anal about condition, and was expecting more from the vita I got from Gamestop... but I bought it in March and due to COVID I dind't really have the option of returning it in store and trying to get another vita in better condition).

So add $50 on top of the price I paid, since that seems to be what vita's are going for ($150, vs the $100 I paid), and you have over $200 invested in a used system. Not exactly spectacular.

#188 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1156 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:22 PM

Can anyone recommend a grip that has room for a "full size" stylus? The shorty stylus is cramping my hands and my style.

#189 adam81  

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:33 PM

Decided to buy one of these and it came last week, but the problem is I just can't get a comfortable position for my hands. These things were obviously designed for children. 

#190 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:46 AM

Agreed. A new vita for $150 would be a better buy imo than a used vita for $100 or a new 2DS XL at $100.

I have hacked the OG Xbox, Wii, Wii U, and now a PS Vita 1000 series... and the Vita was definitely the biggest PITA out of all those to hack. This is all the stuff I sunk into it, to get the full experience, and probably a whole day to get the hacks to work. 

Thanks for the input guys.  I know the vita has such  a cult following so that's why I was curious about it.  I did hear that the hack is pretty difficult.

I have been  persuaded and will pick up this bad boy.  

#191 oakley568   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:10 AM

The vita hack is difficult yes, but there are some good guides out there and good youtube videos.

Best thing I can recommend is to watch a few of the videos before you attempt to hack the system.  You'll also need at least a 4gb proprietary sony memory card to initiate the hack if you have the 1000 series (which has the beautiful OLED screen).  If you have the 2000 series, it comes with 1gb of data onboard and you can hack it from there.

As someone mentioned previously, you needed a lower firmware system for the longest time in order to hack it, but that was cracked a little less than a year ago.  The hacker retired (i think) after that, but his work enables everyone to effectively roll back their firmware to any update they wanted to...which was a MASSIVE win back then.

I ordered two of these 2ds XLs and will hack both of them.  I hacked my New 3DS Mario edition and will give it to one of my kids (eventually) and these will be waiting for them as well.  Same with the (3) V1 switches I have (thank God for GameStop B2G1 hardware sales, but also RIP...) and I've been tinkering around with WiiU hacking and playing all the old gamecube games I used to play.  Been showing the kids Mario Golf Toadstool Tour and Paper Mario TTYD.  Great times!

#192 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9121 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:18 AM

I didn't think the Vita hack was that hard but I didn't have to do the rollback (I specifically hunted for 3.60 Vitas).

#193 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7937 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:01 AM

As great as this system is, it's sad that this is what this week's 3DS eShop sales look like.

https://en.psprices....sc&platform=3DS

#194 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:07 AM

The vita hack is difficult yes, but there are some good guides out there and good youtube videos.

Best thing I can recommend is to watch a few of the videos before you attempt to hack the system.  You'll also need at least a 4gb proprietary sony memory card to initiate the hack if you have the 1000 series (which has the beautiful OLED screen).  If you have the 2000 series, it comes with 1gb of data onboard and you can hack it from there.

As someone mentioned previously, you needed a lower firmware system for the longest time in order to hack it, but that was cracked a little less than a year ago.  The hacker retired (i think) after that, but his work enables everyone to effectively roll back their firmware to any update they wanted to...which was a MASSIVE win back then.

I ordered two of these 2ds XLs and will hack both of them.  I hacked my New 3DS Mario edition and will give it to one of my kids (eventually) and these will be waiting for them as well.  Same with the (3) V1 switches I have (thank God for GameStop B2G1 hardware sales, but also RIP...) and I've been tinkering around with WiiU hacking and playing all the old gamecube games I used to play.  Been showing the kids Mario Golf Toadstool Tour and Paper Mario TTYD.  Great times!

Nice.  Thanks for the input.

I have a Wii U as well I picked up for 70 bucks precovid.  Finishing up a few games.  Is it worth hacking?  

#195 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1636 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:51 AM

I find it odd people are still rushing to pay a hundred bucks for these. If they ever clearance them down at like 20 bucks I'd buy some variants for the collection but it seems high to me at this point in time to pay 100 even new.

#196 EndOfGreen  

EndOfGreen

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:12 AM

I find it odd people are still rushing to pay a hundred bucks for these. If they ever clearance them down at like 20 bucks I'd buy some variants for the collection but it seems high to me at this point in time to pay 100 even new.

Cool story. $100 is nothing for the amount of games it can play and the fact that its brand new.

#197 DQT   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1151 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:26 AM

I bit. But even if I missed out on snagging one, there's still tons of options.  From what I've heard, refurbished consoles from the Nintendo store are practically new anyway.

And if I'm going to hack it anyway, wouldn't it be fine to just buy a cheap New 3DS from Japan that I see all over ebay?

#198 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2946 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:59 AM

$100 for the new 2DS XL is a solid price. It will be impossible to find these new for anywhere near that price in 6-8 months.

#199 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2946 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:00 AM

Nice.  Thanks for the input.

I have a Wii U as well I picked up for 70 bucks precovid.  Finishing up a few games.  Is it worth hacking?  

I'd love to hack a Wii U but alas, it looks like it's still quite a convoluted process.  Not worth it, IMHO.

#200 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7937 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

I've never seen any brand new Nintendo system sold in a store for $20.  And I remember when the NES debuted in the U.S.

#201 oakley568   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:23 PM

I'd love to hack a Wii U but alas, it looks like it's still quite a convoluted process.  Not worth it, IMHO.

It wasn't hard at all, all I did was use Jack Sorrel's youtube videos and his website to get the homebrew app up and running on the Wii U.  Then I installed vWii, which allowed me to install the homebrew launcher for the Wii portion of the Wii U.  After that, install nintendont, plug a usb thumbdrive filled with gamecube ISOs and you're good to go.

A hacked Wii U effectively lets you play the entire main console nintendo library (not 100%, but darn near close)...I would say it's definitely worth it to hack.

There are other hacks that allow you to inject WiiU and Gamecube games directly to the homescreen of the tablet, allowing you to play Gamecube games with the tablet controls.  I didn't use this method (it's a little more involved) and I don't mind having to play the Gamecube games on my HDTV.  Buy the mayflash gamecube controller adapter, the nintendo official adapter or the wii u pro controller and you're set.

#202 blueArcana   Congratulations CAGiversary!   1115 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

blueArcana

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:35 PM

Do I put a bigger SD Card in the 3DS before or after installing CFW?

#203 CritcalJ   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   145 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

CritcalJ

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:47 PM

Do I put a bigger SD Card in the 3DS before or after installing CFW?

I installed with the 4gb. Changed to 32gb after I was done.

#204 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:51 PM

Does nintendo ever ban ids if they catch you using Cfw?

#205 oakley568   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   166 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:49 PM

They do for the switch if you hack it, not sure about the 3DS/2DS family of systems.  To be on the safe side, I try to avoid going online with my hacked consoles.

Does nintendo ever ban ids if they catch you using Cfw?

#206 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:58 PM

They do for the switch if you hack it, not sure about the 3DS/2DS family of systems.  To be on the safe side, I try to avoid going online with my hacked consoles.

Ijustwantto link my nintendo id  to get mario kart. and then I want to hack  it.  

#207 jrc84  

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:25 AM

Ijustwantto link my nintendo id to get mario kart. and then I want to hack it.

Mario kart was already on mine, didn't even have a nnid when I started playing it. Created one to buy and download Dr. Mario. I think Mario Cart is on the sd card linked to the system ready to go.

#208 CritcalJ   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   145 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

CritcalJ

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:28 AM

Mario was pre-installed on the 2DS I got.

#209 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2020 - 12:35 AM

Mario kart was already on mine, didn't even have a nnid when I started playing it. Created one to buy and download Dr. Mario. I think Mario Cart is on the sd card linked to the system ready to go.

Oh, I mean I want to link it to my nnid permanently before I hack and lose it

#210 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   2022 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:52 AM

Oh, I mean I want to link it to my nnid permanently before I hack and lose it

If you do the hack right, you won't lose it.