* * * * - 4 votes

Nintendo 2DS XL System w/ Mario Kart 7 Pre-installed, Black & Turquoise $99.99 @Walmart

#211 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9121 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:14 AM

Nintendo only ever banned people's specific 3DS from playing online (not from the eShop or account bans) in the early days when people didn't know about the telemetry collected or how to prevent it. The only exceptions were NNID account bans when people pirated Pokemon and Fire Emblem and played them before release.
Nintendo stopped the console ban waves a long time ago though, and given the system is very much at EOL, I wouldn't worry too much.

#212 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:56 AM

Nintendo only ever banned people's specific 3DS from playing online (not from the eShop or account bans) in the early days when people didn't know about the telemetry collected or how to prevent it. The only exceptions were NNID account bans when people pirated Pokemon and Fire Emblem and played them before release.
Nintendo stopped the console ban waves a long time ago though, and given the system is very much at EOL, I wouldn't worry too much.

okay good.  I"ll just up my ID on it then.   Thank you

#213 jrc84  

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:43 PM

Are people having any issues finding these still? I was just at Walmart and saw about 4 of these in the case.

#214 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4303 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:27 PM

Brickseek says half the Walmarts around me have stock of these.

#215 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1156 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:34 PM

Now I'm tempted to buy a 3DS. Is there any smarter move than buying a refurbished directly from Nintendo? I'm not interested in Craigslist/letgo again any time soon.

This thing was clearly a gateway drug, just like my Switch Lite was a gateway to a full on switch. Curse you Nintendo!
  • josekortez likes this

#216 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7937 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:00 PM

Now I'm tempted to buy a 3DS. Is there any smarter move than buying a refurbished directly from Nintendo? I'm not interested in Craigslist/letgo again any time soon.

This thing was clearly a gateway drug, just like my Switch Lite was a gateway to a full on switch. Curse you Nintendo!

Unless you're really interested in 3D, I'd jump on the 2DS XL.  I've owned the original 3DS, the original 2DS, and this one, and I have to say that the 2DS XL is the best of all three.  I never used the 3D on the original 3DS because it hurt my eyes after a while.  And I don't miss it.

• walletandgromice likes this

#217 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5447 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:08 PM

Great deal on Micro SD cards on Amazon right now, not the best brand but Micro Center cards are $9.99 for 64 gb and $16.99 for 128 gb ... note that you will have to jump through some hoops to use larger than 32 gb natively for the 3DS.

https://www.amazon.c...0D1P&psc=1&th=1
  • billyrox likes this

#218 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1156 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:54 PM

Unless you're really interested in 3D, I'd jump on the 2DS XL. I've owned the original 3DS, the original 2DS, and this one, and I have to say that the 2DS XL is the best of all three. I never used the 3D on the original 3DS because it hurt my eyes after a while. And I don't miss it.

Thanks. I have the 2DS XL from this deal, I was just getting curious about what I was missing with 3D. As someone prone to headaches I'm going to guess my experience would be similar to yours, so I will call off the hunt.

Instead I just impulse bought a PSVR.
  • billyrox likes this

#219 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:36 PM

Dang

Great deal on Micro SD cards on Amazon right now, not the best brand but Micro Center cards are $9.99 for 64 gb and $16.99 for 128 gb ... note that you will have to jump through some hoops to use larger than 32 gb natively for the 3DS.

https://www.amazon.c...0D1P&psc=1&th=1

Dang, too bad the 32 gb isn't on sale

#220 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1156 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:42 PM

Dang, too bad the 32 gb isn't on sale

I'm running a 64gb in mine without issue. Just make sure you format it with the guiformat.exe tool with a 32K blocksize.
  • billyrox likes this

#221 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:35 PM

I'm running a 64gb in mine without issue. Just make sure you format it with the guiformat.exe tool with a 32K blocksize.

Okay I"ll buy it then!  So just 32k blocksize and exFat?  Is there any instructions you recommend?  I'm not great with computers

#222 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1156 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:56 AM

Okay I"ll buy it then! So just 32k blocksize and exFat? Is there any instructions you recommend? I'm not great with computers

I just used the guiformat tool and it didn't even offer the chance to change the format, just the blocksize. I did find I had to close every single windows file explorer window before it would format though.

My ultra cheap (free with any purchase coupon) MicroCenter 128Gb card seems to be a little slower than the 64Gb lexar in my DS, but I don't know that if it's a matter of the size or the speed.

Seems like it's a different card than the MicroCenter ones available through Amazon so I'm sure my experience will be different than yours.

#223 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:58 AM

I just used the guiformat tool and it didn't even offer the chance to change the format, just the blocksize. I did find I had to close every single windows file explorer window before it would format though.

My ultra cheap (free with any purchase coupon) MicroCenter 128Gb card seems to be a little slower than the 64Gb lexar in my DS, but I don't know that if it's a matter of the size or the speed.

Seems like it's a different card than the MicroCenter ones available through Amazon so I'm sure my experience will be different than yours.

okay cool. I'll do it.  

#224 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3844 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:58 AM

Is Walmart not offering pickup for online items anymore? This along with a couple other items I'm interested in show that they're available at a local store... but there's no way to choose to pick up in store.

#225 GreatPogo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   33 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

GreatPogo

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:13 AM

Is Walmart not offering pickup for online items anymore? This along with a couple other items I'm interested in show that they're available at a local store... but there's no way to choose to pick up in store.

I was able to add to cart and get to checkout, unless there's a step past that the problem is on your end.

#226 jrc84  

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:18 PM

I can not compare to the other models but it seems like the battery life is not great being a "portable" system. I've been playing Zelda OOT and it seems to only last a few hours (maybe 2-3 playing). I have not tracked my time much or care really since I play sitting in bed and just plug it in when low. My spouse has the purple one and they seem to get about the same play time on a charge. Brightness is lacking too, tried playing in a car once on a sunny day and it was a no go; again, don't care really. For our needs (relaxing before bedtime) it is an awesome system at $99...hers was $149 but she loves purple so worth it at that price too.

I am going to have to retract my statement on battery life, it is significantly better that a couple hours. I have never actually timed it and I suspect there is info out there if needed.

#227 Zantra  

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:22 PM

The best reason to get the New 2DS XL is it plays the Pokemon games at a good framerate. The original 3DS could barely handle them, even with the 3D set to off.
  • josekortez likes this

#228 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7937 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

I am going to have to retract my statement on battery life, it is significantly better that a couple hours. I have never actually timed it and I suspect there is info out there if needed.

Digital Trends did a comparison of the 2DS XL and 3DS XL.  They surmised that the 2DS XL battery typically lasts between 3.5 and 7 hours.  

https://www.digitalt...intendo-3ds-xl/

#229 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3844 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:11 PM

I was able to add to cart and get to checkout, unless there's a step past that the problem is on your end.

You are able to add the $99 Walmart option to your cart? And select store pickup? I can choose from the other 2-3 sellers, but not Walmart.

#230 shiningslade   Master Of Pinball CAGiversary!   847 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

shiningslade

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:23 AM

I've never seen any brand new Nintendo system sold in a store for $20.  And I remember when the NES debuted in the U.S.

I picked up a DS Lite at Target for $49 when they were clearancing them out. That's the cheapest I've ever found for a Nintendo system.

#231 ctrek3   for pony CAGiversary!   567 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:44 PM

I have not seen this come back in stock other than a bunch of resellers. shame i should have bought more than 1 a month ago, id like to have a back up or maybe one for the wife. Anyone purchase the new 3ds XL refurbs direct from Nintendo? that seems like a good way to not get gouged on the price of these

#232 jrc84  

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:03 PM

I have not seen this come back in stock other than a bunch of resellers. shame i should have bought more than 1 a month ago, id like to have a back up or maybe one for the wife. Anyone purchase the new 3ds XL refurbs direct from Nintendo? that seems like a good way to not get gouged on the price of these

I found a new purple one at a gamestop recently, you could check there. I was surprised to find it so you might get lucky.

Been finding the clearance 2ds travel cases at GamesStops as well. Picked up a black w/teal stitching, brown zelda, and red mario cart. Zelda and mario were $8.97, black was $12.97.
  • ctrek3 likes this

#233 shiningslade   Master Of Pinball CAGiversary!   847 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

shiningslade

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:26 PM

I've been seeing these in stock pretty regularly lately in NJ & PA
  • ctrek3 likes this

#234 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3305 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

I've seen it at my local stores as recently as Saturday.  Double check the actual stores if you want another.  Also use the link on the OP's post... don't use the app as the app wont report instore stock right on these systems for some reason.  If the website says they have them, so far, it's been very accurate.  They might be in the case or in the metal cages at the electronics checkout.

#235 CritcalJ   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   145 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

CritcalJ

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:23 PM

Back in stock.

#236 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   500 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:53 PM

It wasn't hard at all, all I did was use Jack Sorrel's youtube videos and his website to get the homebrew app up and running on the Wii U. Then I installed vWii, which allowed me to install the homebrew launcher for the Wii portion of the Wii U. After that, install nintendont, plug a usb thumbdrive filled with gamecube ISOs and you're good to go.

A hacked Wii U effectively lets you play the entire main console nintendo library (not 100%, but darn near close)...I would say it's definitely worth it to hack.

There are other hacks that allow you to inject WiiU and Gamecube games directly to the homescreen of the tablet, allowing you to play Gamecube games with the tablet controls. I didn't use this method (it's a little more involved) and I don't mind having to play the Gamecube games on my HDTV. Buy the mayflash gamecube controller adapter, the nintendo official adapter or the wii u pro controller and you're set.

I was going to hack my wiiu, until I realized that i was going to have to buy a game at full price on the eshop if I wanted to make it worth my while and the cheapskate in me can't pull the trigger on that yet.

#237 ctrek3   for pony CAGiversary!   567 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:14 PM

I've been seeing these in stock pretty regularly lately in NJ & PA

Nice i'm in PA

I've seen it at my local stores as recently as Saturday.  Double check the actual stores if you want another.  Also use the link on the OP's post... don't use the app as the app wont report instore stock right on these systems for some reason.  If the website says they have them, so far, it's been very accurate.  They might be in the case or in the metal cages at the electronics checkout.

I have been avoiding going to stores unless needed. next time i go maybe ill check 

Back in stock.

thanks, just ordered a second one, i see now they have limited the qty to 1, it was 5 when i originally ordered one a month ago

• walletandgromice likes this

#238 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3235 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:46 AM

Okay, I have a  old 2ds with about 10 games. I just bought this to hack . 

Should I transfer my nintendo id to this new 2ds xl  to link mario kart to account and then hack it?  OR should I just leave the old nintendo id on my old  2ds and hack the new system and forget mario kart?    I am planning on keeping my old 2ds. 

#239 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5447 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:37 AM

Okay, I have a old 2ds with about 10 games. I just bought this to hack .

Should I transfer my nintendo id to this new 2ds xl to link mario kart to account and then hack it? OR should I just leave the old nintendo id on my old 2ds and hack the new system and forget mario kart? I am planning on keeping my old 2ds.

If you’re hacking the new system, I’d personally keep it simple and create a new Nintendo ID. You can keep Mario Karr on the new system and also pretty much add whatever else you’re looking for if you hack it. Check Reddit and you’ll find plenty of resources and links.
  • billyrox likes this

#240 DaShaka   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2104 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:40 AM

If you’re hacking the new system, I’d personally keep it simple and create a new Nintendo ID. You can keep Mario Karr on the new system and also pretty much add whatever else you’re looking for if you hack it. Check Reddit and you’ll find plenty of resources and links.

Couldn’t they technically just ‘get’ mario kart as well? Why bother with the free version that comes with it. genuinely asking...
  • SoulEdgeVII likes this