Playstation 5 Pre-sale ?

arcurifisher

CAGiversary!
SCREEN RANT is reporting that PS5 reservations are likely soon and possibly even tonight.  Just seeing if anyone else heard anything?  

Might as well tack additional news on here, instead of starting a new thread.

PS5 finally has release date and pricing announced. It's going to be landing in the US on November 12th, and will cost $500 for the full version, and $400 for the digital-only version.

It is absolutely insane that it's taken this long for this information to hit. In any other year, we would have known this at least 6 months ahead of time, probably closer to 9 months. It is less than 2 months until these things are available for purchase. Right down to the wire.

The PS5 pricing is more competitive than I though it would be. The $500 price-tag for the full version is right in line with expectations. But the $400 for the digital-only edition is unexpected. That's a bigger dip than I had thought would happen.

Microsoft and Sony are taking two different approaches to scaling out their platforms. Both are reasonably competitive. Neither is particularly bad. But they do have one very significant thing in common. Both approaches are geared toward encouraging digital-only platforms. The digital-only options for these systems are priced to move. There's enough of a gap in the cost to make them attractive to consumers with reliable internet. Both of these platform holders are very eager to stop printing discs.

I was surprised with the $400 PS5 Digital too but a user comment on Reddit that rationalized that was: Sony will get full royalties on game sales for their digital console since pre-owned games are not a factor. 

But also, I think it's well worth buying the $500 disc version (in additional to being able to sell the game you buy) since you effectively get a 4K BD player, which are still pretty pricy. 

But also, I think it's well worth buying the $500 disc version (in additional to being able to sell the game you buy) since you effectively get a 4K BD player, which are still pretty pricy.
Yes, Sony and Microsoft both have fairly transparent motivations here. They clearly want the digital versions of their consoles to sell well. I have heard that the initial production runs will lean much more heavily toward the disc-bearing systems. But that is not unusual for the launch window. Most of the more hardcore early adopters will likely gravitate toward the more expensive and feature-rich option. After the initial rush, the broader, more casual market will be hungry for the lower-cost options.

I'm also more interested in the more expensive disc systems. From what I understand, the PS4 compatibility is quite good, and I have a massive library of PS4 discs. I would actually have a decent use for the heftier option.

bread's done
Back