* * * * * 5 votes

Xbox Series S/X Re-stock Thread

#3601 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   1284 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:16 AM

Like...I feel you, but at the same time, I think that kind of misses the point on what the Series S is supposed to be?

Unlike the PS5, where the SKUs are functionally identical save for the disc drive, the Series S seems positioned to be a Game Pass box (which is what I'm getting mine for). Game Pass likely isn't the sort of service where you're trying to juggle 20 games at once, yeah?

I kinda think game pass is meant for you to try many different games. The game pass quests have you playing new games every week. Seems only Microsoft bothers to make games significantly smaller for the S. I’m glad it’s affordable at $299 but with a little over 350 GB of usable space...

#3602 SackAttack   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   883 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

SackAttack

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:52 AM

I kinda think game pass is meant for you to try many different games. The game pass quests have you playing new games every week. Seems only Microsoft bothers to make games significantly smaller for the S. I’m glad it’s affordable at $299 but with a little over 350 GB of usable space...

I mean, end of the day, what Microsoft wants from you out of Game Pass is that you remain subscribed. How you use the service in a way that furthers that goal, I think they're less concerned about. Yeah, encouraging you to Play A Bunch increases the chances of knock-on revenue from buying Game Pass titles. That ain't nothing. But someone who pays $15/month to play Football Manager, Crusader Kings III (on PC), and, Fuck, I dunno. Tetris Effect? They're paying the same $15 month as the butterfly who plays 20 different games.

But, again, I think it's important to keep in mind the difference between the PS5 disc and digital editions, and the Series X and Series S.

Sony made the decision to offer functionally the same hardware to two different market segments and trade the folks willing to lock into the digital ecosystem an optical drive for a Benjamin. So you've got the same internal SSD, everything else, it's just a question of whether you're poly-gamer-ous, or locked into digital.

Microsoft cut a few corners with Series S. The CPU and GPU hit lower benchmarks. The SSD is smaller. There's no disc drive. Etc. It's not really designed to be anybody's "primary" console, except maybe the "I don't have more than $300 to spend on a console" demographic. It's aimed at an introductory or possibly a complementary audience. People for whom the newest generation of Xbox is gonna be their main machine are almost certainly looking at a Series X, and if they buy an S, it's as a stopgap until they can FIND an X.

IMO.

#3603 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:58 AM

This past Thursday I was able to successfully place an order for SX + Warranty that used mostly credit (I don't think any of it was promotional/had an expiration date), and the last (some amount less than $30) was paid by credit card.

I have $124 expiring on Tuesday. I also did not add a warranty. Maybe they don't take expiring credit or maybe if you add a warranty it goes through.

#3604 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6988 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:48 AM

Generally speaking, using PayPal at checkout for most places is a different experience than a normal checkout process. This isn't unique to Microsoft.

#3605 ritchardf  

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:55 AM

Gamestop is the same way, you cant combine paypal and gamestop gift cards

#3606 Touch3  

Posted 26 April 2021 - 03:07 PM

Generally speaking, using PayPal at checkout for most places is a different experience than a normal checkout process. This isn't unique to Microsoft.

Yeah, given the variables (I added a warranty, none of my credit was promotional, I used a credit card for the balance instead of paypal) I think the Paypal one would be the hangup.

#3607 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 26 April 2021 - 05:07 PM

I should have just used the credit card that's on my PayPal account rather than using PayPal. Oh well.

#3608 dfo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   760 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:48 PM

Sorry if this is common knowledge, I had been sitting out the next gen race but suddenly grew interested with the current Costco $100 off $500 coupon, which is only good through May 7.  Is there any predictability to when new Series X shipments drop at Costco?  Looks like there were some March 30 and then maybe on May 3 (sold out in a minute)?  Trying to figure out if there's even hope of scoring one before my coupon expires. 

#3609 SackAttack   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   883 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

SackAttack

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:56 PM

Is the coupon even usable on gaming hardware?

#3610 dfo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   760 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:01 PM

Is the coupon even usable on gaming hardware?

I don't think there are any exclusions other than Costco giftcards. Probably been hard to test given the lack of PS5 and Series X availability at Costco the past month though.

#3611 SackAttack   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   883 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

SackAttack

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:45 PM

I mean, coupons like that most places have a long list of exclusions and almost always block gaming hardware.

#3612 dfo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   760 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:10 PM

I mean, coupons like that most places have a long list of exclusions and almost always block gaming hardware.

Here's the fine print someone reported getting from Customer Service - nothing about gaming systems in there:

Only valid on Costco.com. Not valid in warehouse. One coupon code per Costco member. Ineligible purchases include: new Costco memberships, Costco membership renewals, gift of membership, Costco Shop cards, custom installation services, Same-day grocery delivery, and online-digital print orders. Not valid for orders at the online Pharmacy, Costco Travel or Costco Business Delivery. The merchandise total in your cart must equal $500 or more before tax and shipping to receive the $100 off. The coupon code must be entered in the promo code box at checkout to be valid. This offer may not be combined with any other offer or promotion.

But I figured odds of catching a restock before May 7 were low, so I just used the coupon to buy three discounted $100 Xbox Giftcards (max Costco allows per customer) and some other stuff.  Now I just have to watch for restock at the Microsoft store.

#3613 segasonic128   Segasonic CAGiversary!   592 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

segasonic128

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:20 PM

MS has been impressive with the game titles supporting FPS boost.    Not bad.     Now what we really need is the heutchy method system automatic resolution scaling 2x,4x,8x for every game that runs on Series S|X

#3614 ppitchfork  

ppitchfork

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:25 PM

GameStop’s website seems to have some series s bundles and all access available

https://www.gamestop...ies-x?q=gen5521

#3615 Phi  

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:48 PM

GameStop’s website seems to have some series s bundles and all access available

https://www.gamestop...ies-x?q=gen5521

That's cool. I had a Series S for awhile, but sold it because I was bummed out about the amount of hard drive space, and I also naively thought I could easily get a Series X or PS5 later. But anyway, the bundles there seem to have mostly items a person could use, useful if you just have Gamestop credit to burn. One thing I do like about the Series S vs. The XBox One X, PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, etc... is games just seem to play more "fluid", and Microsoft does have a great library if you're into playing older games with new life breathed in via higher graphics quality settings.

#3616 SackAttack   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   883 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

SackAttack

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:26 AM

What's weird to me is my Series S is saying it's outputting at 4k, which I know it isn't, but my TV only does 1080p and 4k for HD, so I dunno why it isn't forcing 1080 as the resolution.

#3617 Phi  

Posted 06 May 2021 - 12:33 AM

What's weird to me is my Series S is saying it's outputting at 4k, which I know it isn't, but my TV only does 1080p and 4k for HD, so I dunno why it isn't forcing 1080 as the resolution.

Yeah, I don't know. Maybe it's taking the 1440p or whatever image and upscaling it to 4K. I'm under the impression this type of upscaling has no performance cost or almost none.

#3618 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6949 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:28 PM

Xbox Wireless Headset $94.99
https://www.costco.c....100754535.html

#3619 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6949 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:38 PM

Xbox Series X
https://t.co/HX5OKUBUkq?amp=1

#3620 mebegod   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   543 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:54 PM

out of stock for me

#3621 toocool17   Gamer 4 Life CAGiversary!   847 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:22 PM

Series S available on bby

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6430277

#3622 dfo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   760 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2021 - 02:35 AM

I was able to score a Series X on the Microsoft Store this afternoon through a notification on the HotStock App. My impression is things continue to sell out in seconds so an app or the like may be a necessity if you want one now. Microsoft is claiming they’ll have supply under control by June so maybe this nonsense is almost at an end anyway.

#3623 ckc4043   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2171 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2021 - 02:41 AM

Hello…Do you know whether I can buy a previous gen like the Xbox one S to buy the series X in the store ? I mean does Xbox one S also have the feature of buying hardware in the system menu ?

I never own an Xbox before but I want the X actually. Some people said using Xbox consoles to buy the hardware is a very good way to secure the console during restock in mircosoft store. I am planning to buy a used Xbox one S to give it a try …Xbox series s is too expensive

#3624 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6988 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:56 PM

That sounds like a terrible idea.

#3625 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6949 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:50 PM

Costco Series X Bundle
https://www.costco.c....100757146.html

#3626 Fuzzmeister  

Fuzzmeister

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:28 PM

Series S up on Gamestop. Looks like without a bundle or All Access too

#3627 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11912 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:40 PM

#3628 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6988 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:15 AM

That sounds like a terrible idea.

Well... umm...

Guess this aged poorly?

#3629 Lucian   Officer Friendly CAGiversary!   1489 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:25 AM

Well... umm...

Guess this aged poorly?

Haha, excellent follow-up.

#3630 Touch3  

Posted 15 May 2021 - 08:09 AM

I'd still posit that if you're willing to drop a few hundred to get an Xbox One just so you can maybe get a Series X... why not just use that extra money and pay scalper prices and save youself the trouble?