* * * - - 3 votes

Best Buy YMMV Thread

best buy

#181 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6819 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 16 September 2021 - 05:31 PM

I haven't had too many bad experiences with them thankfully but last year when I ordered nier automata and they sent me the outer worlds I was pretty ticked. But here's the kicker. They sent me 3 copies of the outer worlds. I did the right thing and returned them and only got a refund for my 14$ copy of nier. No apology for the error or a credit or something to make up for it. If by some chance a similar thing ever happens I sure as hell won't return the games and just resell them or something.

I mean how do you send not only the wrong game but 3 copies of it? My own dumb mistake for not reselling them since even if I sold each one at 25 I'd still have made a profit. Iirc it was going for around 30-35 at the time on best buys website too. You would think I'd at least have gotten a effin thank you for my honesty.

#182 DanteWarrior   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1531 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

DanteWarrior

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:42 PM

Bestbuy played GameStop with me. Just way worse service though

Got an opened CE with the game inside opened as well. Both were supposed to be sealed

And then the lady in store tells me that it’s against state law to accept return of opened games.

She was acting as if she will be arrested for taking back a game they sent me opened. Outer box had a bestbuy sticker that showed it was shipped from a store. So obviously the sticker was put after taking off shrink wrap

I stood my ground & a manager turned out to have some common sense & took it back. Bestbuy is going to lose customers with such practices 

#183 CritcalJ   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   189 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

CritcalJ

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:52 AM

Bestbuy played GameStop with me. Just way worse service though

Got an opened CE with the game inside opened as well. Both were supposed to be sealed

And then the lady in store tells me that it’s against state law to accept return of opened games.

She was acting as if she will be arrested for taking back a game they sent me opened. Outer box had a bestbuy sticker that showed it was shipped from a store. So obviously the sticker was put after taking off shrink wrap

I stood my ground & a manager turned out to have some common sense & took it back. Bestbuy is going to lose customers with such practices 

Best Buy is not long for the world.  It’s about to join Circuit City in that great mall in the sky (or as a purchased name to use on an electronics site).

The closest BB to me used to have like 12 registers.  They removed 8.  There’s only 4 left

#184 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15858 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:50 AM

People still shop at BB since GCU was canceled? I didn't even qualify for elite this year, which is a first in like a decade I think.

#185 TheOldGuy  

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:57 AM

I went to my local Best Buy a couple of weeks ago for an IPad accessory and the cashier could not have been more of a douchebag. Fuck you, Best Buy, I’m done with you.

#186 superxgaga   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

superxgaga

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:38 AM

That story about cyberpunk reminded of my experience from last year, I preorder'd cyberpunk collector edition when I still had GCU, and my email/bill said $200+tax, but when it shipped on release date, I saw I got billed on my credit card for $250+tax, so I asked their live chat for the 50 dollar, and guy gave me a hard time for about 30 mins, I even linked their preorder price guarantee all that stuff, he just laughed and told me to go bugger myself. And the next day I read the review the game was absolutely garbage/unplayable, so I returned that right away.

#187 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   676 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 17 September 2021 - 05:14 AM

That story about cyberpunk reminded of my experience from last year, I preorder'd cyberpunk collector edition when I still had GCU, and my email/bill said $200+tax, but when it shipped on release date, I saw I got billed on my credit card for $250+tax, so I asked their live chat for the 50 dollar, and guy gave me a hard time for about 30 mins, I even linked their preorder price guarantee all that stuff, he just laughed and told me to go bugger myself. And the next day I read the review the game was absolutely garbage/unplayable, so I returned that right away.

You shouldn't have returned it. Cd projekt red gave me a $200 refund and I kept the CE, which had some really nice stuff in it

#188 Navigator2001Plus  

Navigator2001Plus

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:48 PM

People still shop at BB since GCU was canceled?

I shop there primarily for the exclusive Marvel Steelbooks. And we recently got a nice new oven from there. But for video games... not so much.

#189 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3069 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:27 PM

I shop there for some Limited Run Games releases.

#190 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15858 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 September 2021 - 04:42 AM

I shop there primarily for the exclusive Marvel Steelbooks. And we recently got a nice new oven from there. But for video games... not so much.

Yeah, ever since D+ hit streaming I've had no desire to buy any of their movies. For video games, well I've been to GameStop every month now for my $5 Xbox credit from PUR but that's about it heh.

#191 pun123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3562 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:19 PM

Yeah, ever since D+ hit streaming I've had no desire to buy any of their movies. For video games, well I've been to GameStop every month now for my $5 Xbox credit from PUR but that's about it heh.

Agreed, I have only bought a few games since GCU ended and usually they were a price match to GS.  The $5 I use for xbox credit and just wait for a sale of a game that isnt on gamepass. 

#192 SideQuestsSuck  

SideQuestsSuck

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:53 PM

Not truly a YMMV post but I noticed “Immortals Fenyx Rising” is on sale on all formats for $19.99 on Amazon, 1st party seller. I’ve never price matched a video game from $59.99 down to that low below…wondering if BB would give me guff over it. The listing says Prime but only for shipping. In my experience, BB looks for any way not to price match and $40 off a full price game is likely something they will freak out over.

#193 Shad0WeN  

Shad0WeN

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:15 PM

Not truly a YMMV post but I noticed “Immortals Fenyx Rising” is on sale on all formats for $19.99 on Amazon, 1st party seller. I’ve never price matched a video game from $59.99 down to that low below…wondering if BB would give me guff over it. The listing says Prime but only for shipping. In my experience, BB looks for any way not to price match and $40 off a full price game is likely something they will freak out over.

I suppose there's a chance they might and I can't say I have read through the current price match policy to see if it has any clauses for newer restrictions. That said, if you try it and they give you an issue one thing you could mention that supports your case is that they have put the game on sale themselves for $24.99 multiple times the past few months (I imagine they have a way of seeing this in their system?) so another $5 really isn't as much as it may seem given the standard 'on sale' price for the game thus far -- across various retailers frankly.

edit: Or consider just price matching with Target instead if that's an option. They've never given me an issue with matching on an item sold direct from Amazon.

#194 SideQuestsSuck  

SideQuestsSuck

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:53 PM

I suppose there's a chance they might and I can't say I have read through the current price match policy to see if it has any clauses for newer restrictions. That said, if you try it and they give you an issue one thing you could mention that supports your case is that they have put the game on sale themselves for $24.99 multiple times the past few months (I imagine they have a way of seeing this in their system?) so another $5 really isn't as much as it may seem given the standard 'on sale' price for the game thus far -- across various retailers frankly.

edit: Or consider just price matching with Target instead if that's an option. They've never given me an issue with matching on an item sold direct from Amazon.

Thanks…that’s a good idea to mention their own recent price drop down to $25. Would try at Target but I have BB gift cards. Am trying this price match later today…we shall see what happens.

#195 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4559 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2021 - 06:59 PM

Thanks…that’s a good idea to mention their own recent price drop down to $25. Would try at Target but I have BB gift cards. Am trying this price match later today…we shall see what happens.

there should be no problem price matching as long as amazon still has it in stock

#196 Dark Rider   The Bus Guy CAGiversary!   2922 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2021 - 07:30 PM

You should have no problem. As long as the price seems reasonable they will likely just do it nowadays without a second thought. If you were claiming Amazon had it for $2 they might be suspicious. Price matching is so much easier now that they match online. I always hated standing there when they used to call the local competitor to verify the price.

#197 SideQuestsSuck  

SideQuestsSuck

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:38 PM

there should be no problem price matching as long as amazon still has it in stock

You were all correct…just got back from BB. I’ve gotten hard ass associates before who gave me the 9th degree but the dude today simply scanned the game to look it up for comparison and gave me no issues.

You should have no problem. As long as the price seems reasonable they will likely just do it nowadays without a second thought. If you were claiming Amazon had it for $2 they might be suspicious. Price matching is so much easier now that they match online. I always hated standing there when they used to call the local competitor to verify the price.

I wasn’t aware you could price match online now. Is it pretty simple? I’ll have to look up how to do it…as I can’t recall seeing a price match link on the site. Thought it was only possible either in person or on the phone with BB main #.

#198 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3527 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2021 - 09:55 PM

I wasn’t aware you could price match online now. Is it pretty simple? I’ll have to look up how to do it…as I can’t recall seeing a price match link on the site. Thought it was only possible either in person or on the phone with BB main #.

I did it with Bravely Default a few weeks ago.  First rep was looking for every reason possible to deny me.  Closed the chat, started a new one.  2nd rep pm'd with zero hassle.  So I'd say it's an uneven experience and just depends on who you get.  There's a link to open a chat for pm request on the following bby page.
https://www.bestbuy....cat290300050002

#199 SideQuestsSuck  

SideQuestsSuck

Posted 25 September 2021 - 10:14 PM

I did it with Bravely Default a few weeks ago. First rep was looking for every reason possible to deny me. Closed the chat, started a new one. 2nd rep pm'd with zero hassle. So I'd say it's an uneven experience and just depends on who you get. There's a link to open a chat for pm request on the following bby page.
https://www.bestbuy....cat290300050002

Aaah, it’s through a chat. I’m sure it can be tough, as you described. Thanks for the link. Maybe one day if they get really advanced, they’ll make it so you just have to paste the link of the competing website item and it’ll “smart detect” whether to match it or not.

#200 Accidie  

Posted 04 October 2021 - 11:36 AM

Check your email to see if you got a my best buy mystery cert email. I got $5

#201 Sporkis   Barley Legal CAGiversary!   1901 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2021 - 12:39 PM

Check your email to see if you got a my best buy mystery cert email. I got $5

126540-I-Got-A-Rock.gif

#202 schaft0620   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   92 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

schaft0620

Posted 07 October 2021 - 01:59 AM

Anyone know if BB is doing a 9PM for the OLED Switch? Can't call in anymore and my local store is an hour away.

#203 Shad0WeN  

Shad0WeN

Posted 07 October 2021 - 04:23 AM

Anyone know if BB is doing a 9PM for the OLED Switch? Can't call in anymore and my local store is an hour away.

They wouldn't be sold out anyway?

#204 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4674 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 07 October 2021 - 04:45 AM

Not sure about best buy, but I asked the guy at gamestop tonight if they were doing a midnight launch and he said that Nintendo doesn't let them do midnight launches anymore. I imagine it would be the same for best. But who knows he may not have known what he was talking about.

#205 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3113 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:15 PM

It's just another street dated product to Best Buy. No special release.

#206 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3983 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:22 PM

A side question, i got one fo the free $5 reward but not sure what to spend it on.  Does does the preorder then cancel roll the $5 in point back to my account

#207 DocWatson  

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:40 PM

A side question, i got one fo the free $5 reward but not sure what to spend it on.  Does does the preorder then cancel roll the $5 in point back to my account

If I'm understanding you, you can't apply the $5 reward to a pre-order, BUT when you pick up the pre-order you can apply the $5 reward and it will roll $5 onto a trade card for you.

#208 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3983 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:58 PM

in this case, how about i place an order and then cancel it?

#209 Twilightsparkle  

Twilightsparkle

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:07 PM

in this case, how about i place an order and then cancel it?

If you are talking about the bonus $5 some accounts got, if you cancel an order it is gone.  

The ones you earned they reissue, but not for these.

#210 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3983 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:32 PM

If you are talking about the bonus $5 some accounts got, if you cancel an order it is gone.  

The ones you earned they reissue, but not for these.

Can someone confirm pretty sure i did it before.  In a bind since they refuse top let me use the $5 on psn card