Question about PS4 Pro after PS5 purchase - Need Opinions/Info

douglasmcc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
97 (98%)
I have my PS5 preordered and am looking forward to it.  However, I am now looking at my PS4 Pro and wondering what to do with it.  I have never "collected" older systems.  Once I move on, I tend to sell, trade, or give them to a relative.  PS3 was the first one I kept, after upgrading to the PS4 incase I decided I needed to play PS1,2,3 games.  Truth be told, I have only used it 4-5 times over the last 5 years.  It's collecting dust in the back of my storage closet right now.  If I trade my PS4 Pro in near/at PS5 launch, I can get around 175 dollars credit for it.  What I am trying to decide is if it's worth keeping.  So, here are my questions:

1.) I know that PS4 games (or 99% of them as they like to say) will work on PS5.  So, don't need the Pro for that.  But, how about the digital stuff I have bought on Playstation Network over the last generation.  Will it work on PS5?

2.) Will the remasters and other older Playstation games that were reworked to run on PS4 (and by that I mean sold on PSN listed as running on the PS4) work on PS5?

3.) What are the reasons, outside of the collecting aspect, to keep the PS4 Pro?

I have already decided to give my Xbox One X to my nephew if I actually go through with completing my preorder for the Series X - depends on finances and other issues in November.  But that was an easy choice considering EVERYTHING is suppose to work on Series X.  LOL, it's amazing how the tides have turned with Sony and MS in just one generation.  Please share your opinions.

Has Sony DEFINITIVELY declared their strategy around PS4 games? Can we simply insert a PS4 disc into a PS5 and play? Or are they still "determining" ? This is a big reason I'm looking to go Xbox Series X first.

Has Sony DEFINITIVELY declared their strategy around PS4 games? Can we simply insert a PS4 disc into a PS5 and play? Or are they still "determining" ? This is a big reason I'm looking to go Xbox Series X first.
It's honestly pretty iffy... they initially said the 100 most popular PS4 games would work on PS5 and now they're saying 99% of PS4 games will work on PS5.

I'm fairly confident the issue is related to the faster storage. The PS4's base HD speed is 5400 RPM which was slow back when it released but is ungodly slow today. So all PS4 games were designed around that set speed so when things load faster for the game and the game's not ready for it load faster, it probably causes issues.

I mean, I have a PS4 Pro with an SSD and while games run perfectly 90% of the time (and in fact, better than before) there are some odd issues. For example, Ghost of Tsushima, opening the menu for anything and fast traveling are so much smoother and faster, there's minimal pop ins... BUT, often when I finish a mission and am getting the post missing rewards summary with Jin standing/posing on screen... all of the summary rewards and show up and pass, but Jin continues to stand there/cannot move for a few seconds.

I'd wager the actual story is they're making sure the ~100 most popular games will work perfectly fine but overall, 99% of all PS4 games should work almost perfectly but the can't test them all/say for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have no idea the method of testing done, so for them to claim 99% of all games they tested work is absolutely worthless. Tested could mean, we loaded a disc and got to the selection screen. It could mean they played each game start to finish. Given their absolute disdain for BC (Jim Ryan is kind of a douche; I miss ol' Jackie boy) I doubt there was extensive testing and they've been nothing but vague on the entire issue.

Best advice? Don't believe a god damn thing Sony says until you can verify it yourself. It really disgusts me how they're treating customers this time around just because they -think- they're top dog now.

I am keeping my pro. Nothing like having a good backup especially one that plays 100%.   On this next leap.  I am not so sure people will be blown away with the results.   The leap to dvd from vhs was astounding.  The move from dvd to blu ray was excellent.  Where do we go from here visually?   For me this is the first time I am feeling that the current systems are not near end of life.   

I am keeping my pro. Nothing like having a good backup especially one that plays 100%. On this next leap. I am not so sure people will be blown away with the results. The leap to dvd from vhs was astounding. The move from dvd to blu ray was excellent. Where do we go from here visually? For me this is the first time I am feeling that the current systems are not near end of life.
I'm keeping my Pro too. Sony has not handled BC well. I can understand no PS1 and 2 games, but it sucks that even PSN releases on PS3 do not work on PS4. I can't see it hurting them too much though, more and more people seem to be gravitating towards subscription based gaming anyway, which gives them a big advantage if the bring PS1, 2, and 3 games on PS Now.

In terms of image quality, I honestly cannot tell the diff between 1080p and 4K 90% of the time when things are in motion. I know the push to 4K is just for marketing purposes but eventually people will figure out it (just look at 3D). Then I think console developers and publishers will slowly start to realize that and the focus will move on smoother running (higher FPS) games instead of higher resolution.

And of course, there's also VR, which is pretty amazing. Even when I got my PSVR I was pretty impressed by how much fun it was given the price now (or a year ago when I bought the bundle, for $250). But there's a lot of improvements needed- image quality, all the wires/complexity of setting it up, various accessories needed, etc. make it kind of a hassle, even if it's fairly affordable.

bread's done
Back