- - - - -

Aliexpress and Credit Card Fraud

#1 Kerig   PSForsaken no longer! CAGiversary!   6261 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2020 - 03:43 AM

I made my first purchase today on Aliexpress, bought two small trinket items.  Thought I would use Paypal like most places offer, but they didn't accept that, so I used a credit card that I only use for online purchases.

~6 hours later, my CC company texts me asking about some flagged charge attempts that they declined from doordash.  I've never used doordash before, so it couldn't be from them directly.

In 25+ years of having credit cards, this is the very first time I've ever had a fraud attempt requiring the shutting down and reissuing of a CC.

25 years without aliexpress = fine

6 hours with aliexpress = fraud.

I looked it up online, and most people turn a blind eye, blaming computer malware and pretend that it's not aliexpress at fault.  I did the aliexpress purchases at work, on a very secure network/computer.

With that said, I want to buy dumb cheap junk on aliexpress, but fool me once rules say no more using a credit card.  Any suggestions on a foolproof way to buy from them without trying to have food delivered 2,000 miles away without your consent?

Also looking for confirmation of fraud or no fraud experience with them.  Literally the 1st transaction rung my bell.  Fortunately my credit card company was somehow smart enough to decline the bad transactions before they were charged.  Kudos to Bank of America for letting me buy from China to Middle America, but putting the kibosh on ordering Chinese food from California.

#2 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   7017 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2020 - 04:18 AM

I have had my card number stolen at least a dozen times. Not exaggerating at all.

I do nothing particularly risky or odd. Typical purchases at normal places, in person and online.

I also had a debit card number stolen and I literally never used it once. I received it, activated it, and stored it. It popped up with fraudulent charges a year later.

I've purchased from AliExpress a bunch and haven't had any issues with any of the cards I used there.

#3 Tyler!  

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:56 AM

The part where you said others say it's malware or another type of virus is likely people that work for AliExpress in one form or another trying to convince people that their site isn't fraudulent. That's my guess anyways. Plenty of companies and people out there can easily buy/fake reviews, and some actually seem legit.

Just another thing to think about I suppose lol.

Oh yeah, before I leave, the only time I've ever dealt with a chinese company I got alerted to a fraudulent charge on my card around midnight of the same day. So ~12 hrs later in my case. Although that was many years ago now.

#4 Theinfamousj  

Theinfamousj

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:59 PM

I buy from AliExpress regularly and have always used my PayPal. It is odd that OP couldn't. That seems ... Tampered with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk