1TB Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S Pre-Order $198 + Free S&H (Valid w/ Free Target Circle Acct)

Before anyone compares the price to current SSDs, I think it's worth mentioning that this is the next generation of SSDs. As for whether that justifies the price or not, I don't know. 

I think it being a proprietary design though won't help in the long run, even with multiple manufacturers making it, vs PS5 support the standard NVMe SSDs used by PCs as long as they're fast enough (which they should be relatively soon, as some companies have already started releasing some). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Before anyone compares the price to current SSDs, I think it's worth mentioning that this is the next generation of SSDs. As for whether that justifies the price or not, I don't know.

I think it being a proprietary design though won't help in the long run, even with multiple manufacturers making it, vs PS5 support the standard NVMe SSDs used by PCs as long as they're fast enough (which they should be relatively soon, as some companies have already started releasing some).
Its proprietary drive structure isn't as bad as people think. Its not like the 360 where it was only Microsoft only brand harddrives and memory cards. They are gonna allow 3rd party to make cards, like PS2 back in the day. Which means someone could create a Memory card adapter that has a slot for your own M.2 NVME and then plug it in to this slot. Not sure if MS would approve something like that but its still a possibility since that slot has a direct link to the full bandwidth SSD. Wouldn't be surprised if MS hasn't thought about making one themselves if the market needs it.

You can get $22 off the pricey Xbox Series X/S expansion card at Target by simply using your targets free circle account and going to the Offers and clicking +save offer on the "Additional 10% Off Select Electronics or Video Game"

Just canceled my Best Buy Preorder and saved me $22!
Also, if you use your Target Red Card to pay for it then you get another 5% off ($9.90) for a total discount of $31.90 making it $188.09 before tax.

:applause:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:34732]

You can get $22 off the pricey Xbox Series X/S expansion card at Target by simply using your targets free circle account and going to the Offers and clicking +save offer on the "Additional 10% Off Select Electronics or Video Game"

Just canceled my Best Buy Preorder and saved me $22!
Is this an error? The coupon says:

Excludes items sold & shipped by Target Plus™ Partners. Excludes Apple, Bose, Clearance, DSLR cameras & lenses, Facebook Oculus & Portal, Fitbit, Google, HP, LG OLED TV, mobile contracts, new release video games post 10/5/2020, Nintendo consoles, Play Station consoles and accessories, Preorder, Samsung TVs, Sonos, Sony, select video games* and Xbox consoles and accessories.

I'm waiting for my Red Card to arrive, and it'd be great to stack that discount. Incidentally, if I preorder today and change my payment to the Red Card after it arrives, do I still get that extra 5%?

Is this an error? The coupon says:

Excludes items sold & shipped by Target Plus™ Partners. Excludes Apple, Bose, Clearance, DSLR cameras & lenses, Facebook Oculus & Portal, Fitbit, Google, HP, LG OLED TV, mobile contracts, new release video games post 10/5/2020, Nintendo consoles, Play Station consoles and accessories, Preorder, Samsung TVs, Sonos, Sony, select video games* and Xbox consoles and accessories.

I'm waiting for my Red Card to arrive, and it'd be great to stack that discount. Incidentally, if I preorder today and change my payment to the Red Card after it arrives, do I still get that extra 5%?
Hmmm...

I suppose that while it MAY be an Xbox accessory, it is a Seagate branded device, and I can verify the coupon code DID work for me.

I also see no reason why you shouldn't be able to preorder today and get the extra 5% off as long as you manage to switch your payment method to Red Card once you receive the new card from Target.

Just my two cents.

Seems like a better plan would be to store extra games on a standard usb drive and transfer to the console when ready to play. 

These are gonna come down in price with time. I can definitely wait. 

I’ll wait for Black Friday for “good” prices for ssd for ps5. If none, I can wait. That’s expensive
Got bad news for you, if you think brand new PCIe 4.0 NVME SSDs will have a BF sale like months after hitting market, nah, usually doesn't happen. We still don't have a full list of supported drives, but a 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVME is roughly $200. They'll come down, just not right away.

There are lower quality ones available right now, but Sony still needs to publish the supported ones

I’ll wait for Black Friday for “good” prices for ssd for ps5. If none, I can wait. That’s expensive
Well, this is for Xbox not PlayStation. And you aren't going to get good deals on SSD drives (not drives that are actually able to met the specs required to be used in the PS5) this Black Friday. Especially when we aren't having a normal BF this year.

Got bad news for you, if you think brand new PCIe 4.0 NVME SSDs will have a BF sale like months after hitting market, nah, usually doesn't happen. We still don't have a full list of supported drives, but a 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVME is roughly $200. They'll come down, just not right away.

There are lower quality ones available right now, but Sony still needs to publish the supported ones
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-1tb-aorus-gen4/p/N82E16820009018?&quicklink=true

$160 today, I can see someone hitting 120.

I expect to see instructions on a diy adapter within 6 months.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-1tb-aorus-gen4/p/N82E16820009018?&quicklink=true

$160 today, I can see someone hitting 120.

I expect to see instructions on a diy adapter within 6 months.
We still don't know if PS5 supports 2280 size, it's definitely M2, but all we have are screenshots of the opening. Its quite annoying that Sony hasn't said exactly the specs needed, but something tells me the cheaper ones aren't going to work, just a hunch

Pretty sure that drive isn't going to be fast enough to play games off of too. That's the real issue.

https://bgr.com/2020/09/22/ps5-ssd-storage-samsung-980-pro-external-ssd-price-capacity-official/

Bummer they're sold out of preorders. I'll keep my Best Buy order for now, but hopefully it comes back in stock closer to release date.

We still don't know if PS5 supports 2280 size, it's definitely M2, but all we have are screenshots of the opening. Its quite annoying that Sony hasn't said exactly the specs needed, but something tells me the cheaper ones aren't going to work, just a hunch

Pretty sure that drive isn't going to be fast enough to play games off of too. That's the real issue.

https://bgr.com/2020/09/22/ps5-ssd-storage-samsung-980-pro-external-ssd-price-capacity-official/
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/10/09/your-pc-nvme-ssds-can-slot-straight-into-the-ps5/

Ignoring the headline, Gen4 will work as long as Sony gets their shit in order with the firmware solution. They're going to need to do something since the internal ssd is soldered in.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/10/09/your-pc-nvme-ssds-can-slot-straight-into-the-ps5/

Ignoring the headline, Gen4 will work as long as Sony gets their shit in order with the firmware solution. They're going to need to do something since the internal ssd is soldered in.
I mean even your article is saying they want it to be the later edition 4.0's not the cheaper one you linked, they want 7.0 G/B saturation, which that drive you linked doesn't do, so you won't be using the cheaper earlier 4.0 nvme's, like both articles state, just not Samsung and now WD have PCIe 4.0 drives coming that can hit the bandwidth Sony wants. Either way, the drives will get cheaper as more hit the market, its a better solution that MS hoping and praying someone else makes these special ssds to help mitigate pricing

I mean even your article is saying they want it to be the later edition 4.0's not the cheaper one you linked, they want 7.0 G/B saturation, which that drive you linked doesn't do, so you won't be using the cheaper earlier 4.0 nvme's, like both articles state, just not Samsung and now WD have PCIe 4.0 drives coming that can hit the bandwidth Sony wants. Either way, the drives will get cheaper as more hit the market, its a better solution that MS hoping and praying someone else makes these special ssds to help mitigate pricing
GIGABYTE AORUS Gen4 M.2

I can't show you what you're not seeing

great target deal!    i cancelled my BB preorder and got target set!     saved $34 with red card 5% and 10% circle offer!    sweet deal!   

GIGABYTE AORUS Gen4 M.2

I can't show you what you're not seeing
look at its throughput, their own specs are not hitting the needed specs Cerny said. Being 4.0 is meaningless, not all Gen 4 are the same. Can't show you what you're not seeing. Geeze don't be an ass, I posted and quoted specifically what Sony was looking for in Gen4 drives, the article you posted had the same, that drive you posted clearly states it tops out throughput below what Sony wants. Its pretty crystal clear. That drive won't make their supported list.

• Form Factor: M.2 2280
  • Interface: PCI-Express 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3
  • Sequential Read Speed : up to 5000 MB/s
  • Sequential Write speed : up to 4400 MB/s
  • Wear Leveling, Over-Provision technologies
  • TRIM & S.M.A.R.T supported
The bold is not fast enough according to Sony, they want at minimum 5.5 GB/s, that read is too slow.

Alright, I jumped on this since the 10% +5% brought it just under $200 for me. Pretty expensive for memory, but I think it will be a while before prices go down. Glad they were able to open some more preorders for this.

Well Sony hasn't released their list of Compatible SSD Expansion memory yet... And for all we know the PS5 cards could end up costing even more money thanks to scalpers hugging tons of them and Sony wouldn't want that to be a reason for people to get a Series X instead....The Series X prosperity form is for Easy usability as it doesn't get easier than literally Plug&Play unlike the PS5 which you have to Unplug the whole unit and remove plastic panels before you are able to install theirs.

bread's done
Back