Anyone try eBay Managed Payments?

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
I'm just curious if there's any benefit to switching over or anyone have any feedback on eBay's Managed Payment system over PayPal? 

I've been selling a few things per month for the good part of the last 10-15 years and always used PayPal. I've been lucky to not have any major issues but I got an email today with a offer to add Managed Payments to my listings. 

I don't really see any real benefit to it and eBay's CS sucks IMO. PayPal's CS on the other hand was been pretty ok for me. 

I got an email that said that I am required to update my account details by 12/31 and the update is for ebay new payment. They said that they will give me a $15 coupon if I update early. I think eventually ebay will force it on you.

Well shit- I didn't realize it said the same thing in the email I got. Update by 12/1 and get a coupon or be forced to update by 12/31. 

One of the actual benefits I can attest to is that you lose less money on a cancellation- I had a customer recently cancel and order and I only lost 0.30 flat fee, as opposed to the 2.x% that Paypal charges. So that's a benefit imo.

And I think you save a tiiiiny bit of money on each sale versus PayPal processing. Not 100% on that though

Based off the numbers I was seeing it did not appear to be a savings over normal eBay fees. They are saying most people will save money but I don’t think so. There’s obviously a reason for them to do so.

Current eBay fees max out at roughly 10% and PayPal takes 2.9% making a grand total of 12.9%

I believe the new fees are basically a flat rate all inclusive fee of 14.5%.

Unless someone sees something I’m missing, I actually believe we will all lose money.

Based off the numbers I was seeing it did not appear to be a savings over normal eBay fees. They are saying most people will save money but I don’t think so. There’s obviously a reason for them to do so.

Current eBay fees max out at roughly 10% and PayPal takes 2.9% making a grand total of 12.9%

I believe the new fees are basically a flat rate all inclusive fee of 14.5%.

Unless someone sees something I’m missing, I actually believe we will all lose money.
I've had 4 sales so far with the eBay payment system (vs 1 PayPal) and yeah, I'm not seeing much in terms of savings... my most recent sale was for $59.99+5.30 (shipping) = 65.29. My payout was 56.51 so the fees were 8.78 vs (based on a calculator I found), fees via PayPal would be 8.69. Not the end of the world but still...

I just noticed that I got my $15 off coupon. Check your account since I didn't get any notification. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on the new managed payment system since August 2020. No issues with it. However, I hate the payout system since it can take up to 4 days to get your money. 

For example: Item sold on Wednesday night. eBay asks you to ship the item immediately to get your funds faster. Your funds are currently pending at this time. Once it's shipped, you will have to wait 1 to 2 business days for the funds to clear first and then once it's cleared, the funds will show up on the available balance. I have my payout settings setup to deposit daily M-F rather than weekly every Tuesday. After that eBay managed system will check if you have any remaining funds in your available balance. If yes, then the automated payout system will proceed to send all the available funds balance to your checking account at a set time. For me it's always midnight Monday to Friday between 12am to 1am. So if the payout is sent out to my checking account on Friday 1am the funds will show up on my checking account on Monday 230am.

With PayPal I can get my funds to transfer any time of the day and show up on my checking account in minutes, even on a Sunday.

I'm on the new managed payment system since August 2020. No issues with it. However, I hate the payout system since it can take up to 4 days to get your money.

For example: Item sold on Wednesday night. eBay asks you to ship the item immediately to get your funds faster. Your funds are currently pending at this time. Once it's shipped, you will have to wait 1 to 2 business days for the funds to clear first and then once it's cleared, the funds will show up on the available balance. I have my payout settings setup to deposit daily M-F rather than weekly every Tuesday. After that eBay managed system will check if you have any remaining funds in your available balance. If yes, then the automated payout system will proceed to send all the available funds balance to your checking account at a set time. For me it's always midnight Monday to Friday between 12am to 1am. So if the payout is sent out to my checking account on Friday 1am the funds will show up on my checking account on Monday 230am.

With PayPal I can get my funds to transfer any time of the day and show up on my checking account in minutes, even on a Sunday.
The only thing I like about the eBay managed systems is that refunds are easier. I can just refund the buyer and eBay will take the money out of my account. With PayPal, I have to transfer money to my account (which takes 5 days usually) and then refund the buyer. In the past, PayPal would let me go into negative balance and just replenish my acct in time.

One major advantage is  that eBay's Money Back Guarantee is only 30 days, Paypal's is 180 days which can be a major problem at times so if the payment is through eBay Managed Payments, there is less of a chance of getting scammed by a buyer since they have less time to file a claim.

One major advantage is that eBay's Money Back Guarantee is only 30 days, Paypal's is 180 days which can be a major problem at times so if the payment is through eBay Managed Payments, there is less of a chance of getting scammed by a buyer since they have less time to file a claim.
I thought this was true but it sure doesn't seem like it... I just had a buyer request to return an item that was delivered on Nov 25, their reason? They bought the wrong version (PS4 instead of XB1). I get this might be an Xmas present and they just found out but even then, Xmas was over 10 days ago. eBay froze my funds for that amount in question, pretty ridiculous.

That’s disappointing to hear. When I start relisting my items again (I took everything down a month ago because of USPS delays), I was going to consider listing some higher priced stuff I have wanted to get rid of but was hesitant to list because of PayPal’s 180 days. If EBay’s guarantee is now longer than 30 days, I’ll probably wait on listing those expensive items.

That’s disappointing to hear. When I start relisting my items again (I took everything down a month ago because of USPS delays), I was going to consider listing some higher priced stuff I have wanted to get rid of but was hesitant to list because of PayPal’s 180 days. If EBay’s guarantee is now longer than 30 days, I’ll probably wait on listing those expensive items.
You know, when I open the return, there was an option I had that said "decline the request and close this request". I didn't think of it at the time because I figured I didn't have a choice but given that it was over 30 days, maybe I could have just declined it without question...?

If it said close this request, I would think that would have allowed you to deny the return. I never saw that before since the few times I have had return requests, they have been within a few days of when the item was delivered.

If it said close this request, I would think that would have allowed you to deny the return. I never saw that before since the few times I have had return requests, they have been within a few days of when the item was delivered.
Yeah I'm kicking myself now- just glanced over it and didn't even think about it because I figured I'd have to do the return anyway. Didn't even cross my mind that I sold the item long before the 30 day period. Probably gonna get a badly damaged item returned to me. Worse yet, the refund amount is $50 and eBay is current holding $83 of my funds from other sales. I don't get why they're holding all funds and the seller has until Jan 25 just to "ship" my item back... fucks sake.

Ebay loves it they get their money on Final sales fee right away rather then waiting for the bill monthly
I don't care about that but the fees on my sales have been insane... on Paypal, I averaged around 13% and so far, on everything I've sold via eBay's managed payments, fees have been 14-15%. I mean, I sell mostly low priced items ($20-30 range) but this is ridiculous.

bread's done
Back