The Last of Us Part 2 for PS4, $29.99 at Gamestop.com

I'm a massive Last of Us fan, but felt really let down with Part 2. Gameplay was amazing and the areas were huge compared to the first one but the story just wasn't there.

Really didn't enjoy how the game was split between 2 characters the whole way through, didn't do anything for me

by this summer this will be 9.99 just like God of War.  I wanna play it but already know all the spoilers and not really looking forward to playing it. 

At ths point, I'm okay just waiting on the inevitable remastered PS5 version.
I don't think any first-party games from the last year are getting Remasters besides Spider-Man, they all received enhancements as far back as Days Gone. Spider-Man probably only happened because they were using it for early tests on the hardware.

Killing Joel, especially how they did it was incredibly stupid and lazy imo. I dont mind him being killed but not the way they did it. He is way too smart for that.

I 1000% disagree with the criticisms this game receives. Amazing story and gameplay! Yes it might be opinions and preferences but if you were a fan of the original and dislike the sequel then something doesn't match up. 

I 1000% disagree with the criticisms this game receives. Amazing story and gameplay! Yes it might be opinions and preferences but if you were a fan of the original and dislike the sequel then something doesn't match up.
In Missouri where I live, when I hear someone say they didn't like the story, all I hear coming from their mouth is "being gay is a sin!" since apparently the general public never played the DLC on PS3, or PS4, or when Sony made it a stand along purchase on PS4.

(FYI this is not my opinion but just my experience from living in a red state.)

Anyone order Ellie edition from bestbuy, received mine and it was obviously a damaged open box return they tried to sell as new. Seals broken, has bestbuy inspection stickers, major damage all over. One of the worst condition items I’ve ever received.

In Missouri where I live, when I hear someone say they didn't like the story, all I hear coming from their mouth is "being gay is a sin!" since apparently the general public never played the DLC on PS3, or PS4, or when Sony made it a stand along purchase on PS4.

(FYI this is not my opinion but just my experience from living in a red state.)
Sorry, I get the concept you are trying to convey, I’m not arguing against the connections you are expressing. I’m buying the most expensive CE of the game after the “controversy”, and by no means want to wade into the more deeply rooted cesspool at it’s source right now. Just kind of confused by your last sentence, that this is not an opinion, but an experience? Person says “I don’t like the story” you hear “being gay is a sin!”...How is this self professed, and pretty huge distortion of their words not based on your own opinion of the person and judgement of their values and intent? If your personal experience is that everyone you have met who does not like the games story is a homophobic bigot, that’s one thing, but if you are projecting that belief onto everyone who does not like the story, that is kind of bigotry...the way you have expressed this so far I don’t think does anyone any good

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, hated the story, first one was much better. I've enjoyed Days Gone and Ghost a lot more.
Can I ask what about the story people disliked? I know people don't want spoilers so please either try to avoid those or warn us :)

The reason I ask is that I increasingly see hate towards games for being "woke" or having female protagonists. IMHO, that is not a reason to dislike a story. I very much like strong female leads, and it's a sorry sign of our world that people pan stories for that reason alone. If there is something lacking in the story, then I'd like to hear about that.

To be clear, I'm not accusing anyone here of the above. I only point it out because it's a consistent (and stupidly growing) criticism of games (and movies), and as I've occasionally seen, one leveled at TLOU2.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Can I ask what about the story people disliked? I know people don't want spoilers so please either try to avoid those or warn us :)

The reason I ask is that I increasingly see hate towards games for being "woke" or having female protagonists. IMHO, that is not a reason to dislike a story. I very much like strong female leads, and it's a sorry sign of our world that people pan stories for that reason alone. If there is something lacking in the story, then I'd like to hear about that.

To be clear, I'm not accusing anyone here of the above. I only point it out because it's a consistent (and stupidly growing) criticism of games (and movies), and as I've occasionally seen, one leveled at TLOU2.

For me it was the interactions of the characters. The first game didn’t have a groundbreaking story but Joel and Ellie were very human like in how they interacted (well, how I picture people acting during a zombie-like outbreak). I felt almost every interactions and the dialogue felt forced in TLOU2 to the point where I didn’t care for anyone in the story, even though I liked Ellie a lot in the first and the dlc for the first.

Some of the sections in the second game I found extremely drawn out and boring. If a game is heavily based on story and character interactions, you have to make it draw people in and I think it failed for a lot of people.

Not to mention they pretty much retconned a lot of returning characters. Think of it like Batman Begins has Batman doing everything he can to try and not kill criminals and then hypothetically, in the sequel, Batman was just John Wicking everyone. That’s how different some of the characters were for me from the first game to the second one.

It was more about the first game than the second one. Like it was said before the characters in the second game felt retconed and almost unrecognizable. Like a lot for great art, the first games ending and what lead up to it can be taken in multiple ways. Usually it was taken at face value, a heavy connection with Joel's character or a heavy connection with Ellie. With me being a father with a daughter that was a similar age as Sara during the first time I played it on the ps3 and heavily connected with Joel. The opening sequence was one of the most impactful things I have ever experienced in any entertainment media. When he he called Ellie and call her baby girl after the sequence with David I felt that. Joel character seemed like good father, that became the proverbial broken wrist watch and by the end of the game was coming back to the light. I would have done the same thing at the hospital and literally never saw the other side of the argument until reading a post after playing the remaster. The second game was from the other perspective and I couldn't relate at all. I could never see Joel as the inherent bad person he was portrayed to be. It was very much like seeing Luke in the Last Jedi with no hope, ready to kill his nephew from a vision. It was quite jarring and unpleasant as a story with characters I felt were so different from the original I could not relate.. It would have worked much better as a stand alone story in the same universe with different characters in my opinion.

For me it was the interactions of the characters. The first game didn’t have a groundbreaking story but Joel and Ellie were very human like in how they interacted (well, how I picture people acting during a zombie-like outbreak). I felt almost every interactions and the dialogue felt forced in TLOU2 to the point where I didn’t care for anyone in the story, even though I liked Ellie a lot in the first and the dlc for the first.

Some of the sections in the second game I found extremely drawn out and boring. If a game is heavily based on story and character interactions, you have to make it draw people in and I think it failed for a lot of people.

Not to mention they pretty much retconned a lot of returning characters. Think of it like Batman Begins has Batman doing everything he can to try and not kill criminals and then hypothetically, in the sequel, Batman was just John Wicking everyone. That’s how different some of the characters were for me from the first game to the second one.
It was more about the first game than the second one. Like it was said before the characters in the second game felt retconed and almost unrecognizable. Like a lot for great art, the first games ending and what lead up to it can be taken in multiple ways. Usually it was taken at face value, a heavy connection with Joel's character or a heavy connection with Ellie. With me being a father with a daughter that was a similar age as Sara during the first time I played it on the ps3 and heavily connected with Joel. The opening sequence was one of the most impactful things I have ever experienced in any entertainment media. When he he called Ellie and call her baby girl after the sequence with David I felt that. Joel character seemed like good father, that became the proverbial broken wrist watch and by the end of the game was coming back to the light. I would have done the same thing at the hospital and literally never saw the other side of the argument until reading a post after playing the remaster. The second game was from the other perspective and I couldn't relate at all. I could never see Joel as the inherent bad person he was portrayed to be. It was very much like seeing Luke in the Last Jedi with no hope, ready to kill his nephew from a vision. It was quite jarring and unpleasant as a story with characters I felt were so different from the original I could not relate.. It would have worked much better as a stand alone story in the same universe with different characters in my opinion.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. The ret-con comment and the analogies you provide are really helpful. I can understand why I heard others suggest that those who loved the characters in TLOU may be better off not playing TLOU2.

I don't think I'm going to play this one. I'll keep the characters of Joel and Ellie as they were in TLOU.

Thanks again!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. The ret-con comment and the analogies you provide are really helpful. I can understand why I heard others suggest that those who loved the characters in TLOU may be better off not playing TLOU2.

I don't think I'm going to play this one. I'll keep the characters of Joel and Ellie as they were in TLOU.

Thanks again!
You will do your gaming soul a disservice if those comments criticizing TLOU2 are the reason you opt out of experiencing the game. The game is no doubt a dark and emotional experience, which ironically is the only valid reason to avoid a playthrough in my opinion.

Went with a used copy for $28 and GS gave me a steelbook instead.

IMG-6443.jpg

bread's done
Back