[PS4, Xbone] Yakuza: Like a Dragon $35 Bestbuy.com DEAL BACK again 1/5/21

Picked mine up yesterday, It took 11 hours from when I ordered it before I got the ready for pick up notice.

I think they couldn’t find the steel book at first and let the order linger. All worth it though, it looks nice.

Thanks. I had one of the $10 certs they emailed out that expires in a few days, so I grabbed it for $25. Wish I could have the steel book shipped, since I’ll have to drive an hour to get to the nearest Best Buy, but oh well. I love the Yakuza series, so it’ll be worth it I suppose.

Thanks! I ended up getting one for the XSX. I really wanted to get it for the PS5 to continue my collection of Yakuza games on PS platforms (and for the trophies), but the next gen update won't be available for PS5 until March 2021 so didn't really have a choice unfortunately.

I guess I'll buy it again someday for the PS5 when it's dirt cheap.

For anyone considering it, this really is a great deal. The Yakuza franchise is admittedly one of my favorite series in gaming, but this was not one I expected to enjoy so much. It's one of the best turn based rpg's I've played in a long while yet it still sticks to its roots and feels like a real Yakuza game. Well designed, well written and the characters are great (though if you're a fan of the franchise stick with the Japanese dub, the us dub is not great). I'm on chapter 7 and about 35 hours in so it's definitely not a short game, though I'm also doing all the side quests and enjoying lots of minigames as well. Well worth the money here, especially with the bonus steelbook.

I was able to get a nice refund since I bought it on release. Thanks for sharing! I’ve been playing through the series all year and am at 6 right now. I can’t wait to start this one.

I was able to get a nice refund since I bought it on release. Thanks for sharing! I’ve been playing through the series all year and am at 6 right now. I can’t wait to start this one.
I think this might be a hot take, but I really really enjoyed 6. I liked it more than I liked 4 and 5. Not enough Majima but otherwise a real solid game. Enjoy!

Thanks! I ended up getting one for the XSX. I really wanted to get it for the PS5 to continue my collection of Yakuza games on PS platforms (and for the trophies), but the next gen update won't be available for PS5 until March 2021 so didn't really have a choice unfortunately.

I guess I'll buy it again someday for the PS5 when it's dirt cheap.
Thanks, I bought it for xsx but was going to swap it for the ps4 version thinking that upgrade was available now.

Wonder why the Xbox version has the upgrade already but but ps5 considering how big of a deal yakuza is for ps

Thanks, I bought it for xsx but was going to swap it for the ps4 version thinking that upgrade was available now.

Wonder why the Xbox version has the upgrade already but but ps5 considering how big of a deal yakuza is for ps
Microsoft paid them for exclusivity on the next-gen for a certain amount of time. That's the reason for the delay. I'm going to hold off on buying it for a while as a result of the fact that PS4 progress can't be moved to the PS5 when they do have the next-gen version available.

When the PS5 version is available, will it be a free upgrade if I buy the PS4 version now?
Yes. It will be, but the saves won't move over so you'll have to start all over again if you start playing the game on the PS4 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda off topic a little, but I’ve played judgement, yakuza 0, and yakuza Kiwami. Would I be missing anything or have any spoilers for what happens between kiwami and 6 if I went ahead and played this one before finishing 2 through 6? Thanks!

Is it just me or are there too many damn Yakuza games? It's almost like COD for a different audience at this point.

Kinda off topic a little, but I’ve played judgement, yakuza 0, and yakuza Kiwami. Would I be missing anything or have any spoilers for what happens between kiwami and 6 if I went ahead and played this one before finishing 2 through 6? Thanks!
Without going into detail, yes. Off the top of my head there are events from at least 3 of the games you haven't played that are referenced in some way. They range from insignificant to rather huge. Despite the marketing in the West, this is still a sequel. Still, if you're not super invested in the overall story and characters I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Completely different story. You'll miss nothing.

Without going into detail, yes. Off the top of my head there are events from at least 3 of the games you haven't played that are referenced in some way. They range from insignificant to rather huge. Despite the marketing in the West, this is still a sequel. Still, if you're not super invested in the overall story and characters I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Thanks! Yeah, I’m pretty into the overall story at this point, so I’ll have to power through the others before I pick this up. It’ll probably be $10 by the time I get there 😂

Is it just me or are there too many damn Yakuza games? It's almost like COD for a different audience at this point.
Not really.
There's 8 mainline games 0-7, 2 remakes (Kiwami 1 and 2), two offshoots (Judgement and Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise) and Yakuza Online.

Additionally, don't forget this is a franchise that has been around since the PS2, and there's a consistent narrative throughout the entire franchise, save for the offshoots.

It's an entirely different thing than Call of Duty.

Is there actually any difference between last gen and current gen upgrade? Aside from frame rate and resolution? Only thing I don’t like so far is having to save manually before huge fights cuz if you die you pay or when u return to menu u start from your last save. There was this one time I had to leave and the fights just kept going on and there was no save option

I think this might be a hot take, but I really really enjoyed 6. I liked it more than I liked 4 and 5. Not enough Majima but otherwise a real solid game. Enjoy!
6 was easily my favorite since the first, and I only liked the first so much because of the story. My issue with the series has always been that the games always felt like they were a generation behind in terms of presentation (load times, slow menus, etc.) but 6 felt like an actual, modern game. Beyond that, a lot of the tedium of the older games was greatly reduced and most of the minigames were actually fun. Story was solid too.

Oddly when I ordered mine yesterday, I was able to change the steelbook to ship but it said there would be a delay before they sent that to verify I got the game first.  My guess is they've had problems with people doing shipping and the items coming from two locations and then the customer cancels the game purchase but the steelbook still ships.

Whatever the case later in the day I got my shipped notification and both items shipped and have the same tracking number.  Supposedly it'll be here today.  I've been really surprised lately with how fast BB shipping has been for me.  Much more predictable than Amazon.

So... Like A Dragon, is it not at all compatible with PS5 right now?  Or is it there's an upgrade coming?  It's going on a shelf for now anyway, but my plan is to get a ps5 to finally dig through my small but very specific to my interest ps4 library.

6 was easily my favorite since the first, and I only liked the first so much because of the story. My issue with the series has always been that the games always felt like they were a generation behind in terms of presentation (load times, slow menus, etc.) but 6 felt like an actual, modern game. Beyond that, a lot of the tedium of the older games was greatly reduced and most of the minigames were actually fun. Story was solid too.
I felt largely the same. 4 and 5 gave me burnout. The "new" characters to focus on and care about were fine but really didn't do a whole lot for me, the games were enourmous beyond enourmous but in a way that felt absolutely unnecessary and the stories felt subpar compared to previous entries, imo. They were just spread too far with the important content taking a back seat. Not to say I didn't like the characters, I did but it still felt... Different that 0-3. 6 really reigned it in, in terms of story and characters and felt "back to the core" I guess of what Yakuza was at least for me. Plus the updated and new Dragon Engine felt, like you said, fresh and truly modern. The minigames, the locale and characters really just brought it home for me. I really loved it. I will say I liked Kiwami 2 better just as it really took that tech to the next level and went back to my favorite story in the series, but 6 is definitely up there for me. 6 is also one of the only ones I've actually 100%ed

After getting through the remastered ps3 trilogy, it was incredibly refreshing to get to the much more modern 6. I’m loving it so far. I’m glad I got into the series after some cheap purchases last Black Friday.

I felt largely the same. 4 and 5 gave me burnout. The "new" characters to focus on and care about were fine but really didn't do a whole lot for me, the games were enourmous beyond enourmous but in a way that felt absolutely unnecessary and the stories felt subpar compared to previous entries, imo. They were just spread too far with the important content taking a back seat. Not to say I didn't like the characters, I did but it still felt... Different that 0-3. 6 really reigned it in, in terms of story and characters and felt "back to the core" I guess of what Yakuza was at least for me. Plus the updated and new Dragon Engine felt, like you said, fresh and truly modern. The minigames, the locale and characters really just brought it home for me. I really loved it. I will say I liked Kiwami 2 better just as it really took that tech to the next level and went back to my favorite story in the series, but 6 is definitely up there for me. 6 is also one of the only ones I've actually 100%ed
I still need to play Zero, Kiwami 1 and 2... I've heard a lot of good things things I think they all use the same engine as 6.

As for characters, I agree... it's weird, it's like they were all likable but not to the same level as Kiryu or Majima. After those two, I have my secondary faves like Haruka, Date and Taiga... and then everyone else is like "ok, they're fine". All those charters def did not help 4 or 5 though.

I still need to play Zero, Kiwami 1 and 2... I've heard a lot of good things things I think they all use the same engine as 6.

As for characters, I agree... it's weird, it's like they were all likable but not to the same level as Kiryu or Majima. After those two, I have my secondary faves like Haruka, Date and Taiga... and then everyone else is like "ok, they're fine". All those charters def did not help 4 or 5 though.
So 0 and Kiwami 1 are actually still on the... Older Yakuza engine. Upgraded and enhanced but it's definitely, very clearly still their older engine. I'd say 0 is still 110% well worth playing despite this as the story and gameplay is absolutely incredible and it's absolutely one of the highest points of the series. Kiwami 1 was... Well it's a bit hard to explain. It felt really great as a remake of the original game (if you played it from way back when). From a story standpoint it's really important to the story as well as it's the introduction of Haruka and how everything in the mainline series comes together. But as a direct sequel to 0 it can definitely feel like more of an expansion than another game. That might not be necessarily a bad thing but if you binge right from 0 into K1 you definitely might feel some fatigue. Kiwami 2 is in Yakuza 6's Dragon engine and really makes amazing use of it for what is arguably the best game in the franchise.

My personal order of Yakuza games is probably: K2, 0, K1 OR 6 (prefer 6 gameplay but the story of 1 is damn great), 3, 4, 5.

If you've played 3-6 I couldn't recommend going back and playing 0-K2. They're definitely the best the franchise has to offer and all 3 are some of my favorite games of all time.

Not really. 
There's 8 mainline games 0-7, 2 remakes (Kiwami 1 and 2), two offshoots (Judgement and Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise) and Yakuza Online. 

Additionally, don't forget this is a franchise that has been around since the PS2, and there's a consistent narrative throughout the entire franchise, save for the offshoots.
It's an entirely different thing than Call of Duty. 

But you could argue that COD is full of different settings and stories, too. Are the Yakuza games all in the same open world city?

But you could argue that COD is full of different settings and stories, too. Are the Yakuza games all in the same open world city?
Kamurocho appears in every Yakuza game and Judgment, but it isn't always the main city (for example, most of Like a Dragon is spent in Yokohama, and 5 has five cities and 5 characters) and it is detailed to varying degrees and has different substories, shops, and activities. For example, Yakuza 4 is the only game in the series to have a moderately detailed rooftop and underground system.

What’s the difference between Xbox version and series x?
Series X plays MUCH better. Like I'm running it on a 1080p tv but the game is smooth. On the One, it was often times choppy.

Also load times, load times are infinitely better on the Series X. For this game makes a world of difference because there are a lot of them. I can't really tell graphical enhancements, but framerate and load times are all worth it.

Like A Dragon is amazing!     i am playing on xbox series x, 4k normal mode, (aka 1440p/60) its super sharp and buttery smooth!    I was hesitant to play Yakuza RPG, though i prefer regular Yakuza action games; this RPG is superb!       lets you really sink in and enjoy the Yakuza world; Yokohama is a wonderfully fresh new area to play in and explore. 

How is Judgment? I only played the original Yakuza on the PS2.
I think it’s great! It’s what got me into the yakuza games, actually. I’d say it was probably a little less “seedy” than the yakuza entries, but it was definitely interesting seeing the city from the perspective of someone other than a mafia member.

Here's hoping we get a Yakuza Ishin localization from Sega go support them and buy Yaz: Like a Dragon! We seriously need more Samurai games released!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1hLnsxCKo&ab_channel=DidYouKnowGaming%3F

Series X plays MUCH better. Like I'm running it on a 1080p tv but the game is smooth. On the One, it was often times choppy.

Also load times, load times are infinitely better on the Series X. For this game makes a world of difference because there are a lot of them. I can't really tell graphical enhancements, but framerate and load times are all worth it.
The load times killed my ability to play it on the One. It was eating up so much time and I thought it froze a few times. I ended up selling it off and getting it for PC which was much smoother. The game really benefits from an SSD.

I've really had no issues running the game on my One X. Load times are super quick, no freezing or stuttering really (maybe once or twice) and the graphics look great. I'm honestly hard pressed to believe it can run that much better on the Series S/X.

Oh ok then I guess I’ll be fine finishing the game on ps5. If the graphics were actually noticeably better then I’d wait for the upgrade

Considering the awesome reception Digimon Cyber Sleuth got in the west (where it even caused a ps4 rerelease to happen in Japan) I'm hoping while it doesn't have the nostalgia factor, that Yakuza gets the same love it deserves too!

Ok, stupid question. I want to grab this and stash it for PS5. I'm looking at the Best Buy page, but it doesn't say anything about the steelbook. Thoughts?

Ok, stupid question. I want to grab this and stash it for PS5. I'm looking at the Best Buy page, but it doesn't say anything about the steelbook. Thoughts?
Add it to you cart to see the steelbook. The desktop site does show it. You are probably not seeing it because you ate using the mobile app.

bread's done
Back