PSA Best Buy now giving refunds for Cyberpunk 2077

Smithers123

CAGiversary!
Best Buy announced on Friday that it will refund purchases of Cyberpunk 2077 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One — even if the game has been opened — joining Sony, Microsoft, and the game’s publisher itself in giving disappointed fans their money bank.

Best Buy says it will accept returns and issue refunds for the game through Dec. 21, 2020. It’s a remarkable departure from the big-box retailer’s standard refund policy, which does not accept opened games.

This exception covers Cyberpunk 2077 and its Collector’s Edition on PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One versions of Cyberpunk 2077, its collector’s edition, and the digital download code sold in stores.

Customers can bring the game to their local Best Buy for a refund, or return it by mail.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/18/22189309/best-buy-cyberpunk-2077-refunds-how-where-xbox-one-ps4

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m playing it and found game breaking bugs in the first and third missions of act 1. There’s a shit-ton of auto save slots. I just reloaded the previous auto save and each time it worked fine although I did have to refight a boss. No achievements are tied to difficulty so no big deal there. I just set it to easy and Rambo’d the thing. Today they released a patch (1.05) that specifically fixes both of those issues along with many others.

I’m enjoying the game so far so I’ll keep playing it but you can definitely tell they were forced to put it out prior to Christmas even though it need a few more months of work. I won’t be returning it since they’re working on patching it quickly.

Edit: to be clear, I think it’s a good game that will be fantastic eventually but if you don’t already own it, I would wait. They’re supposed to put out a huge patch in January and another a month or two later that i assume adds content(?) although there’s already a lot of content in the game.

I'd like to return mine part of the B2G1 but I'm sure the system won't pro-rate it so probably not possible.
That's the dilemma I'm in. I have an order with two copies (both sealed) and The Pathless. I know the moment you return any game from the bundle, it'll break the bundle and everything goes to regular pricing. I wonder if Best Buy would let you a no receipt return. I don't even know if you could exchange the game under the buy 2 get 1 promo since it was limited initially. I'm waiting to see what other people's experience is before I head to the store.

I’m playing on my One X and honestly it runs well enough. I think it’s really only an issue for base models.

Besides performance and occasional glitches/crashes, my main takeaway is that it is not a great game by any means. Definitely good and has some interesting mechanics but even if it was running flawlessly I would still say it’s a bit of a disappointment

I hope everyone learn their lesson NOT 2 preorder game becus u never know if it will be good or if it will have glitch and be bad even if it is hype.
I disagree with this. Not only is the situation with Cyberpunk very unusual, but often preordering games gets you discounts or rewards credits from places like Best Buy. I always preorder my stuff if there's any kind of bonus associated with doing so, and it's easy enough to keep the game sealed (or not go to the store to pick it up) until after I've seen the community response for it.

It's only dumb if you preorder at full MSRP with no bonus for doing so and open the game immediately without checking reviews or fan response.

I'm so glad I stuck to my guns and decided to wait to play this until AFTER I upgrade to a next gen console. Definitely going to be a priority by the time Mass Effect's remaster comes out.

I must be one of the few people that is actually enjoying it... yes there are glitches but it's pretty fun.

I am playing on ps5

I hope everyone learn their lesson NOT 2 preorder game becus u never know if it will be good or if it will have glitch and be bad even if it is hype. I buyed Cyberpunk but I didnt even open my copy so i return it 2 the gamestop at montgomery village this morning first thing when i wake up. Trust me I learn my lesson with Enter the matrix and never make that mistake again.
I preordered because I had GCU back then, and it had a $10 reward for preordering and a Steelbook. Turns out, the preorder bonus got doubled on top of all that so it was $27.99 all told. I preordered when I had a XB1X, but now am playing it on an XBSX. So what lesson am I supposed to be learning about preordering being bad?

Best Buy has long rewarded preorders making it worth our while, but yes every so often a game comes out that isn't worth the hype. And they are making good on this one with returns, so there really isn't a penalty here anyways so it isn't a good example of why we shouldn't preorder.

I’m playing on my One X and honestly it runs well enough. I think it’s really only an issue for base models.

Besides performance and occasional glitches/crashes, my main takeaway is that it is not a great game by any means. Definitely good and has some interesting mechanics but even if it was running flawlessly I would still say it’s a bit of a disappointment
Enjoying it on Xbox one s, am doing all the side missions at start of act 3 before you choose to move on (and lose access to some side missions I guess).

How much have you played?

I must be one of the few people that is actually enjoying it... yes there are glitches but it's pretty fun.

I am playing on ps5
I am with you but I've come to a screeching stop on progression. I am conflicted if I should continue or wait for a more polished game. I did send an email to CDProjekt asking if they would exchange the ps4 version for PC:) I just received a general auto response that didn't acknowledge my request......

I am debating on what to do.  I preorder it with brithday coupon and end of gcu coupon end of last year and the grand total is $165 for the collector edition.  I also get the $20 reward point  I am consider selling the collector edition statue for 130 ish and keep the rest but it is harder than I imagain.

I am debating on what to do. I preorder it with brithday coupon and end of gcu coupon end of last year and the grand total is $165 for the collector edition. I also get the $20 reward point I am consider selling the collector edition statue for 130 ish and keep the rest but it is harder than I imagain.
wow you got a pretty good deal........although it will be interesting to see what happens to the stock and price of these

I originally order it for my friend but he change his mind.  I am think ing it should be "easy" to sell it for $250 and i pocket the difference but it sppear to be harder.  I didn;t open my collector edition yet so I don't HAVE to return it by monday.

I hope everyone learn their lesson NOT 2 preorder game becus u never know if it will be good or if it will have glitch and be bad even if it is hype. I buyed Cyberpunk but I didnt even open my copy so i return it 2 the gamestop at montgomery village this morning first thing when i wake up. Trust me I learn my lesson with Enter the matrix and never make that mistake again.
You should learn a grammar lesson while you’re at it

I disagree with this. Not only is the situation with Cyberpunk very unusual, but often preordering games gets you discounts or rewards credits from places like Best Buy. I always preorder my stuff if there's any kind of bonus associated with doing so, and it's easy enough to keep the game sealed (or not go to the store to pick it up) until after I've seen the community response for it.

It's only dumb if you preorder at full MSRP with no bonus for doing so and open the game immediately without checking reviews or fan response.
Furthermore, depending on the game and collectible bonus it comes with, there's times when a stupid DLC code or physical item can literally sell for upwards of $50. I've paid for many games after return-window discounts, pre-order bonuses, or other promos quite often. On some retailer sites, they have automated price adjustment systems that will pick up price mistakes also and can lead to ridiculously good deals on a brand new game when it happens, just because it was pre-ordered. There's never a downside to pre-ordering with the option to cancel any time.

Also, for anyone like me that was wondering what would stop us from returning a digital purchase and keeping the code redeemed, well they removed those from sale on the site. Guess that opportunity was missed!

This whole thing is blown way out of proportion. People acting like games always come completely clean and polished from day 1 all the time when so many have day 1 or week 1 patches. GASP! CDPR is a game company trying to cash in on the holidays to make money. How dare they! 

all these big games like skyrim, witcher 3 and so on required day 1 patches. Witcher 3 was one super buggy too in case everyone forgot. 

Got mine for free in the B2G1, and managed to PM the other two games I brought down to 39.99 each, plus the Steelbook and $10 rewards. So I definitely can't complain, I'll just sit on it till the patches start to roll in.

Got mine 20% off with GCU (my final GCU order from end of 2019) and was lucky to get $20 in pre-order points. So game was basically $30 + steelbook. I think I'll hold onto it and wait for more patches before playing. Worst case I'll use the free upgrade to play it on my (eventual) next-gen console.

This needs to be heard! Many people think this will all be fixed, you can't patch what's wrong with cyberpunk....its not the glitches, or the graphics, it's just NOT a great game by any means

This needs to be heard! Many people think this will all be fixed, you can't patch what's wrong with cyberpunk....its not the glitches, or the graphics, it's just NOT a great game by any means
How much of Cyberpunk have you played? Its an amazing game and theres alot of details and awesome things that just nobody cares about right now because #rage is more fun.

It is a bit pointless how theres all these (BEAUTIFUL btw) NPCs in the game you can interact with "x" but they just say some random bullshit and dont even move their lips and walk just right thru you ... But if you look at other open world games, you cant really interact with their NPCs either right? The side missions in Cyberpunk are better than in Witcher 3. I still have like a 100 to do so I can only talk for those I have done. Like one side mission had a whole concert (not just one song) play on a giant videoscreen in a mansion with keanu reeves singing. In another side mission it was YOU on stage. All this stuff in Cyberpunk people dont even talk about it because either they gave up after 3 hours of play or they never played it at all

About 10 hrs and some change, I'm playing it on ps5, and I'm just not excited to sit down and play it, the world feels off, kinda out of scale, doors are too big, sidewalks are too wide, like you say people don't move their lips, let alone their heads,they some random BS. Stand in the same place for hrs, until you look the other way and they're gone. People can be sitting at a table, you can be jumping on their heads and they don't notice. The a.i. feels early xbox 360 Era. Fallout and skyrim did everything this game does better, except genitals and driving......

About 10 hrs and some change, I'm playing it on ps5, and I'm just not excited to sit down and play it, the world feels off, kinda out of scale, doors are too big, sidewalks are too wide, like you say people don't move their lips, let alone their heads,they some random BS. Stand in the same place for hrs, until you look the other way and they're gone. People can be sitting at a table, you can be jumping on their heads and they don't notice. The a.i. feels early xbox 360 Era. Fallout and skyrim did everything this game does better, except genitals and driving......
Have you come to johnny yet? Thats where for me the game got good. I would suggest just to try some side missions or progress a little more. Theres also money/xp glitches if you are into that.

Ive been thinking about the people in the gameworld I am not even sure what Cyberpunk devs could do to improve it? I mean in RDR2 at least you could lasso a female and she would show some reaction but it wasnt that rewarding either :D

I'm guessing any attempts at making the NPCs more lively would result ina total 200gb+ install size. It was hyped as "the most lived in game city ever" that might have been true in 2005.....but cyberpunk is so in line with 2020, another major letdown to close out the year of letdowns

Have you come to johnny yet? Thats where for me the game got good. I would suggest just to try some side missions or progress a little more. Theres also money/xp glitches if you are into that.

Ive been thinking about the people in the gameworld I am not even sure what Cyberpunk devs could do to improve it? I mean in RDR2 at least you could lasso a female and she would show some reaction but it wasnt that rewarding either :D
You seem super invested in people liking the game so I'm genuinely curious.. Why? To what end?

You seem super invested in people liking the game so I'm genuinely curious.. Why? To what end?
I get paid $45 an hour to promote Cyberpunk on CAG! :D

Nah, I just like the game and like with some other topics I love to disagree with mainstream opinion because its usually wrong. I also liked NMS very much on day1 and think all the patches/additions didnt necessarily make it better. So in a way the outrage NMS got did not really help improve its core mechanics. It just made them add more things the "internet" demanded. Barely anyone playing it now all their demands got fulfilled right?

So in a way I am scared the same will happen to Cyberpunk. They worked 6+ years for this how is this internet outrage going to "fix" what doesnt need to be fixed?

Does anyone of those outraged people even have something particular they want from the game? Or its just joining in on the "FIX IT" propaganda? Fix what?! The game does have bugs YES. But see Watch Dogs Legion it wouldnt even SAVE and people kept losing progress and they advertised an online mode for dec3. How is Cyberpunk worse?

i CAN understand those who followed the Cyberpunk progress over the last years (which i didnt) and who are mad features that were promised didnt get into the game.

Cyberpunk 2077 budget: $330 million dollars

They're going to end up with 0 sales.
At the begin it seemed like maybe 10% would get a refund. As its now especially with PSN completely removing it and refunds even for anyone who bought it physical? It still wont even be close to 100% refunding. Maybe 40%. So still alot of money for them. I have friends who preorder games and never even touch them until months later. People especially in gaming arent particulary smart with money (except here on CAG of course!!)

I get paid $45 an hour to promote Cyberpunk on CAG! :D

Nah, I just like the game and like with some other topics I love to disagree with mainstream opinion because its usually wrong. I also liked NMS very much on day1 and think all the patches/additions didnt necessarily make it better. So in a way the outrage NMS got did not really help improve its core mechanics. It just made them add more things the "internet" demanded. Barely anyone playing it now all their demands got fulfilled right?

So in a way I am scared the same will happen to Cyberpunk. They worked 6+ years for this how is this internet outrage going to "fix" what doesnt need to be fixed?

Does anyone of those outraged people even have something particular they want from the game? Or its just joining in on the "FIX IT" propaganda? Fix what?! The game does have bugs YES. But see Watch Dogs Legion it wouldnt even SAVE and people kept losing progress and they advertised an online mode for dec3. How is Cyberpunk worse?

i CAN understand those who followed the Cyberpunk progress over the last years (which i didnt) and who are mad features that were promised didnt get into the game.
It isn't a good game period. People seriously need to stop defending Cyberpunk. You want a AAA open world game? Go play GTA V or Red Dead 2

It isn't a good game period. People seriously need to stop defending Cyberpunk. You want a AAA open world game? Go play GTA V or Red Dead 2
What is a good game period? Granted, there aren't many female protagonists in games these days, and they tend to keep personal hygiene matters to themselves... but really, you shouldn't be grading these kind of things anyway - please be more respectful.

i enjoyed gta5 + rdr2 very much too. I do think cyberpunk is on the same level. More ways to interact with the gameworld would be great tho. And if anyone gets cyber for the cars and driving its worse than gta5. But the city and the npcs are much better.

At the begin it seemed like maybe 10% would get a refund. As its now especially with PSN completely removing it and refunds even for anyone who bought it physical? It still wont even be close to 100% refunding. Maybe 40%. So still alot of money for them. I have friends who preorder games and never even touch them until months later. People especially in gaming arent particulary smart with money (except here on CAG of course!!)
You may have taken my post too literally.

Had pretty insane luck today. Purchased Cyberpunk, Valhalla, and Fenyx Rising during their B2G1 sale a week back. Ended up liking Fenyx and decided to just return Cyberpunk and Valhalla. Turns out those two games were the $60 games and Fenyx Rising was the "free" game. Not sure if the Customer Service rep just didn't care or didn't know how but he returned both the games for a full $120 or whatever refund.

Ended up getting Fenyx Rising for free! He even mentioned that he wasn't sure why it didn't ring out correctly but just sent me on my way. Thought it might be worth mentioning since a lot of you also bought Cyberpunk with that B2G1 free sale.

Had pretty insane luck today. Purchased Cyberpunk, Valhalla, and Fenyx Rising during their B2G1 sale a week back. Ended up liking Fenyx and decided to just return Cyberpunk and Valhalla. Turns out those two games were the $60 games and Fenyx Rising was the "free" game. Not sure if the Customer Service rep just didn't care or didn't know how but he returned both the games for a full $120 or whatever refund.

Ended up getting Fenyx Rising for free! He even mentioned that he wasn't sure why it didn't ring out correctly but just sent me on my way. Thought it might be worth mentioning since a lot of you also bought Cyberpunk with that B2G1 free sale.
Someone else mentioned that if you return any 1 of your B2G1F games, they refund you for the paid game and then charge you for the free game. Not sure if that's true but it could be that the CS rep screwed up in your case and you actually got B1G1F.

The question is. If you return cyberpunk now. Do you get to keep preorder perks of steel book and the 10$ preorder bonus.
Only reason I'm keeping mine, the bugs are atrocious worse I have seen in a while, but I preordered with GCU a year ago for 47, then got two $10, so I can stomach it for $27 (CAG math-miss those days). I can trade it when I'm done. Tip for everyone playing SAVE often, I got stuck a few times because of bugs and luckily was able to reload certain checkpoints. Really surprised how bad the bugs are, feels like a pre-beta.

How exactly can you return a digital code? I'm guessing it only applies to cards without the code scratched?
Basically you cant. Unless you are really lucky with the seller of the code. Should always buy cheap money codes instead instead of buying codes for games on day1.

Good job jumping on the hype train and then whining when it wasn't the best game ever, you entitled brats.

Good job jumping on the hype train and then whining when it wasn't the best game ever, you entitled brats.
Really dog, tryin to cause distress on a sunday? Cmon man. Plenty of proof out there if you have played the game to know they shipped last gen console versions way to soon. Do your homework then come back.

Im playing the PC version (GOG.com) and frigin love it. Still some bugs but nothing close to how bad PS4 played. To be fair to CDproject, was an uphill fight. Current gen console quality content on last gen console. They should of delayed the release though for consoles. The game was just not ready. I salute them for recognizing the problem and owning up to it. Looking forward to PS5 edition!

Im playing the PC version (GOG.com) and frigin love it. Still some bugs but nothing close to how bad PS4 played. To be fair to CDproject, was an uphill fight. Current gen console quality content on last gen console. They should of delayed the release though for consoles. The game was just not ready. I salute them for recognizing the problem and owning up to it. Looking forward to PS5 edition!
Playing on ps5 and enjoying it...

bread's done
Back