Marvel's Avengers PS4/Xbone $9.97 Costco YMMV

boneless

CAGiversary!
Feedback
88 (100%)
While shopping I saw this on clearance. I did see the Xbox version listed  as $19.97 on some of the cardboard placeholders and found one for $9.97 but I'm pretty sure they are all $9.97. I got a PS4 copy for myself and an Xbone for someone else. Gamestop TIV is $17 so go crazy.

PS4       1473396

Xbone   1473416

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even know Costco sold video games in their stores anymore. Whenever I go it's usually for food. I'll have to check to see if my local one carries games. I remember their movies were all overpriced last time I checked which was years ago.

If you can find it, Super Mario 3D All Stars for Switch is the same price. Would have to be a sealed return at this point, though.

I had no idea Costco still sold games, either, and YMMV since I think some don't.  Videogames are on the center floor, and for Costco, center floor items are what rotate out, meaning they are not permanent staples at stores.  I've stopped by other Costco's to find out that an item carried at one store is not at all stocked at the other.  Not sure how/what drives those decisions, but that does seem to be the case.

This is a pretty good price for an incomplete game.  That said, I can see Square Enix releasing a complete version during the PS5 era given Crystal Dynamics is still working out more DLC content.

If your store doesn’t have a center floor display for games, try looking near the computers. One of my local stores used fo keep games near computer software like Turbo Tax. Haven’t looked in a while though.

I found this game to be insanely boring ... it’s literally walking down corridors and fighting the same three enemies over and over. The environments all look nice ... but it’s the same thing over and over. I think games like Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Ark have spoiled me with their level of freedom. This game is just so god damn boring in comparison. Glad I only paid $20 ... but it was just dreadfully boring.

Thanks OP! Was able to pick up a PS4 and Xbox One copy for my brother at the $9.97 price
$10 was my price point after playing the beta and I'm sure I'll enjoy it enough for the campaign

I used the website chat feature to confirm my local Costco had inventory - just give them the item number.

I couldn’t find the display and the guys at the computer section said they don’t sell games. So I asked a cashier if they could look up the number and they pointed me to the staff that retrieves items from the back. They were able to grab it for me and gave it to the cashier to checkout. Good luck!

I used the website chat feature to confirm my local Costco had inventory - just give them the item number.

I couldn’t find the display and the guys at the computer section said they don’t sell games. So I asked a cashier if they could look up the number and they pointed me to the staff that retrieves items from the back. They were able to grab it for me and gave it to the cashier to checkout. Good luck!
I also didn't see it on floor and went to the desk near the pick item cage. They pulled up the skus, confirmed stock, and was able to grab 1 of each at the normal checkout (and then had to return to the cage to get the items).

Interesting, I saw it by the books or toys last month for 19.97 but held off to get it cheap digitally. Great price at 9.97.

Not a great game, but good for that price. 

I'm wondering if it will get the promised Series X enhancement and new content since it flopped so badly. 

They added Kate Bishop Hawkeye last month, I haven't seen other news since.

Do you need a membership to get it for this price since there is 1 not far away from me?
Rant incoming.

You can't even walk around the warehouse without a membership. There have been times where I'll walk in the exit to go to the tire center, and I will get screamed at by the employees checking receipts telling me to show my membership card. They are REALLY anal about that.

Cashiers will also give you a lecture if you are with somebody when you're checking out to pay, you show your Costco card, and the person you're with pays. The cashier expects that the other person be added to your account (you can add one person from your household to your account). But that's how they make their money, is with the stupid membership.

Honestly I wouldn't get a membership, since I can generally get gas and most items for a similar price elsewhere. Bulk food is about thr same price at Smart Food Service/Cash and Carry. When there are these clearance deals they are usually extremely YMMV and not generally worth it.

Rant incoming.

You can't even walk around the warehouse without a membership. There have been times where I'll walk in the exit to go to the tire center, and I will get screamed at by the employees checking receipts telling me to show my membership card. They are REALLY anal about that.

Cashiers will also give you a lecture if you are with somebody when you're checking out to pay, you show your Costco card, and the person you're with pays. The cashier expects that the other person be added to your account (you can add one person from your household to your account). But that's how they make their money, is with the stupid membership.

Honestly I wouldn't get a membership, since I can generally get gas and most items for a similar price elsewhere. Bulk food is about thr same price at Smart Food Service/Cash and Carry. When there are these clearance deals they are usually extremely YMMV and not generally worth it.
well only the person that is a member is supposed to be paying as they are the actual member

Rant incoming.

They have some great deals and they take really good care of their employees. That's why their employees are so serious about the company rules. Turns out when you don't pay employees the minimum you can get away with they actually care about their job and doing what they can about making sure customers follow the rules to make sure the company does well.

Besides a membership is only $60 for a year, you will definitely save that if you shop there regularly for household necessities. I wish we had one close to us, I'd prefer to shop there than BJs. You can order online without a membership, I just did this week for some shirts. You have a 5% surcharge added to your order.

My costco is only 10mins so it's at least a weekly trip for me. I was actually shocked to find the deal because the clearance deals are usually so good that it sells out within the first or second day. The $0.97 ending means clearance and probably not a re-stock so it's usually a price to move it fast. I'm genuinely surprised nobody posted it before me. Hooray for me  :D/

Rant incoming.
Have to disagree. I've been a Costco member for years, and love the high quality, curated products the store offers year-round. The Kirkland products are phenomenal, and prices for seasonal products are almost always below other retailers. Add the Costco rebates and unique Citi card which gives additional cash back, and the membership cost is basically paid for and then some (4% back on gas).

I will also say I want Costco to enforce the membership, so that non-members cannot shop there. Those membership fees not only cover certain overhead, but also serve to provide the company ways to offset othet costs that it uses to pass on savings.

It's also just not fair to members and takes away from them.

Have to disagree. I've been a Costco member for years, and love the high quality, curated products the store offers year-round. The Kirkland products are phenomenal, and prices for seasonal products are almost always below other retailers. Add the Costco rebates and unique Citi card which gives additional cash back, and the membership cost is basically paid for and then some (4% back on gas).

I will also say I want Costco to enforce the membership, so that non-members cannot shop there. Those membership fees not only cover certain overhead, but also serve to provide the company ways to offset othet costs that it uses to pass on savings.

It's also just not fair to members and takes away from them.
Those membership fees are nearly the only way Costco makes money. Their markup on goods is 0%-15% think about that. Crazy stuff. Everything they sell but the membership is low margin to the business. Also Costco eats the cost of the food court and the rotisserie chicken (its yummy and cheap). They really do pass along savings back to members. FYI those $60 membership fees are a 100% margin and their business model is very healthy. Personally think it’s like theft to do a membership pass back. Hell they let you have two ids. That’s pretty generous. It can be given to anyone.

If anyone is looking for Avengers I can take a look at the Costco's around me. Prob be $16 for gas, packaging, shipping and insurance.  Tell me which version you're looking for. I can go tomorrow so tell me by 9AM PST.

9.99 is my target price for this game, but no costco membership. Makes the game full price with the membership lol

They have some great deals and they take really good care of their employees. That's why their employees are so serious about the company rules. Turns out when you don't pay employees the minimum you can get away with they actually care about their job and doing what they can about making sure customers follow the rules to make sure the company does well.

Besides a membership is only $60 for a year, you will definitely save that if you shop there regularly for household necessities. I wish we had one close to us, I'd prefer to shop there than BJs. You can order online without a membership, I just did this week for some shirts. You have a 5% surcharge added to your order.
I feel the same way you do about Sam's Club and Costco. I wish there was a Sam's Club near me as they consistently had clearance deals on video games, and I preferred their selection.

Where I originally was from, they had one for 1-2 years and then shuttered it.

On my PS4 Pro the framerate is so bad I traded it in to Gamestop yesterday.   I don't understand how how they haven't addressed this game's issues in 4 months, but just my personal opinion.  

On my PS4 Pro the framerate is so bad I traded it in to Gamestop yesterday. I don't understand how how they haven't addressed this game's issues in 4 months, but just my personal opinion.
Sounds like the game fell way short of their sales projections, so they probably figure there's no incentive to keep pumping more money into it.

Sounds like the game fell way short of their sales projections, so they probably figure there's no incentive to keep pumping more money into it.
Yeah, I'm getting the vibe we will never see Clint Hawkeye or the other planned character additions (Spider-man on PS, I think Captain Marvel was also among them, etc.). And I'm also wondering if they ever do the next gen upgrades they announced. This game was made to extend off later microtransactions and DLC, but they are going to have to make the online postgame way more interesting before those even become viable. Fun playthrough for the Story mode though.

On my PS4 Pro the framerate is so bad I traded it in to Gamestop yesterday. I don't understand how how they haven't addressed this game's issues in 4 months, but just my personal opinion.
Did you install the latest version (I think 1.22)? I picked it up, and let it download/install the latest update. I had to do a hard reboot after that because the framerate was messed up, but after that, it plays fine. There was another bug during the mission globe, where I had to close out and restart because the missions wouldn't show. I'm on a base PS4 and it's running well. No more framerate issues.

The single-player is impressive and fun. It's nowhere as bad as people have said, though I know it had a lot of problems at the get-go. I don't ever pick up games that require the internet, but figured I'd make one exception here. Like it. Kamala Kahn is super cool.

It’s a lot better than the internet made it out to be, in my opinion. I’ve enjoyed it quite a bit so far. I got it for $15 and don’t regret it in the least.

Did you install the latest version (I think 1.22)? I picked it up, and let it download/install the latest update. I had to do a hard reboot after that because the framerate was messed up, but after that, it plays fine. There was another bug during the mission globe, where I had to close out and restart because the missions wouldn't show. I'm on a base PS4 and it's running well. No more framerate issues.

The single-player is impressive and fun. It's nowhere as bad as people have said, though I know it had a lot of problems at the get-go. I don't ever pick up games that require the internet, but figured I'd make one exception here. Like it. Kamala Kahn is super cool.
Yeah, I bought it at launch and traded it in because of the framerate issues. Really cool game concepts actually to get into if you have the time to invest in practice mode and all the currencies to unlock outfits/perks.

Bought it again in December and had the latest update, but whenever I got into battles (which get pretty hectic) the framerate just couldn't keep up.

In story mode things seem to run a bit better, but going into missions through Initiative is a disaster, especially with all the explosions and fighting...maybe the experience was meant for the next gen systems.

Yeah, I bought it at launch and traded it in because of the framerate issues. Really cool game concepts actually to get into if you have the time to invest in practice mode and all the currencies to unlock outfits/perks.

Bought it again in December and had the latest update, but whenever I got into battles (which get pretty hectic) the framerate just couldn't keep up.

In story mode things seem to run a bit better, but going into missions through Initiative is a disaster, especially with all the explosions and fighting...maybe the experience was meant for the next gen systems.
I intend to only play the solo campaign, but yeah, I can see the game doing well with a next gen upgrade. That all said, I'm not sure it's done well enough to get there. It's a good game, but was another one hurt by a publisher that forced it out the door a year too soon.

I'd buy it again if Square released a complete version all on disc for PS5 down the road.

Anyone live near the Costco in Avon, Ohio and planning a trip there soon?

(Thanks for the heads up OP)

No cards at my Costco. They had the games tucked away in an office to free up floor space- just had to ask for em. Got ps4/xb1 avengers and ps4 COD Cold War for $10 each. Thanks CAGS!

Grabbed a copy of Avengers for myself and a friend for the PS4 at the Madison, WI Costco.  One copy left there.  Only video game they had. 

bread's done
Back