* * * * * 3 votes

Best Buy GCU to be discontinued 3-1-2021

#91 scottman   The ORIGINAL smiley blank face. CAGiversary!   3710 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

scottman

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:11 PM

Well to be fair, we haven't seen what bestbuy will do after ALL the GCU accounts are gone in march yet.  Not holding my breath, but that frees them up a bit in pricing freedom.  If they do nothing, amazon will just take further share in this area from them.

#92 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4257 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:14 PM

Now Walmart beats them with 15% off most new releases.

#93 kaydigi   BK All Day CAGiversary!   1582 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:06 AM

Now Walmart beats them with 15% off most new releases.

Do they discount PS5 titles on release like they do last gen games?

#94 FinderKeeper   Eternal n00b CAGiversary!   402 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

FinderKeeper

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:12 AM

Yup, like the others mentioned I remember the coupons and the @Gamer magazine. Good times. There are still deals sometimes (they'll clearance some games) and they're still reasonably competitive for Black Friday etc., but nothing like it was. It was a good run.  :beer:

#95 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4257 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:56 AM

Do they discount PS5 titles on release like they do last gen games?

So far with first party they do not, 3rd party they do.

#96 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   809 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:54 AM

I'm glad they are finally ending the program.  It's unfair for everybody else who's subscription expired a long time ago.

Pointless. Senseless. Moronic. 

How do you manage to get through the day?

#97 bappt   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   983 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:55 AM

I would have to wonder how many people are left after that one Call of Duty charity snafu where they gave out four years for the price of two. That's what I had and that expired in November. It's probably a lot easier to cut it off now.

#98 kaydigi   BK All Day CAGiversary!   1582 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:26 PM

So far with first party they do not, 3rd party they do.

That’s good to know, I’ll probably convert to digital on the series x and ps5. I’ll stay physical on the switch, since I have more than one.

#99 GizmoGC   I love Cheese CAGiversary!   12426 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:03 PM

Well to be fair, we haven't seen what bestbuy will do after ALL the GCU accounts are gone in march yet. Not holding my breath, but that frees them up a bit in pricing freedom. If they do nothing, amazon will just take further share in this area from them.

There can’t be more than a few thousand people who still have an active subscription. This isn’t freeing them up for anything.

#100 DeGarmo2   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   266 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

DeGarmo2

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:07 PM

Jeez man really cmon lol I mean how many people even still had GCU at this point for them to want to just straight up cut them out of it now.

Possibly introducing a new membership and they want to phase GCU out completely?

I mean, this does kinda suck for people who had memberships left, but they cancelled the program like, I dunno, 2 years ago? It seemed like a nice gesture they let people stay on to begin with. Honestly, being BB I’m surprised they didn’t do this from day 1. I actually think it makes less sense for them to support it now for the handful of people who still have it.

#101 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3178 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:25 PM

I mean, this does kinda suck for people who had memberships left, but they cancelled the program like, I dunno, 2 years ago? It seemed like a nice gesture they let people stay on to begin with. Honestly, being BB I’m surprised they didn’t do this from day 1. I actually think it makes less sense for them to support it now for the handful of people who still have it.

Agreed.  Any other company would have just axed it across the board.  It never makes sense to keep a dead program around for just a few folks because the logistical costs outweigh the benefits.  This was good will that went on too long.  It's almost as if someone at management came into the job, and then noticed one day a line item on a worksheet, and asked, "WTF is this?"  

#102 elessar123  

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:58 PM

Hopefully you guys get your checks like they say. They gave me and plenty of other people a single use 25% off code as a way to say goodbye, but the codes they gave us were not valid

I thought it was just me. Mine wasn't valid.

#103 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20214 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:20 PM

Same here, code didnt work.

#104 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2237 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:41 PM

Agreed.  Any other company would have just axed it across the board.  It never makes sense to keep a dead program around for just a few folks because the logistical costs outweigh the benefits.  This was good will that went on too long.  It's almost as if someone at management came into the job, and then noticed one day a line item on a worksheet, and asked, "WTF is this?"  

Yeah, they gave it 3 years to time out.  That's a full 2 years for anyone that bought it right before they ended it.  That's reasonable, it would be crappy to cut it for anyone that just bought it.  Then they gave it another year for anyone that had some extra on top of that.  Beyond that, you just run into an incredibly small number of people that stacked years, usually from deals - not paying full price (I doubt many would have re-upped at full price for stacked years).  It actually sounds pretty well planned out.

Yes, it will upset those people, but anytime you change or cut a program, you are going to make people mad that are affected.  As has been covered, this discount was probably costing them money - all things told.  And they had to continue to maintain it for a dwindling number of people.  There is a line where benefit just doesn't outweigh cost.  You compensate them, and those that swear off the store because they can't continue to buy things below cost you just have to consider attrition.

#105 JSweeney   ... CAGiversary!   11366 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

JSweeney

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:14 AM

Yeah, they gave it 3 years to time out.  That's a full 2 years for anyone that bought it right before they ended it.  That's reasonable, it would be crappy to cut it for anyone that just bought it.  Then they gave it another year for anyone that had some extra on top of that.  Beyond that, you just run into an incredibly small number of people that stacked years, usually from deals - not paying full price (I doubt many would have re-upped at full price for stacked years).  It actually sounds pretty well planned out.

Yes, it will upset those people, but anytime you change or cut a program, you are going to make people mad that are affected.  As has been covered, this discount was probably costing them money - all things told.  And they had to continue to maintain it for a dwindling number of people.  There is a line where benefit just doesn't outweigh cost.  You compensate them, and those that swear off the store because they can't continue to buy things below cost you just have to consider attrition.

It had reached the point where just about all of the people still on it would be considered "demon customers", and Best Buy likely wouldn't care if they come back or not as they're in that group of excessively needy and demanding customers that aren't hugely profitable to deal with anyways. 

#106 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2237 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 25 January 2021 - 02:58 AM

It had reached the point where just about all of the people still on it would be considered "demon customers", and Best Buy likely wouldn't care if they come back or not as they're in that group of excessively needy and demanding customers that aren't hugely profitable to deal with anyways. 

Well I wasn't going to put it like that, but yeah.  Anyone that stacked multiple subscriptions most likely did it through some stacked discount (like the mobile one), and was looking to lock in a pretty much permanent 20% off.  More dedicated CAGs and SlickDealers type of people.  Not exactly the kind of people that throw more full price stuff in their cart "while they are shopping", which is the only way they make money from them.  Or buy a TV that isn't on a big sale.  Cutting them off (and reimbursing them full value, not the discounted price they probably paid) in the long run works out in the positive.

#107 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   8247 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:54 PM

I am pretty sure I ordered The Last of US 2 at the end of January with the 25% off coupon. 

Like others I haven't shopped much there since GCU ran out.  Partly because of Covid and partly because I didn't need any big ticket items in the last year.  If I am going to mail order a game might as well go with Target or Amazon at this point.   I am going to lose my Elite I guess but don't really care.  

I did look at bestbuy.com for a PS5 and XBox Series X a few times and would have probably bought at least one if not both if I lucked into getting one.   

#108 TheOldGuy  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:53 PM

I ended up speaking with five customer service reps, but finally got Best Buy to honor the 25% off a physical video game coupon they emailed me last month when my GCU ended. Probably not worth the time I spent, but just on principle I wanted that discount!

#109 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15637 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 12:34 AM

TBH with how last year went, big box stores will probably be in trouble unless they shrink their footprint with just how subscription-based media has become. The few random times I did set foot in a Best Buy for returns (actually, 100% of those trips were returns lol), it just seemed silly how much dead space they had towards the back where videogames largely occupied for years. All the games/movies/music sections have just been evaporating and I've finally converted to all digital now that I can have everything I need as a sub. As for what electronics they do offer, I just buy those online for delivery.

Even then, I don't qualify for any of their elite statuses this year since I bought almost nothing outside of the new consoles. Losing GCU for me wasn't even relevant by the time it did happen since I had just stopped buying games almost entirely.

#110 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3178 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted Yesterday, 06:32 AM

TBH with how last year went, big box stores will probably be in trouble unless they shrink their footprint with just how subscription-based media has become. The few random times I did set foot in a Best Buy for returns (actually, 100% of those trips were returns lol), it just seemed silly how much dead space they had towards the back where videogames largely occupied for years. All the games/movies/music sections have just been evaporating and I've finally converted to all digital now that I can have everything I need as a sub. As for what electronics they do offer, I just buy those online for delivery.

Even then, I don't qualify for any of their elite statuses this year since I bought almost nothing outside of the new consoles. Losing GCU for me wasn't even relevant by the time it did happen since I had just stopped buying games almost entirely.

This is largely what's happening to most consumers' behavior for physical media. I'll never buy digital, but I get the writing is on the wall. Target has all but cut down films to one side of an aisle, and I suspect the games aisles are up next. Best Buy will do the same. Doesn't make sense to devote that much floor space to items they're likely making hardly any money on (and will continue downward).

Honestly, this is what makes me want to order the LRG PS4 games that Best Buy presumably will order. I can see the retailer reversing course on adding PS4 game inventory.