2021 Thrift Store AND Yard Sale Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

GW- Figures and goggles were in 2 $6 bags. PS3 controller was $1. PS composite cable was $1. GTA London was $3. GW- sealed Fillet knife, Wiimote, sealed toothbrush were $9. Small thrift store-$90 for all the game stuff, book, DVDs, and cds. They actually told me to take the boxes of dvds and cds so I offered more for the game stuff.

vevKKGT.jpeg
eMvbs6t.jpeg
MXUKmQm.jpeg
zlUzeBH.jpeg
NAef4wM.jpeg
lh2Zboy.jpeg
OKu6O4m.jpeg
AWPelxU.jpeg

[attachment=35190:tucson take.png]

Here are a few things I snapped up while at Tucson a couple weeks ago. Nothing earth-shattering, but that HP ProDesk 600 has more than double the power of my current desktop, according to Passmark. I just need to get an SSD drive and a small form factor video card in there, and I have no idea where to shop for the latter. (I could transfer the mobo to another case, but bleech.)

There's also a Sansa player for $3 (they're still selling these, I've heard!) and Project X Zone 2 for $12. Man, that game is some serious fan-wank. The sad thing is, I recognize most of the references the characters are making. Oy, I'm such a dork.

[attachment=35191:delo.png]

This was the real prize, though. There's a guy in the Tucson area driving around in a friggin' Delorean! I just about had a heart attack when I saw it!

Car trouble prevented my mom and I from hitting up thrift stores since last year. Looking forward to the repairs being finished so we can check out our favorite haunts soon.

I'll have to post pics but keep an eye at your local GW for Xbox Stuff. I saw a sealed Series S for $199

I guess there have been a few others that have found them in Washington and Oregon

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll had to post pics but keep an eye at your local GW for Xbox Stuff. I saw a sealed Series S for $199

I guess there have been a few others that have found them in Washington and Oregon

WOWWW. Sadly all the goodwills in my area no longer carry video games. They all go up on shopgoodwill.

PS2 controller and complete in box Apple Superdrive- $10. Complete PS2 games, sealed bass strings, cartridge only Mario Kart DS- $15. Huge bag of Lego Bionicles- $12

jn28zVD.jpeg
bAAUkZg.jpeg
wgumBou.jpeg

While at the pawn shop, I got a full-sized Switch for $240 (before tax), because the frickin' Switch Lite just wasn't doing it for me anymore. It's the eyestrain machine... some games are technically compatible with it, but don't really *work* with it, y'know? Prime example: Mechstermination Force. The designer made everything huge but you, and you can't play it when you're at microbe size.

The right Joycon is faulty, but I have an adapter and other joysticks, so no big deal there. Maybe I'll get a replacement for the Joycon later or attempt a repair, I dunno.

Update on my posts- sold the 1981 Scare Glow figure for $140 shipped, Mississippi Masala dvd for $25, and the Lego Bionicles for $100 shipped. Traded in about 30 dvds/cds to a local store and got the SNES games in the Pickups thread for $20. 

You're probably in a bad place for thrifting. It happens. The pandemic and nostalgia for classic consoles have driven up demand accordingly, which means fewer items at higher prices.

The real burn for me is that someone donated a Republic of Gamers computer right under my nose at the Goodwill I frequent. I was close enough to reach out and touch it, but they couldn't sell it to me because it hadn't yet been processed.

I called about it a couple of days later and was told that it was never destined for sale, not even on the auction site... evidently computers are sent to Dell for recycling. Ugh! Arrgh!

One thing to start watching out for when thrifting are ps2 dualshock 2 controllers - they are starting to have a high fail rate. I have around 7 that used to work that now no longer work with certain button inputs.

On the back the DualShock 2s will have a letter next to the model number ‘H’ ‘A’ or ‘M’. The ones with the letter H are all starting to go. Just a friendly warning.

One thing to start watching out for when thrifting are ps2 dualshock 2 controllers - they are starting to have a high fail rate. I have around 7 that used to work that now no longer work with certain button inputs.

On the back the DualShock 2s will have a letter next to the model number ‘H’ ‘A’ or ‘M’. The ones with the letter H are all starting to go. Just a friendly warning.
Those $2 360 and PS3 I got from Salvation Army last year are busts so far. I only have two more PS3 controller to test and I'm not holding my breath on them working properly. I will probably list them for parts/repair only bundles on Mercari.

Now for finds:

Salvation Army

2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (360)

Borderlands 2 (360)

Popover pan in box w/ recipes on the back

Clothes

Animal Humane Thrift

Movies

Books

Clothes

Goowill- $6 for the pair of hockey sticks, keyboard kit and PS2 stuff was about $20, WGU Webcam- $9. Saitek AV8R-01 flight stick- $6. Sony MDR-V150 headphones $3, Genesis controllers- $3 apiece. Sealed BBT sets were bundled together for $15. Perfect Dark Zero-$3. Skylanders Giants with Trap Team disc- $1.50. Tiger Pinbot game was $3.

rxDalxO.jpeg
MDVeMui.jpeg
5sTn2xY.jpg
6SuwQlL.jpg

Time to bump this back up! Book-$3, NES games-$6 apiece, sealed Pokémon cards-$2 apiece, Xbox game-$3, missing booklet. I actually went back for the Marios and a $3 RBI Baseball but someone bought it.  Sealed MP3 player- $6. Games- $3 apiece. Halo Legends dvd- $2 (also picked up COD Black Ops 2 for X360 for $3 which is I took right to GS and traded in for $13.20).

inVQfgv.jpeg
iGY7d1K.jpeg

Time to bump this back up! Book-$3, NES games-$6 apiece, sealed Pokémon cards-$2 apiece, Xbox game-$3, missing booklet. I actually went back for the Marios and a $3 RBI Baseball but someone bought it. Sealed MP3 player- $6. Games- $3 apiece. Halo Legends dvd- $2 (also picked up COD Black Ops 2 for X360 for $3 which is I took right to GS and traded in for $13.20).

inVQfgv.jpeg
iGY7d1K.jpeg
Nice, Wii Sports has very nice resale value. I haven't been out as much as I would like. The AMVets near me stopped accepting toys for some reason, they said it was due to the pandemic but feel the furniture is a greater infection risk.

Yeah Ive honestly never seen the Wii Sports dual disc before. It was scratched to shit! Wii Sports played just fine but Resort crashed to an Error screen after doing the skydiving part at the beginning. I put brand new pads on the disc buffer at work and gave it a 4 minute deep buff! (We usually only do 30 sec or 1 min buffs). I cant believe how much better it looks! Will test it out after work.

I only hit up Goodwill after work if Im feeling like it, its only down the road. The little thrift store I go to is only open 10-3 Thurs-Sat so Sat is usually the only time I can stop in. Not too worried about missing anything there because the old ladies know me as "the library guy" and will hold any gaming stuff.

Yeah Ive honestly never seen the Wii Sports dual disc before. It was scratched to shit! Wii Sports played just fine but Resort crashed to an Error screen after doing the skydiving part at the beginning. I put brand new pads on the disc buffer at work and gave it a 4 minute deep buff! (We usually only do 30 sec or 1 min buffs). I cant believe how much better it looks! Will test it out after work.

I only hit up Goodwill after work if Im feeling like it, its only down the road. The little thrift store I go to is only open 10-3 Thurs-Sat so Sat is usually the only time I can stop in. Not too worried about missing anything there because the old ladies know me as "the library guy" and will hold any gaming stuff.
I should ask at my library if they have a disc resurfacing machine. I feel that they do not based on how most of the older discs look. Maybe they just don't use it.

Hiya, I found one of those dual Wii Sports/Resort discs at a local pawn shop for $3, was the first time I had ever seen it heck I didn't even know about it before I saw it.

Nice finds, way better than my local Goodwills.

Not much to report of late. But here are my finds so far for the year, the majority of the games were $3 each

Tetris DS

Star Wars: Rebel Strike and Rogue Leader

NCAA Football 2013 for PS3

A black Gamecube controller $3

PS1

Final Fantasy 7 black label

Command and Conquer PS1

Ace Combat 3

Total Eclipse: Turbo

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

WCW Mayhem

Mortal Kombat Trilogy: Greatest Hits version

A model 2 Genesis with five games, a six button controller and a fighter stick for $16 :

Power Rangers

Sonic Spinball

the Lion King

Fifa (forgot the year)

Animaniacs

Then a ton of movies on DVD and blu-ray The highlights are:

Three Kurosawa films

Brave sealed on Blu-Ray

Frozen on Blu-Ray (I already own)

a bunch of sealed DVDs like Monster's Inc, Roman Holiday and Breakfast at Tiffany's

Acer H243H monitor, SM9625 mouse, SK9625 keyboard, Klipsch 2.1 Promedia, Pink Panther dvd set, Disney glasses- $26 at a small thrift. GBASP 101 and Sealed Xbox 360 games- $9, $4 apiece. Sadly the SP doesn't boot or charge. The screen does work when tested with my other GBASP motherboard. Just the screen could make me back my $ I spent for everything!

fU5uoVp.jpeg
osrit7N.jpeg

First time hitting the thrift stores for this year and found me a SNES classic Edition system for $15.

IMG-4650.jpg
IMG-4648.jpg
IMG-4937.jpg

I had the thrift store find of the century on Saturday.  All these games were behind the counter in a tote, and were all marked $3.99.  All were basically mint with original cases and booklets.  Many of these games even have the orange d_skin disc protective covers over the discs.  I was stunned.  Spent $315.  Here we go:

Playstation 2

Shining Force EXA
Shadow of Destiny
Unlimited Saga
Wild Arms 5 (sealed)
Space Channel 5: Special Edition
Dragon Quest VIII
Odin Sphere
Sims 2: Pets
Xenosaga
Sims 2: Castaway
Demon Stone: Forgotten Realms
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Xenosaga II
Warriors of Might and Magic
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Wild Arms Alter Code F
The Sims: Bustin' Out
Legaia 2
Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
Gladius
Baroque
Xenosaga III
Culdcept
Red Ninja: End of Honor
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
Shaman King: Power of Spirit
Tales of Legendia
Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny
CSI: 3 Dimensions of Murder
Hack Part 4: Quarantine (SEALED) 
icon_surprised.gif

Dark Cloud
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Jade Cocoon 2
Heroes of Might and Magic
Grandia II
Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly
Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition (sealed)
Summoner
Hack 2: Mutation
Hack 3: Outbreak
The Sims
LaPucelle Tactics
The Urbz: Sims in the City
Shepherd's Crossing
Hack: Infection
Wild Arms 4
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
Dark Cloud 2
GrimGrimoite
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Summoner 2
Rule of Rose 
icon_surprised.gif

Sega Genesis Collection
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Beyond Good & Evil
Fatal Frame
Wild Arms 3
The Sims 2
Grandia Xtreme
Tales of the Abyss
Kings Field: The Ancient City
Obscure: The Aftermath
Champions of Norrath
Evergrace
Radiata Stories
Steamboat Chronicles
Official DVD remote (sealed)

Wii

Baroque
My Sims Kingdom (sealed)
Nights: Journey of Dreams (sealed)
Official Nunchuk (sealed)
Official Wii Remote (sealed)

Again, everything listed above was just $3.99 each.

Holy smokes. Rule of rose for 3.99. That’s a phenomenal find. This game is like now $500+.

I remember my local half price books had it for $160 like 4 years back and I scoffed at the price. #regrets

on another note, all the goodwills in my area have closed. 

I called that this was going to happen when they switched to putting all their good stuff on shopgoodwill.com. Had they continued to actually have worthwhile things, I think they would have had a greater net profit at the store, and thus stayed open.

How ironic that Goodwill, which is supposed to be offering jobs, is now shutting down stores and laying people off, just because they are getting greedier with the things they sell via online fronts.

on another note, all the goodwills in my area have closed.

I called that this was going to happen when they switched to putting all their good stuff on shopgoodwill.com. Had they continued to actually have worthwhile things, I think they would have had a greater net profit at the store, and thus stayed open.

How ironic that Goodwill, which is supposed to be offering jobs, is now shutting down stores and laying people off, just because they are getting greedier with the things they sell via online fronts.
I'm sure they are moving all those jobs to assist with their online storefront. The GWs around me have all moved to new, nicer, locations. I don't believe any have closed

Ahh I love when other people find good stuff around here! Sometimes I feel like I have to go find something to keep the thread going! Small thrift- PC software and movies were $13, I already sold "Waking Ned Devine" for $15 shipped. Goodwill- STL Blues Jack Daniels glasses were $1 apiece, PS1 games were $3 apiece. Small thrift- RCA flat antenna was with my PC games. Coke book set was $3. Goodwill- top row games were $6 apiece, bottom row games were $3 apiece, Blu-ray was $0.75. $6 isnt terrible for SNES/Genesis games but you know id prefer $3 like PS/Wii/Xbox games!

fsTrY2a.jpeg
rQXKjmV.jpeg
0Q0TyfV.jpg

It's hard to find quality stuff where I'm at, the area thrifts can be very hit-or-miss. Trips can swing wildly between hitting the mother lode and "well it was nice getting out of the house for a bit."

Goodwill- VHS were 20 cents apiece. Apparently the Kiss one goes for $20-$30! Linksys switch was $3. Small thrift- 1977 McDonald's glass, Blues plush, dvd, and cds were about $4.

vEPTEBm.jpg

No gaming finds at Goodwill this time, did find other goodies though.

Amazon brand cover for Fire Tablet HD 8

Owl mug

A Charlie Brown Christmas by Vince Guaraldi Trio (CD)

Been pretty slow but i hit a new thrift store

And as promised from last dec 2020 pics of the Xbox Series S I found at GW

Top row- VHS were 20 cents apiece, PS1 game was 50 cents because the girl rang it up as a CD. Middle row- they bundled the 4 horror VHS together for $25....still worth a lot more!, PS2 game was $3, sealed PS3 games were $3 apiece. Bottom row- cds were 50 cents apiece and the composite cables were $1 apiece. So $40.34 total after tax! I guess im into VHS buying now.

bdA7VU7.jpeg

Love seeing those good horror VHS finds!

Top row- VHS were 20 cents apiece, PS1 game was 50 cents because the girl rang it up as a CD. Middle row- they bundled the 4 horror VHS together for $25....still worth a lot more!, PS2 game was $3, sealed PS3 games were $3 apiece. Bottom row- cds were 50 cents apiece and the composite cables were $1 apiece. So $40.34 total after tax! I guess im into VHS buying now.

bdA7VU7.jpeg

So I don't think we have a new yard sales/flea market thread, but I suppose yard sales are *like* thrift stores so here are my yard sale finds from the weekend! I hit a few sales near my house that I figured wouldn't have much traffic and lucked out at the last one. Gamecube stuff was $50 all together while the poster, cat curtains, and box of index cards were $20. Turns out the curtains are actually a discontinued variety from IKEA that's actually kind of pricey, so that was an interesting discovery. I'm keeping a pair for myself and gifted the other to a crazy cat lady friend of mine who was quite excited to finally have a pair.

WFbSiCb.jpg

vrqjCWd.jpg

kLd2xaC.jpg

So I don't think we have a new yard sales/flea market thread, but I suppose yard sales are *like* thrift stores so here are my yard sale finds from the weekend! I hit a few sales near my house that I figured wouldn't have much traffic and lucked out at the last one. Gamecube stuff was $50 all together while the poster, cat curtains, and box of index cards were $20. Turns out the curtains are actually a discontinued variety from IKEA that's actually kind of pricey, so that was an interesting discovery. I'm keeping a pair for myself and gifted the other to a crazy cat lady friend of mine who was quite excited to finally have a pair.[font='Proxima Nova Regular', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
WFbSiCb.jpg
[/size][/font]
[font='Proxima Nova Regular', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
vrqjCWd.jpg
[/size][/font]
[font='Proxima Nova Regular', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
kLd2xaC.jpg
[/size][/font]
That's a stellar gamecube haul. So many controllers!

Big Ticket Finds at Salvation Army:

46 inch Sony Bravia HDTV (2009 model) $80 - Living Room TV

Huffy 26 inch Cruiser Bike $20 - Needs work

Gaming finds at Goodwill - all Xbox 360 games @ $4 each:

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Assassin's Creed Revelation

Assassin's Creed Rogue

Batman: Arkham City

Fable 3

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist

Computer Accessory finds at Goodwill:

Logitech Wireless Keyboard - $6

Dell Wired USB Keyboard - $5

Lenovo Wired USB Keyboard - $5

Also:

Clothes

Books

Movies

Owl collectibles

Other various items

Been pretty slow the past 2 weeks at the thrifts. Goodwill- $3 PS1 game and $20 VCR/DVD. More than I wanted to give GW for a player but it's worth like $60 and I needed one to test all the VHS I've picked up.

9D446sh.jpg

Almost struck out during the last trip to Salvation Army a couple of days ago. Thankfully my mom and I were able to find a few things and it was 25% off everything that day.

My finds:

Red Dead Redemption GotY Edition - PS3

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Xbox 360

Case Logic 72 CD case w/ car sun visor CD holder

Books

Large Drawstring Backpack

Goodwill- 4 sealed games were $6 apiece, Apple keyboard was $2, cd was $1. 3 video games were from a yard sale for $1 apiece.

US1MNoZ.jpeg

bread's done
Back