* * * - - 2 votes

PSA Microsoft has increased the price of XBL

#1 Sugarbeats  

Sugarbeats

Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:44 AM

A one-month membership will now cost $10.99, three months is $29.99, and six months is $59.99 (or the local market equivalent). This means that the price of a one-month membership has increased by $1, while the price of three months is now $5 more. Sony may follow soon, I would buy a few more years if I were you guys. 

https://www.ign.com/...-xbox-live-gold

#2 Jayinem  

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:06 AM

They don't have enough munnies. 

#3 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   1296 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:09 AM

Changed their mind and now free to play will not require gold. Still, egg on their greedy faces.

#4 redonkalous  

redonkalous

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:05 AM

Xbox listened and changed their minds. They made Xbox better.

#5 doug_brit   Biohazard CAGiversary!   649 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

doug_brit

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:16 AM

...and they walked it back.

Microsoft is no hero here. Just because they folded to the pressure doesn’t mean they did this for the good of the gaming community. They haven’t done anything to warrant an increase in price.

#6 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:59 AM

Need to delete the thread or change the title.

#7 Hessler1  

Hessler1

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:59 AM

Just a ploy to get more Gamepass Ultimate subs. At $180 a year I would rather just buy games especially since they only released one full priced game Gears Tactics this year with no DLC and it was on sale for $30 after a month or two. PS Now is equally as bad sadly but it is way cheaper.

#8 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   2129 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:06 AM

Somebody at MS is getting fire lol

#9 NoThanksBro   Vampire Killer CAGiversary!   421 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

NoThanksBro

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:17 AM

Just a ploy to get more Gamepass Ultimate subs. At $180 a year I would rather just buy games especially since they only released one full priced game Gears Tactics this year with no DLC and it was on sale for $30 after a month or two. PS Now is equally as bad sadly but it is way cheaper.

PS Now doesn't get new games on release day, it takes a long time for stuff to get added to the service. And way too much of the catalog is streaming titles, since PS4 and PS5 can't play PS3 games natively.

Xbox Game Pass gives you 100% native console playback, as well as access to certain titles on PC, and an Android streaming option.

#10 Jayinem  

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:32 AM

Reminds me of Xbox One launch.

Microsoft: We will make you connect online to play your offline games

Fans: No you won't

Microsoft: You're right 

#11 stackfan  

stackfan

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:52 AM

Timing seems odd to me.  Why announce this 2 months after the console launches; and its BARELY in anyone's hands. Anyone on the fence with getting into the Xbox Ecosystem;  may reconsider.    IF they were to jack up the price;  maybe release a few big exclusive games for Xbox first.   Fans are still waiting a Halo. 

Clearly GP Ultimate is the best option;  but like how long before they double the price of that.

#12 Hessler1  

Hessler1

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:09 AM

Seems they reversed the decision gamers making their voices heard. Just like before and the online requirement.

#13 dxironman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   176 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

dxironman

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:55 AM

I was about to cancel my series X order. There’s no way XBL in its current form is worth that much per year.

#14 brewin   Gamer Dad CAGiversary!   484 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:59 AM

I can't fathom people arguing against the value of Game pass still! It's far and away the absolute best value in gaming, period. I have found so many new games that I would have never given the time of day it's ridiculous. Also if I really want to own one of the gp games, I buy the disc used at Gamestop when it hits bargain bin prices. It also gives publishers a risk-free option to release their games into the xbox ecosystem. Would xbox get Japanese titles like Dragon Quest and Yakuza without gamepass?! Probably not but there they are, sitting pretty on GP.
And since GP Ultimate includes Live Gold AND cloud streaming (which actually works great!) It's a no -brainer. Xbox does such a good job of adding stuff to keep it fresh that I have never once felt like there wasn't something good to play. This service has literally saved me thousands of dollars!

#15 Sporkis   Barley Legal CAGiversary!   1832 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:28 PM

Timing seems odd to me.  Why announce this 2 months after the console launches; and its BARELY in anyone's hands. Anyone on the fence with getting into the Xbox Ecosystem;  may reconsider.    IF they were to jack up the price;  maybe release a few big exclusive games for Xbox first.   Fans are still waiting a Halo. 

Clearly GP Ultimate is the best option;  but like how long before they double the price of that.

Maybe a part of it is due to that the console is barely in anyone's hands except for one specific demo that's buying them up in droves, just maybe? 

You got to remember Microsoft like all console makers do not make their money on the console sales.  Games, accessories & subscriptions is where they make their monies.  Kind of hard to sell those things to a consumer when the majority of those systems are sitting idle waiting to be flip for three times the amount they actually cost.

While I'm sure there were other factors along with plain old corperate greed, one can't dismiss that maybe it was a possible factor.  But hey that's just my opinion.

#16 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1397 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:37 PM

Seems they reversed the decision gamers making their voices heard. Just like before and the online requirement.

Great news.  The price spiked for 3 months passes even the keys shot up to 40 bucks 

#17 dxironman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   176 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

dxironman

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:39 PM

I can't fathom people arguing against the value of Game pass still! It's far and away the absolute best value in gaming, period. I have found so many new games that I would have never given the time of day it's ridiculous. Also if I really want to own one of the gp games, I buy the disc used at Gamestop when it hits bargain bin prices. It also gives publishers a risk-free option to release their games into the xbox ecosystem. Would xbox get Japanese titles like Dragon Quest and Yakuza without gamepass?! Probably not but there they are, sitting pretty on GP.
And since GP Ultimate includes Live Gold AND cloud streaming (which actually works great!) It's a no -brainer. Xbox does such a good job of adding stuff to keep it fresh that I have never once felt like there wasn't something good to play. This service has literally saved me thousands of dollars!

You’re not wrong but in my case I’m not utilizing GP every month.

#18 sharpeone   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2349 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:55 PM

Looks like they reversed this and went even further in making free-to-play games "free" from having Gold to play online.  IMO that's a pretty impressive about face.

#19 Umyhoneycomb  

Umyhoneycomb

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:12 PM

What does this reversal teach you, if enough people cry and complain folks will change their minds eventually.

#20 Pig   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   298 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:27 PM

I already thought it was super greed for them to release a new console just because Sony was followed up by no new/exclusive games. At least with PS5 you get some exclusive new stuff even if it is only 3-4 games. Xbox? Buy our new console and play the same games you can play on your old xbox AND other consoles. 

Sure I know that sooner or later they'll have exclusives (maybe not because of gamepass and PC availability) and yes the games look great on XSX, but it feels more like PS4 Pro than PS4 > PS5 in my opinion. 

The raising of prices isn't shocking more than its disappointing. The amount its increased is insane. Go up several dollars, but dont double it out the gate. Thats just insulting on top of already being insulted.

#21 Leonard Shelby  

Leonard Shelby

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:55 PM

LOL

#22 ICHIRO51MVP   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   190 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

ICHIRO51MVP

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:02 PM

You're right that it is the best value, but you're comparing two products that are meant for completely different groups of gamers.

Game Pass Ultimate is great for people like you and me who want to try out many new games while also being able to play online.  But you have to remember that there are plenty of people who only want to play their favorite multiplayer games like COD, Fortnite, NBA 2K etc. and don't care about trying other games even if it's a great value. XBL Gold is still cheaper than GPU, so for those people who just want to play online there's no reason to pay more for GPU if they're not going to use the extra perks.

Having more options as consumers is always better than having the company tell us which option is the better deal (of course they'll always recommend the option that benefits their own company the most) and making the decision for you basically giving you no other choice by jacking up the price  for the service you might have initially preferred.

#23 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3046 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:14 AM

I already thought it was super greed for them to release a new console just because Sony was followed up by no new/exclusive games. At least with PS5 you get some exclusive new stuff even if it is only 3-4 games. Xbox? Buy our new console and play the same games you can play on your old xbox AND other consoles. 

Sure I know that sooner or later they'll have exclusives (maybe not because of gamepass and PC availability) and yes the games look great on XSX, but it feels more like PS4 Pro than PS4 > PS5 in my opinion. 

The raising of prices isn't shocking more than its disappointing. The amount its increased is insane. Go up several dollars, but dont double it out the gate. Thats just insulting on top of already being insulted.

It's greedy to release a console with "no" exclusives? Delaying the whole console because Halo wasn't ready would have been dumb. Better to delay it then to end up with the mess that happened with Cyberpunk.

#24 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1109 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:20 AM

giphy.gif

#25 NoThanksBro   Vampire Killer CAGiversary!   421 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

NoThanksBro

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:57 AM

On the contrary, it seems that PS5 was rushed. That's why it has shitty build quality, half-assed glitchy BC, "Dumb Delivery" where the PS4 versions of games installed on PS5, and the now infamous download queue bug. Did I mention YOU STILL CAN'T EXPAND THE STORAGE ON PS5? This thing was not ready to launch.

At least Series X launched as a competent, working piece of hardware. That's a lot more than can be said about PS5.

#26 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1397 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:22 AM

Everybody has something in this game.  comcasts recent 1.2 tb cap limit may cause some problems for some folks with games checking in with 50 gig downloads.  December they announced a price increase to their internet plans with jan and feb being months with grace periods if you go over.  They claim oh 1.2 TB is a zillion downloads yada yada yet when you look at the data usage your like I used that much data?.

#27 kaydigi   BK All Day CAGiversary!   1591 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:59 PM

It was on sale for $30 during Thanksgiving week. Which is pretty insulting if you just bought it two weeks prior for full price.

#28 sharpeone   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2349 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:40 PM

It was on sale for $30 during Thanksgiving week. Which is pretty insulting if you just bought it two weeks prior for full price.

Yeah, if you are paying full price for Ultimate, you really don't belong on this site :).  I have picked up 3 month increments anywhere between $15-18 (maybe $20 at most) a piece for the past few months.  So best case, I get a year for $60.  Worst case, it has cost me $80 a year for both my XBox SX and PC.  I think that's an amazing deal.

When you add the whole $1 Ultimate with the possibilities of converting 1:1 with Gold, there are members here who maxed out at 3 years at a ridiculous price.

#29 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1397 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:41 PM

target had them for 20 LOL in stock

#30 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:05 PM

Remember when the xbox one was going to be disc-less? Or required kinect?