PSA Microsoft has increased the price of XBL

Sugarbeats

CAGiversary!
A one-month membership will now cost $10.99, three months is $29.99, and six months is $59.99 (or the local market equivalent). This means that the price of a one-month membership has increased by $1, while the price of three months is now $5 more. Sony may follow soon, I would buy a few more years if I were you guys. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/microsoft-is-increasing-the-price-of-xbox-live-gold

Last edited by a moderator:
...and they walked it back.

Microsoft is no hero here. Just because they folded to the pressure doesn’t mean they did this for the good of the gaming community. They haven’t done anything to warrant an increase in price.

Just a ploy to get more Gamepass Ultimate subs. At $180 a year I would rather just buy games especially since they only released one full priced game Gears Tactics this year with no DLC and it was on sale for $30 after a month or two. PS Now is equally as bad sadly but it is way cheaper.

Just a ploy to get more Gamepass Ultimate subs. At $180 a year I would rather just buy games especially since they only released one full priced game Gears Tactics this year with no DLC and it was on sale for $30 after a month or two. PS Now is equally as bad sadly but it is way cheaper.
PS Now doesn't get new games on release day, it takes a long time for stuff to get added to the service. And way too much of the catalog is streaming titles, since PS4 and PS5 can't play PS3 games natively.

Xbox Game Pass gives you 100% native console playback, as well as access to certain titles on PC, and an Android streaming option.

Reminds me of Xbox One launch.

Microsoft: We will make you connect online to play your offline games

Fans: No you won't

Microsoft: You're right 

Timing seems odd to me.  Why announce this 2 months after the console launches; and its BARELY in anyone's hands. Anyone on the fence with getting into the Xbox Ecosystem;  may reconsider.    IF they were to jack up the price;  maybe release a few big exclusive games for Xbox first.   Fans are still waiting a Halo. 

Clearly GP Ultimate is the best option;  but like how long before they double the price of that.

Seems they reversed the decision gamers making their voices heard. Just like before and the online requirement.

I was about to cancel my series X order. There’s no way XBL in its current form is worth that much per year.

I can't fathom people arguing against the value of Game pass still! It's far and away the absolute best value in gaming, period. I have found so many new games that I would have never given the time of day it's ridiculous. Also if I really want to own one of the gp games, I buy the disc used at Gamestop when it hits bargain bin prices. It also gives publishers a risk-free option to release their games into the xbox ecosystem. Would xbox get Japanese titles like Dragon Quest and Yakuza without gamepass?! Probably not but there they are, sitting pretty on GP.
And since GP Ultimate includes Live Gold AND cloud streaming (which actually works great!) It's a no -brainer. Xbox does such a good job of adding stuff to keep it fresh that I have never once felt like there wasn't something good to play. This service has literally saved me thousands of dollars!

Timing seems odd to me. Why announce this 2 months after the console launches; and its BARELY in anyone's hands. Anyone on the fence with getting into the Xbox Ecosystem; may reconsider. IF they were to jack up the price; maybe release a few big exclusive games for Xbox first. Fans are still waiting a Halo.

Clearly GP Ultimate is the best option; but like how long before they double the price of that.
Maybe a part of it is due to that the console is barely in anyone's hands except for one specific demo that's buying them up in droves, just maybe?

You got to remember Microsoft like all console makers do not make their money on the console sales. Games, accessories & subscriptions is where they make their monies. Kind of hard to sell those things to a consumer when the majority of those systems are sitting idle waiting to be flip for three times the amount they actually cost.

While I'm sure there were other factors along with plain old corperate greed, one can't dismiss that maybe it was a possible factor. But hey that's just my opinion.

I can't fathom people arguing against the value of Game pass still! It's far and away the absolute best value in gaming, period. I have found so many new games that I would have never given the time of day it's ridiculous. Also if I really want to own one of the gp games, I buy the disc used at Gamestop when it hits bargain bin prices. It also gives publishers a risk-free option to release their games into the xbox ecosystem. Would xbox get Japanese titles like Dragon Quest and Yakuza without gamepass?! Probably not but there they are, sitting pretty on GP.
And since GP Ultimate includes Live Gold AND cloud streaming (which actually works great!) It's a no -brainer. Xbox does such a good job of adding stuff to keep it fresh that I have never once felt like there wasn't something good to play. This service has literally saved me thousands of dollars!
You’re not wrong but in my case I’m not utilizing GP every month.

Looks like they reversed this and went even further in making free-to-play games "free" from having Gold to play online.  IMO that's a pretty impressive about face.

I already thought it was super greed for them to release a new console just because Sony was followed up by no new/exclusive games. At least with PS5 you get some exclusive new stuff even if it is only 3-4 games. Xbox? Buy our new console and play the same games you can play on your old xbox AND other consoles. 

Sure I know that sooner or later they'll have exclusives (maybe not because of gamepass and PC availability) and yes the games look great on XSX, but it feels more like PS4 Pro than PS4 > PS5 in my opinion. 

The raising of prices isn't shocking more than its disappointing. The amount its increased is insane. Go up several dollars, but dont double it out the gate. Thats just insulting on top of already being insulted.

You're right that it is the best value, but you're comparing two products that are meant for completely different groups of gamers.

Game Pass Ultimate is great for people like you and me who want to try out many new games while also being able to play online. But you have to remember that there are plenty of people who only want to play their favorite multiplayer games like COD, Fortnite, NBA 2K etc. and don't care about trying other games even if it's a great value. XBL Gold is still cheaper than GPU, so for those people who just want to play online there's no reason to pay more for GPU if they're not going to use the extra perks.

Having more options as consumers is always better than having the company tell us which option is the better deal (of course they'll always recommend the option that benefits their own company the most) and making the decision for you basically giving you no other choice by jacking up the price for the service you might have initially preferred.

I already thought it was super greed for them to release a new console just because Sony was followed up by no new/exclusive games. At least with PS5 you get some exclusive new stuff even if it is only 3-4 games. Xbox? Buy our new console and play the same games you can play on your old xbox AND other consoles.

Sure I know that sooner or later they'll have exclusives (maybe not because of gamepass and PC availability) and yes the games look great on XSX, but it feels more like PS4 Pro than PS4 > PS5 in my opinion.

The raising of prices isn't shocking more than its disappointing. The amount its increased is insane. Go up several dollars, but dont double it out the gate. Thats just insulting on top of already being insulted.
It's greedy to release a console with "no" exclusives? Delaying the whole console because Halo wasn't ready would have been dumb. Better to delay it then to end up with the mess that happened with Cyberpunk.

giphy.gif

On the contrary, it seems that PS5 was rushed. That's why it has shitty build quality, half-assed glitchy BC, "Dumb Delivery" where the PS4 versions of games installed on PS5, and the now infamous download queue bug. Did I mention YOU STILL CAN'T EXPAND THE STORAGE ON PS5? This thing was not ready to launch.

At least Series X launched as a competent, working piece of hardware. That's a lot more than can be said about PS5.

Everybody has something in this game.  comcasts recent 1.2 tb cap limit may cause some problems for some folks with games checking in with 50 gig downloads.  December they announced a price increase to their internet plans with jan and feb being months with grace periods if you go over.  They claim oh 1.2 TB is a zillion downloads yada yada yet when you look at the data usage your like I used that much data?.

It was on sale for $30 during Thanksgiving week. Which is pretty insulting if you just bought it two weeks prior for full price.

It was on sale for $30 during Thanksgiving week. Which is pretty insulting if you just bought it two weeks prior for full price.
Yeah, if you are paying full price for Ultimate, you really don't belong on this site :). I have picked up 3 month increments anywhere between $15-18 (maybe $20 at most) a piece for the past few months. So best case, I get a year for $60. Worst case, it has cost me $80 a year for both my XBox SX and PC. I think that's an amazing deal.

When you add the whole $1 Ultimate with the possibilities of converting 1:1 with Gold, there are members here who maxed out at 3 years at a ridiculous price.

I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye out for a LIVE sale.  The proposed price increase really irked me. I'm planning to buy 36 months worth of LIVE at the next sale and upgrade to Ultimate Game Pass when I can.  I had done it once before, but I'm seeing other posts here indicating that the Ultimate upgrade can work again.

If you are currently on Game Pass Unlimited what happens when you add 12 months of Gold to your account?  Does that add 12 months of GPU?  

And now nearly half of all console software sold is digital, and everyone is screaming for more VR gimmicks.

Weird, huh?
Think MS tried introducing that one generation too soon. If MS waited till now to try and attempt that it might go over slightly better. If MS put some exclusive features into the XSS that can do digital trade in and family sharing and what not it would get the foot in the door.

Remember when the xbox one was going to be disc-less? Or required kinect?
Not really. The Kinect was never required even though it wast included with every system at the start and a disc-less version wasn't really viable at that point. They just wanted it to be online-only so it could check if you still had the right to play each game. However that would have worked.

I don't think they know what to do with Live right now, but it's clear this move was supposed to set the stage for an exit. At $120 it would have been the nudge people needed to get on GPU and phase XBLG out. What they should have done was decommission the requirement for Gold in online games and after a year move the free games over to GPU (or IMO just remove them altogether) while ending Gold at that time and converting all accounts with time remaining to GPU at 1:1.

Quite frankly both Live and PS+ are stupid services now that should be put to rest.

The problem is that there are many people like me that just want to play games online and don't care about the rented GWG titles (they are not "free" because you lose access to them if you don't subscribe to the services) or Game Pass. If they make stuff like Game Pass mandatory then I can imagine millions abandoning these platforms which means less players online which means a worse experience for everyone. It's interesting that MS tried to get everyone hooked on Game Pass and XBL only to try to attempt something like this and they tried to be the good guys for awhile. It just goes to show never trust anyone.
Hence why I said they should remove the requirement for online play from Gold and just dump the outdated system. Playing games online on PC is free; absolutely no reason they ever needed to charge for online access via consoles other than pure greed.

Think MS tried introducing that one generation too soon. If MS waited till now to try and attempt that it might go over slightly better. If MS put some exclusive features into the XSS that can do digital trade in and family sharing and what not it would get the foot in the door.
I don't think any time would have been good. People forget but Microsoft wanted to lock people out of buying used games entirely making it so you couldn't even give someone your disc without first releasing it from your account. Even if you did that, you could only transfer it once, never again. And the great gem; "game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers". Which means you needed permission to sell a game you own. But what if they decide not to let you sell it to anyone but Gamestop or themselves? Very similar to the disaster of online passes.

You couldn't play your games without it being connected to the internet. Which now I guess doesn't sound bad unless you're in an area that doesn't have online. Your offline games wouldn't even start up if they couldn't verify who you are via an online connection every hour.

Kinect also had to always be on which wouldn't be a problem if the Kinect worked properly or if people even wanted to use it as their main controller. Doesn't help that there were no games and it jacked up the price of the Xbox One by $100 - $150.

Microsoft wanted to control the market on Xbox by making physical so terrible that you had no choice but to get digital (despite the every hour check for those games too). I can't even blame them for trying to make as much money as possible but it would have ultimately screwed over Xbox consumers in the long run when they find Xbox digital games aren't going on sale and physical games aren't an option for cheaper games. The only thing that saved Microsoft was undoing those policies. No time that they announced or decided on them would have went over well to anyone.

https://www.theverge.com/2013/6/6/4403936/xbox-one-online-requirements-details

https://kotaku.com/xbox-one-wont-actually-need-kinect-plugged-in-microso-1113142909

Has anyone been able to go from GPU back to Gold and then upgrade back to GPU for only $1? 

If so, how many months did you have to be without GPU in order to get this promotion. 

Did you have to be without Gold for multiple months to get this offer?

Has anyone been able to go from GPU back to Gold and then upgrade back to GPU for only $1?

If so, how many months did you have to be without GPU in order to get this promotion.

Did you have to be without Gold for multiple months to get this offer?
IF I recall somebody that had an expired account was able to do it.

bread's done
Back