* * * - - 2 votes

PSA Microsoft has increased the price of XBL

#31 NoThanksBro   Vampire Killer CAGiversary!   430 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

NoThanksBro

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:24 AM

Remember when the xbox one was going to be disc-less? Or required kinect?

And now nearly half of all console software sold is digital, and everyone is screaming for more VR gimmicks.

Weird, huh?

#32 Kretical   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   31 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Kretical

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:26 AM

I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye out for a LIVE sale.  The proposed price increase really irked me. I'm planning to buy 36 months worth of LIVE at the next sale and upgrade to Ultimate Game Pass when I can.  I had done it once before, but I'm seeing other posts here indicating that the Ultimate upgrade can work again.

#33 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2954 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:13 PM

Reversed!

https://news.xbox.co...e-gold-pricing/

• ThatOneGuyWho likes this

#34 Indiana   Over 3 decades of gaming! CAGiversary!   3146 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:00 PM

If you are currently on Game Pass Unlimited what happens when you add 12 months of Gold to your account?  Does that add 12 months of GPU?  

#35 Touch3  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:15 PM

If you are currently on Game Pass Unlimited what happens when you add 12 months of Gold to your account? Does that add 12 months of GPU?

If you are already a GPU member it converts based on the cost of the code you redeem. The full chart is on this page under the FAQs: https://www.xbox.com...ve/gold/upgrade

#36 Mr.Sybok   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   175 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:54 PM

And now nearly half of all console software sold is digital, and everyone is screaming for more VR gimmicks.

Weird, huh?

Think MS tried introducing that one generation too soon. If MS waited till now to try and attempt that it might go over slightly better.  If MS put some exclusive features into the XSS that can do digital trade in and family sharing and what not it would get the foot in the door. 

#37 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:48 AM

How is this thread still open and getting replies?

#38 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3071 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:10 AM

Remember when the xbox one was going to be disc-less? Or required kinect?

Not really. The Kinect was never required even though it wast included with every system at the start and a disc-less version wasn't really viable at that point. They just wanted it to be online-only so it could check if you still had the right to play each game. However that would have worked.

#39 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15691 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:55 AM

I don't think they know what to do with Live right now, but it's clear this move was supposed to set the stage for an exit. At $120 it would have been the nudge people needed to get on GPU and phase XBLG out. What they should have done was decommission the requirement for Gold in online games and after a year move the free games over to GPU (or IMO just remove them altogether) while ending Gold at that time and converting all accounts with time remaining to GPU at 1:1.

Quite frankly both Live and PS+ are stupid services now that should be put to rest.

#40 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15691 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:11 AM

The problem is that there are many people like me that just want to play games online and don't care about the rented GWG titles (they are not "free" because you lose access to them if you don't subscribe to the services) or Game Pass. If they make stuff like Game Pass mandatory then I can imagine millions abandoning these platforms which means less players online which means a worse experience for everyone. It's interesting that MS tried to get everyone hooked on Game Pass and XBL only to try to attempt something like this and they tried to be the good guys for awhile. It just goes to show never trust anyone.

Hence why I said they should remove the requirement for online play from Gold and just dump the outdated system. Playing games online on PC is free; absolutely no reason they ever needed to charge for online access via consoles other than pure greed.

#41 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   1375 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:30 AM

Can’t help but wonder if the little to no profit on new consoles leads them to want to make up the profit on Gold.

#42 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7084 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:53 AM

Think MS tried introducing that one generation too soon. If MS waited till now to try and attempt that it might go over slightly better.  If MS put some exclusive features into the XSS that can do digital trade in and family sharing and what not it would get the foot in the door. 

I don't think any time would have been good. People forget but Microsoft wanted to lock people out of buying used games entirely making it so you couldn't even give someone your disc without first releasing it from your account. Even if you did that, you could only transfer it once, never again. And the great gem; "game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers". Which means you needed permission to sell a game you own. But what if they decide not to let you sell it to anyone but Gamestop or themselves? Very similar to the disaster of online passes.

You couldn't play your games without it being connected to the internet. Which now I guess doesn't sound bad unless you're in an area that doesn't have online. Your offline games wouldn't even start up if they couldn't verify who you are via an online connection every hour.

Kinect also had to always be on which wouldn't be a problem if the Kinect worked properly or if people even wanted to use it as their main controller. Doesn't help that there were no games and it jacked up the price of the Xbox One by $100 - $150.

Microsoft wanted to control the market on Xbox by making physical so terrible that you had no choice but to get digital (despite the every hour check for those games too). I can't even blame them for trying to make as much money as possible but it would have ultimately screwed over Xbox consumers in the long run when they find Xbox digital games aren't going on sale and physical games aren't an option for cheaper games. The only thing that saved Microsoft was undoing those policies. No time that they announced or decided on them would have went over well to anyone.

https://www.theverge...rements-details

https://kotaku.com/x...roso-1113142909

• therogueheero and BellardB like this

#43 Indiana   Over 3 decades of gaming! CAGiversary!   3146 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2021 - 04:01 PM

Has anyone been able to go from GPU back to Gold and then upgrade back to GPU for only $1? 

If so, how many months did you have to be without GPU in order to get this promotion. 

Did you have to be without Gold for multiple months to get this offer?

#44 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16834 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:43 PM

There are a lot of dumbasses in high positions at Microsoft.
  • Fatality likes this

#45 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1398 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:35 PM

Has anyone been able to go from GPU back to Gold and then upgrade back to GPU for only $1? 

If so, how many months did you have to be without GPU in order to get this promotion. 

Did you have to be without Gold for multiple months to get this offer?

IF I recall somebody that had an expired account was able to do it.