* * * * - 10 votes

Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

#781 Jesse_Dylan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3723 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Jesse_Dylan

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:02 AM

There are probably a lot of game devs making 6 figures.  Not all, i'm sure, but game devs probably make significantly higher income than the average person.  So it's a little harder to have sympathy for working conditions for those making a good income.  It's easy to have sympathy for the migrant worker making a few dollars a day and living in a shack with 10 other people.  Many of these game devs can afford to live in expensive cities like San Francisco and have other job options (that probably pay even more) if their working conditions are so bad.  Many game devs CHOSE to work in that field and weren't forced to because of their situation in life and because they had no other options, etc.  I'm not excusing bad management, per se.  Just giving a different perspective.  

I think you answered your own question:

Yeah, 10 years ago he just talked about games. It's less that I'm anti-union (I don't have much of an opinion here), and more that I don't always want to be inundated by political talk. He used to have leaks about things that make me happy, now he just has leaks about things that make me sad.

Do I trust him? Nope. I don't trust anyone whose job it is to report on a factual matter that quite clearly has a stake in finding things that agree with their strong, obvious point of view. Motivated reasoning is a hell of a drug.

Im not anti-union. I’m against trying to mobilize an army of gamers who aren’t making six figures and working their dream jobs like these devs. I’d rather people who play games make their own personal lives better and their personal communities better than be mobilized to advocate for game devs to unionize. Like I said, AAA game devs are likely in their dream jobs, making upwards of six figures (or more), and have wild benefits. If they want to unionize, they can do it themselves.

I should have stated my take better before. Before he became an activist instead of a journalist, he had all kinds of scoops that were consistently based in fact. Now he’s got a clear bias. I’d rather have a journalist be as objective as possible in their reporting.

Also, I shouldn’t have called Schreier a hack. He’s an activist. Jeff Grubb is a hack and a grifter. But that’s neither here nor there.

Thanks, I appreciate your opinions.  I also don't read much on the internet anymore, so I am not hit with things like this against my will, nor have I been following Schrier closely.

That said, the gaming industry employs a lot of people.  I think in general, the six-figure types are the ones doing the shit managing.  Maybe some of our favorite game devs do make decent money, but I don't think the majority do.  No, of course most gamers don't either.  Why can't we advocate for all of the above?  If we never advocate for anyone because other people have it worse, well... we'll never advocate for anyone.  

I think most folks play games because their lives kinda suck (not that you can't still play games if you're happy!); games help people cope with the fact that powers beyond their control effect their lives.  For a little while, when we're enjoying a game, we can stop blaming ourselves for problems that aren't our fault.  Heck, we're on Cheapassgamer, and that shit was real 10 years ago.  It still is, but it is easy to acquire far too many games cheaply now. 

Anyway, I'm assuming our lives aren't the greatest.  I'm just happy when anyone advocates for anyone.  I think video games are good for our mental health, and I think our mental health is fragile because the world makes us nuts.  But if we are always refusing to fight for ourselves or others because other people have it worse, or bath it bad too, we are just playing the game they want us playing, being miserable to make money for other people, and find relief in escapism.

#782 thundarr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   760 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

thundarr

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:10 AM

Thanks, I appreciate your opinions. I also don't read much on the internet anymore, so I am not hit with things like this against my will, nor have I been following Schrier closely.

That said, the gaming industry employs a lot of people. I think in general, the six-figure types are the ones doing the shit managing. Maybe some of our favorite game devs do make decent money, but I don't think the majority do. No, of course most gamers don't either. Why can't we advocate for all of the above? If we never advocate for anyone because other people have it worse, well... we'll never advocate for anyone.

I think most folks play games because their lives kinda suck (not that you can't still play games if you're happy!); games help people cope with the fact that powers beyond their control effect their lives. For a little while, when we're enjoying a game, we can stop blaming ourselves for problems that aren't our fault. Heck, we're on Cheapassgamer, and that shit was real 10 years ago. It still is, but it is easy to acquire far too many games cheaply now.

Anyway, I'm assuming our lives aren't the greatest. I'm just happy when anyone advocates for anyone. I think video games are good for our mental health, and I think our mental health is fragile because the world makes us nuts. But if we are always refusing to fight for ourselves or others because other people have it worse, or bath it bad too, we are just playing the game they want us playing, being miserable to make money for other people, and find relief in escapism.

You think we play games because our lives suck? I can’t even justify that with an intellectual response.

#783 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   4097 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:12 AM

TLOU isn’t that old we don’t need a remake of that now. What we need is Metal gear solid remake.
Also that abandoned game definitely isn’t Kojima’s. He wants a game that will not only make u piss ur pants but crap them. And it’s even confirmed by the developer that they’re not involved with Kojima in any way at all.

Remember Moby Dick Studios? They said the same shit and look how that ended up.

#784 Das_Regal   oh god CAGiversary!   1280 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:23 AM

I'm just happy when anyone advocates for anyone.

I think this is probably because advocacy seems like a novelty to you. You said yourself you don't spend a ton of time reading it. I'm on twitter all the time and people are constantly yelling at me and trying to tell me what to believe. It's my own fault to some extent; I've sought it out and gotten into those opinion spaces. That's why I'm sick of it.

I can't relate to other people telling you game devs have it great. Working 80 hours a week, even for a six figure salary, sounds like hell to me. I do think labor conditions could probably use some improvement and I bet Jason is probably doing something to help further it. That doesn't mean I want to consume or trust his writing.

Advocacy is generally a gross space to me even if it's a necessary evil because I have a very small amount of tolerance for untruth.

#785 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2418 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:42 AM

Sega Saturn's games are going for decent price as well, especially the rpg ones. Panzer Dragoon Saga value is still going up.

And it will keep on going up and up because the source code is lost.

#786 FinderKeeper   Eternal n00b CAGiversary!   423 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

FinderKeeper

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:11 AM

TBH I'd be more concerned with the working and living conditions of those manufacturing the consoles (and peripherals, computer equipment used to make the games, etc.) than the working and living conditions of those creating the intellectual property. I'm not saying that abusive practices don't happen among developers--crunch was/is/will be a thing. But stacked up against the wider picture of the product cycle I doubt very much it's the most abusive part of said cycle. And in the end, the surplus value trickles upward (to shareholders and/or investors).

#Astro'sBoardroom

#787 entexman  

entexman

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:24 AM

All this talk about this game journalist I never heard of made me want to chime in. This is all my opinion so read if you want.

I stopped following game journalists for the most part when Next Generation magazine went out of print.  I will read an article here and there and I still watch Yahtzee game reviews for entertainment more than what he thinks of a game.  I was a fan of Jim Sterling on Youtube, but he has become so focused on video game working conditions of late that I have stopped following him.  I do sympathize with over worked/undercompensated workers in any industry.  Things are getting worse in general for all workers across all industries in my opinion. 

I used to care about insight into the video game industry when I was going to college because I desired  to be a video game developer in those days. Reality set in for me and I realized how hard it was to get into the game industry and relocation to California did not appeal to me. I live in Maryland and there is a lot of government work in this state.  I got into software development for the federal government and that seems to have been a more sound decision for me. The work is not as glamorous as developing a video game, but it is similar work with normal work hours and decent pay. 

I do worry about how big business is treating workers across the board. I don't think game industry working conditions should be the focus of video game journalists.  Gamers want to be entertained when reading a video game focused article. Real life news about companies overworking and laying off employees is already covered via other news outlets. 

That's how I feel anyway. 

#788 w00dm4n   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   379 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:27 PM

Last of Us Re-remaster makes sense if they're porting it to PC with Mando Joel.

it would make sense. He'll be a pre-order bonus skin with a 3 month subscription to HBO Max for new users 

#789 mikespit1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1347 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:19 PM

Are there any deals happening for psn credit?

#790 Jesse_Dylan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3723 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Jesse_Dylan

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:36 PM

All this talk about this game journalist I never heard of made me want to chime in. This is all my opinion so read if you want.

I stopped following game journalists for the most part when Next Generation magazine went out of print.  I will read an article here and there and I still watch Yahtzee game reviews for entertainment more than what he thinks of a game.  I was a fan of Jim Sterling on Youtube, but he has become so focused on video game working conditions of late that I have stopped following him.  I do sympathize with over worked/undercompensated workers in any industry.  Things are getting worse in general for all workers across all industries in my opinion. 

I used to care about insight into the video game industry when I was going to college because I desired  to be a video game developer in those days. Reality set in for me and I realized how hard it was to get into the game industry and relocation to California did not appeal to me. I live in Maryland and there is a lot of government work in this state.  I got into software development for the federal government and that seems to have been a more sound decision for me. The work is not as glamorous as developing a video game, but it is similar work with normal work hours and decent pay. 

I do worry about how big business is treating workers across the board. I don't think game industry working conditions should be the focus of video game journalists.  Gamers want to be entertained when reading a video game focused article. Real life news about companies overworking and laying off employees is already covered via other news outlets. 

I'm glad I unlurked, because this has been an illuminating discussion.  What a nice summary you have here, one that I think myself and anyone can read and sort of "get it" a little from reading.  Thanks.  You did "buy" my attention mentioning Next Gen mag tho.  Were you a subscriber back when they printed the names of all subscribers on pages that said, "Next Generation Salutes Those Who GET IT."  I tore the page out that had my name, highlighted it, and put it on my wall for years with sticky tack.  I think I was in high school.

Anyway, you've done well for yourself, certainly much better than I have!  Sounds like you've had to make compromises, too, but I admire how you've navigated it.  

And of course I agree with you that labor is its own issue, a serious one.  And I understand what you're saying here, that maybe it could be kept separate.  That said, I don't know how we deal with important, serious issues, without getting people's attention, and without trying to show them how it applies to their daily lives.  But maybe we should be focusing on their daily lives rather than the daily lives of game devs.  I really don't know.  I also like Jim Sterling but have basically never watched him... ever...  So maybe I would be annoyed too.  I don't know.

Get what you're saying either way tho.  

TBH I'd be more concerned with the working and living conditions of those manufacturing the consoles (and peripherals, computer equipment used to make the games, etc.) than the working and living conditions of those creating the intellectual property. I'm not saying that abusive practices don't happen among developers--crunch was/is/will be a thing. But stacked up against the wider picture of the product cycle I doubt very much it's the most abusive part of said cycle. And in the end, the surplus value trickles upward (to shareholders and/or investors).

#Astro'sBoardroom

You are 100% correct, of course.  I would hope we are able to walk and chew gum at the same time and advocate for those folks as well (I think a broader labor movement focuses on this, not Schrier), but we don't want to turn a blind eye toward ourselves either... or the rest of the "supply chain"--  and you are still 100% correct IMO all that said

I think this is probably because advocacy seems like a novelty to you. You said yourself you don't spend a ton of time reading it. I'm on twitter all the time and people are constantly yelling at me and trying to tell me what to believe. It's my own fault to some extent; I've sought it out and gotten into those opinion spaces. That's why I'm sick of it.

I can't relate to other people telling you game devs have it great. Working 80 hours a week, even for a six figure salary, sounds like hell to me. I do think labor conditions could probably use some improvement and I bet Jason is probably doing something to help further it. That doesn't mean I want to consume or trust his writing.

Advocacy is generally a gross space to me even if it's a necessary evil because I have a very small amount of tolerance for untruth.

Okay, got you.  Even if I don't feel that way, I do get it, and as you said, maybe if I were all over the internet still, I'd feel the same way.  I guess I can't comment without knowing the specific untruths of which you speak.  I think I have a tolerance for hyperbole if I know people are suffering, and I also have a pretty broad view of suffering that not only includes people living in horrendous conditions, but also you and me, and goofy game devs driving fancy cars and working 80 hours... (although I do think the majority of the gaming industry does not make six figures... I think that's mostly the nasty CEOs and their underlings... thinking of Activision's Bobby Cotick (sp?) who has been in the news for almost as long as I've followed gaming news), but it's all over the place).

I appreciate your opinion and will be thinking about it.  I have never thought of advocacy as necessary evil... though you might be right... one of those things that should not have to  be necessary, is how I have thought about it I suppose.

You think we play games because our lives suck? I can’t even justify that with an intellectual response.

I think, in general, animals (people) "play" in order to expand their awareness.  There's also some type of make-believe involved.  We do this regardless of whether our lives suck, but if the "real" world isn't providing enough stimulation (i.e. because of crap conditions), we might be inclined to do it even more, IF we have the energy and time.  If not, we will be more like most Americans, who watch a lot of TV (something like 40 hours per week) and "play" vicariously.  Many will watch others "game" instead of doing it themselves.  But I think vicarious play is still play.

So, sure, we will probably do it regardless, whether our lives suck or not, provided we have time/agency.  I think lack of agency is why a lot of people play, and if people have less and less agency in real life, playing might help even more.  

There is also a space people can fall into, which I think is most "first-world" people, from the times of the Roman Empire and earlier until now, where we are just unhappy but pacified by whatever coping methods we've found.  I think it was Marcus Aurelius who referred to this as "bread and circus," i.e. keep people fed and "playing" (whether vicariously or not), and they can't advocate much.  I am not blaming games for being circus.  Even our bread is circus now.  It is just all meant to milk us dry while making is feel temporarily better.

I think video games provide much more value though personally!

If you are not playing games to improve your life (i.e. have fun and expand your awareness), you may need a new hobby or replacement behavior for an addiction, but I think even people who we would argue have great lives, still play to expand their awareness and make up for a lack.

If your life is great, then I hope you have the time/spirit/gumption advocate for the rest of us.  :)  Whether we are here with you or on the third-world, as was pointed out above...

Anyway, thanks everybody.  That was nice.  Reminds me why I like CAG so much.  I feel like this is a vestige of leftovers from the "old internet" before facebook and whatever else changed it.

#791 Jesse_Dylan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3723 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Jesse_Dylan

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:39 PM

And it will keep on going up and up because the source code is lost.

(Sega Saturn games)

Do you guys think emulation will solve this?  I still don't get why Sega, instead of bemoaning the lost source code, and understandably not wanting to do remakes, doesn't just try to solve the emulation problems.  Surely this generation of consoles could finally and accurately emulate Saturn games...?  Maybe they don't want to resort to selling them for $20 or in a $70 "Saturn Collection!", but ... why not?  Capcom and everyone else under the sun does it.

I missed out on a lot of Saturn games, despite having a Saturn, and I guess I'd still like to play them.  Maybe they are not actually worthwhile though.  (Says the guy who just played through Saga 1-3, i.e. Final Fantasy Legend 1-3... and Romancing Saga 1-3... in order to play the Saga Frontier Remaster... and I probably will have enjoyed my time with the Game Boy games the most, despite all the extra efforts)

#792 sp0rklez  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:41 PM

That's definitely not the remake I would have chosen. TLoU is almost 8 years old and still looks and plays fine. I would have preferred an announcement of something like The Legend of Dragoon or Legacy of Kain or something.

#793 Das_Regal   oh god CAGiversary!   1280 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:44 PM

It's not so much that I think of advocacy itself as evil, it's not. Wanting to change the world to make it a better place is a good thing. The problem is, that it's almost never done honestly, because it's in your interest to exaggerate the problem and manipulate people into thinking things are worse when you're trying to change the world. When the problem is a 7, an advocate will call it an 11.

For instance, Schreier's reports always cite specific specific examples of hardship, abuse, poor-decision making, etc. And they're pretty much always framed from the perspective of whoever he spoke to with absolutely zero external validation. No one is a completely reliable narrator of their own experience, but Schreier's reporting always assumes they are. A lot of journalism does.

I'll give you an example. Last year I led a team of writers at work that fell apart nastily, it ended with me needing to take a sabbatical for a few months. It was a crushing experience. If Schreier had interviewed me on it a few days ago, I'd tell him it was four months of grueling work, putting up with unprofessional nonsense, and awful behavior then I needed four months off of work just to get myself back in the mindset of being able to be productive again after all of the horrible behavior I saw. Yesterday I went and I looked at the dates of everything and I found out that actually, the team was only together for 2 months and my break was only from mid October to the start of December. I was so sure of what I believe happened, but my information was all wrong by a massive amount.

How much did those Cyberpunk 2077 devs really work? We'll never know. But his breathless reporting on it probably isn't right. Taking one source's word about their own life is a bad idea if you're trying to report truth.

#794 camperinabush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1745 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

camperinabush

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:47 PM

While not a first party game, Bloodborne is locked into the PS ecosystem. It would be nice for Sony to remaster/remake it for PS5, as it has not aged very well.

#795 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:50 PM

While not a first party game, Bloodborne is locked into the PS ecosystem. It would be nice for Sony to remaster/remake it for PS5, as it has not aged very well.

I'm pretty sure Bloodborne is a first party game, and it definitely could use a remaster.  Unfortunately it probably doesn't pass the blockbuster criteria.

#796 CrepeNuts  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:13 PM

I'm pretty sure Bloodborne is a first party game, and it definitely could use a remaster. Unfortunately it probably doesn't pass the blockbuster criteria.

It’s exclusive, but not first party. From Software just published Bloodborne with Sony.

#797 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:39 PM

It’s exclusive, but not first party. From Software just published Bloodborne with Sony.

Oh yeah, I see Japan Studio (RIP) and first party mentioned so often with BB that I forget about FromSoftware actually doing the development.  Does FromSotware own the Bloodborne IP?  Microsoft should swoop in with the money bags and make Bloodborne 2 an Xbox exclusive.

When it's exclusive it makes the distinction less obvious to me.  I haven't seen anybody call Demon's Souls remake a third party game even though Sony doesn't own Bluepoint.

#798 camperinabush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1745 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

camperinabush

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:55 PM

Oh yeah, I see Japan Studio (RIP) and first party mentioned so often with BB that I forget about FromSoftware actually doing the development. Does FromSotware own the Bloodborne IP? Microsoft should swoop in with the money bags and make Bloodborne 2 an Xbox exclusive.

When it's exclusive it makes the distinction less obvious to me. I haven't seen anybody call Demon's Souls remake a third party game even though Sony doesn't own Bluepoint.

Sony does own the rights to Bloodborne, as well as the Demon’s Souls IP. I hope Bluepoint will remake Bloodborne since Japan Studio is no more.

#799 entexman  

entexman

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:07 PM

I'm glad I unlurked, because this has been an illuminating discussion.  What a nice summary you have here, one that I think myself and anyone can read and sort of "get it" a little from reading.  Thanks.  You did "buy" my attention mentioning Next Gen mag tho.  Were you a subscriber back when they printed the names of all subscribers on pages that said, "Next Generation Salutes Those Who GET IT."  I tore the page out that had my name, highlighted it, and put it on my wall for years with sticky tack.  I think I was in high school.

Anyway, you've done well for yourself, certainly much better than I have!  Sounds like you've had to make compromises, too, but I admire how you've navigated it.  

And of course I agree with you that labor is its own issue, a serious one.  And I understand what you're saying here, that maybe it could be kept separate.  That said, I don't know how we deal with important, serious issues, without getting people's attention, and without trying to show them how it applies to their daily lives.  But maybe we should be focusing on their daily lives rather than the daily lives of game devs.  I really don't know.  I also like Jim Sterling but have basically never watched him... ever...  So maybe I would be annoyed too.  I don't know.

Get what you're saying either way tho.  

Thanks for coming out of lurking to voice your opinion. You brought up some excellent points.  I agree with you that is good to bring these working condition issues up in all forms of media.  

I loved Next Generation. My favorite video game magazine for sure. I was a subscriber to Next Generation through it's run. That was really awesome of them list subscribers like that.  

As far as doing well for myself I feel incredibly blessed that things worked out the way they did for me. I grew up poor and was in the military before I started realizing I needed to finish my college degree so I could get a programming job which is what I really wanted to do for a living. I am still coding after 24+ years.  So far I have avoided getting promoted to my level of incompetence .  

You may not be bothered by Jim Sterlings newer videos like I was. I did watch quite a few of Jim's gaming industry work practices videos over the last several months. The problem is that's predominately what he has been producing for quite some time.  I prefer his videos where he plays bad Steam/PS4 games. Some of those play throughs make me laugh out loud quite often. I occasionally go back and re-watch some of these videos.  Like I said I like being entertained when I am consuming video game related media.  

#800 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   437 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:50 PM

(Sega Saturn games)

Do you guys think emulation will solve this? 

We've been through a few console generations already where it's been shown emulated rereleases don't really impact the value of rare collector titles. The people willing to spend super money on physical originals want the physical originals.. it's not about the play experience, it's about the nostalgia and having those collector items. In some cases emulated rereleases actually cause the value of originals to spike higher.

Emulation is the solution as far as being able to actually play these titles you may never otherwise get access to.. it always has been. And it will continue to progress, whether or not Sega and other IP owners are behind it. Actually, it most likely won't be Sega or other IP owners who will be doing it.

#801 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:28 PM

We've been through a few console generations already where it's been shown emulated rereleases don't really impact the value of rare collector titles. The people willing to spend super money on physical originals want the physical originals.. it's not about the play experience, it's about the nostalgia and having those collector items. In some cases emulated rereleases actually cause the value of originals to spike higher.

Yeah, Saturn game prices keep going up even though it's easier now than ever to play them 100% accurately on Saturn hardware without the discs thanks to multiple ODE options.

#802 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6563 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:03 AM

That's true.  Companies are more and more about squeezing every penny out of employees.  It especially sucks for us front line workers since the companies were making record profits.  My place did give out small bonuses of 1-2 dollars extra per hour worked. But then they cut everyones hours due to the pandemic rules so we had to close at 7/8 instead of 9. So I went down to working 21-25 hours a week after losing the 5-10 hours I would usually get. 

#803 soonerdoc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   909 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:47 AM

Don’t think anyone is anti-advocacy. 

Point is, it’s hard to trust a reported story when the journalist is so obviously biased by his own personal and political beliefs.

#804 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   15749 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:34 AM

That's definitely not the remake I would have chosen. TLoU is almost 8 years old and still looks and plays fine. I would have preferred an announcement of something like The Legend of Dragoon or Legacy of Kain or something.

Lol, this means it will average a remaster every 3 years? :roll:

I mean, I'm not surprised since they'd rather remaster games three times over for a quick cash grab rather than support those games with BC. At least when they did that with Shadows of the Colossus it had been almost a decade. . .

#805 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1091 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2021 - 01:16 PM

it would make sense. He'll be a pre-order bonus skin with a 3 month subscription to HBO Max for new users 

Other way around, Mando will be the default skin and if we're lucky original low-poly Joel will be the pre-order bonus.

#806 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1091 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2021 - 01:48 PM

Not a defense of Sony, but at least if the Sony servers go down on PS3 (and I would assume similarly with PS4 in the future), it will be after the storefronts and multiplayer services go down. I.e. at that point there will be no downside to using CFW, as there will be no servers to get banned from. 

#807 iamsmart2  

iamsmart2

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:04 PM

I bought a Toshiba 1TB laptop HDD drive from Best Buy a few years ago, I don't think it's still being made though.

A Western Digital or Seagate 1TB would likely be your best bet (links below for reference):

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6164934

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=9314126

Thank you for the recs. So... I bought a 2TB Seagate Barracuda, and it doesn't seem to work; I'm getting a message saying 'the installed hard disk is not supported'. I'm hearing mixed things about the maximum HDD space the PS3 can handle - does anyone else have a 2TB model installed, or should I just return and go for the 1 TB?

#808 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1727 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:51 PM

Thank you for the recs. So... I bought a 2TB Seagate Barracuda, and it doesn't seem to work; I'm getting a message saying 'the installed hard disk is not supported'. I'm hearing mixed things about the maximum HDD space the PS3 can handle - does anyone else have a 2TB model installed, or should I just return and go for the 1 TB?

Glad I could be of help. Last I saw when I researched before upgrading is 1.5TB. So you will likely need to return it and get a 1TB HDD.

Edit: Had a funny looking typo, lol.

#809 Combatking   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   75 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Combatking

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:19 PM

Are there any deals happening for psn credit?

I'm looking too and I have not seen anything yet unfortunately.

#810 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4415 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:55 AM

Just an alert for everyone, apparently Sony is disabling downloading patches for games on the PS3. No idea how many but it seems like it just started, people are starting to go through their games now to see.

https://www.resetera...mes-now.408426/