* * * * - 6 votes

Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

#1051 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4348 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 04:23 AM

Returnal looks good but I'm not paying $70, I'll wait till it's cheaper like I did with Matterfall, Alienation & Nex Machina.

#1052 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1075 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 04:53 AM

I wonder if Returnal will kill Housemarque for good.  They stopped making cheap arcade style shooters because the sales were so bad, and now nobody wants to buy their big budget shooter.

#1053 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   426 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted Today, 04:54 AM

Looks like a solid $15-$20 title.

Jesus Christ we as gamers are a spoiled bunch. What a sad side effect of gaming going mass-market.  [-(

#1054 Wheeelson  

Wheeelson

Posted Today, 04:58 AM

I wonder if Returnal will kill Housemarque for good.  They stopped making cheap arcade style shooters because the sales were so bad, and now nobody wants to buy their big budget shooter.

It's really not even that. I can't speak on the others, though I do know LRG completely overpriced at least one of them, its just that Returnal is not a triple A game, yet not only is being priced as one, but OVERPRICED as one too. I think it would have done pretty well if it retailed for $30-$40 at most, but it would've bombed hard at $60, and will completely bomb at $70 similar to Godfall. By the time it hits the 30-40 range, people will have forgotten about it.

#1055 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5981 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 05:08 AM

I was looking forward to Returnal, but after seeing that preview and looking at what that developer has produced in the past ... definitely a wait and see for me. No way to justify a $70 purchase ... man, I can’t wait for E3, really hoping for some games that make me want to pay $70 at launch without hesitation by the end of this year.

#1056 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2262 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted Today, 05:24 AM

You can argue all you want whether the $70 price for major games is justified this gen, but I don't see how people don't see that as a full sized game.  It looks pretty damn good, definitely in the realm of your average triple A faire.  And no one knows the length of the game or the complexity of the rogue like aspects.  We just know they in the past released more bite sized games.  If the game turns out decent length, and the roguelike elements mix things up enough to make it feel different on replays, this game could turn out to have lots of long term replayability.

I definitely understand the desire to wait and see if it lives up to this, but not the writing it off as budget quality.

#1057 deszaras   Omnis Vir Lupus CAGiversary!   1538 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

deszaras

Posted Today, 05:42 AM

I just got a PS4 again after not having one for a year and a half. I’d haven’t played many JRPGs in my life and Final Fantasy has done nothing for me. Persona 5 has intrigued me and I see it’s on sale for $10 but so is the Royal Deluxe edition for $20 more. Since I’ve never played them before would I be better off with the original one?

#1058 Montybg  

Posted Today, 06:18 AM

I just got a PS4 again after not having one for a year and a half. I’d haven’t played many JRPGs in my life and Final Fantasy has done nothing for me. Persona 5 has intrigued me and I see it’s on sale for $10 but so is the Royal Deluxe edition for $20 more. Since I’ve never played them before would I be better off with the original one?

I think if you're not sold, the $10 price might be right. But Royal is the base game with a ton of added material. So if you think you'll like it, I'd spring for Royal.

#1059 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4348 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 06:25 AM

I was looking forward to Returnal, but after seeing that preview and looking at what that developer has produced in the past ... definitely a wait and see for me. No way to justify a $70 purchase ... man, I can’t wait for E3, really hoping for some games that make me want to pay $70 at launch without hesitation by the end of this year.

If you like Silent Hill, it's coming.

#1060 eternalblue81   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   74 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

eternalblue81

Posted Today, 06:47 AM

Even putting aside the fact that Royal has an extra semester's worth of content assuming you spend time with the new confidants, there's so many quality of life improvements that eliminate some of the more annoying aspects of playing Persona 5, I would never recommend the original.

Go with Royal.

#1061 Das_Regal   oh god CAGiversary!   1235 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 06:55 AM

Returnal looks good but I'm not paying $70, I'll wait till it's cheaper like I did with Matterfall, Alienation & Nex Machina.

Sounds like someone who really needs to get out of their bubble. Just go to the PS5 subreddit. Tons of people salivating to pay $70.

#1062 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4733 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 11:39 AM

Even putting aside the fact that Royal has an extra semester's worth of content assuming you spend time with the new confidants, there's so many quality of life improvements that eliminate some of the more annoying aspects of playing Persona 5, I would never recommend the original.

Go with Royal.

I was concerned about that. Here's where I'm personally torn... I got P5 launch steelbook near launch years ago. I opened it, ready to play it. Life happened and it went in a backlog of games. Now that P5R is out, I skipped it because I don't double dip on games I own, especially since I had already opened my original copy. I'd probably buy P5R if I didn't open mine, leaving my first copy in my sealed games pile. 

What is so drastic in the QOL department, not including any DLC/expansions?

#1063 SackAttack   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   868 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

SackAttack

Posted Today, 12:35 PM

I was concerned about that. Here's where I'm personally torn... I got P5 launch steelbook near launch years ago. I opened it, ready to play it. Life happened and it went in a backlog of games. Now that P5R is out, I skipped it because I don't double dip on games I own, especially since I had already opened my original copy. I'd probably buy P5R if I didn't open mine, leaving my first copy in my sealed games pile.

What is so drastic in the QOL department, not including any DLC/expansions?

Morgana isn't nearly as big a sleep monitor. You can do things at your pace, not his.

#1064 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10759 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 01:45 PM

So Sony now came out and says that Plus Video thing is being tested in Poland for a year. No word on other regions. Has 15 movies and 6 TV series. Nothing to write home about.

https://www.ign.com/...plus-video-pass

#1065 Series M  

Posted Today, 01:51 PM

So Sony now came out and says that Plus Video thing is being tested in Poland for a year. No word on other regions. Has 15 movies and 6 TV series. Nothing to write home about.

https://www.ign.com/...plus-video-pass

Sounds like it still will have more stuff to watch than Paramount Plus has. =-P

• 62t likes this

#1066 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3941 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 01:57 PM

Blows my mind how people don’t think Returnal is a $70 game. Not everything is $15-20 bucks.

#1067 Series M  

Posted Today, 02:27 PM

Blows my mind how people don’t think Returnal is a $70 game. Not everything is $15-20 bucks.

Just because it is a $70 game to you does not mean everyone else feels the same way. If it is a must play game for you and you want to buy it day one for full price that is great. But also if it does not look like a game you would not enjoy that much and will wait a year or two when you can get it for cheaper or free on PS+ that is okay too! This is why so many different game genres exist, not everyone enjoys the same thing.

#1068 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10759 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 02:35 PM

Nothing is a $70 game. They should still be $60.

#1069 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70930 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted Today, 02:40 PM

https://blog.playsta...multiplayer-ip/

Sony announced a publishing partnership with Firewalk Studios to make a new, original multiplayer IP. The team is made up of former Destiny devs, including the Creative Director of the original game.

#1070 deszaras   Omnis Vir Lupus CAGiversary!   1538 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

deszaras

Posted Today, 02:48 PM

Go with Royal.

That’s the consensus I keep reading. Am I correct in that it also reduces grinding in the game as well?

#1071 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70930 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted Today, 02:57 PM

#1072 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   3741 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 03:03 PM

I think Returnal looks great and it is my type of game. I'm very excited for its release.

I have the game preordered at Target with some circle rewards, 10% off video game coupon they had and a gift card I got from the holidays. With that I'm paying $58 for the game but nothing out of pocket for me, so its a win-win.

I just wish Target offered release day delivery.

#1073 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70930 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted Today, 03:07 PM

#1074 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1002 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 03:15 PM

No one should be willing to spend $60 for a videogame in this day and age. It's harmful to the industry, as people buy fewer games, and mostly only big triple-A titles from developers that can afford to spend a few hundred million on a game to stuff it with "content" to make it worth the $60 tag. 

Those developers end up with absurd profit returns, while others with smaller budgets struggle. With the development numbers so large, it leads to way less innovation and experimentation. Even though Rockstar can easily expect to quadruple a few hundred million in development costs with a GTA release, if a big studio ends up releasing a flop at those development costs, they can go under. So you end up with extremely conservative publishers sticking to worn-out and boring ideas that they're sure will sell. 

Far from the idea some people here are spouting that gamers are "greedy" for being unwilling to spend $70 on a game, if consumers were more reasonable in what they were willing to spend, we'd be in a far better place in the industry. There's no reason why the industry can't remain incredibly healthy and profitable with even $20 games, if people were willing then to buy more games rather than being used to sticking it out for a few giant triple-A $60 titles every year.

If I got my entertainment through television or movies, I can buy a top-selling 40 inch HDTV for $150 and pay $9 a month to watch content that costs far more than videogames do to produce. A decade ago, the TV would have been $1000 and renting a single movie a week would have cost me $30 a month. 

The difference is that far more people are watching television than playing games. But that's the point: the cost of games should be going down with the increase in gamers, because higher volume means you can get the same profits at lower marginal rates. But it hasn't, and that's a serious problem. If there are four times as many gamers now than there were 20 years ago, game prices should be down by a factor of four. They aren't, they've been steady at $60 while people in the industry spread misinformation that somehow videogames should "keep up with inflation", as if serving up another zero-marginal-cost digital download is the same thing as harvesting another gallon of milk.

Video game prices should not be keeping up with inflation, they should be going dramatically down as the world gets far more and more gamers, and the reality of their failure to go dramatically down manifests itself in harmful conservatism and creative stagnation in big publishers.

Edit: Of course, the reality I think is that a lot of gamers aren't willing to pay $60 for a game, and the publishers know this. Which is why even a few weeks after release, games can plummet in price. The publishers are just smartly grabbing outrageous launch prices from the people who are willing to pay anything to get the game on day one, and then crashing the price to actually sustainable levels a few weeks later so they can continue making money from the rest of gamers. But if the majority of their profits still come from the day-one sales to people paying outrageous prices, then those consumers still drive the trends in the industry, like boring by-the-numbers first-person shooters.

#1075 erikjo  

Posted Today, 03:24 PM

Very well said.

#1076 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5483 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 03:30 PM

Sounds like someone who really needs to get out of their bubble. Just go to the PS5 subreddit. Tons of people salivating to pay $70.

Just randomly curious, but have you by chance looked at the name of the website you’re currently on recently?

#1077 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2852 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted Today, 04:19 PM

Very well said.

Lol. Well said lunatic ramblings sure.

#1078 Sporkis   Barley Legal CAGiversary!   1813 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 04:21 PM

Nothing is a $70 game. They should still be $60.

Most aren't even worth to be $60 now adays.  I'm looking at you EA & 2K sport titles.

#1079 The Ebbtide   Hi. CAGiversary!   1726 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

The Ebbtide

Posted Today, 04:28 PM

I think there's only a few more hours left to claim the free Play at Home games.  

https://store.playst...-ba0fdf042e6c/1