* * * - - 8 votes

Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

#1351 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1058 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2021 - 03:09 PM

There definitely is a cost benefit. We aren't in the 6502 era, videogames don't just call to the underlying ISA, they have to go through all sorts of OS services. There are services that PS4 games use that PS5 games don't, and supporting those costs money, more than just supporting the PS5 services (and spending the money introducing new services future PS5 games can take advantage of).

Ever fiddle with hardware that's come out after several hardware and software revisions and look at a table of which is the earliest firmware you can load on your particular SKU? That's because someone has to put in the work and effort of making the software compatible with the new hardware. 

Indeed, we may even see something where "PS5 Next-gen UI 2.0" doesn't support PS4 BC and is installed on all the new revision consoles. "PS5 Next-gen UI 2.0 adds a bunch of great new features but removes support for PS4 backwards compatibility" etc. All they have to do is present it as a trade-off for "new features" and most consumers will gladly go along weighing the cost/benefit of upgrading. I already know what the defensive posts will say: "they aren't taking away anything from you, you can choose to upgrade to the new OS or keep the old one with BC support, you're so entitled". Then a year or so later when most people have upgraded they can quietly drop support for the old software entirely. 

Everything costs money. Microsoft obsessively makes sure things are backwards compatible because that's their company culture, but other companies don't. There are plenty of old iOS apps you can't install on a new iPhone, despite those phone's chips still supporting the entire ISA of the earlier phones. And in addition to the expense of obsession with BC, it comes with its flaws: like Windows 10 having at least four contradictory design languages among its applications.

#1352 rpgaymer  

rpgaymer

Posted 08 May 2021 - 08:35 PM

Bunch of vita games showing up at 99cents on psprices today. Looks to be permanent price drops and not just a temporary discount or sale. I'm going to dust off my vita and pick up Grass Cutters, Steam Tactics and Awesome Pea 1&2 later tonight. Lots of games with easy platinum trophies among the selection, if that's your thing.

#1353 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3784 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 08 May 2021 - 09:31 PM

It is a sale; the company Sometimes You is advertising it as their last sale for the system, on account of the news that no new games will be released digitally after July.

#1354 AoA   Ace of Aces CAGiversary!   1843 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:37 PM

Also, Resogun and Entwined are showing up as FREE on the Vita storefront.

I have them already but it actually says FREE and not a price.  Other games I own have a price next to the download button.

I guess, YMMV

#1355 trchavez416  

trchavez416

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:48 PM

I’m looking to upgrade my hdd on a super slim ps3 (16gb model). Is 2tb the max? I’ve been looking at a 1tb Toshiba HDWL110UZSVA (L200), 1tb WD 10SPZX, or 2tb WD 20SPZX. They’re all 2.5 Sata drives… Any suggestions?

From what I remember, you can install any capacity 2.5” SATA drive into the PS3, but it won’t properly recognize anything greater than 2TB. Not only that, there were reports that even if you could successfully install a 2TB drive, the system would only ever recognize 1.5TB of that, so you’re essentially wasting 500GB of space for no reason. There were also rumors that larger capacity drives were prone to corruption and force you to completely reformat and wipe the drive consistently. If you’re looking for a nice balance of price, speed upgrade and capacity, I’d probably go with a 1TB Firecuda SSHD: it’s faster than a normal hard drive, much more space than the built-in 16GB and it’s usually on sale for under $100, depending on whether you get it from Amazon or Newegg or somewhere else. Check it out: Seagate FireCuda 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive Performance SSHD – 2.5 Inch SATA 6GB/s Flash Accelerated for Gaming PC Laptop - Frustration Free Packaging (ST1000LX015) https://smile.amazon...MPSVW1VD2VBZ501

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1356 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5849 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:16 AM

I have them already but it actually says FREE and not a price.  Other games I own have a price next to the download button.

I guess, YMMV

Those are crossbuy games. I think both were on PS+, so if you claimed them, you get the Vita versions. I believe they're even permanent licenses, but I might be wrong.

#1357 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71076 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 09 May 2021 - 12:19 AM

I guess, YMMV

If you got Resogun via PS+, they made the PS3 and Vita ports later Cross Buy, so they're free and they remove the PS+ requirement for the PS4 version. Entwined also had PS3/Vita versions release later that are free via Cross Buy.

#1358 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6330 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:18 AM

From what I remember, you can install any capacity 2.5” SATA drive into the PS3, but it won’t properly recognize anything greater than 2TB. Not only that, there were reports that even if you could successfully install a 2TB drive, the system would only ever recognize 1.5TB of that, so you’re essentially wasting 500GB of space for no reason. There were also rumors that larger capacity drives were prone to corruption and force you to completely reformat and wipe the drive consistently. If you’re looking for a nice balance of price, speed upgrade and capacity, I’d probably go with a 1TB Firecuda SSHD: it’s faster than a normal hard drive, much more space than the built-in 16GB and it’s usually on sale for under $100, depending on whether you get it from Amazon or Newegg or somewhere else. Check it out: Seagate FireCuda 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive Performance SSHD – 2.5 Inch SATA 6GB/s Flash Accelerated for Gaming PC Laptop - Frustration Free Packaging (ST1000LX015) https://smile.amazon...MPSVW1VD2VBZ501

Thank you for this. I'll have to keep it in mind.  Any recommendations on an external?

#1359 trchavez416  

trchavez416

Posted 09 May 2021 - 04:25 AM

Thank you for this. I'll have to keep it in mind. Any recommendations on an external?

I think this thread explains upgrading the drive in a PS3 much better than I can:

https://www.reddit.c...utm_name=iossmf

As far as external drives are concerned, it’s a lot like cars, computers and musical instruments: they all perform the same function, so it’s just a matter of what brand you personally prefer. For example, Seagate had a huge scandal on their hands back in 2012-13 because a not-small number of their hard drives had the unfortunate tendency to fail in Apple’s 27-inch iMac line, so the tech world was wary of them for a long time afterwards. Personally, though, I’ve had a 2TB portable Seagate external hard drive as the primary backup source for my Apple laptops since 2012 and have never had a problem with it. On the flip side, Samsung and Crucial have two of the most lauded SSDs currently on the market, but I’ve seen more than my fair share of them fail, some with as little as 60 power-on hours. Drives fail: it’s a simple fact of technology. The best way to protect yourself from that inevitable outcome is to have at least two current backups on two different storage devices (an external HD and the cloud, for example).

Getting back to the point (sorry, the Apple tech who’s seen way too much came out for a moment there), if you’re looking for pure storage, one of Western Digital, Seagate, LaCie, Hitachi and/or Samsung will make an excellent quality drive your personality fits with. Just be cautious as PS3s don’t always recognize externals larger than 3TB if it’s not formatted correctly: I believe it has to be setup as FAT32. If you’re looking to play games off the external and want it to be as spiffy as possible, look for one of the above companies’ external SSDs to use (though they’re a bit more expensive than a normal external HD) or consider buying an internal SSD (either SATA or M2) along with an appropriate, cheap external enclosure to serve as a makeshift game drive. The PS3’s USB parts are only 2.0 speed, but load times, rendering and other aspects of downloaded games should show marked improvement over even a 7200rpm hard drive. Hope this helps! If I screwed up or overlooked something somewhere, please feel free to chime in and correct me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1360 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5589 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:23 AM

I think this thread explains upgrading the drive in a PS3 much better than I can:

As far as external drives are concerned, it’s a lot like cars, computers and musical instruments: they all perform the same function, so it’s just a matter of what brand you personally prefer. For example, Seagate had a huge scandal on their hands back in 2012-13 because a not-small number of their hard drives had the unfortunate tendency to fail in Apple’s 27-inch iMac line, so the tech world was wary of them for a long time afterwards. Personally, though, I’ve had a 2TB portable Seagate external hard drive as the primary backup source for my Apple laptops since 2012 and have never had a problem with it. On the flip side, Samsung and Crucial have two of the most lauded SSDs currently on the market, but I’ve seen more than my fair share of them fail, some with as little as 60 power-on hours. Drives fail: it’s a simple fact of technology. The best way to protect yourself from that inevitable outcome is to have at least two current backups on two different storage devices (an external HD and the cloud, for example).

Getting back to the point (sorry, the Apple tech who’s seen way too much came out for a moment there), if you’re looking for pure storage, one of Western Digital, Seagate, LaCie, Hitachi and/or Samsung will make an excellent quality drive your personality fits with. Just be cautious as PS3s don’t always recognize externals larger than 3TB if it’s not formatted correctly: I believe it has to be setup as FAT32. If you’re looking to play games off the external and want it to be as spiffy as possible, look for one of the above companies’ external SSDs to use (though they’re a bit more expensive than a normal external HD) or consider buying an internal SSD (either SATA or M2) along with an appropriate, cheap external enclosure to serve as a makeshift game drive. The PS3’s USB parts are only 2.0 speed, but load times, rendering and other aspects of downloaded games should show marked improvement over even a 7200rpm hard drive. Hope this helps! If I screwed up or overlooked something somewhere, please feel free to chime in and correct me!

I back up all my data on cassette.

#1361 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   596 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:26 AM

Thank you for your insights! Can you use an external with PS3 like with PS4? I thought that wasn’t possible.
Either way, replacing the hdd in the 16gb model needs to happen!

#1362 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6330 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:26 AM

And then when you rewind to a previous saved state you are using a #2 pencil

trchavez416  thanks for the info.  I'll probably pick up a wd one since I've had good luck with those. I've already formatted one before when I replaced the harddrive in my phat 40gb with one from my old laptop so at least that much I am aware of. 

#1363 trchavez416  

trchavez416

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:31 AM

I still think Betamax is gonna beat out VHS, tbh…

#1364 Sporkis   Barley Legal CAGiversary!   1837 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:30 AM

I just finally got around to putting a SSD into my PS3 slim last week, a Samsung Evo 870 500gb.  I never used the full 250gb that was originally in there so I figured a 500gb would do me.  The process was easy & plainless, decided to give a good cleaning as well.  Only booted it up to see if it was working correctly so haven't gotten around to actually use it yet to see a difference.  Now I also have another 500gb to put into the super slim model I still have sealed in box (though not for much longer I guess) in storage as a backup.

#1365 Sporkis   Barley Legal CAGiversary!   1837 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:32 AM

If you got Resogun via PS+, they made the PS3 and Vita ports later Cross Buy, so they're free and they remove the PS+ requirement for the PS4 version. Entwined also had PS3/Vita versions release later that are free via Cross Buy.

Yeah, I've had a handful of games like that.

#1366 darthbster31   Herpaderp CAGiversary!   295 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

darthbster31

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:28 PM

You cannot play PS3 games on an external HDD. Only can do that if you mod the system.

#1367 Jesse_Dylan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3707 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Jesse_Dylan

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:17 PM

Some of the arguments you guys get into, I tell ya.  Kudos to some of the really interesting and informational posts added to the discussion tho.  Other than that, it did seem like some folks were just picking a side and saying anything they could to support it.  Maybe it ain't always about logic.  But being an emotional lurker this time, I learned a thing or two.

#1368 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6330 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:05 PM

You cannot play PS3 games on an external HDD. Only can do that if you mod the system.

That's a shame.

#1369 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8446 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:16 PM

Bunch of vita games showing up at 99cents on psprices today. Looks to be permanent price drops and not just a temporary discount or sale. I'm going to dust off my vita and pick up Grass Cutters, Steam Tactics and Awesome Pea 1&2 later tonight. Lots of games with easy platinum trophies among the selection, if that's your thing.

It is a sale; the company Sometimes You is advertising it as their last sale for the system, on account of the news that no new games will be released digitally after July.

I wish all of these games were cross-buy, but they aren't.  And if you're looking for a fun game to add to the list, get Sigi.  It's like Ghosts 'N Goblins meets Super Mario Bros with farts. 

#1370 gunstar808   Capitalism, Ho! CAGiversary!   1235 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 05:01 AM

How do you buy the Vita games now? 

#1371 Ervgotti85   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1139 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 05:15 AM

How do you buy the Vita games now?

PS3, Vita, or PSTv.

#1372 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71076 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 10 May 2021 - 05:29 PM

#1373 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10561 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:35 PM

That is one of the hardest IG messages I've ever read haha. 

#1374 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5589 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:17 PM

That is one of the hardest IG messages I've ever read haha.

How many messages do you get from IndieGala?

#1375 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3784 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:18 PM

I thought it was saying "play *as* the lemur."

#1376 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3784 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:02 AM

I played a little of Supermash today, but just when I was getting into it the game crashed. Is that gonna be relatively common?

#1377 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   826 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 11 May 2021 - 02:19 AM

I played a little of Supermash today, but just when I was getting into it the game crashed. Is that gonna be relatively common?

Only crashed for me a couple of times, so I wouldn't say it's too common unless you're really unlucky. The game is a bit buggy though.

#1378 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3784 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 11 May 2021 - 05:11 AM

Now I'm on the second story mission (a shmup/RPG mash), and every time I try, one of the random battles will fail to end after all the enemies stop spawning. I've been forced to restart about a dozen times already. I want to like this game, but it's off to a terrible start.

#1379 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71076 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:38 PM

Days of Play Celebration Sale

A Days of Play sale will kick off later this month, and the sale will feature PS4 and PS5 software titles, other select products, and more. Products on offer and prices will vary by region. We’ll have more details to share soon, so stay tuned!

Free Online Multiplayer Weekend

If you haven’t tried the online multiplayer benefit for PlayStation Plus yet, later this month, we’re hosting a free online multiplayer weekend where you’ll be able to access the online multiplayer modes in PS4 and PS5 games that you own. (Online multiplayer game sold separately. Requires internet connection and PlayStation Network account.)

#1380 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3840 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2021 - 12:27 PM

Extended play sale starts today.

https://blog.playsta...ystation-store/