* * - - - 5 votes

Best Buy's new "Beta" program

#1 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9620 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:17 PM

for betas.  You can't make this stuff up.  

It's $200/yr for a subscription program that does things. Things like "extended returns" and  "free shipping" that you used to remember getting from free shipping and standard 30-day returns. 

Best Buy launches a new $200 membership program to fight Amazon

Best Buy's new Beta program promises concierge tech support for $200 a year

Best Buy Piloting Paid Membership Program in Select Markets

#2 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7091 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:23 PM

#notmyGCU

#3 Twilightsparkle  

Twilightsparkle

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:24 PM

As an ‘elite’ I already have extended returns & free shipping so I don’t know who would get this.

#4 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9620 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:25 PM

As an ‘elite’ I already have extended returns & free shipping so I don’t know who would get this.

but they will answer the phones for you now, or web chat with you, through "Concierge team" service if you're a member.

#5 Sporkis   Barley Legal CAGiversary!   1835 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:29 PM

#6 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   4019 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:30 PM

If they gave a year long return period I would get this, otherwise I'll just buy the best buy protection plan wherever I see appropriate.

I mean ffs I was able to get a "2-year accidental geek squad protection" for my PS5 for $70. Maybe I'm wrong, but if anything happens to it within that 2 year period, I can just return it for a new PS5 or get that amount on a gift card (unless I'm confusing this with another best buy plan).

#7 coolduck   super cool duck CAGiversary!   537 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

coolduck

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:35 PM

customer service, now for the low-low price of 200 bucks per year

this might literally be best buy's attempt at "maybe the customer has so many subscriptions they dont cancel that they wont notice another one"

#8 marineal   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1625 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

marineal

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:38 PM

What a ripoff. 

#9 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   6104 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:47 PM

Pay the $200 and then create a YouTube show where you call in daily with ridiculous and outlandish tech support questions. #Profit

#10 Twilightsparkle  

Twilightsparkle

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:15 AM

but they will answer the phones for you now, or web chat with you, through "Concierge team" service if you're a member.

I have never needed tech help.  

And my most recent laptop purchases have been through Costco who include concierge service. And a Costco membership is only $60, plus you can usually get the laptop cheaper there.  

#11 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:17 AM

Since when is this a news forum? This has nothing to do with video game deals.

#12 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24061 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:23 AM

This program is def deserves to be called beta.

#13 ackbar7   Flamble CAGiversary!   3323 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:26 AM

This sounds terrible

#14 roguejedi5   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1571 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

roguejedi5

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:53 AM

This sounds way better than their total tech support program which is also $200.  

#15 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3397 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:30 AM

RIP, BB.

#16 super1upqueen   Shinobi Student CAGiversary!   227 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

super1upqueen

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:47 AM

So, $200 a year to not get an unhelpful call center every time I contact them?

Yeah, I made the right choice to stop shopping at Best Buy.

#17 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2410 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:01 AM

So much hope clicking on thread...

...so much disappointment upon entering thread.

#18 Hypebeast69  

Hypebeast69

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:56 AM

Rip Off Club Unlocked

#19 ecwfan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   526 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:52 AM

Since when is this a news forum? This has nothing to do with video game deals.

Wario 64 said that one store had Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory for $40 if you had the membership.

#20 officeofpresident   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   130 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

officeofpresident

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:52 PM

In for 10!

#21 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2913 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:18 PM

What percent off video games do you get?

#22 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1025 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

Zero! What? Zero is a percent. -Newspaper tour rep

#23 IAMSAM34  

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:06 PM

10% code on your birthday.

#24 Gore   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   659 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:31 PM

GCU >>>>> beta-club

#25 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2280 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:53 PM

I'm not sure who buys enough tech but still needs that amount of hand-holding to justify $200 a year.  Sure there are some people that will need installation and delivery as well as tech support, and $200 for a year might be cheaper than paying individually.  But as an ongoing charge?  Nah.

They want to put it as their version of Amazon Prime.  But, Amazon Prime gives you a good quality streaming service along with free shipping and some other things.

However, I see something a bit more sinister under the surface.  They point out no minimum free shipping, extended return periods which you already get with My Best Buy Elite.  Might this be the first step towards taking those away or downgrading them for Elite?  Maybe this new service is a way for people to straight up buy the Elite benefits without spending $1500 a year.  Or it might be the first step in trying to get people to pay for them (beyond just spending a certain amount).  I'm sure they will put the hard sell on it in store if you buy a laptop or TV.

#26 Gore   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   659 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:12 PM

Pay to get all the things BestBuy used to do, at no additional charge.

Pay to get what other businesses already have included.

Pay to get ripped off.

Pay to not have a streaming service.

Pay to get 0% off games.

They want to put it as their version of Amazon Prime.  But, Amazon Prime gives you a good quality streaming service along with free shipping and some other things.

However, I see something a bit more sinister under the surface.  They point out no minimum free shipping, extended return periods which you already get with My Best Buy Elite.  Might this be the first step towards taking those away or downgrading them for Elite?  Maybe this new service is a way for people to straight up buy the Elite benefits without spending $1500 a year.  Or it might be the first step in trying to get people to pay for them (beyond just spending a certain amount).  I'm sure they will put the hard sell on it in store if you buy a laptop or TV.

I agree.

I wouldn't mind if it was a way to "straight up buy the Elite benefits". This would work if they completely remove the $1500 requirement to gain elite.

Let's just put the standard back in play: 30-day returns, free s&h at $30ish, quality customer service for phone and online, concierge tech support as long as the warranty (the manufacture and extended) is valid.

This seems to be like when MS attempted to double the price of gold: only increasing the cost with zero benefit to us, the consumer.

Does anyone feel like this is when a website "needs" to charge you to remove something from the site because of bandwidth costs?

#27 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9620 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:11 PM

I'm not sure who buys enough tech but still needs that amount of hand-holding to justify $200 a year.  Sure there are some people that will need installation and delivery as well as tech support, and $200 for a year might be cheaper than paying individually.  But as an ongoing charge?  Nah.

Pretty much. It's worse than it actually is; it's paying for benefits(regular customer service) that used to be obtainable for free.  That would be horrible if they took away those benefits from Elite and Elite Plus status. 

Most importantly the thing about this model is:  Sell subs to people --> Figure out what the membership entails later. 

It's just like the Activision / EA model for making video games; design a revenue model and then put out serialized games + DLC to support it (that succeed simply due to the brand name, its following, and sometimes paid exclusivity). 

#28 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2913 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:26 PM

Zero! What? Zero is a percent. -Newspaper tour rep

0% is indeed a percent. Gonna need it to be closer to 60% to get me to pay $200 per year.

10% code on your birthday.

We already get that without Beta. Or is the birthday coupon moving exclusively to Beta?

#29 Moses144   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   640 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:37 PM

Seems they might be aggressive about this. I watched an old man get a speech about it at the cash register, then he was sent to a laptop aisle and before I got helped, the cashier radio'd her staff telling them how far she'd gotten with the beta pitch and to push for it. Probably quite a decent commission on a sign up. Luckily it wasn't even brought up to me, who was just buying a game.

What a weird program. If they brought back GCU around $120 I'd consider it but this, this ain't it chief.

#30 ppitchfork  

ppitchfork

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:36 PM

I think the only people who sign up for this will be people who crack under pressure sales and people who are going to buy a service that this covers (installation, etc) anyway and this winds up being cheaper. 100% rip-off otherwise. I’m usually a Best Buy defender too. There’s no defending this pile of chit.