* * - - - 5 votes

Best Buy's new "Beta" program

#31 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:06 PM

Since when is this a news forum? This has nothing to do with video game deals.

This is applicable info for those familiar with Best Buy's axed GCU program, which is very well known in this community. It applies to CAG immensely. 

#32 MChain  

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:24 PM

Man Best Buy fell off.

#33 DiaperDandee   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   420 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

DiaperDandee

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:47 AM

How is Best Buy even doing with COVID affecting them? The ones near me pretty much axed their movie selection and there hours haven’t changed (still closed at 7pm) with things opening up more in the past month.

#34 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15204 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:00 AM

Seems they might be aggressive about this. I watched an old man get a speech about it at the cash register, then he was sent to a laptop aisle and before I got helped, the cashier radio'd her staff telling them how far she'd gotten with the beta pitch and to push for it. Probably quite a decent commission on a sign up. Luckily it wasn't even brought up to me, who was just buying a game.

What a weird program. If they brought back GCU around $120 I'd consider it but this, this ain't it chief.

That's entirely who's going to buy it, too. Technically inept old people who still think Best Buy has good deals will buy into the service, thinking it'll pay off in the long run; in reality, both this service and Geek Squad are predominantly run by teens who may have pirated an Adobe suite at some point in their lives and know how to connect phones to wifi. There is no way Best Buy pays well enough to retain staff with a high level of expertise. This program only takes advantage of people who know less about computers than the average high schooler.

#35 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1429 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:44 AM

Looks like Best Buy is milking all the boomers before they all die off and BB finally closes shop for good. This is a strategy that I'm very familiar with as it's pretty much the same thing I do after I've nearly finished a box of wine and I rip out the little pouch inside the box and squeeze out every last drop of wine before I finally black out. In other words, this is Best Buy blacking out, folks.

#36 Count Van Ghoul   Past The Mission CAGiversary!   1189 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Count Van Ghoul

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:15 PM

Beta LMAO. This HAS to be a joke, right?

#37 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1075 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:27 PM

How is Best Buy even doing with COVID affecting them? The ones near me pretty much axed their movie selection and there hours haven’t changed (still closed at 7pm) with things opening up more in the past month.

They're doing fine since everybody is buying tech stuff during the pandemic, but expected to slow down when people start going out and doing other stuff again.  Their online sales exploded while they've been laying off store employees.

https://www.cnbc.com...gs-q4-2021.html

#38 JSweeney   ... CAGiversary!   11382 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

JSweeney

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:36 PM

Looks like Best Buy is milking all the boomers before they all die off and BB finally closes shop for good. This is a strategy that I'm very familiar with as it's pretty much the same thing I do after I've nearly finished a box of wine and I rip out the little pouch inside the box and squeeze out every last drop of wine before I finally black out. In other words, this is Best Buy blacking out, folks.

Why wouldn't you just take some scissors, cut the bladder, transfer it to some other vessel, fill the box with junk you need to be rid of and then toss the pouch and box?  You know, the Toy R US method. 

#39 Sporkis   Barley Legal CAGiversary!   1813 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:43 AM

tenor.gif

#40 TheGame2K5   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   45 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

TheGame2K5

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:33 PM

All their rewards programs are crap right now. Purchased a dryer from them and plan on a TV this year, figure id finally hit elite status for their rewards program. Nope sorry sir your dryer purchase doesnt count since you got a financing deal with the best buy card. Im totally fine not getting reward points for that purchase but to not have it at least count towards money spent there is a joke.