* * - - - 5 votes

Best Buy's new "Beta" program

#31 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:06 PM

Since when is this a news forum? This has nothing to do with video game deals.

This is applicable info for those familiar with Best Buy's axed GCU program, which is very well known in this community. It applies to CAG immensely. 

#32 MChain  

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:24 PM

Man Best Buy fell off.

#33 DiaperDandee   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   430 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

DiaperDandee

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:47 AM

How is Best Buy even doing with COVID affecting them? The ones near me pretty much axed their movie selection and there hours haven’t changed (still closed at 7pm) with things opening up more in the past month.

#34 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15257 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:00 AM

Seems they might be aggressive about this. I watched an old man get a speech about it at the cash register, then he was sent to a laptop aisle and before I got helped, the cashier radio'd her staff telling them how far she'd gotten with the beta pitch and to push for it. Probably quite a decent commission on a sign up. Luckily it wasn't even brought up to me, who was just buying a game.

What a weird program. If they brought back GCU around $120 I'd consider it but this, this ain't it chief.

That's entirely who's going to buy it, too. Technically inept old people who still think Best Buy has good deals will buy into the service, thinking it'll pay off in the long run; in reality, both this service and Geek Squad are predominantly run by teens who may have pirated an Adobe suite at some point in their lives and know how to connect phones to wifi. There is no way Best Buy pays well enough to retain staff with a high level of expertise. This program only takes advantage of people who know less about computers than the average high schooler.

#35 BreadNiblets   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1450 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

BreadNiblets

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:44 AM

Looks like Best Buy is milking all the boomers before they all die off and BB finally closes shop for good. This is a strategy that I'm very familiar with as it's pretty much the same thing I do after I've nearly finished a box of wine and I rip out the little pouch inside the box and squeeze out every last drop of wine before I finally black out. In other words, this is Best Buy blacking out, folks.

#36 Count Van Ghoul   Past The Mission CAGiversary!   1190 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Count Van Ghoul

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:15 PM

Beta LMAO. This HAS to be a joke, right?

#37 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1112 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:27 PM

How is Best Buy even doing with COVID affecting them? The ones near me pretty much axed their movie selection and there hours haven’t changed (still closed at 7pm) with things opening up more in the past month.

They're doing fine since everybody is buying tech stuff during the pandemic, but expected to slow down when people start going out and doing other stuff again.  Their online sales exploded while they've been laying off store employees.

https://www.cnbc.com...gs-q4-2021.html

#38 JSweeney   ... CAGiversary!   11387 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

JSweeney

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:36 PM

Looks like Best Buy is milking all the boomers before they all die off and BB finally closes shop for good. This is a strategy that I'm very familiar with as it's pretty much the same thing I do after I've nearly finished a box of wine and I rip out the little pouch inside the box and squeeze out every last drop of wine before I finally black out. In other words, this is Best Buy blacking out, folks.

Why wouldn't you just take some scissors, cut the bladder, transfer it to some other vessel, fill the box with junk you need to be rid of and then toss the pouch and box?  You know, the Toy R US method. 

#39 Sporkis   Barley Legal CAGiversary!   1835 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:43 AM

tenor.gif

#40 TheGame2K5   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   45 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

TheGame2K5

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:33 PM

All their rewards programs are crap right now. Purchased a dryer from them and plan on a TV this year, figure id finally hit elite status for their rewards program. Nope sorry sir your dryer purchase doesnt count since you got a financing deal with the best buy card. Im totally fine not getting reward points for that purchase but to not have it at least count towards money spent there is a joke. 

#41 ianharwood   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   186 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

ianharwood

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:05 PM

This sounds way better than their total tech support program which is also $200.  

not many places will mount your 75 inch TV on brick over a fireplace for 130 bucks, so for home theater/audio installations it's actually a pretty good value

#42 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24061 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:42 PM

All their rewards programs are crap right now. Purchased a dryer from them and plan on a TV this year, figure id finally hit elite status for their rewards program. Nope sorry sir your dryer purchase doesnt count since you got a financing deal with the best buy card. Im totally fine not getting reward points for that purchase but to not have it at least count towards money spent there is a joke. 

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they need any type of rewards programs to make those types of sales- pretty sure there was plenty of spending on things for the home during the pandemic so they prob said, why bother? 

#43 playguuu   Wisdom CAGiversary!   2895 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2021 - 04:43 PM

Money spent outside Best Buy using your Best Buy Credit Card also counts towards the Elite status requirement, if you need some extra help getting to Elite status.

#44 Hypebeast69  

Hypebeast69

Posted 06 June 2021 - 06:43 PM

Money spent outside Best Buy using your Best Buy Credit Card also counts towards the Elite status requirement, if you need some extra help getting to Elite status.

U can use the card outside bestbuy? That’s nice

#45 Shiftygism   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   603 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2021 - 08:01 PM

God, remember just a few years back when we'd all religiously gather here at one in the morning on Sunday to see all the neat gaming deals Best Buy would serve up? I haven't bought squat in general since the death of GCU...which has been great for my wallet, but it's been kinda a bummer waiting until Black Friday for them and other retailers to throw us a bone. I miss ol' Hubert.

#46 abbabaab   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   2041 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2021 - 04:03 AM

God, remember just a few years back when we'd all religiously gather here at one in the morning on Sunday to see all the neat gaming deals Best Buy would serve up?

pepperidge-farm-remembers.jpg

#47 Sielanas  

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:01 AM

U can use the card outside bestbuy? That’s nice

Esp with GCU dead that's how I get Elite+. Not that it really matters much anymore, no head start on sales. It's mostly good for reward points for buying groceries.

I don't remember if I said it before, if they calibrate tvs the service can be worth it too.

#48 ets   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   682 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:26 PM

I know people are trashing it, but it more likely targeting the older generation who are not tech savy. This bluebrint follows the office stores more than Amazon... 

#49 redreflect   I am the Wolf CAGiversary!   1469 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

redreflect

Posted 08 June 2021 - 06:33 PM

This is insulting.

#50 vegisgod   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   11 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

vegisgod

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:13 PM

We need a bad deal sub forum for stuff like this.

#51 Jables-The-Hutt   Rebel Scum CAGiversary!   74 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Jables-The-Hutt

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:22 AM

Seems they might be aggressive about this. I watched an old man get a speech about it at the cash register, then he was sent to a laptop aisle and before I got helped, the cashier radio'd her staff telling them how far she'd gotten with the beta pitch and to push for it. Probably quite a decent commission on a sign up. Luckily it wasn't even brought up to me, who was just buying a game.

What a weird program. If they brought back GCU around $120 I'd consider it but this, this ain't it chief.

Ok boomer, let’s clarify some things.

It’s not the 90’s anymore. Instead of commissions, employees get the privilege of keeping their barely above minimum wage jobs and get the luxury of being scheduled hours for the next week.

Now, do some employees get paid by outside vendors (sanctioned and facilitated by Best Buy) and have minor monetary incentive to pitch something like big brands LG, Sony, Samsung? Absolutely. But it’s peanuts as a monthly or quarterly heavily taxed “bonus” and basically see above where the reward is actually getting scheduled barely full time hours.

P.S. I don’t work in the Best Buy store any more but I know several people who still do. Also I’m not defending anyone here, or taking a side, but that is the reality. I don’t care if you shop at BBY or not, what I care about is correcting misinformation.

#52 davemoseley  

davemoseley

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:38 AM

I know this is an old comment but I just wanted to say this wasn't my experience with buying a $2000 TV recently... I financed for 24 months and I've got $2000 progress towards Elite status for next year.

#53 ppitchfork  

ppitchfork

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:45 PM

Ok boomer, let’s clarify some things.

It’s not the 90’s anymore. Instead of commissions, employees get the privilege of keeping their barely above minimum wage jobs and get the luxury of being scheduled hours for the next week.

Now, do some employees get paid by outside vendors (sanctioned and facilitated by Best Buy) and have minor monetary incentive to pitch something like big brands LG, Sony, Samsung? Absolutely. But it’s peanuts as a monthly or quarterly heavily taxed “bonus” and basically see above where the reward is actually getting scheduled barely full time hours.

P.S. I don’t work in the Best Buy store any more but I know several people who still do. Also I’m not defending anyone here, or taking a side, but that is the reality. I don’t care if you shop at BBY or not, what I care about is correcting misinformation.

Showing my age here, but I worked at Best Buy off and on from ‘97 to ‘00 and nobody got commissions then either. We got about a quarter an hour more than min wage, although I do think the people in the computers department were making a big 6 bucks an hour. It was a big “selling point” for them to be able to brag that nobody was on commissions. That said, there was HUGE pressure to sell those extended warranties, and they could fire you if you were caught not offering them. If you sold a lot of extended warranties you were likely in line for a promotion to department lead or whatever. I’d imagine it’s a similar case with this beta program.