CAGcast #691: Egg Creams and Disco Fries

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Great show, as always. Thanks for sharing yourselves with us.

I'm rewatching the second Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer. Definitely interested in seeing it, and I was completely around for the first two, plus the cartoon series. (The good one.)

First rule - We cannot chew the same gum over and over. An IP that is only nostalgia will wither. Even the most successful and well-known ones. I have no room in my heart to watch Uncle Ben die one more time.

Second rule - an existing IP multiplies its marketing dollars, and avoids the messy need to have the burdensome front-load of exposition required to make any speculative fiction IP. So there is absolutely a balance to strike.

GB:A (not Game Boy Advance) is a good balance. A good mix of available veterans (Murray and Potts), new quality talent (Rudd) and unknowns (required to play kids). The story of the originals basically running out of work after they banked everything in an old mine (more security than a vault in a busy city) is more reasonable than other stories' reboots. The effects are good, the action scenes and music work, and it looks to have a horror vibe it needs. Plus having young characters puts way more energy into the action than Bill and Annie (or even Bill and Paul) could put in. So I'm up for it.

Closing: If DOCTOR Weller ever put on the costume again, it would be unwatchable.

Love the show, have listened since the first episode. The show is rather special for me as I enlisted in the Air Force the same month it began. I have been listening to Cheapy and Shipwreck belittle Wombat the entirety of my service.  I must say, the BEST part of each show is when Wombat makes an attempt at a joke and the other hosts completely ignore it. 

However, as much as I understand Cheapy's stance and agree about his opinion on Table Tennis being an excellent work out, what does he think about a 12 year old competing at an Olympic level? No disrespect but, for comparison, is a 12 year old ever going to compete with a "Lebron" in any other sport? 

https://youtu.be/JpalCR5n7yg

Thoughts? Also, shout out to Super Programmer John since it's been far too long since we've heard if he's alive.

PS: This would make my day if Wombat has to read this as part of the show feedback section.

Wombat was close on Dressage.  The origins are in the training of horses for war where moves like the piaffe were for killing wounded enemies.  At least that's what people who compete in dressage will tell you.  Maybe they're just trying to make it seem cooler. 

Personally I think it's just to show the harmony between horse and rider and I like it as an Olympic event.  So many of humanities accomplishments were literally done on the backs of horses and that relationship should still be celebrated in the Olympics.  Seeing three-quarters of a ton of moving muscle defy instinct by jogging on the spot all because of an unspoken understanding between human and horse is astonishing.  

But yeah, it can be boring.  And sometimes they make the horses wear tiaras, which I think is weird.

Great show as always!  Thanks for the weekly entertainment. 

Good show boyz. Fock the Vaccine. My body my choice. Hey Ship, I'm thinking of moving to Ohio before NYC goes full on communist. I'm ready for the Amish life. Any recommendations for good areas? Give me the sales pitch for living in OH, like the gun laws are good for instance.
Sorry, we’re all full here.

If you practice 8 hours a day, no you would not be as good as people in the the Olympics. These are the people who are the best out of many, many people who practice all day everyday.

bread's done
Back