* * * * - 7 votes

The 2022 Gamestop Thread

#5821 Selltrade  

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:27 PM

Dang, I need to check that. Last month was a no go on double dipping...

Did you save the code or make a cart beforehand. I usually put something in my cart beforehand with coupon applied. It still works on digital goods and doing the add a $.99 cent item for $5 Xbox Eshop works. Also the other trick may still work. GameStop is still fairly profitable if done right.

#5822 Omni99  

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:40 PM

Did you save the code or make a cart beforehand. I usually put something in my cart beforehand with coupon applied. It still works on digital goods and doing the add a $.99 cent item for $5 Xbox Eshop works. Also the other trick may still work. GameStop is still fairly profitable if done right.

I forgot to mention I used my coupon on PSN credit same as last few months. I use the same method. Place item in cart, apply coupon, then go to the store and use it before I return and complete the transaction.

Next month my Pro expires again, but not sure if I want to continue with it in case they try and pull what they did in January and end coupon use for digital cards. I don't use it on anything else.

#5823 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   734 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:59 PM

I'm still hoping the stars align and we have another massive, nearly chain-wide game Clearance at Walmart stores this fall like we did last fall. One last good trade-a-thon before I fear Gamestop fully goes the way of the dodo.

Once they took away the ability to check prices at Walmart for free, the best of Walmart clearance died with it. I don't mind checking prices on a couple of things to see if they are on clearance, or make down further, but unless it's clearly obvious, I'm not going to sit there checking brickseek in hopes that the game is even still listed on stock, much less what the price is

#5824 Twilightsparkle  

Twilightsparkle

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:32 PM

Just tried to call my local Gamestop and the recording that plays said there's a 30% bonus trade in towards Madden 23, NBA 2k23, Saints Row and Splatoon 3. I haven't verified it myself, though

My GameStop had the same recording.  I went in because I had a Demon Slayer for Switch I wanted to trade in while they are still giving $30 base.  So the bonus did not trigger automatically for me, but they gave it to me since they called themselves and heard the recording,  

#5825 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   2097 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:37 PM

My GameStop had the same recording. I went in because I had a Demon Slayer for Switch I wanted to trade in while they ere still giving $30 base. So the bonus did not trigger automatically for me, but they gave it to me since they called themselves and heard the recording,

Loving the thought of them calling their own store to hear what their recording says. Never seen such a large company so terrible at communicating. They operate like individual garage sales.

#5826 Moofboy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   646 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2022 - 02:50 PM

I called in yesterday about the WD 5tb drive that is “awaiting product availability” from Pro Day. They have no idea when they are going to get more in. At least they didn’t cancel the order. Guess I’ll just wait this one out.

#5827 DtroitPunk  

DtroitPunk

Posted 05 August 2022 - 04:59 PM

I tried to add code to my cart last month for the usual $10 PS code and it wouldn't apply.  Then, I tried on several physical items to no avail.  I was sure they'd finally killed it.  My membership expires in Nov too...

#5828 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3928 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:45 PM

Madden 23, NBA 2k23, Saints Row and Splatoon 3. I haven't verified it myself, though

Just a data point regarding these.  I tried all 4 of these preorders and none activated +20% percent today.  I ended up having to buy XC3, which is still giving +20% on purchase.

#5829 Explicit   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1586 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:59 PM

So too double dip, I preload my cart with let's say $10 eShop credit with coupon applied. Then go in store and buy a $10 credit and use the coupon. Then when I leave buy my preload and it'll work?

#5830 Twilightsparkle  

Twilightsparkle

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:36 PM

So too double dip, I preload my cart with let's say $10 eShop credit with coupon applied. Then go in store and buy a $10 credit and use the coupon. Then when I leave buy my preload and it'll work?

That’s what I have been doing, although I buy $5 eshop in store and $10 online.  

#5831 Naruto Uzumaki   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   654 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Naruto Uzumaki

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:45 PM

I go in-person to gamestop for the $5 eshop receipt code using the coupon. Soon as that receipt prints I hit Place Order on the gamestop app on my phone, my cart has the coupon loaded and a $10 PSN digital code. PayPal is the payment method selected for the remaining $5

#5832 Explicit   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1586 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:33 PM

That’s what I have been doing, although I buy $5 eshop in store and $10 online.

They don't trip about buying a something that you don't have to pay out of pocket for in-store? That's even better than

#5833 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   2097 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:36 PM

They don't trip about buying a something that you don't have to pay out of pocket for in-store? That's even better than

Sometimes they trip or tell you they only have eShop in $10 and up. I wait for them to try and then "Oh, we do have $5 eShop"

#5834 jrc84  

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:18 PM

I go in-person to gamestop for the $5 eshop receipt code using the coupon. Soon as that receipt prints I hit Place Order on the gamestop app on my phone, my cart has the coupon loaded and a $10 PSN digital code. PayPal is the payment method selected for the remaining $5

You don't have to be in a hurry about it. I screenshot the code on my phone and use it online weeks after I did the store credit. I usually stop in store right after the first and forget to use it online until a few days before the end of the month.

#5835 Explicit   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1586 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:23 PM

PayPal being your preference or using a credit card causes issues? Sorry for the questions, just want to make sure I properly take advantage of this.

#5836 dinsosaurx   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   56 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

dinsosaurx

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:36 AM

PayPal being your preference or using a credit card causes issues? Sorry for the questions, just want to make sure I properly take advantage of this.

It works with card

#5837 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38660 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2022 - 02:02 AM

Not sure if anyone has tried Hogwarts Legacy which comes out est. 12/31/2023. I would try it myself but the values are too low on my games.

I tried this tonight, no 20% bonus.

#5838 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24744 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:30 PM

Are there any promos for renewing PUR Pro? I think last year, they offered 10K in points when I renewed. 

#5839 Autosaver   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   876 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2022 - 08:55 PM

For trade in boosts on new games, do they only give you the trade in boost for the amount of games equal to $60, or does my entire trade in catalog get the boost?

Was thinking of picking up the new Kirby while trading in a bunch of games in the same transaction.

#5840 gospelman   Irreducibly Complex CAGiversary!   3928 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:16 PM

For trade in boosts on new games, do they only give you the trade in boost for the amount of games equal to $60, or does my entire trade in catalog get the boost?

Entire transaction.

#5841 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4143 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 06 August 2022 - 10:36 PM

Are you still allowed to trade in two copies of the same game on the same platform? I got turned away earlier for trying to trade in two of the same PS5 games but didn't really want to argue with the guy. 

#5842 Twilightsparkle  

Twilightsparkle

Posted 06 August 2022 - 11:17 PM

Are there any promos for renewing PUR Pro? I think last year, they offered 10K in points when I renewed. 

They cut it to 5K points earlier this year.

#5843 ritchardf  

Posted 06 August 2022 - 11:17 PM

Are you still allowed to trade in two copies of the same game on the same platform? I got turned away earlier for trying to trade in two of the same PS5 games but didn't really want to argue with the guy. 

technically this was never allowed, but it wasn't specifically blocked by the POS.

#5844 Explicit   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1586 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 12:33 AM

$15 eShop credit for $5 made my day. Should have done this a long time ago. Thanks everyone

#5845 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4143 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted Yesterday, 12:45 AM

technically this was never allowed, but it wasn't specifically blocked by the POS.

Thanks. I just remember the PVZ days long, long ago, when I was trading in two at a time and figured the employee was either new or the policy had been updated since. 

#5846 fullmetal   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   543 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 03:39 AM

A local store today had a box of games on the floor with a sign that said

4 for $24

with 1 year warranty

#5847 ritchardf  

Posted Yesterday, 03:41 AM

A local store today had a box of games on the floor with a sign that said

4 for $24

with 1 year warranty

lol, new way to push the gpg, hope for ignorant people that don't realize the 4 for $20 sale is going on.

#5848 fullmetal   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   543 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 03:47 AM

yeah, I'm honestly a little surprised with all their tactics that this hasn't happened sooner.

#5849 nbskid   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   276 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Last time I  bought a physical game at Gamestop, they automatically added the warranty to my price on the little credit card payment machine. When I asked about it, they said something to the impact of, "It's something we add, but we can take it off!" which he did, of course, but I wasn't pleased they just automatically add it to the amount without asking first. So shady.

#5850 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   1158 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted Yesterday, 04:10 PM

What exactly does the warrenty cover? *Breaks disk in car*. 😁