* * * * - 9 votes

The 2022 Gamestop Thread

#6361 bigkniff   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   73 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2022 - 02:14 PM

Dang, I still can’t believe they haven’t done a 50% trade in event this year. Hopefully they’re not done for good…

I was just about to ask if anyone knew the last time a 40% or 50% promo ran. I'm hoping to trade in some stuff to have funds for Black Friday deals, so hopefully if not this month, then maybe in October there will be a promo.

#6362 Dark Rider   The Bus Guy CAGiversary!   2973 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2022 - 02:46 PM

I was just about to ask if anyone knew the last time a 40% or 50% promo ran. I'm hoping to trade in some stuff to have funds for Black Friday deals, so hopefully if not this month, then maybe in October there will be a promo.

The last 50% bonus ended in early January of 2022. It was part of their Christmas/holiday sales. In many years of shopping at GameStop, I don't remember a period where there was this sort of gap in trade in promos and big sales/promos. There really haven't even been many sales this year in general.

I thought this was an interesting article. I think Motley Fool hits the nail on the head here:

GameStop Is a Dinosaur Posing As an Innovator

#6363 FamedGuardian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2327 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

FamedGuardian

Posted 11 September 2022 - 03:46 PM

Funny how some people on the forum were talking about the lack of promos earlier in the year being a result of tax season. I think GameStop changed their philosophy around the holidays with keeping evergreen Nintendo titles cheap, TIVs very low, and sparse promos. I’m not expecting much moving forward except attempting to match competitors.

#6364 mattysaurus   Shipping kills it. CAGiversary!   284 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

mattysaurus

Posted 11 September 2022 - 03:51 PM

The last 50% bonus ended in early January of 2022. It was part of their Christmas/holiday sales. In many years of shopping at GameStop, I don't remember a period where there was this sort of gap in trade in promos and big sales/promos. There really haven't even been many sales this year in general.

I thought this was an interesting article. I think Motley Fool hits the nail on the head here:

If I’m remembering correctly, there was a pretty lengthy gap during Covid… for obvious reasons.

I was really hopeful they’d do a promo this week because they did a 50% this time last year. I ended up finding a photo of my yardsale trade ins that I took before I went since it was so many… got $1500 in credit, got soft banned for 3 months, was a great time all around. Don’t think I’ll ever hit that again since Wii first parties have dropped off, but I can still make a nice chunk with what I have now.

In either 2018 or 2019 they were doing 50% promos every month. And yet these days all I hear from employees is how they barely get any good trades in because values are so low.

#6365 toska   certified moron CAGiversary!   693 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2022 - 06:25 PM

i was gonna take in some spare copies of animal crossing and elden ring but i have a feeling if its been like this all year november wont be great either

#6366 Mazter   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   131 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2022 - 06:28 PM

Stopped by today and asked if there were any trade in bonuses for any upcoming releases. None.... not even COD... like wtf GS? Guess the good ol' days are over and happen much infrequently. 

#6367 toska   certified moron CAGiversary!   693 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 September 2022 - 08:22 PM

i called a few stores around me and trails from zero is giving a boost right now

edit: it worked for the switch and it boosted the controllers i traded im for some reason
got 27 per joycon

#6368 Agent Hero  

Agent Hero

Posted 11 September 2022 - 09:48 PM

When/why did they stop carrying iphones and Apple watches on their site? 

#6369 Hypebeast69  

Hypebeast69

Posted 11 September 2022 - 10:04 PM

If u order a game for same day delivery does that game get reserved for u or does it still get sold to whoever comes to buy it instore first?

#6370 Lime  

Posted 12 September 2022 - 01:30 AM

Received this in an email today. Good until 9/17

bonus.jpg

#6371 Strider Turbulence EX  

Strider Turbulence EX

Posted 12 September 2022 - 01:53 AM

Motley Fool is part of a hedgefund that has been actively shorting Gamestop FYI

#6372 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   2277 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 12 September 2022 - 03:03 AM

bonus.jpg

“Up to” is the most misleading phrase. How are we supposed to know what gets the bump and how much?

#6373 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5247 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 12 September 2022 - 03:41 AM

bonus.jpg

Hell yes. Been waiting for this. Have Xbox and PS5 controllers to sell.

Edit: $10 trade value for a white dualsense is pretty offensive

#6374 TTAZ  

Posted 12 September 2022 - 04:00 AM

They probably just have so many from people reading them in after buying bundles lol

#6375 theking20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4721 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2022 - 05:30 AM

Had no idea you can’t combine the $5 monthly code with other discounted codes online, had a $3 and $5 one I wanted to use with my $5 monthly code.
Anyone want $3 and $5 off an item codes? I’ll take a $5 Amazon gift card for both

My Xbox series x controller has a messed up joystick, might trade it in and get a new elite controller

#6376 strikeanywhere  

strikeanywhere

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:46 AM

Impossible! You mean to tell me that a hedgefund would use manipulation to try to influence stock prices? Why, that's against the spirit of the almighty Free Market (if not the law)!

#6377 iNICK20   Premium Member. CAGiversary!   461 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:55 AM

How? No one wants those. Most people I knew including me were pissed that at launch we only got white controllers. My white controllers get so dirty cheap, and I wash my hands often.

#6378 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1282 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 12 September 2022 - 01:14 PM

They probably just have so many from people reading them in after buying bundles lol

Yeah they have about 12k pre-owned white dualsense controllers, so trade value probably be low for awhile.

#6379 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 12 September 2022 - 02:46 PM

So many of the GS bundles came with them.  There are always a ton of them at my local store. 

#6380 DealsHunterZ  

DealsHunterZ

Posted 12 September 2022 - 03:32 PM

Sad to see the controller trade-in price fall so hard. I was able to buy new xbox controllers after trading in old ones last year during the 50% bonus. I think I got like $40+ per controller.

#6381 mattysaurus   Shipping kills it. CAGiversary!   284 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

mattysaurus

Posted 12 September 2022 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, though I think what the article says is fair. GS has been circling a very tall drain for a while now, but Motley Fool is the absolute worse in its own right.

It’s wild to me that GameStop has decided to focus on all these other go nowhere initiatives instead of the obvious thing, which is a campaign to convince people that physical media is more valuable than digital. It’s often cheaper, it’s resellable, and you have (slightly) more ownership over it.

#6382 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   2277 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 12 September 2022 - 04:48 PM

I thought they were going to dig in on retro but instead they’re like nah, let’s sell everything that Walmart and Amazon sells. GENIUS

#6383 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:39 PM

$25 for an old drifty joy-con isn't bad value

#6384 Daniel_Shadow170  

Daniel_Shadow170

Posted 12 September 2022 - 09:02 PM

Found another Godzilla PS4 $69.99 sold it at $200 just now locally.

Been finding one every two weeks at GameStop kinda odd.

#6385 Hypebeast69  

Hypebeast69

Posted 12 September 2022 - 09:24 PM

Got Godzilla ps4 on eBay for $300 and it was sealed not gutted

#6386 baboonfreak   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1299 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

baboonfreak

Posted 12 September 2022 - 10:21 PM

Just a heads up: they're now deducting $9 from your refund for online returns regardless of return reason. Was sent an incorrect game and choosing 'Wrong item' option still deducts $9 to return it online. Guess I'll have to go to the store now.

Edit: Just adding that this was a $70 game, so not sure if it's a fixed $9 fee for all items, or they charge less for lower priced items (like with their refurb fees when trading in).

#6387 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1282 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 13 September 2022 - 12:13 AM

Just a heads up: they're now deducting $9 from your refund for online returns regardless of return reason. Was sent an incorrect game and choosing 'Wrong item' option still deducts $9 to return it online. Guess I'll have to go to the store now.

Edit: Just adding that this was a $70 game, so not sure if it's a fixed $9 fee for all items, or they charge less for lower priced items (like with their refurb fees when trading in).

Flat fee of $8.99 for all online returns now as of Sept 1. So best to do in store for returns.

https://twitter.com/...955288440508417

#6388 Staind204   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2573 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 September 2022 - 12:56 AM

Flat fee of $8.99 for all online returns now as of Sept 1. So best to do in store for returns.

https://twitter.com/...955288440508417

Wait so they can mail me a broken game or wrong item altogether and it still costs $8.99 to return it? Or is it only $8.99 if you decide to return something because you just dont want it? If its the former, ill never buy from them again. They almost always send atleast 1 broken or wrong game if you get in on one of their "preowned buy more save more deals like get 4 for $20".

#6389 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1282 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 13 September 2022 - 01:39 AM

Wait so they can mail me a broken game or wrong item altogether and it still costs $8.99 to return it? Or is it only $8.99 if you decide to return something because you just dont want it? If its the former, ill never buy from them again. They almost always send atleast 1 broken or wrong game if you get in on one of their "preowned buy more save more deals like get 4 for $20".

The way I interpret it, if you want to return something by mail, you have 8.99 deducted from your refund regardless of the reason now. If you want to return for free, you will need to go to a store.

#6390 izembo  

Posted 13 September 2022 - 02:18 AM

The way I interpret it, if you want to return something by mail, you have 8.99 deducted from your refund regardless of the reason now. If you want to return for free, you will need to go to a store.

This is correct.