* * * * - 9 votes

The 2022 Gamestop Thread

#61 Montybg  

Posted 01 January 2022 - 08:42 PM

I tried to use my $5 monthly in store for Xbox credit, and I was told they can no longer do it as of today. The employee showed me how it wasn’t working on his end

Anyone else try yet? Not sure if he’s lying or not

I just had this too. That makes pro pretty useless for me. That's too bad.

#62 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   6192 Posts   Joined 19.0 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 01 January 2022 - 08:45 PM

That's pretty big news if true. Did you try a physical item there to see if the discount would apply?

#63 Montybg  

Posted 01 January 2022 - 08:47 PM

That's pretty big news if true. Did you try a physical item there to see if the discount would apply?

Yes I ended up getting a sale game and it worked fine. But no luck with the digital currency.

#64 FamedGuardian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2343 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

FamedGuardian

Posted 01 January 2022 - 08:49 PM

Yes I ended up getting a sale game and it worked fine. But no luck with the digital currency.

Did they try printing a code on the receipt instead of an actual PSN card? That would really suck if true…and makes Pro much more useless.

#65 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   1338 Posts   Joined 3.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2022 - 08:50 PM

Did you try a $10 physical digital currency? (ie the green xbox $10 card or the luigi eshop).  :oldman:

#66 Montybg  

Posted 01 January 2022 - 08:51 PM

Did they try printing a code on the receipt instead of an actual PSN card? That would really suck if true…and makes Pro much more useless.

No, we didn't think to try it just printed on the receipt. That may be worth a try if someone wants to give it a whirl. But we tried different values of psn card and eshop and no luck.

#67 moonknight80  

moonknight80

Posted 01 January 2022 - 08:54 PM

No, we didn't think to try it just printed on the receipt. That may be worth a try if someone wants to give it a whirl. But we tried different values of psn card and eshop and no luck.

Yeah, this makes Pro a lot less valuable. I have to wonder exactly how much it'll hit their numbers, especially since in store I had two different individuals give me the 'eshop credit' as a big selling point of Pro.

#68 Jus2cold   Work hard, game harder! CAGiversary!   89 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Jus2cold

Posted 01 January 2022 - 08:59 PM

I purchased a $10 Nintendo Eshop digital on receipt last night and was able to use my $5 monthly credit.

#69 davemoseley  

davemoseley

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:01 PM

I purchased a $10 Nintendo Eshop digital on receipt last night and was able to use my $5 monthly credit.

Last night as in 12/31? I think we're trying to work out whether it's been changed as of the new year.

#70 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   6192 Posts   Joined 19.0 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:08 PM

On the GS reddit, some employees mentioned that there were POSA issues today. There hasn't been any official communication about a change to restrict coupon use on digital items, so I wouldn't worry just yet when it's just as likely to be a technical issue. They sold so many Pro memberships on the promise that you can use the coupons on digital currency. I'm sure the losses they take on that isn't insignificant, but they must know that their very popular Pro membership reinvigorated interest in GameStop as a retailer.

#71 Jus2cold   Work hard, game harder! CAGiversary!   89 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Jus2cold

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:17 PM

Last night as in 12/31? I think we're trying to work out whether it's been changed as of the new year.

Yes 12/31

#72 travOtaku   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   52 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:25 PM

Thanks CAGs!

Traded in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition and used the credit on the website to buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, and Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart for only the cost of tax ($6)!

Also bought Back 4 Blood for $14.99 after $5 monthly coupon and $3 worth of points and traded that in for $45.50.

Good day today. ^^b

#73 Sqrtl007sqd  

Sqrtl007sqd

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:26 PM

If that's true going forward and not just a glitch, the $5 monthly coupon is useless to me as I've been using them to stock up on PSN and E-Shop credit. I'll have zero need in going into a store unless there's a good trade in deal now if this is how it's going to be going forward, that was the main reason I actually went in there. It is the Gamestop way though, take away a good perk of being a Pro and then complain that not enough people are signing up for it. 

On a little better note, trade in some of my BF games and got $530 after pre-ordering and paying off Advance Wars(so $590 prior) which isn't bad at all for 14 games. Think I'll go in here in a couple of weeks and ask them if they would switch my pre-order over to Legends Arceus. Wish the Zelda games would hurry up and go back to being in the MWT's again, along with a couple of the Mario games as well. 

#74 mikeshinobi  

mikeshinobi

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:31 PM

When I was in the store yesterday they were trying to sell a membership to someone and telling them about how they can use the monthly coupon on digital currency, so it'd be kinda funny if they went and changed it the very next day

#75 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1283 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:33 PM

On the GS reddit, some employees mentioned that there were POSA issues today. There hasn't been any official communication about a change to restrict coupon use on digital items, so I wouldn't worry just yet when it's just as likely to be a technical issue. They sold so many Pro memberships on the promise that you can use the coupons on digital currency. I'm sure the losses they take on that isn't insignificant, but they must know that their very popular Pro membership reinvigorated interest in GameStop as a retailer.

Maybe slightly different, but I used $50 reward on a $50 steam card without issue earlier today in-store. So at least at this store, no issues.

#76 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1055 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:33 PM

Is double dipping gone?

I was able to a week or so ago.

#77 Kyle1022  

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:37 PM

People saying the monthly $5 doesn't work on game currency, did anyone try regular certs, i.e. a $15 cert for 15,000 rewards points? If none of those work on digital currency then they're basically useless to me now ☹️

Edit: Answered above, hopefully it's just a temporary glitch with the monthly cert. I had one month awhile back where I tried to use the cert but it wouldn't work until I tried it again the next day

#78 Hypebeast69  

Hypebeast69

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:38 PM

So you can just keep adding $5 towards your $5 deposit every time you trade in? Also how does the double dip $5 monthly coupon work again? And is re village 35 base in store?

Last but not least, when can employees see your latest trade in/purchases again? Is it on the same day or next day?

#79 RPGamer246   I Game You Game We Game CAGiversary!   1388 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:46 PM

So you can just keep adding $5 towards your $5 deposit every time you trade in? Also how does the double dip $5 monthly coupon work again? And is re village 35 base in store?

Last but not least, when can employees see your latest trade in/purchases again? Is it on the same day or next day?

Re village isn’t 35 base at all on the website so I doubt in store. Yes you can keep adding a $5 to your deposit or as little as $1 if you’re store is fine with it. I believe they can see your trades/purchases next day. And I don’t know the double dip trick so I can’t say.

thanks for all the trade title info guys, doubled my $360 trade credit to $720 this weekend

#80 jdmay21   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   18 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:56 PM

In the event anyone else was wondering, Pokemon Legends & Horizon Forbidden West pre-orders did not trigger the trade bonus. I had to use GTA for Switch to trigger the bonus.

#81 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7264 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:01 PM

Surprised it worked on digital credit for this long since Gamestop is losing more off those PSN / XB cards than you using the same $5 on a game that they are getting more profit on. 

Won't be too long before GS removes the $5 coupon entirely like other perks they've slowly removed. 

#82 mojoaoe  

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:10 PM

There any other games besides advance wars and gta that trigger the 30%?

#83 Hypebeast69  

Hypebeast69

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:11 PM

Re village isn’t 35 base at all on the website so I doubt in store. Yes you can keep adding a $5 to your deposit or as little as $1 if you’re store is fine with it. I believe they can see your trades/purchases next day. And I don’t know the double dip trick so I can’t say.

thanks for all the trade title info guys, doubled my $360 trade credit to $720 this weekend

Oh sorry I meant 25 base and thanks!

#84 GamerSavage   Stay Chill CAGiversary!   1947 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:13 PM

Got the email saying I have 16 games worth $X amount of credit and was briefly entertaining the idea and holding the credit for a Series X. Then thought about the fact that I just bought a lot of these games and actually want to play them before trading.

Happy flip and boomerang to all those willing to put in the work. Happy New Year!

#85 guessed   Newbie CAGiversary!   8659 Posts   Joined 19.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:52 PM

Gamestop really needs to make the website/app able to use more than 2 gift cards I have 6 cards with 50cents and less on them

It used to allow more than 2, but I noticed it changed to a maximum of 2 when trying to place an order a few months ago. You can probably combine the cards in-store, but not worth making a trip just for that if they have that little credit.

#86 eXTechno   Techno CAGiversary!   506 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

eXTechno

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:57 PM

GameStops in MN have XBox Series X bundles if anyone if anyone is in need

Call your GameStops

#87 Roflcakes  

Roflcakes

Posted 01 January 2022 - 11:10 PM

I placed an order for pickup yesterday and picked it up on the same day, but I still got a reminder in the email to pickup the order. Is this normal?

#88 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 01 January 2022 - 11:12 PM

I just pulled up to my local GameStop and it's closed. Does the current trade in bump go through tomorrow? Just trying to trade in my Yoshi's crafted world for $38.50.

#89 born free   Old School CAGiversary!   4966 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2022 - 11:17 PM

I have a feeling that the $5 Pro monthly credit may indeed no longer work for digital cards.

Tried to use on a steam card and my $5 pro points I redeemed worked on the card but not my monthly reward. Associate thought that it was because couldn't use two of the same $5 credit amounts on one item so we tried my monthly on another steam card and it still wasn't applying. They manually overrode the $5 amount so I still have my monthly credit but I have a feeling this might not work (on physical cards at least) on digital currency. 

Will have to confirm if it no longer works on $5 digital codes next time I'm in the store. 

#90 Hypebeast69  

Hypebeast69

Posted 01 January 2022 - 11:20 PM

I just pulled up to my local GameStop and it's closed. Does the current trade in bump go through tomorrow? Just trying to trade in my Yoshi's crafted world for $38.50.

What time is it where ur at? Heard trade bump ends today or tomorrow