CAGcast #714: Creatively Independent

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Can we all agree that the new segment, " Wombat's Weekly Leftist Views" should be a one and done? I know it's been said countless times, but I really do love the CAGcast for the TV, Movies and video game chatter. Not the political talk. Keep up the good work boys, and yeah, even you Wombat

A lot of people are saying that NFL games are being fixed by the mob, but you won’t hear about it in the lamestream media. I don’t know if this guy Wombat is right or wrong, but he’s just asking questions, and that’s the kind of podcast host Spotify really needs on its network.

I rarely post to the show comments but I feel like I need to leap to Wombat's defense on the NFL topic. First of all, I am not a fan of conspiracy theories. However what I DO believe is that people will conduct themselves in VERY questionable (and often criminal) ways when lots of money is involved. Even though I enjoy the NFL immensely I've definitely observed some shady stuff. Like, isn't it interesting that most of the big playoff games a few weeks ago were all decided in the last few seconds of the game? I wonder who that could benefit? Advertisers

Anyway Wombat, I think listeners came down on you a little hard, especially in light of the Flores news etc. Please don't be shy about sharing your views, even though some people can be dicks it's part of what has been keeping me listening for all these years.

Also the Jets suck.

PS - Rocksteady studios is owned by WB Games. They also own Netherrealm, Monolith, Traveler's Tales, and a bunch of others that I can't remember

I rarely post to the show comments but I feel like I need to leap to Wombat's defense on the NFL topic. First of all, I am not a fan of conspiracy theories. However what I DO believe is that people will conduct themselves in VERY questionable (and often criminal) ways when lots of money is involved. Even though I enjoy the NFL immensely I've definitely observed some shady stuff. Like, isn't it interesting that most of the big playoff games a few weeks ago were all decided in the last few seconds of the game? I wonder who that could benefit? <cough> Advertisers <cough>

Anyway Wombat, I think listeners came down on you a little hard, especially in light of the Flores news etc. Please don't be shy about sharing your views, even though some people can be dicks it's part of what has been keeping me listening for all these years.

Also the Jets suck.
Your theory doesn't even make sense. Advertisements are sold before the outcome of the game is ever in question. How would a game being more exciting or compelling affect advertising at all?

Oh, I get it! Let's tell advertisers that their advertisement will somehow see the widest audience towards the end of the game because we'll tell them we'll fix the outcome of the game! GENIUS! Let's just tell all of our advertising partners that we rig the games! That will never ever possibly leak!

And on the topic of Hue Jackson, he's already backtracked on his previous comments.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/05/hue-jackson-i-was-never-offered-money-to-lose/

I just want to wish Shipwreck the best of luck in the Super Bowl.  The last 2 times the Bengals were there ended up being classic games.  They helped make Joe Montana a legend.  There won't be any Montana moments in this one.  Ken Anderson, Boomer and Icky will be all watching.  Chris Collinsworth will be in the booth instead on the field like he was 40 years ago.  Enjoy it with them Shipwreck.  It's something you never forget.  

Your theory doesn't even make sense. Advertisements are sold before the outcome of the game is ever in question. How would a game being more exciting or compelling affect advertising at all?

Oh, I get it! Let's tell advertisers that their advertisement will somehow see the widest audience towards the end of the game because we'll tell them we'll fix the outcome of the game! GENIUS! Let's just tell all of our advertising partners that we rig the games! That will never ever possibly leak!

And on the topic of Hue Jackson, he's already backtracked on his previous comments.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/05/hue-jackson-i-was-never-offered-money-to-lose/
You would be correct, except that isn't how broadcast advertising works. Networks sell a certain amount of inventory and are usually contracted to deliver a minimum number of viewers. (A "guarantee") When they don't/can't deliver they either have to pay the advertiser back for the lost audience, or more commonly, give up other inventory to make up the difference. (Like another primetime show for instance, or on another network.)

SOURCE: I work in TV

Naturally, if people are turning off the game because it's boring, the number of eyeballs goes down.

Also I wasn't saying the games are fixed, I'm just saying when millions and billions of dollars are on the line, people begin to act shady.

Ok, what are you saying then? The Super Bowl last year was a blowout. As you say, billions of dollars on the line. Why wasn't that outcome affected? You're not saying the games are fixed but you think they might be fixed? Wombat straight up said they were fixed. This isn't the same thing.

If all you're saying is to be a little skeptical then what is even the argument against that? I agree with you. These are hundreds of individual human beings where we don't know what all their motivations are. Could some of them have ulterior motives? Of course. It's a huge stretch to go from that to full blown conspiracy theorist BS that Wombat was spewing in episode 713. He deserved to get flak for that. If he came onto the show one day to shill ivermectin, he'd deserve the same amount of blowback. 

Ok, what are you saying then? The Super Bowl last year was a blowout. As you say, billions of dollars on the line. Why wasn't that outcome affected? You're not saying the games are fixed but you think they might be fixed? Wombat straight up said they were fixed. This isn't the same thing.

If all you're saying is to be a little skeptical then what is even the argument against that? I agree with you. These are hundreds of individual human beings where we don't know what all their motivations are. Could some of them have ulterior motives? Of course. It's a huge stretch to go from that to full blown conspiracy theorist BS that Wombat was spewing in episode 713. He deserved to get flak for that. If he came onto the show one day to shill ivermectin, he'd deserve the same amount of blowback.
To be fair, no one listening's health will be effected by my dumb Football theories. It's not quite the same thing. Not all blowback is created equal.

Can we all agree that the new segment, " Wombat's Weekly Leftist Views" should be a one and done? I know it's been said countless times, but I really do love the CAGcast for the TV, Movies and video game chatter. Not the political talk. Keep up the good work boys, and yeah, even you Wombat
I liked Wombats virtue signaling segment, hope to hear more of it! The structure is fun and well thought out. Quick questions followed by quick answers. Reminds me of the overrated/underrated segment on Conversations with Tyler.

bread's done
Back