* * * * * 2 votes

Target Buy 2 Get 1 FREE video games, movies, books and board games 2/6 - 2/12

#31 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24744 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 03:35 PM

I get that they are adjusting for inflation but it is pretty dumb to price them at 70 in this climate. Especially since most people just buy the PS4 versions which usually get a free upgrade or 10$ upgrade path. PS5 versions seem to drop off a lot lately.

We were bound for a price increase. I remember when it was sacrilegious for games to go from standard price of $50 to $60 (though which was funny because before the disc era, cart games were often $70-100 during the 90s), and even that was I think over a decade ago. 

#32 JohnnyCage   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1265 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

JohnnyCage

Posted 06 February 2022 - 03:41 PM

We were bound for a price increase. I remember when it was sacrilegious for games to go from standard price of $50 to $60 (though which was funny because before the disc era, cart games were often $70-100 during the 90s), and even that was I think over a decade ago. 

Not every company increased prices. Elden Ring and Dying Light 2 are $60. Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo are $60. Microsoft's games are all $60. Sony's being greedy. 

#33 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2968 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 06 February 2022 - 03:43 PM

Does price matter like buy 2 games at $10 each and get a $70 game free

Come on dude.

#34 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5059 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 03:44 PM

i still remember virtua racing being expensive as hell on the genesis

#35 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   17207 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 03:56 PM

Come on dude.

Can I buy two games get the third one free and then return the two and keep the free game?

/s

#36 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24744 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 04:01 PM

Not every company increased prices. Elden Ring and Dying Light 2 are $60. Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo are $60. Microsoft's games are all $60. Sony's being greedy. 

Of course, not saying that isn't a part of it, it absolutely is. Every for-profit company is greedy to an extend. But to MS, they're clearly headed in another direction so I can see why they're not bothering with a price increase. (Personal anecdote: which I don't like- games as a service. It's nice now but 5 years down the line, it'll be a lot like what streaming is now). 

Back to the sale though, I put in 2 orders and spent $300+... not a good way to start the morning.:-/ 

#37 moonknight80  

moonknight80

Posted 06 February 2022 - 04:37 PM

Can I buy two games get the third one free and then return the two and keep the free game?

/s

Target prorates the end cost of a 'free' one across all your costs, so you won't get a 'free' game. you'll get a discounted cost. For example, buy three $60 games and the end cost is $40 per. You can return the ones you don't want, you'll get your prorated return cost. So if you buy 3 for $120 and keep one, you'll be out $40. Unlike places like Best Buy or Gamestop where you have to return everything if there's a BXG1. 

#38 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   8055 Posts   Joined 18.2 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 06 February 2022 - 04:43 PM

Target prorates the end cost of a 'free' one across all your costs, so you won't get a 'free' game. you'll get a discounted cost. For example, buy three $60 games and the end cost is $40 per. You can return the ones you don't want, you'll get your prorated return cost. So if you buy 3 for $120 and keep one, you'll be out $40. Unlike places like Best Buy or Gamestop where you have to return everything if there's a BXG1. 

That was not a serious question he made.

#39 walletandgromice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1690 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

walletandgromice

Posted 06 February 2022 - 04:56 PM

That was not a serious question he made.

Was the /s not for serious? Have I been using it wrong for years??

/s

..oh. Wait.

#40 dabomb1991  

dabomb1991

Posted 06 February 2022 - 05:06 PM

Hey question that I just thought up.  I was wondering if we just want 1 game wouldn't it be smarter to buy that 1 game + 2 really cheap games for more savings?  Example: one game for 59.99 then 2 games for like 14.99 or something then cancel the 2 really cheap games.  Or will this be something like abusing the system and they wouldn't like it.  Not trying to be a dick just wondering since all the games would be prorated.  Or did I just open pandora's box?

#41 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   5171 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 05:08 PM

Hey question that I just thought up.  I was wondering if we just want 1 game wouldn't it be smarter to buy that 1 game + 2 really cheap games for more savings?  Example: one game for 59.99 then 2 games for like 14.99 or something then cancel the 2 really cheap games.  Or will this be something like abusing the system and they wouldn't like it.  Not trying to be a dick just wondering since all the games would be prorated.  Or did I just open pandora's box?

Doesn't work that way. Target B2G1 takes the lowest priced game, divides it by 3, and deducts that from each game. In your example, the cheapest game being $15 would mean each game is reduced by only $5. With three $60 games, each game would be reduced by $20.

-Edit-

Proper math here: https://www.cheapass...212/?p=14461603

Best discount is still having all three items the same price before cancelling two.

#42 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3534 Posts   Joined 18.8 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 06 February 2022 - 06:05 PM

Rachet and Clank for $31.67! After B2G1 cancel trick and red card 5%

Just to be clear, this is NOT a trick. It's always been how Target does B2G1 sales.

Generally, the savings are less than what they were over BF. You'll probably pay more, but this is pretty good for those looking for something they missed.

#43 DaShaka   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2215 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 07:02 PM

Just to be clear, this is NOT a trick. It's always been how Target does B2G1 sales.

Generally, the savings are less than what they were over BF. You'll probably pay more, but this is pretty good for those looking for something they missed.

I mean, if you want to nit pick, technically it is a “trick”, even if it is how it’s always been. They don’t seem to care about closing the trick, or loophole, but it’s not technically how the sale is supposed to be used, and it’s not a mechanic that’s advertised or built into the sale.

#44 breakingcustoms   To The Max! CAGiversary!   3047 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

breakingcustoms

Posted 06 February 2022 - 07:03 PM

Has anyone been negatively hit for the b2g1 and returning games to keep the discount? I feel like I read it here or slickdeals that’s target has been canceling accounts that do this.

I’ve done it once or twice in the past, but started seeing posts during the past round

#45 blackwaltz34   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1466 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

blackwaltz34

Posted 06 February 2022 - 07:06 PM

Ordered Arceus and Brilliant Diamond. I have a copy of Arceus from Amazon that I ordered for $55 that I can still return, so it’ll be nice to save some extra money on it. I wasn’t planning on getting Diamond any time soon but $43 for Nintendo games is good enough for me. I’m debating on Skyward Sword and Mario Party Superstars.

Also stocked up on some PS5 games that finally hit my sweet spot. Spider Man Miles Morales Ultimate Edition, Ratchet and Clank, Death Stranding, and Ghosts of Tsushima…along with Elden Ring, I probably won’t need to pick up much else for the year. I look forward to next year’s b2g1 sale where I can buy Horizon and God of War for cheap, lol.

#46 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   361 Posts   Joined 18.7 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 06 February 2022 - 07:14 PM

Glad I waited on several titles. Grabbed PS5 versions of Ghosts of Tsushima, Ratchet and Clank, and Spider Man Ultimate. Doubt all of those will hit the $34 per game I ended up paying before BF 2022.

#47 dabomb1991  

dabomb1991

Posted 06 February 2022 - 07:36 PM

Doesn't work that way. Target B2G1 takes the lowest priced game, divides it by 3, and deducts that from each game. In your example, the cheapest game being $15 would mean each game is reduced by only $5. With three $60 games, each game would be reduced by $20.

Thanks for that information!  It's just me doing stupid math in my head and thinking why it didn't work a certain way.  This makes it way easy to understand.  

#48 nadohawk   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1063 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 07:40 PM

Well the items that were in my cart at the start of the promotion are out of stock and not listed on any searches. I bet they will return once the sale has ended just like the last time they had a site-wide sale

#49 sammiefry  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 07:47 PM

If you cancel and the game left is under $35 will you get charged shipping? When not using a red card.

#50 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   5171 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:11 PM

If you cancel and the game left is under $35 will you get charged shipping? When not using a red card.

You keep the free shipping.

#51 JohnnyCage   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1265 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

JohnnyCage

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:16 PM

Anyone here played Mario Golf Super Rush? Is the new swing system as bad as it sounds?

#52 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4014 Posts   Joined 18.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:18 PM

is uncharted ps5 worth the $35?   I don;lt like uncharted 4 that much and i got the lost legacy for ps4...

#53 ritchardf  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:21 PM

is uncharted ps5 worth the $35?   I don;lt like uncharted 4 that much and i got the lost legacy for ps4...

then no, its a $10 upgrade if you own either of the ps4 versions

#54 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5059 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:27 PM

Anyone here played Mario Golf Super Rush? Is the new swing system as bad as it sounds?

new as in they've updated it since release? i played it at release  and the game was decent

#55 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5059 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:28 PM

Well the items that were in my cart at the start of the promotion are out of stock and not listed on any searches. I bet they will return once the sale has ended just like the last time they had a site-wide sale

you can't find it in search because you don't have the filter set to show out of stock items

#56 sammiefry  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:49 PM

You keep the free shipping.

Ok thank you

#57 Reira   Kotobuki Reiji fangirl CAGiversary!   353 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:49 PM

See Amazon has started their B2G1F. Few Switch titles like Mario Golf, Skyward Sword, Pokemon Sword, and AC are $50, taking them down to $33+tax. I'm only interested in Mario Golf though for about $36 with tax. Don't suppose anyone interested in splitting a set? (Can only order 2 Mario Golfs FYI.) Don't feel like messing with Target pricematching and then finding others at the $50 mark.

#58 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   17207 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 09:02 PM

I love it. It’s a Mario golf game so don’t expect realism. The NYC course sucks though.

#59 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24744 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 09:32 PM

Has anyone been negatively hit for the b2g1 and returning games to keep the discount? I feel like I read it here or slickdeals that’s target has been canceling accounts that do this.

I’ve done it once or twice in the past, but started seeing posts during the past round

I think many retailers use some third party service that keeps track of consumers and their return/complaint habits and ban people who abuse returns/lost packages/promo policies. This was a pretty hot topic a few years back when this first started happening but from what I understand, it's pretty rare and most people who do it are pervasive with those habits.

I can see it being more common now as there's literally people posting about how they abuse return/replacement/promo policies of retailers for discounts or free stuff on social media and calling them "hacks".  

#60 Fungicidial  

Fungicidial

Posted 06 February 2022 - 09:36 PM

Got Dying Light 2. Sifu drops this week so if that's included in this as well I'll get it. I wished Horizon Zero Dawn and Elden Ring had been included.