Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
1280x720.jpg

Killer deal.

Switch

PS4

Nice deal. These Idea Factory games usually dont drop this low before selling out.
I sometimes wonder how many people buy these games to play vs. those self-proclaimed "investors" who buy these merely because they think they're rare and will rise in price. I don't personally care, but it's sad to think how many folks are buying these just to have them sit unopened on a shelf or in a box, while folks who do want to play it have to resort to scalpers ... ahem, I mean, "investors."

I miss the days when people really bought games for themselves AND to play.

I sometimes wonder how many people buy these games to play vs. those self-proclaimed "investors" who buy these merely because they think they're rare and will rise in price. I don't personally care, but it's sad to think how many folks are buying these just to have them sit unopened on a shelf or in a box, while folks who do want to play it have to resort to scalpers ... ahem, I mean, "investors."

I bought 6 copies and I won’t be opening any of them. 2 will go on WhatNot for $40 each and 4 will go in cases and into the closet of doom.

The folks who want to play it can still buy it at MSRP and support the publisher/developer because it's still available at some retailers.

The folks who just wanted it on sale are taking the same gamble as they have been taking for the past few decades, someone else might beat you to that sale price. Plus given that these games are available digitally, there's nothing forcing you to pay scalper prices anymore.

The folks who want to play it can still buy it at MSRP and support the publisher/developer because it's still available at some retailers.

The folks who just wanted it on sale are taking the same gamble as they have been taking for the past few decades, someone else might beat you to that sale price. Plus given that these games are available digitally, there's nothing forcing you to pay scalper prices anymore.
wasting your time as the guy is just complaining to complain. He doesn't even want the game.

What would you classify people who buy it with the intention to play but never get around to playing? I had the opportunity to buy this but decided not to since I knew I would never make it to the game in my backlog, especially since it is the 3rd game in a series. I would feel compelled to actually find the first 2 games for a reasonable price and play them first before starting this one. Also, I have a weird aversion to first person dungeon-crawlers for some reason (maybe PTSD from old computer games that required graphing paper).

These target sales never last…I wanted ni no kuni 2 when they had it around Black Friday it sold out super fast online

What would you classify people who buy it with the intention to play but never get around to playing? I had the opportunity to buy this but decided not to since I knew I would never make it to the game in my backlog, especially since it is the 3rd game in a series. I would feel compelled to actually find the first 2 games for a reasonable price and play them first before starting this one. Also, I have a weird aversion to first person dungeon-crawlers for some reason (maybe PTSD from old computer games that required graphing paper).
The 2nd one comes bundled with the first game from what I remember and it's been on sale on the eshop under 5 before as that's when I bought it for what it's worth.

I just buy stuff sub 20 when its on sale and throw it into the backlog. I'll get to it eventually but rpgs can take longer to play than most games so it slower to clear them out of the backlog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Backloggers.

This isn’t nearly as existent as it once ones. 99% of the niche games now are either overprinted, not in demand, or get reprints if they are rare. How many Koei/NIS/Atlus/xseed games have we seen on sale for 30%+ off a few months after release. SMT plummeted to like $20 after a few weeks. You see nis classics, Akibas trip, and other special editions for like $30. Thirteen sentinels was reprinted and became $20. Blue reflection 2 is currently $40. NIS reprinted Ys, Langrisser, disaster report, Etc. Not saying people don’t still do it, but there is definitely less payoff now.

This isn’t nearly as existent as it once ones. 99% of the niche games now are either overprinted, not in demand, or get reprints if they are rare. How many Koei/NIS/Atlus/xseed games have we seen on sale for 30%+ off a few months after release. SMT plummeted to like $20 after a few weeks. You see nis classics, Akibas trip, and other special editions for like $30. Thirteen sentinels was reprinted and became $20. Blue reflection 2 is currently $40. NIS reprinted Ys, Langrisser, disaster report, Etc. Not saying people don’t still do it, but there is definitely less payoff now.
Hm... very good points. I didn't even think about this. I definitely over-paid for a ton of niche games this gen either because I didn't think they'd be reprinted or didn't think they'd go on sale. Beyond your list: Ryza got a reprint, Ryza 2 was on sale for like $40 (or it was part of Target's B2G1F?), Ys IX went on sale for $40 and so did Cold Steel 3. I can only think of like a few over-priced niche games: Cold Steel 1 and 2 PS4 (honestly surprised these weren't reprinted), Crystar (PS4 version, though surprised this didn't go down yet with the NS release coming) and Blue Reflection 1.

I'm curious to see if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Bayonetta 1/2 get reprints later this year with the launch of XC3 and B3.

Definitely not 99%. Probably closer to 75-80. Tecmo Koei and Nisa are scattershot with reprints. The former being more stingy with them. They did do reprints of fairy tail ryza 1 and 2 but they didn't do reprints for all platforms and there's other titles like blue reflection 1 and the other atelier games that didn't get them.

cold steel 3 and 4 got reprints but Ys 8 did not to my knowledge. Ys 9 I don't recall going out of stock. Celceta ps4 I think finally started to dry up. Cold steel 1 and 2 both had small prints for ps4 and haven't yet gotten a reprint. There's also the underwater ray romano series (utawarerumono titles prelude to the fallen, mask of deception, mask of truth) which didn't get reprints iirc and have been pulled off psn I believe as well.

13 sentinels went to 15 before it went oos around black friday and then got reprints a number of times though the reprints are the game only not the launch edition. Gravity rush ps4 has been getting a steady set of reprints as well via gamestop though they convert them to used because they are a shady ass company.

Hm... very good points. I didn't even think about this. I definitely over-paid for a ton of niche games this gen either because I didn't think they'd be reprinted or didn't think they'd go on sale. Beyond your list: Ryza got a reprint, Ryza 2 was on sale for like $40 (or it was part of Target's B2G1F?), Ys IX went on sale for $40 and so did Cold Steel 3. I can only think of like a few over-priced niche games: Cold Steel 1 and 2 PS4 (honestly surprised these weren't reprinted), Crystar (PS4 version, though surprised this didn't go down yet with the NS release coming) and Blue Reflection 1.
cs3 actually went on sale for 14 or so on ps4. I know because I have a copy from when it dropped that low. I made the mistake thinking that 4 would follow suit before it went out of print for about half a year. switch cs3 and 4 also went on sale and supposedly cs4 is 30 at walmart though that's probably ymmv.

Prelude to the fallen or whatever it's called was the only expensive one and it got a reprint, it might actually still be on the online store. The other two were available/cheap.

There's definitely some out there that hold value, but at this point I'm just going to take the risk and wait it out for sales. My only really "regret" recently would be the Danganronpa special edition.

And are Spike Chunsoft and NIS sister companies or something? I noticed Danganronpa and Crystar have games under both companies, and I'm sure there's more.

And are Spike Chunsoft and NIS sister companies or something? I noticed Danganronpa and Crystar have games under both companies, and I'm sure there's more.
To my knowledge, Spike Chunsoft and NIS are developers. NIS America (nisa) is a publisher & localization company for multiple developers. The nisa storefront is an even wider spectrum as it carries products from outside publishers.

yup,  that's basically it.   Atlus wasn't publishing much just developing so partnered with NISA to publish some of their things in America.  Since they got bought by SEGA though that's no longer needed really.

Spike Chunsoft now publish their own games in the US.  In the past their games were published by NISA 

The 2nd one comes bundled with the first game from what I remember and it's been on sale on the eshop under 5 before as that's when I bought it for what it's worth.

I just buy stuff sub 20 when its on sale and throw it into the backlog. I'll get to it eventually but rpgs can take longer to play than most games so it slower to clear them out of the backlog.
As long as you eventually play it then that is reasonable. I know that I have much more highly reviewed games in my backlog and would never get to play this

Prelude to the fallen or whatever it's called was the only expensive one and it got a reprint, it might actually still be on the online store. The other two were available/cheap.
There's definitely some out there that hold value, but at this point I'm just going to take the risk and wait it out for sales. My only really "regret" recently would be the Danganronpa special edition.
Mask of deception went out of print last year and started climbing up in price for ps4. Don't think vita ever got reprint for either one. Prelude I don't recall getting a reprint. Was that in the same batch as the other ones they did the email survey for like Ys 9, cold steel 3 and 4 and langrisser back in July?

Mask of deception went out of print last year and started climbing up in price for ps4. Don't think vita ever got reprint for either one. Prelude I don't recall getting a reprint. Was that in the same batch as the other ones they did the email survey for like Ys 9, cold steel 3 and 4 and langrisser back in July?
No, prelude was excluded from the batch you mentioned. But it was reprinted in the batch they put up on the nisa store near the end of last year. The reason that Mask of Deception, and to a lesser extent Mask of Truth, have been climbing is that the licensing had expired. The games have been pulled from psn for some time now, though are still available on steam. Aside from that, physical ps4 copies are the only way to get it now. Hopefully a new deal is struck of a collection on nsw or something. But I wouldn't expect a reprint for Deception or Truth until that possibility happens.

Too bad as I probably would have bought prelude if I knew just to have a physical na copy.
Hope they do that bundle like you said so others can play them.

Very limited, only showed one in my zip code, it took me a few minutes to add to cart and push through, it shipped out today. You can add me to the list of archival reasons, since I know I won’t play it.

Apparently was back in stock got notification and email. But I Missed it
Doubt it's a restock. Almost certain to have been those folks who decided they'd never play it (or realized they were buying it for the wrong reasons) and canceled their orders.

I think it was possibly a restock. Especially since at one point the price went up by 4 or so bucks. They also matched the switch versions price to the PS4 19.99 surprisingly.

bread's done
Back