CAGcast #722: Dark Magic Castle

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
The Ms. Pac-Man story is wild. As I understand, Namco gave Midway a way too good deal when they picked up Pac-Man for the US and Namco never really cared about Ms. Pac-Man because they were creating the true sequel (Super Pac-Man.) Much later, GCE, who actually made Ms. Pac-Man went to court for ownership and won. AtGames comes into it as they had a falling out with Namco over some plug and play devices and, when GCE decided to cash out, they outbid Namco.

I don't fully understand why the rights went the way they did. It could be that it all stems from very early in videogaming when no one knew how it was going to work or it could be that Namco didn't care until much later as Pac-Man was bigger here than in Japan. It does seem they had an opportunity to buy the rights and I guess basically told AtGames if you buy this, we will make sure it's worthless rather than trying to outbid them.

Weird stuff. Oh and this covers Baby Pac-Man as well, I guess. All the original Pac Family characters came from the US but Namco had Super Pac-Man and Pac and Pal. Given Namco's attitude, I'd expect the whole family to be replaced eventually.

Also, I had an acquaintance who was a member of the Magic Castle. He always told us if we were out that we, he could get us in. He was an odd dude, as you would imagine, but I always wanted to go. Never did and unfortunately he's gone now.

Cagcast: "Watch this bitches is sexist, how about... "What Would Wombat Watch".

Cheapy: "Shooting women's clothes off is sexist".

Also Cheapy: "I wouldn't marry a woman with boobs like that'.

Not complaining - I just find it funny. Don't change.

Wombat, my wife and I were genuinely upset for Michael Voltaggio losing to Brooke Williamson for a third year in a row in ToC. Myself a Voltaggio fan, and her a Williamson fan, we both felt the gut punch for Voltaggio.. We haven’t watched the latest episode yet, but here’s hoping Jet takes it all this year. Thanks again for the recommendation! 

bread's done
Back