Xbox Elite Controller 2 Refurb $104.99 at Best Buy

Even new ones seem to have a sketchy reliability reputation and this is a refurb. I admire your confidence. Please let us know how it goes.

Yeah this is replacing a new one.
I’m just playing the odds that this is barely/not used.

I’ve bought refurb products from BB before that seemed untouched.

Not a bad deal but since its a refurbished controller, may want to invest in the warranty which is $50+. If you already have total tech this is a great deal.

My first Elite was refurbed from Best Buy, and so is my second one now. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the deal post, Cheapy!

Got mine today, seems to work fine based on limited testing but it didn't come with any of the accessories, including the back paddles. Don't know whether I want to deal with the hassle of returning it or just buy an accessory pack somewhere.

Controller itself seems fine though so that's good to me!

Obviously gigantic YMMV, but here's what happened with mine.

Everything looked great and it included all that it should, just missing the booklets. However, the A button was not great. Had to press it a lot harder than normal to register. I could easily not put much pressure on it and wouldn't work at all.

Return options through the app/site were to print a return label or go to a store. Wife and I were going out anyway so we added Best Buy to the trip.

This is the YMMV part.

Best Buy was not busy but definitely understaffed. Waited at the checkout line which was also where they took returns. That's not exactly how I remember it, but it's been a while.

Tell the guy what happened and he said "So you want to exchange it?" Uh... yeah?

My biggest thing was I didn't want a refund because I didn't want to have to make another order. Returning through UPS would have resulted in the refund, thus the store visit, but this went WAY better than expected.

He offered the exchange and then went to the back to grab another one. My wife and I are starting to think he's grabbing a new one and not a refurb, so I tell her that we shouldn't get our hopes up if it doesn't work.

After a while, he makes it back, brand new controller box in hand. He said he didn't want to give us another refurb since it could also be messed up and he didn't want us to have to come back. Excellent!

We small talked a bit about this controller and the Elite Series 1, he went through the transaction and took off the $75 difference, and then he offered the replacement plan. I normally am not a sucker for these, but I've heard for years that it's a good idea with these controllers. After my experience earlier in the day, I understand. I also know this guy is going way above and beyond, so I decide I'll do it and give him the bonus points for the sale. He throws out the scenario of "maybe your right trigger stops working in almost two years, wink wink, and maybe there's a Series 3 controller at that point that you could put this toward." Don't know exactly how the upgrade path works, but I'm still down anyway. Bonus is that with the refurb pricing, the replacement plan was $10 cheaper.

So all said, I almost paid full retail, but I also got a new controller instead of a refurb and a guarantee of new controller in case something happens, wink wink.

Thanks again, Cheapy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know exactly how the upgrade path works, but I'm still down anyway. Bonus is that with the refurb pricing, the replacement plan was $10 cheaper.

So how it works is, you'd return the controller using the warranty as you would if you needed to replace it, they issue you the amount with tax i think onto a best buy gift card and you can either put it towards a new controller or if the series 3 is out by then, you could put it towards that and pay the difference, or if it's available for pre-order, you can preorder it.

Don't know exactly how the upgrade path works, but I'm still down anyway. Bonus is that with the refurb pricing, the replacement plan was $10 cheaper.

So how it works is, you'd return the controller using the warranty as you would if you needed to replace it, they issue you the amount with tax I think onto a best buy gift card and you can either put it towards a new controller or if the series 3 is out by then, you could put it towards that and pay the difference, or if it's available for pre-order, you can preorder it.

Got my controller yesterday and just checked it out. Seems perfect.

Like Z's situation, I figured I'd do that if there was any issue. I've now bought a refurb gaming monitor, headset, and controller from Best Buy. Very satisfied with all 3.

Got mine today, seems to work fine based on limited testing but it didn't come with any of the accessories, including the back paddles. Don't know whether I want to deal with the hassle of returning it or just buy an accessory pack somewhere.

Controller itself seems fine though so that's good to me!
I would bring it back to the store when its not too busy and see if you can score a new one like Z-saber.

Also want to mention that after trying the new one out, it almost has the same issue as the first, just not nearly as bad. If the first controller didn't register an A button press 9 out of 10 times, this one doesn't register it 1 out of 10 times.

It's still terrible for a brand new product, but I'm willing to accept it so I don't have to deal with them again right now. Looking it up, A button problems are a fairly common defect. Something with the design and the angle in which an individual presses the button. Guess I'm unlucky in that I hit it at that wrong angle. It's good that I mostly use the paddles for the face buttons anyway.

I think this new controller will eventually have an actual not wink wink button problem or two, so I feel even better about getting the protection plan.

Crazy how these things are both really great controllers and have horrific quality control.

That is also crazy. I used the back baffle for A, so I wish that was my issue with the first controller. Busted RB button for me.

It’s still the best controller.

Also want to mention that after trying the new one out, it almost has the same issue as the first, just not nearly as bad. If the first controller didn't register an A button press 9 out of 10 times, this one doesn't register it 1 out of 10 times.

It's still terrible for a brand new product, but I'm willing to accept it so I don't have to deal with them again right now. Looking it up, A button problems are a fairly common defect. Something with the design and the angle in which an individual presses the button. Guess I'm unlucky in that I hit it at that wrong angle. It's good that I mostly use the paddles for the face buttons anyway.

I think this new controller will eventually have an actual not wink wink button problem or two, so I feel even better about getting the protection plan.

Crazy how these things are both really great controllers and have horrific quality control.
I usually just map it to a paddle myself, only because the action button or the jump in multiplayer is mapped to the "A" button.

That is also crazy. I used the back baffle for A, so I wish that was my issue with the first controller. Busted RB button for me.
It’s still the best controller.
I’ve had the rb break already 3 different times. My controller was still under warranty though so got it replaced every time. Crossing my fingers it doesn’t happen again with this one.

I bought one some months back and after playing quite bit had the sticky A button and stick drift issues start to pop up. Was able to send it to Microsoft and got a replacement - which has stick drift (tho not as bad) and both LB and RB sometimes fail to register. At least the replacement process was pretty painless. Will probably send back this one as well. 

The controller feels solid and using the paddles to map A or other actions is really good in stuff like Fortnite, but the bumpers can be a deal breaker in some games. 

bread's done
Back