CAGcast #744: The Price of Free Speech

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Good 'cast...

I spit up my drink at the idea of "marble training".

Wombat, I haven't watched the Simpsons in at least 10 years but every time I see Tom Hanks' OR his name in print I ALWAYS think of Otm Shank. That joke sticks for some reason.

Also, glad to hear the Atari Anniversary Collection has Jaguar games... specifically my favorite Jaguar Game, Tempest 2000. Hopefully it lives up to my memories. I still have the soundtrack CD. 

I watched Poltergeist a few weeks ago with a friend who had never seen it. We had the same conversation about the parents smoking pot scene. It's especially weird as we have legalized weed in places now (not in my state) and it was so causal back then when it was illegal. Now it seems it's made into a bigger deal in media these days, like you say.

I also thought the contractors sexually harassing the teenaged daughter is a scene that wouldn't play today, even though she gives it back to them. I forgot about that one and it kind of shocked me that it happened and it was kind of no big deal with the guys who did the harassing not being punished in the film. Seems like a modern film would have had them all reach some sort of gristly end.

PG used to be a lot wilder rating. I've seen (brief) full-fontal in a PG film from the 70s.

Since Cheapy is doing more health related activities than gaming maybe it’s time for a rebranding? HealthyD perhaps? Just don’t stop the podcast. This is one of the few gaming podcasts I consistently listen to. Keep up the great show guys!

It’s a pretty interesting conversation about the appropriate age you should let your kids play games with a lot of shooting/killing. My son is 12, and has recently taken a much larger interest in playing more violent games. I have a pretty good idea on what I think is appropriate for him, but around a year ago I let him play The original Halo for the first time. I was around the same age that I started playing shooters and more mature titles, but I felt like Halo was a good toetip into the genre.

His friends at school vary on what they are allowed to play. Some kids play Fortnite, some play sports and racing games, but there are a couple who have played the more recent call of duty’s and even GTA V, which is mind blowing to me.

I have since let him play the Uncharted games, as well as Call of Duty 2 on the 360, but I don’t think I’ll push the shooter genre envelope anymore than that for a few years.

We also let him watch Poltergeist at 11 with us, not quite remembering just what was all in that movie… it was a maturity level changing experience for him.

Great show, as always, Guys!

Good call out on the PG rating assigned to Poltergeist. I recall that movie giving me nightmares when I watched it as a kid. That clown in the bedroom scene really freaked me out... I watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) for the first time this week and was amazed to learn that it, too, received a PG rating! That movie had some pretty heavy swearing, violent scenes depicting heads getting smashed in, and nude breasts in it... I couldn't believe that it was rated PG... I guess they used to believe the parents would do a better job back then only letting their kids watch appropriate things?

Now for something more video game-related... My 4 year old son has recently gotten into playing games and currently has his own Switch. He's been a pretty big fan of the Paw Patrol platformer games, but seems to have some issues navigating around the Lego Marvel games... He says he really likes them, but hasn't yet realized how certain characters need to be used for certain puzzles and keeps saying he needs me to "get him to the next level"... @shipwreck, I know both of your kids have played games since they were ~3 years old and that you said Dash has completed Lego Batman 3 on his own several times. Did it take him a long time to get accustomed to those Lego game characteristics or did he just dive right in? Was wondering if there was perhaps a different type of game that would be sort of a middle-ground between the Paw Patrol games and the Lego games until he's better acquainted with other video game play styles... I obviously don't mind sharing the experience with him as video games have been an integral part of my life for as long as I can remember, but I don't want him to get frustrated with them too frequently where he loses the desire to play. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome!  :D

Keep up the great work, Gentlemen!

Great show, as always, Guys!

Good call out on the PG rating assigned to Poltergeist. I recall that movie giving me nightmares when I watched it as a kid. That clown in the bedroom scene really freaked me out... I watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) for the first time this week and was amazed to learn that it, too, received a PG rating! That movie had some pretty heavy swearing, violent scenes depicting heads getting smashed in, and nude breasts in it... I couldn't believe that it was rated PG... I guess they used to believe the parents would do a better job back then only letting their kids watch appropriate things?

Now for something more video game-related... My 4 year old son has recently gotten into playing games and currently has his own Switch. He's been a pretty big fan of the Paw Patrol platformer games, but seems to have some issues navigating around the Lego Marvel games... He says he really likes them, but hasn't yet realized how certain characters need to be used for certain puzzles and keeps saying he needs me to "get him to the next level"... @shipwreck, I know both of your kids have played games since they were ~3 years old and that you said Dash has completed Lego Batman 3 on his own several times. Did it take him a long time to get accustomed to those Lego game characteristics or did he just dive right in? Was wondering if there was perhaps a different type of game that would be sort of a middle-ground between the Paw Patrol games and the Lego games until he's better acquainted with other video game play styles... I obviously don't mind sharing the experience with him as video games have been an integral part of my life for as long as I can remember, but I don't want him to get frustrated with them too frequently where he loses the desire to play. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome! :D

Keep up the great work, Gentlemen!
Try Untitled Goose Game, Donut County, and for Lego games Lego Incredibles is the easiest to learn for young kids.

The Toy Story 3 360 game (it's backwards compatible) is really good for young ones too. Fun co-op. They have have trouble with some of the parts, but the open world is fun to play around in and will help with learning camera control.

I did lean toward co-op with my kid for a long time. Now she's able to play more on her own (almost 8).

bread's done
Back