CAGcast #751: We've Played Everything!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Wombat whining about the Harry Potter books now…lol. Cmon dude. I know where you’re coming from, but if you’re not gonna talk about it, then don’t talk about it. Plus, Pattinson’s character didn’t drown.
I don’t support Rowling’s position, but Cheapy is right, the people that made the game have nothing to do with that. We’re supposed to punish them for making a, what looks to be an incredible game, because the creator has a shit view of people? It’s gonna be a best seller, and all you’re doing is stopping yourself from playing a great game.

It’s Wombats choice to not play Hogwarts Legacy, as well of the choice for a small but incredibly vocal percentage of people. His views of Rowling are warranted though, the company he works (worked?) for give him a unique perspective on issues most people don’t have. For him to pretend not to know details of the Harry Potter storyline is a little ridiculous, as he has in past CAGcast made it quite clear he was atleast somewhat a fan of the franchise up until Rowlings views on transgender people were made known, but it’s his prerogative to shit on the game if he wants to.

To ask for the developers of a game that is the brainchild of a universe created by Rowling to denounce her views is a bit asinine though. I’ve worked for people who I don’t completely agree with their views on things, but that’s life. You roll with it. It’s not really that different that having a Presidents whose views you don’t agree with. That’s life. You’re not always going to agree with the stupid shit people say, but they are still capable of creating content you enjoy. I don’t really care what Rowlings views on trans people are personally, but I’ll probably play Hogwarts Legacy when it hits $25.

In America you can’t force someone to share the same views as you, but you can choose not to buy certain books, movies, and games, but just because you choose not to, doesn’t mean millions of other people are going to follow suit. Plenty of people are going to boycott HL because of Rowling, but just as many, and probably a lot more, are going to buy it, because they enjoy Harry Potter, and don’t give a shit what she says on Twitter.

It’s Wombats choice to not play Hogwarts Legacy, as well of the choice for a small but incredibly vocal percentage of people. His views of Rowling are warranted though, the company he works (worked?) for give him a unique perspective on issues most people don’t have. For him to pretend not to know details of the Harry Potter storyline is a little ridiculous, as he has in past CAGcast made it quite clear he was atleast somewhat a fan of the franchise up until Rowlings views on transgender people were made known, but it’s his prerogative to shit on the game if he wants to.

To ask for the developers of a game that is the brainchild of a universe created by Rowling to denounce her views is a bit asinine though. I’ve worked for people who I don’t completely agree with their views on things, but that’s life. You roll with it. It’s not really that different that having a Presidents whose views you don’t agree with. That’s life. You’re not always going to agree with the stupid shit people say, but they are still capable of creating content you enjoy. I don’t really care what Rowlings views on trans people are personally, but I’ll probably play Hogwarts Legacy when it hits $25.

In America you can’t force someone to share the same views as you, but you can choose not to buy certain books, movies, and games, but just because you choose not to, doesn’t mean millions of other people are going to follow suit. Plenty of people are going to boycott HL because of Rowling, but just as many, and probably a lot more, are going to buy it, because they enjoy Harry Potter, and don’t give a shit what she says on Twitter.
Here is the problem with what you said, and it's very telling. You think it is OK for someone to view a Transgender person as less than, as that is just thier "view". I don't care what country someone is in, just because it's someone opinion doesn't make it right or OK. Opinions can be wrong, and JK's "opinion" is wrong, and no one should have it, and no one at any company should have to deal with someone that thinks that way. Yes, EA should denounce it, they same way they should denounce racism or anti-Semitism, if that was an issue with development with the game. Your comment while long, in my red-blooded American opinion was the stupidest thing I have read in quite sometime.

Agreed 100%. It's a shame people like Wombat don't seem to understand this.

Here is the problem with what you said, and it's very telling. You think it is OK for someone to view a Transgender person as less than, as that is just thier "view". I don't care what country someone is in, just because it's someone opinion doesn't make it right or OK. Opinions can be wrong, and JK's "opinion" is wrong, and no one should have it, and no one at any company should have to deal with someone that thinks that way. Yes, EA should denounce it, they same way they should denounce racism or anti-Semitism, if that was an issue with development with the game. Your comment while long, in my red-blooded American opinion was the stupidest thing I have read in quite sometime.
You are so blinded by your hatred for JK Rowling that I doubt you even know what her views on Trans people are. She has never once claimed that trans people are less than. This is the real problem right here, people will interpret someone's words or actions to mean whatever they want them to mean and then get mad at their interpretation and not what was actually said or done. Opinions can be wrong but in a free society people are allowed to have whatever opinions they want regardless if it hurts someone's feelings.

EA knew who they were getting involved with when they made the decision to make these games.  None of this is new.  They're not going to come out with a statement or do anything that could potentially hurt sales.  

Movie studios that hire Mel Gibson don't turn around and apologize.  Ezra Miller is still going to be the Flash.  Kyrie Irving is still playing for the Nets.  Kanye West is still selling music and available on Apple, Spotify and everything else.  There are people who keep paying their money for these people no matter what they say or do.  

It's no different with JK Rowling and Harry Potter.  People will buy this game and EA will promote it.   They don't need Wombat.  Pressing him on it when everyone knows his answer is pointless.  This isn't Howard Stern where part of the fun is attacking and tearing down the guys who work on the show.

No one is forcing anyone to buy or accept anything, but the countless people who made a game with characters that are beloved around the world shouldn't be punished for one idiot saying stupid shit. I can't agree with Wombat's position on that, but it's also not my job to. 

What I CAN agree with is Cheapy and Wombat perfectly articulating how I feel about new games these days.  I am 35, and my friends and I can't find ourselves getting excited about anything coming out. You guys are absolutely right. We have played it all.  So, I like many people have found that game that I like to spend my free time on. I play Halo Infinite/MCC cause I like Halo. There's tons of other new shooters out there, but they are all still just a FPS. Thankfully, at this point there really does seem to be a game for everyone. 

Agreed 100%. It's a shame people like Wombat don't seem to understand this.

You are so blinded by your hatred for JK Rowling that I doubt you even know what her views on Trans people are. She has never once claimed that trans people are less than. This is the real problem right here, people will interpret someone's words or actions to mean whatever they want them to mean and then get mad at their interpretation and not what was actually said or done. Opinions can be wrong but in a free society people are allowed to have whatever opinions they want regardless if it hurts someone's feelings.
I won't go into details, because I am doing JK research for you. But again, No, you cannot have any opinion you want. You can't believe that Jews or Black people or any group is less than and allow it. It's not about "hurt feelings", it's about people's lives.

I won't go into details, because I am doing JK research for you. But again, No, you cannot have any opinion you want. You can't believe that Jews or Black people or any group is less than and allow it. It's not about "hurt feelings", it's about people's lives.
You literally can. I or anybody else can have whatever opinion we want and there’s nothing you, the government or anybody can do to stop that. It’s impossible to police opinions, at best you can prevent certain ones from being discussed in a public space but that won’t stop people from having the opinions.

It literally is about hurt feelings, opinions don’t impact people’s lives, they hurt people’s feelings and we live in a society now where you will get backlash if you say something that hurts certain people’s feelings.

We will never agree on this which is fine, but I’ll end with this. The goal should be to change someone’s mind, not punish them or try to dictate what opinions and beliefs are allowed. That is an impossible task and will only lead to more conflict.

Looks like Hogwarts Legacy will be okay without your money Wombat.

[attachment=37757:7AFA5E2A-EFFA-443D-BC8D-D5BE24A4298D.jpeg]

Hogwarts Legacy just broke the all time views record for a single player game on Twitch.  1.2 million views at once.  

So much for the boycott.

When the guys basically said they've played everything already that kind of resonated with me.  I can't remember the last time I was truly excited to play a game if I'm honest. 

It's weird that Cheapy don't get excited for Forza anymore, that used to be his jam.  It's distracting that Shipwreck doesn't go on long chats about the "new games" that have come out that he's excited about...because there are none.  Lastly, it's sad that Wombat has basically only played one game for years now.  

With that all being said I think the cagcast may be coming to and end soon folks.  Not because the guys really want it to, and not because we do either...it just kinda feels like the guys have no choice but to end it soon.  I hope not, because then what?!  No gaming podcast for me?  /sad face

I think for us grumpy old bastards it may be the end of this chapter and time to begin a new one.  We'll see..

bread's done
Back