Cheapass DvD Shelf?

MegaMan3k

CAGiversary!
Well, since joining CAG I've found that my amount of DvD games and movies has skyrocketed, and quite frankly, I'm clean out of space. I have two DvD towers, and both are full. Two of my clothes drawers are overflowing with games, and practically breaking because of the weight.

I started a task of removing my books from my bookshelf and replacing them with DvDs, but I found this to be ineffective as it's clearly not built for DvD sizes in mind.

In a lot of pictures of peoples collections, I notice large structures that hold DvDs rather nicely. This is what I'm looking for. I bought one at Target tonight and assembled it, however it's quality is laughable and I will be returning it tomorrow. It tilts forward without even having anything inside of it, and I can practically bend the pieces with my own arms.

Can anybody reccomend me a decent shelf online or something to look for in store? On Monday I will be going out to the Unfinished Furniture Store to look there, but personally my hopes are limited.

Preferably, I'm looking for a solid style, not a wireframe, and I'd prefer them to lie vertically (like books) rather than horizonally like a wireframe DvD tower.

Thanks.

Hmm... I was really looking for a shelf - partly for an aestetic taste. Worst comes to worst, that would work though. If I were to alphabitize (oh man, it's late, I just know I misspelled that) my collection, is it easy to go in and insert a game to keep order?

Edit - Nevermind the part about alphabetizing, I see now that it just holds 205 sleeves, and I assume you can move them around.

[quote name='MegaMan3k']Hmm... I was really looking for a shelf - partly for an aestetic taste. Worst comes to worst, that would work though. If I were to alphabitize (oh man, it's late, I just know I misspelled that) my collection, is it easy to go in and insert a game to keep order?

Edit - Nevermind the part about alphabetizing, I see now that it just holds 205 sleeves, and I assume you can move them around.[/QUOTE]
Yes, these are 'hanging sleeves so you can pull them out individually.

With things like this you get what you pay. I once paid 20 bucks for one back in the PS1 & DC days one of the shelves broke under the weight of 12 cd cases. I would do the above mentioned however I have so many game sometimes I forget the controls for all of them. So I need the case out on display. If you want something good make sure it's made of with a real grain wood not Fiberboard, particle board etc.

I recall a thread somewhere that a person used cinder blocks and sawed-off peices of 2x4'd to make a media shelf of any size.

You take your plank then evenly place two cinder blocks at opposites of the plank and repeat.

Though I'm more of a 200-400 CD/DVD binder guy, I'd do this method to save some cash.

For the moment, I have just some cheap DVD shelves that I got from Target. Ran me about $10 per a shelf with room to store about 120 DVDs.

I was looking at some DVD/CD shelves at best buy the other day and they looked quite nice and they were fairly inexpensive. They looked almost identical to the ones from DeepDiscountDVD in bmarquardt's post. They didn't have any set up though that I could see so I can't coment on build/material quality.

I have a Plano Durashelf that I bought from Bed, Bath & Beyond a while back when looking for shelves. I don't think I was very expensive, like maybe more than $15-$20. Don't remember. Couldn't find the exact one that I have one the Plano website, nor did I find it on the Bed, Bath & Beyond website.

The dimensions of mine are about 14.25"L x 34"W x 55.5"H. It has 4 shelves and it's made of hard black plastic. Not to fancy, but durable. I lay the DVDs spine up, and each shelf will hold about 96 DVDs that way. Only 48 per shelf if you want the spine out and one row on each shelf.

http://www.planomolding.com/HardwareProductsPage.htm

I have long held an image in my mind of the ideal dvd storage tower, something that blends highend furniture with easy accessibility- a display piece in and of itself- but have yet to see anything truly inspiring.

Because one cannot store dvds inside mental images, i ended up settling for a couple $40 dvd towers from ikea- if you have one nearby it is worth checking out, but online i doubt it

bread's done
Back