Ok, I need help with this lag

rocksolidaudio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So, as everyone knows, I've been getting ridiculous lag since I moved three weeks ago. Sometimes it's better than others, but at the best points it still throws everything off slightly. At it's worst it's completely unplayable. So, if anyone knows any techie stuff that may be able to help, please speak up, I would really appreciate it. Comcast tells me to talk to Microsoft, and Microsoft tells me to talk to Comcast. And neither has been helpful at all. The weirdest part is that my internet connection is great otherwise. On dslreports.com I got a 1914d/327u just now on their bandwidth test, and my roomate is on soulseek. From the Xbox dashboard test (main menu -> settings -> network settings -> connect -> then hit Y after you get a connection) I get an L:58ms(59ms), and P:20/20. So in theory, everything should be running swell. So what the fuck gives?

[quote name='Phazing Zero']Demoted as in "Staff, Member, Peon?" I'm already a Peon for whatever reason.

Get a better connection, fag.[/QUOTE]

you do know, next step is removal right? And if you didnt, you know now. :lol:

anyways how was your connection on Project Snowblind?

I'm guessing shrike will know something to help you out. Also, if shrike can't help you, you should get this moved to like the PC forum so more people than just the clan will see it.

Um. Kado got on my account and made me say it...

Good cover up?

Edit: Dude, mine and Kado's connections used to be that bad. Remember? It took a good 5 or 6 weeks to clear up. Comcast sucks. Period. Another reason it happend is because of cold weather. I don't know where you live, or where you moved to, but is it cold down there? If so, that may be your problem.

[quote name='Phazing Zero']Um. Kado got on my account and made me say it...

Good cover up?

Edit: Dude, mine and Kado's connections used to be that bad. Remember? It took a good 5 or 6 weeks to clear up. Comcast sucks. Period. Another reason it happend is because of cold weather. I don't know where you live, or where you moved to, but is it cold down there? If so, that may be your problem.[/QUOTE]

Me and Leds comcast seem to be fine, except for that one week, the DNS was all fucked.

But anyways, rock still lives in the same city i think, so i dont see why his internet is fucked now, when it was just fine before he moved

I check your constant connection, whats your lowest speed and whats your average, comcast should be able to tell you. Then make sure nothing else on your network is talking out and that you don't have QOS enabled on your router/server, could be capping your xbox bandwidth.

[quote name='ZeroSupporT']I check your constant connection, whats your lowest speed and whats your average, comcast should be able to tell you. Then make sure nothing else on your network is talking out and that you don't have QOS enabled on your router/server, could be capping your xbox bandwidth.[/QUOTE]

comcast wouldn't give me much information about my connection at all, they're a bunch of douche-rockets.. also, i couldn't find anything called QOS in the router settings but i've tried going straight to the modem and it didn't improve things.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']and the first person to say "get a better connection, fag" gets demoted :p[/QUOTE]

Get a better connection. Oh, wait, he can't demote me. :D

We'll start with an easy one. Swap out the Ethernet cable going to the Xbox with a different one, like the one from your PC. See if the problem disappears.

Also, what router do you have? Manufacturer and model number, please, which should be on the underside and/or back of the router.

Next thing is to check is the firmware version of your router. Check with the vendor of the router to see if the FW on your router is "compatible" with Xbox Live. If it's an older version, see what the current one is, and how many revisions have gone through since the one that's there. If it's older, think about updating it to the latest version.

[quote name='shrike4242']Get a better connection. Oh, wait, he can't demote me. :D

We'll start with an easy one. Swap out the Ethernet cable going to the Xbox with a different one, like the one from your PC. See if the problem disappears.

Also, what router do you have? Manufacturer and model number, please, which should be on the underside and/or back of the router.

Next thing is to check is the firmware version of your router. Check with the vendor of the router to see if the FW on your router is "compatible" with Xbox Live. If it's an older version, see what the current one is, and how many revisions have gone through since the one that's there. If it's older, think about updating it to the latest version.[/QUOTE]

i've tried swapping out the cables, my router is a speedstream 2602, and i have the latest firmware. thanks for the help thus far, i'm willing to try anything.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']i've tried swapping out the cables, my router is a speedstream 2602, and i have the latest firmware. thanks for the help thus far, i'm willing to try anything.[/QUOTE]

Next step. Try a different router.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']yeah, i moved about 10 blocks away, still with comcast, same connection package and everything.[/QUOTE]

So I took this to mean that you're using all the same equipment that you had before as well, is that right? So the router and all the settings haven't changed?

If that's the case, it might be the quality of the existing (in-wall) cables at your new place, or other people using the same lines, or maybe even you're hanging off a different office switch or box even though you're only 10 blocks away. How long has it been since you moved, does your Xbox need to relearn the router paths again like after the Autoupdate (this is if you're off a different switch therefore having a different path). I dunno, just wild guesses here.

And, if that's not the case, have you bypassed the router and gone directly from modem to Xbox? If that fixes it, then like Shrike said, get a new router. Also try connecting the modem to a different wall jack. Check the quality of the wall jack (pull the plate off, check that the cable is crimped and connected securely - I've seen poor crimps that have had the coax falling out before).

[quote name='SeeYa']So I took this to mean that you're using all the same equipment that you had before as well, is that right? So the router and all the settings haven't changed?

If that's the case, it might be the quality of the existing (in-wall) cables at your new place, or other people using the same lines, or maybe even you're hanging off a different office switch or box even though you're only 10 blocks away. How long has it been since you moved, does your Xbox need to relearn the router paths again like after the Autoupdate (this is if you're off a different switch therefore having a different path). I dunno, just wild guesses here.

And, if that's not the case, have you bypassed the router and gone directly from modem to Xbox? If that fixes it, then like Shrike said, get a new router. Also try connecting the modem to a different wall jack. Check the quality of the wall jack (pull the plate off, check that the cable is crimped and connected securely - I've seen poor crimps that have had the coax falling out before).[/QUOTE]

That's where I was going to go with the next step. If the new router (since someone said they didn't care what steps were taken, so picking up a router isn't out of the realm of insane, and should be returnable without any issues) fixes the problem, then the SpeedStream router was the issue. If not, then it might be something environmental, like SeeYa suggested. New place could have bad cables, either in the walls or at the distribution box. Though, from the speed numbers he's posted, which seem decently quick, I'm betting on the router being the issue.

If not, then I'd get Comcast to drag their asses out there and prove to you that it's the Xbox with the issue.

yeah, i tried it straight to the modem, no luck. so i'm thinking it's not the router. it seems like it has to do with the signal being consistent, no necessarily just being strong during one bandwidth test. thanks for all the help so far guys.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']yeah, i tried it straight to the modem, no luck. so i'm thinking it's not the router. it seems like it has to do with the signal being consistent, no necessarily just being strong during one bandwidth test. thanks for all the help so far guys.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it could really be the quality of the line or the connection at the wall or distribution panel then. A couple years ago I moved cubes at work and then Outlook kept giving me random can't connect to server errors. I still had a connection, the speed was fine, but Outlook kept giving me trouble. They ended up testing the line and there were a lot of collisions, so they moved me to a different port on the patch panel, and everything was fine after that. It just happened that Outlook was more sensitive to the problems, probably because it's constantly checking the server for new email, than other apps. I'm thinking Halo and Live would need that constant, clean connection as well. Good luck.

I have worked a ton with setting up large houses with multiple cable hookups and the effect of splitting and signal loss. Real quick are you splitting your cable signal that goes to your modem between it and the tv? If so try undoing the split. Also check your connection speed if all the tvs in the house are turned off, also if you are using cable boxes turn them off. Finally if you have to bring a Comcast tech out and have him check the consistency of the cable signal at the modem, not just connectivity.

Are you getting pulled out of games because of it or does it still let you play, while being lagtacular, until you can't bear it anymore?

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']yeah, i tried it straight to the modem, no luck. so i'm thinking it's not the router. it seems like it has to do with the signal being consistent, no necessarily just being strong during one bandwidth test. thanks for all the help so far guys.[/QUOTE]

If you went direct to the modem, replacing the router won't fix it.

As said by Zero and SeeYa, the signal is fine for something like web surfing and other PC-based Internet traffic, where it'll wait for packet losses without any real notice by you, though XBL, being a more stream-based Internet service, gets real testy by having packet losses.

In summary, drag Comcast out there and let them put a meter on it and see what they say is going on.

yeah, i guess getting comcast out here for a fourth time is my only option. the only problem is if it's not their hardware failing they'll charge me for the visit.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']yeah, i guess getting comcast out here for a fourth time is my only option. the only problem is if it's not their hardware failing they'll charge me for the visit.[/QUOTE]

Can you borrow someone's Xbox and see if it behaves the same way when plugged directly into your cable modem before Comcast has to come out there?

If it behaves OK, then your Xbox's Ethernet port might be getting problematic. If it misbehaves, then it's either the cable feed into your place or the cable modem.

In that case, and the cable modem is still under warranty, get it replaced and see if it makes any difference. Otherwise, might need to buy a new one.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']well i tried a different halo disc, and no luck. i'm going to try a different xbox next.[/QUOTE]

That'll be the real test to see what the issue is.

To make sure I'm understanding it OK, at your old place, it wasn't an issue, and at the new place, it is?

[quote name='shrike4242']To make sure I'm understanding it OK, at your old place, it wasn't an issue, and at the new place, it is?[/QUOTE]

indeed. same ISP, fifteen or so blocks away, same service, same everything.

well don't i have all the luck? it's like some benevolent force doesn't want me to play lagless halo. i finally haul home a different xbox, and it has trouble reading discs and freezes during matchmaking. i guess i'll swap it out tomorrow, but fuck this is getting annoying.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']well don't i have all the luck? it's like some benevolent force doesn't want me to play lagless halo. i finally haul home a different xbox, and it has trouble reading discs and freezes during matchmaking. i guess i'll swap it out tomorrow, but fuck this is getting annoying.[/QUOTE]

The way it's going, you are not meant to be playing Halo 2 lag-free, no.

I hope you find one that behaves properly and gives you the testing you need. I'm still betting it's a Comcast issue, though testing with another Xbox is the only way to be 100% sure.

So, rock, what was the final result of this problem? I saw you were playing in a match last night, and the last I heard about this, you were going to switch Xbox units and see if that made any difference.

[quote name='shrike4242']So, rock, what was the final result of this problem? I saw you were playing in a match last night, and the last I heard about this, you were going to switch Xbox units and see if that made any difference.[/QUOTE]

although there was still some lag, it was a lot better than last time.. nice playin with you rock without the lag :)

well, i switched out my xbox, and it didn't make a bit of difference. though it has seemed a bit better recently (on my end, and for others), it's still not great. i guess it must be comcast, so next time i'm over at my dads place (so i can use a regular phone and not have to worry about minutes) i'm going to call and talk to a supervisor, and make them sort this shit out.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']well, i switched out my xbox, and it didn't make a bit of difference. though it has seemed a bit better recently (on my end, and for others), it's still not great. i guess it must be comcast, so next time i'm over at my dads place (so i can use a regular phone and not have to worry about minutes) i'm going to call and talk to a supervisor, and make them sort this shit out.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear, and good luck with it.

well, i guess it worked itself out. i haven't had any unusual lag in the past 5 days or so, and i'm loving it. maybe halo just had to get comfortable with my connection, who knows. hopefully it stays this way, and thanks again to those who offered their help.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']well, i guess it worked itself out. i haven't had any unusual lag in the past 5 days or so, and i'm loving it. maybe halo just had to get comfortable with my connection, who knows. hopefully it stays this way, and thanks again to those who offered their help.[/QUOTE]

Looks like the cable company was the issue all along. Glad it didn't cost you anything but time and some frustration.

bread's done
Back